Alright Sup Forums, my laptop broke the other week, and I'm in need of a new laptop to last me more than two years...

Alright Sup Forums, my laptop broke the other week, and I'm in need of a new laptop to last me more than two years. I'm looking at a maxed out rMBP 13 and a maxed out Dell XPS 13. I use my laptop for photo editing, video editing, programming, compiling, web browsing, light gaming, etc. Out of those two laptops, which would you recommend and why? Also, if I go the Apple route, I'm keeping OS X since I have yet to use it, and it's also based on unix, but will dual boot either arch or ubuntu. If I go the Dell route, I'm putting either arch or ubuntu on it.

I'm saving up money to purchase, although I think I could do fine on the base model of the rMBP. As long as it has 8gb ram.

Forgot my trip whoops. I'm on mobile so I guess it doesn't save it sometimes.

>last me more than two years
>mac

Pick one.

Why wouldn't a high end piece of hardware or software last me more then two years? I'm hoping to actually get around 4+ years, but 2 is a minimum.

Macbooks start overheating, the batteries shit out, the screens crap out, and none of it is covered under Apple care.

You are better off with the Dell or maybe one of the ThinkPad workstations like the Yoga P40.

My last laptop was a Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 and that's the one that crapped out, and I never hear of these Apple problems, and I look for them.

>high end piece of hardware
You got meme'd.

Product A is priced at $1500 and has a profit margin of 55%.

Product B is priced at $1500 and has a profit margin of 5%.

Which will get you a better product for your money?

>I never hear of these Apple problems, and I look for them.
Your shill is showing.

They have pretty identical hardware, one has much better build quality, and one also makes its own os.
How does that make me a shill?

So why would you buy the mac when the XPS has much better build quality?

I know you guys like to circlejerk about Macs sucking, but I'm being serious. They have superior build quality to any other laptop, have an amazing screen (a 16:10 at that), top end hardware, etc.

Fuck off Pajeet. You aren't fooling anyone.

I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and your passive aggressiveness isn't helpful you waste of space.

>shilling overheating throttling exploding mactrash

Fuck off you waste of space.

I've never used a Mac for personal use, and try coming up with a better insult than the one I used dumb dumb.

easy the rMBP. but in all honesty the new 12" Macbook is really good as well. The 2016 model is a shitton more powerful than last years. Plenty of yt videos show it keeps pace with far more powerful machines in processor heavy tasks like editing and transcoding 4k videos etc. Definitely worth a look if you're on a tighter butdget

>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel themselves has admitted it's utter shit now and has trashed the design to go back to copying 90's era laptops with solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>ultra shit tier zero travel chiclet keyboard
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats at the slightest task because abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz because of chronic overheating problems
>retina meme supposedly for "pros" have have blurry as shit retina meme scaling

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

Thanks for the reply. I'll save up for the rMBP. I would also be getting a student discount, so that helps with pricing too.

Take it from someone who's been around the block a few times: go with the Mac. Windows laptops always look great and seem like a good idea, but nobody stands behind their computers like Apple does. Sure, you get faggots rolling through Mac generals pasting posts from the Apple support forums about their fucked up Macs, but the only reason there are so many of those is because there's actually a specific place to go to complain about Macs, and because people actually have the standards to bother complaining about their Macs, instead of just accepting busted-ass garbage as the norm, like people do on Windows.

2 rupees have been deposited in your designated shill account Pajeet.

Thank you. I really just wanted advice and only you and one other person has given me it.

Why are you talking to yourself?

You're welcome.

Another piece of Mac advice: get Parallels Desktop or something like it. You won't need it all the time, but having a sandboxed Windows install lying around will save your ass in some stupid situation someday, I guarantee it.

>macshit is good
Yeah, that's why every time they have massive problems apple refuse to fix shit until literally hundreds of thousands of customers come together to file a class action lawsuit to make applel go "ok here's a coupon to use on your next mac lol".

that's a waste of ssd space IMO. i've used a macbook air as my daily driver since 2011 and for the first 4 years waste space on a windows fallback in one way or another (first 6 months boot camp partition, the rest of the time a vbox vdi). i NEVER used them enough to justify the space they took. especially once you learn how to properly use OSX. if you need to test IE or edge compatability (hue) ms has cloud tools for that. there's zero reason to bother with windows nowadays

which is a hundred times better than denying there's a problem or telling you to fuck off which is what dell or HP would do

Confirmation bias. In the event that there were exactly as many instances in which Apple dealt with a problem swiftly -- perhaps even before it became a massive problem to begin with -- you wouldn't have heard about it. And if you had heard, you wouldn't be inclined to talk about it, because it would contradict your worldview.

Why not just use wine?

>and I never hear of these Apple problems, and I look for them.

You are:

A) retarded, in which case learn how to use a search engine instead of watching TV commercials and apple.com for your tech news.

B) Lying, in which case fuck off.

Why do VMs exist alongside Wine?

That's why.

>2011
Really digging huh, and also, when has there been anything recent?

Mactard confirmed too poor to afford Dell on-site warrnty which actually sends a person to my house to fix my computer instead of forcing me to drive to some hell hole mall and suffering the stench of a hundred appletards waiting in line for repairs on their broken iTrash.

Running Linux I never needed anything other than wine, but I guess I just had different needs.

>mactard immediately focuses in on the oldest instance and ignores the biggest recent appleshit failures

Fuck off retard.

What are your prices on each OP? I would honestly say you should go with a business class notebook, they usually are a bit better than most consumer grade laptops.

The latest things were relating to the 2011 thing.

Why do you feel the need to lie to shill your fruity toy garbage here? Are your stocks crashing that badly?

I don't own a laptop atm, so I'm not shilling anything. I'm looking to purchase a quality laptop.

>i'll just pretend to be blind and throw a red herring lol apple winz again!! xD

Troll thread. Everyone go home.

Get a Precision 5510
/thread

Mine is running like day 1 five years later.
Stop spreading FUD.

>SPEND2,2K ON A LAPTOP
>buying an i7 dual core '

kys

Fix the old one you stupid tripfaggot.

ignore the fuckers telling you to avoid Apple.
I fucking hated the iPhone 6 when I had one, but the rMBP 13" is a great buy.

Same. I don't like most Apple products but at the very least OSX is worth having

It's not great, and you got buyer's remorse.
Kys applefag