X86

>x86
When autismal maximalism goes too far.

More like autismal backwards compatibility. Its disgusting how much old crap you have to go through to get from post to desktop.

Enjoy your limited shitty mobile OS. I hope MS will save us from outdated android and iOS and make Surface phone on x86.

when will it be time for a clean break with a completely new instruction set? Or is it just going to be x86/x64 and ARM until the end of time?

Enjoy your fan cooled phone

Don't care really. Much better than 100500 cores that throttles after 10 seconds of use (any android phone right now). At least there will be real programs that actually resource hungry.

>when will it be time for a clean break with a completely new instruction set?
The window of opportunity for this to happen slammed shut years ago, PCs and other devices are more homogeneous in terms of CPU architectures they use now than they were in the 80's and all the grand plans to create standard RISC desktop computing platforms to replace IBM compatibles had their moment in the sun then failed back in the 90's

Core M

tnemmoc

>use atom
>can't use maya
>can't use abelton live
>can't use zbrush
>can't use photoshop
>can't use solidworks
>can't use matlab

yes i've always wanted to suddenly lose my job

>implying you need a totally optimized CPU for browsing memebook and sending emojis

Remember who the primary market of smartphones are

Z3735f here, i can use GIMP and Photoshop with no problme.

i don't believe you.

Well i do have problems with it, but i blame it that i only have 2GB RAM.

Post your task manager, desu familia.
I'm seriously thinking of selling my i7 x230 with 16GiBs of RAM and getting a cheap atom powered tablet with 2GiBs of RAM

You know, ARM is actually getting pretty close to price/performance compared to amd64. And we're starting to get some laptops with ARM and apple might switch to ARM according to rumours. Within a few years, it might actually be a feasible architecture to use on my desktop. Even if it's slightly weaker I won't mind because MUH FREEDUMS

amd64 is not an architecture, it's an instruction set you dumb anime poster.

Whatever you get what I mean

we're not getting close at all since x86 has sse2 and a ton of other shit being added to it.

Look at cheap atoms vs ARM processors of comparable prices.

price doesn't match value when you're talking about a market that wants applications of a specific category such as 3DCG or simulations. if it's just the average consumer, you could look at chromebooks and see the disparity right there.

tnemmoc

Is Intel closed Atom to start replacing it with Core M?

back to 9gag with you

I'm not saying that it's going to replace x86 for workstations and "muh games" shit. I just said a feasible architecture to use on a desktop with good performance. Chromebooks and potentially other laptops will help get it there, and then we'll be seeing all-in-ones and mini-desktops come with them.

most people don't see it that way. they want performance out of their computer and they won't look at something that's considered different from x86 as a valid alternative when there's nothing to gain from it on the user-end. that's what i'm trying to tell you.

Not really, general consumers will buy whatever is thrown at them. Linux didn't take over phones because people chose it, they bought it because it was available.

linux being on phones is a completely different scale though. in this case it's more like people going towards firefox phones over android and ios. it's just not prominent enough