USB vs PCI-E Wifi Card for Desktop

Due to location circumstances I can't really have modem/router in the location of a desktop nor can I run a really long cable or be drilling in walls and things like that and need for my desktop to get wifi that is of the more recent standards (n and ac) While I'm sure in a general sense using the pci-e ones are better because of antennas and things the prices of them are a bit higher vs paying around 30 or less for just a simple USB stick. Just wondering if the stick can serve me just fine the internet speed goes to 100meg so whatever gets me close enough to that.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704274
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106251
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3434738&cm_re=Gigabyte-GC-WB867D-I-_-9SIA24G3434738-_-Product
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>100megs

Try 5 with that PoS. Can you use PowerLine at least?

>Prices for them are a bit higher than paying around 30 or less
Mine cost like $18 and gets >20Mb/s being ~50ft vertically above the router
$30 stick will get around 0.000000004Kb/Hr

>What is ethernet over power lines?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication

I doubt that's an option with how there's sometimes electrical noise, at least that's what my battery detects. I most likely have to get a pci-e card it seems like. Any recommendations ?

if your tower supports m.2 wifi cards use those tbqhwy senpai. they're better and cheaper

I doubt it the computer and case are 5 years old.
As I said I think the power line has too much electrical noise issues.

Also I think that might actually cost more than just getting a pci-e card.

All the good cards are mPCIe and/or M2, so get an adapter and a good card.
Intel 7260/8260 is the good value option, a QCA9880-based card is more expensive but better end result.
Stay away from Broadcrap.

I'm also looking for a wifi card for my old retro xp-rig, can only be PCI though and offcourse with xp drivers. Looking to play some oldschool cs 1.6 online with it, any suggestions?

What about TP-Link I see alot of those when I look at newegg.

Like for example I see this one
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704274

Doubtful considering you can change the frequency way above anything else on the line. You could also try MoCa if you have coax nearby
These wifi cards should be a last resort. They cost too much for what they provide.

That being said yea Tp-link is fine.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106251 I do see this one that's intel I think that's what you ment?

It's irrelevant unless you need an antenna with high gains.
If you do you use a PCI card and buy separate antenas and replace them with the ones that came with the card.
If not just grab the cheapest adapter you can find.

Cable is way better on the long term though.
It's always easier to pass cable once and never have to give a fuck about wether it's going to be a sunny day or a fucking storm outside fucking up your wireless.

Yes, the Intel ones are good value. The only real upgrade from there is a QCA, but those are much more expensive.

I mean I WISH I could run the cables and would honestly do it if I could . This is one of my only options really. Can't drill into the walls, can't have a big cable running all over the place, etc.

Then run it outside.
Use some of those stupid nail cable holders on the wall and your Gucci.
You can even put outlets to make it even look better.

Still would require drilling into walls that I can't be drilling into. Really I thought of stuff like that.

this desu senpai, just get some thick cable and run it outside, theyre durable. Bury it if you want, a few inches down and you'd be good.

Not really you can just drill into the wood of a window or something.
Wireless is shit indoors specially if your using a desktop.

My advice convince whoever your living with to let you setup cable all over the house with outlets and shit.

>Asks for best possible wifi solution
>States clearly a cable is NOT possible
>user you must get a cable
Sup Forums

They're shit!
You are interfering with other wireless communication services

The ethernet over power line adapters are creating large interference from 2 MHz up to 30 MHz and should not be allowed.

Your house doesn't have coaxial wiring for your power lines, does it?
No? So then your house becomes a giant antenna that transmitts a spurious signal in this frequency band (2 - 30 MHz).

Also, anyone can read your private netwok traffic
> but they're engrypded
HA! Trust this proprietary shit!
ANYONE CAN "LISTEN" TO YOUR INTERNAL NETWOK TRAFFIC.

Also, the network just doesn't stop at your wall box.
if your neighbor also has ethernet over power, he can join YOUR network.

HA! You trust WPA2 DON'T YOU YOU FUCKING RETARDED SHIT LORD. FACE IT, YOU'RE HOUSE IS ALREADY A, POWERLINE. FBI BIGGER SHILL LORD WANTS TO LURE OP INTO FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY. FUCK OFF FBI YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ANYONE...!

As I said before powerline won't work the line's got too much noise on it.

>You trust WPA2
what is ethernet?

>YOU'RE HOUSE IS ALREADY A, POWERLINE
No I'm not a house!

If it was:
>YOUR HOUSE IS ALREADY A, POWERLINE
No, my house is not a copper cable!

Captcha: DEAD END

having to use wifi ever

POWERLINE SHOULD BE BANNED!

I think you need to cool off son. Go to your room and think about what you said.

I've got one myself and it's pretty nice. Not too fond of the end that you have hanging it around but that's alright.

if it was in stock this one's even cheaper newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3434738&cm_re=Gigabyte-GC-WB867D-I-_-9SIA24G3434738-_-Product

Why the fuck is your router more than 100m away from the desktop?

Well distance wise if I was able to drill into the walls/floors etc it isn't that far away but since I can't it would require a hell alot of cable. Really nothing I could do about it. As to why it's there in the first place? Not something I could really control.

I use this adapter and an ASUS N66U www.amazon.com/dp/B007PY0Q8K

Has a Ralink chipset that works in lincucks, gets 450mbps and 1ms ping thru 3 walls.

Might upgrade to AC soon, but I'm waiting for the tri-band multi stream models to come down in price.

I'm in sort of the same position. Does ASUS make good PCI wireless cards?

I forgot to add that I dualboot Windows and Linux so I need a card that works for both

Well one thing i notice about some of these cards is that they actually have an upgradable slot. Does this mean that if there was another standard added that I could just stick a card in there and get that standard?

WHY?

I've never seen that before, only the ones with a replaceable antenna.

Don't see how a slot could change the entire chipset/standard like that. I paid fuckall for this thing anyhow, so you should be able to find similar chipset cards for cheap.

Yeah some of the linked to seem to have something like that I've never seen it before either. But then again last time I ever even made a purchase like this was many years ago and the best standards was still G.