/pst/ - Portable Speaker Thread

/pst/ - Portable Speaker Thread

What do you currently dig when it comes to blasting your basement and gardenbunker?

I just recently bought the JBL Xtreme and the bass is probably the biggest you can get for the size and volume.

Other urls found in this thread:

oluvsgadgets.net/2015/06/jbl-charge-2-141-firmware-fix.html
walmart.com/ip/HMDX-HX-P540RD-Jam-Rewind-Bluetooth-Speaker-Red/36441676
youtube.com/watch?v=VGKbqWGnmTI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

An iPhone with Beats.

Sony XB3 here. Not as good as the JBL but it's almost half the price here in Aus.
It's amazing how much bass such tiny things can produce these days. Feels like it breaks the laws of physics.

I have a JBL charge 2, good at parties that tend to be "on the go"

Sony SRS-X33

Got it from Best Buy when it went on sale for like $60 but regularly goes for like $130

Pretty damn good, only thing missing is it being waterproof.

Beats pill here. I know >beats but I got it for free as a company gift and it's adequate for hotel rooms and doesn't take much room in my luggage. Beats (no pun intended) hotel room TV speakers that are usually locked to a particular max volume.

Tried the Pill in the store. Not even in the same ballpark as Sonys and JBL speakers.

The speakers are much larger and 3x more expensive, yet they sound like slightly better iPad speakers.

>laws of physic

yeah. it's a pro and a con at the same time since inbuilt digital sound processors just tweak their shit so much that it might sound colored but still very enjoyable and optimised.

in my opinion, the denon envaya mini ist the best you can do if you want the smallest size.

soon the jbl charge 3 will be out in all regions and this will be the new benchmark i believe

OP here, had the charge aswell. have you upgraded the firmware yet to charge2+?

I blast my slaps on a counterfeit Minilink I bought off Aliexpress for like $20 bucks.

UE MEGABOOM ftw

Bose SoundLink Mini II is the best in it's size category

i heard it has a weak frequency response. the only thing being that it is great for 360° play

More like megashit

I'm not sure about that. I listen to it on 20 mile bike rides out of my friends backpack and it works pretty damn well.

that's not a good way to measure soundquality compared to other products though..

sometimes logitech fags always just yell for the products without doing proper research first...

You're right, actually using a product is horrible research.

we are on Sup Forums.
by your logic everyone would listen to beats headphones in here

Yeah, nobody actually uses anything they buy on Sup Forums.
Disregard my statement.

Just got a JBL Flip 3 a couple weeks ago and its been a great travel speaker. I find myself using it around the house more than I thought I would too just because it does sound good and its nice to be able to take it from room to room.

Also, using it in the shower is fantastic for waking up in the morning.

you don't get the point. if you say something something ftw. this is just hot blogging, not an actual discussion enabler.

>JBL Flip 3
i think jbl does one of the best can sized speakers overall with the flip series.

the sound is very dynamic and funky, but i dislike their colored pulse series

Is this the millenials version of a ghetto blaster?

far more developed, for the techniggers out there

Uhh... No? Should I?

yup, you definately should. it increases soundquality by subjectively 15%

especially on low levels.

it basically upgrades your charge2 to a + for free

oluvsgadgets.net/2015/06/jbl-charge-2-141-firmware-fix.html

>more developed

Seen plenty of plebians rolling with blue-tooth speakers blasting down big metropolitan areas. There's nothing high-tech about bluetooth.

Sup Forumsrother. especially nice 'cause work gave me a 50% discount on it

it's about high efficient components which would last you more atleast more than 10 hours if you got a good one.

ghettoblaster back in the day were heavy as fuck and needed batteries, atleast 6 of those huge CR2 variants to cover you for 2 hours maybe

Most of them don't go down to 20-30hz. Most computer speakers are the same way. Why is that? Some electronic tracks do go that low.

obviously it's phyiscal limitation due to size of drivers.

the secret is to not listen to happy hipster core.

portable speakers up to 300$ don't go lower than 60hz mostly but it is sufficient if you don't listen to the deepest psytrance.

just take a normal 6inch bookshelf speaker for comparison,

they also don't go down to 20 hz, you'd need a subwoofer with atleast 10" inches for that

+ that's why you have a decent pair of headphones. they kill physical limitations which are caused by obstacles surrounding you and give you a clean representation

Got the bigger version of this, works pretty well and it has NFC which can be handy

plus the aesthetic is top tier

Why are your things sitting in straight defined lines.

Was thinking of getting this since it came is for $24 at local Walmart.

walmart.com/ip/HMDX-HX-P540RD-Jam-Rewind-Bluetooth-Speaker-Red/36441676

I already own two small Bluetooth speakers. One Chinese one and one by monster. I really don't think I necessarily need one since I have three powerful soundsystems and a HD radio.

>millenials
This word gets old. It means nothing but a generalization. I know the other generations defining themselves with generation labels need to find a scapegoat but don't let their insults create trepidation in you, sorry piece of predictable shit.

ew... looks pretty cheap.

i'd look out for a xiaomi bluetooth speaker if i were on a budget

Bought a UE Roll for music. It's ok.

Are you implying that bikes rides are a good environment to assess sound quality?

Also you are a nigger for using speakers outdoor

Are these any good? Bose SoundLink Color

Heard it in person. Gets loud enough and has a nice full sound. No high treble tho. If you like the form factor it's not a bad speaker, but i'd still go with a jbl charge 3.

I own a jbl charge 2. That thing is GOAT. You put it in the corner of the room and it fills it with bass and clear music.
I still didn't hear it, but every speaker reviewer i have seen says the charge 3 improves every aspect of the previous one. Gon be gud man.

"clavinetjunkie" on youtube for more insight.

bought a flip for music while smoking weed, works great for showers and LSD trips as well

ue boom 2, got a pair of them because waterproof and sound ok

useful as fuck for normie shit like going outside and they didn't cost me any real money since i had a bunch of gift cards laying around that i needed to use

Looks promising. Thanks

haha, clavinetjunkie is literally the terry of portablespeakers. have you seen his comments about some jerks and kids which simply spout silly comments to protect their weaker purchase?

>it did cost my granddads money so i didn't pay for it

user you do know that those people caring for you and giving you money, want you to have your life becoming successfull right?

op here

so i had some speakers in the past, an arctic s113bt, a jbl charge 2, a denon envaya, and now a jbl xtreme.

i now ordered a canton music box s which is fairly new on the market and probably will strive for more details on the go.

hopefully it plays just well with some neophyte

I went the /csg/ route and got a Xiaomi Bluetooth speaker. It's alright for $15

Sound quality isn't the best but it's far better and louder than a phone speaker.

Also on full volume the bass makes it vibrate everywhere and fall over.

haha that's what happens with all speakers which don't have rubberfeet.

but for 15-20 dollarinos it's really acceptable. the only price mark you'd actually hear improvement would probably around 70$

gotta make some ramen senpai

The next logical step is of course an aiwa.

probably carbattery powered

maybe this is why hornloaded isn't around anymore, he stopped basement dwelling and went mobile with portable speakers

Got a Flip 2 for free with my new bank account in the Netherlands.

Great quality and decent battery size, the design feels solid: it can survive a few drops

Unless you want to party with more than 20 people this kind of speaker are more than enough!

my sister has one of these in her kitchen. i really enjoy the rich sound they produce for their tiny size, especially with jazz music

It's a 19V laptop battery iirc.
I built my own of a similar spec, since it's impossible to find in Europe for the moment. No pics because I'm at work.
Spec:
>TDA7498E 160Wx2 @ 4Ohm Amplifier ~25eur
>22.2V 4Ah Li-ion 18650 battery ~30eur
>Twin 6.5" Bass face (UK brand) coaxial speakers. (150W RMS per driver, composite cone, silk tweeter, 95db@1W) ~40eur
>2" port down the width of the enclosure.
Because the amp is rated at 32V it's only putting out about ~75W per channel. I could use a boost converter but then I'd have to deal with heat dissapation and coil whine.
Besides, it's more than loud enough and I don't think the drivers could handle much more power below 40hz, they already distort slightly on low frequencies at max volume.
Still, not bad for ~100eur, I can fit it in my sports bag too.

that would be an 11.1V battery on the aiwa, not 19, my mistake.

Anyone looking to build a portable speaker themselves I suggest checking out YouTube user modiane1, he's got some good stuff.

>portable speakers

i really wonder how compact it is.

i'd really love to do a diy if i would just have the right electrician friend..

youtube.com/watch?v=VGKbqWGnmTI

thanks, i appreciate it

My enclosure is about 360x180x100 (mm), which isn't as big as you'd think, much smaller than the exos 9 for sure.
As for complexity? Piss easy.
>Battery I got from aliexpress has integrated switch and DC jack for charging
>Connect battery to amp, drill hole for DC jack, stick it in hole. Make sure battery switch is beside enclosure wall, drill hole for it.
>My amp had a 3 pin connector, just get some copper wire and solder it to a female TRS jack, stick it to the enclosure side too.
>Connect speakers, attach to front panel, seal enclosure
>Cut reflex port, stick it in.
That's it, the only I/O on the enclosure is a switch, a 3.5mm jack, and a DC jack for charging (it does need a 24V charger (10eur))
You could increase the enclosure volume for better bass response if you don't mind it bigger. Also a good reflex port is a must, I took an educated guess, mine isn't bad but if you get it wrong you're pretty screwed.
ayy lmao

i wonder if i get tracked down when i order this from germany

any personal recommendation for the enclosure? i believe there are many people which use beer cabinets for projects like these but you could probably come up with something better, sound fidelity wise

u wot? The battery? The battery did take much longer to arrive for me than everything else, I assume due to cutsoms fuckey with li-ion batteries but I didn't have to pay anything extra for it in the end.
I recommend MDF. It's pretty much the standard for subwoofer enclosures, dense, strong, and light. It's density is what makes it the best for sound reproduction. Thickness depends on the amount of power you want, more power = thicker.
You can easily pick up a large board of it for a tenner or less.

yeah i guess this takes proper planning first. the cut out can be easily done in a local workshop i guess.

i'll look into it at a later date when my demands increase in bigger sound.

i rather wanna stay compact as of now and the jbl xtreme is perfect in this regard, unless you can show me something exceptional in this size category

>user you do know that those people caring for you and giving you money, want you to have your life becoming successfull right?
silly user, gift cards were a reward for having spent a small fortune on my credit card over the last couple years.

my grandparents, back when they were alive, only ever gave cash gifts.

Where to buy an 80s boombox for cheap? Or are their new day replicas with aux support?

Eh, as long as you know the dimensions of the shit you're ordering you can literally just stick a bunch of blocks into google sketchup or something to see if it all fits. I spent about 30 minutes planning it desu lel.

the Extreme is great for its size and features. For the price I wanted the most power I could get, so I wanted the exos9, but they don't sell to Europoors so I built an analogue myself.

ITT: samefagging

No one likes portable speakers. they're redundant considering phones have a similar quality build in speaker. This whole thread is just1 guy samefagging

I use one of these. Would highly recommend.
It's pricey but damn the sound profile is impressive.

you must be new here

they're fucking mint for such a small device

The majority of people I know who got portable speakers got jbl
I've heard just about all of them (mini, flip, charge, pulse, xtreme) and they all get loud enough to perfectly fulfill their size related needs

The xtreme is an absolute beast though. You can feel the bass just like you would with a cheaper 2.1 computer system.

Quality speakers, but I feel like they run out of battery very quickly

I bought a a $23 dollar Mpow armor from ching Chong express. It's waterproofloud loud and has good battery life

I second this, 100%.

I have a mini jambox that I got as a freebee while doing some contract work at jawbone. I use it when I'm travelling for work and want better than laptop speakers watching movies at the hotel.

Sound is not terrible but not great either. If I didn't get it for free I wouldn't have bought it

Create your own one. Sounds better and can have better batteries and waterproofness.

I even ironically created a portable open soundwall some years ago. Looked like some small canvas.

Shit was cash back then.

>search high and low for SBX speakers
>wanted it because it has a proprietary voice changing software
>finally found a refrub unit
>pay a ton to get it
>doesn't even touch the voice changer software after 3 days

So I have the SBX 10, the volume never goes more than 10 because it would be too loud and might disturb my roommates. I needed one because for some reason the mobo I bought had no speaker on it.

Do we have a fookin problem, m8?

i've got the jbl extreme in red, i work on windturbines and this thing blasts your head apart if you play it inside of a windturbine tower, its basically a steeltube and we make raves with this thing in it.

That's why you use the "Millenials to Snake people"-extension.

Found the hipster cuck

tfw you got one of these for free as an incentive for working at bose over christmas and meeting their targets.
shit company to work for, but i'm glad i have one of these, feels to expensive to take anywhere though.

Bose Soundlink Mini II
Comfy and great sound

My brother has one and it is spankin'!

UE roll, it fills it purpose but I got nothing to compare it to. Didn't do any research just wanted something better and louder than z3c's speaker but didn't want anything bulky.