I want a generator to keep the essentials running when the power goes out. What do I buy??

I want a generator to keep the essentials running when the power goes out. What do I buy??

Other urls found in this thread:

northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200500581_200500581?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Generators > Portable Generators&utm_campaign=Generac&utm_content=25619&gclid=CPu_l5Lt3cwCFUVhfgod-WAK4A
yamahamotorsports.com/generator/models/ef2000isv2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A generator

you want steam or coal power, i build my own generators personally

>not having your own nuclear power plant

pleb

Brands, wattage output, fuel type, how loud will it be??

I need to know user

Get a UPC if it's just for your computer. Gasoline powered generators are loud as fuck and are only supposed to be used outdoors. You want a standby generator. The use clean burning and efficient propane.

Yamaha generator that burns Gasoline or Kerosene, the power to size ratio is awesome. Got one at home, the size of a 21inch crt T.V.

Can power 4 ceiling fans or one gaming PC rig. 1litre of petrol gives me an 1hours battery backup!

I have a gas Generac with a bit more power than the one in OP's pic. And I end up having to run it for house electricity about once every other year, due to living in a remote area and electricity sometimes taking days-weeks to come back up after a storm

Its ok I guess. maybe more cost and hassle than its worth. I have to run it a few minutes every month as reg. maintnance. It also has a trickle charger that stays plugged in all the time for electronic start.

At least with my setup, its only going to keep my essentials running if I get my ass out of the house and wheel it around to my power hookup, switch my breakers over to genny power, and turn it on and keep it fueled. If power went out while I was away it wouldn't do anything at all.

If it weren't for having two fridges and two freezers full of perishable food, I wouldn't bother at all with it. First time we lost power for a week and it all went bad, lost more $ in food than it cost to have the generator

It is loud but not so loud that my neighbors complain, especially since everybody loses power at the same time. Its like leaving a lawnmower running.

How much gas does it go through? Where do you store all the gas for it?

In the neighborhood of 5-10 gallons a day, hard to say really, a lot of variables. also I cant remember the specs on my genny, but it looks like the modern GP6500
northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200500581_200500581?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Generators > Portable Generators&utm_campaign=Generac&utm_content=25619&gclid=CPu_l5Lt3cwCFUVhfgod-WAK4A

I keep the gas in a red plastic gas can usually right next to the gen. I've also siphoned gas out of vehicles for genny power.

I'll say that my yard is fairly secure, and my neighboors are top tier so I'm not worried about leaving a $1000 generator unattended all day or days on end even.

I also run an electric shallow water pump that pulls irrigation out of a lake for my gardens drip system and sprinklers. Its pretty important in the summer to be able to run that pump every day. power usually doesn't fail in the summer but the gen is a very important backup system for that.

If lessons from Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy are anything to go by, you get the quietest one you can so that you don't suddenly see guys loading your generator, still running, into the back of their pickup, and turning it off/disconnecting it only when they're about to hit the gas to leave, so that you don't have time to respond.

Life gets quiet when the power goes out, your generator will seem even louder than normal and be audible from farther away.

Not always the case, but normally friendly neighbors can get nasty if you have power and they don't.

Gas only lasts like 6 months with preservatives in it, don't forget, and you need to run the genny on occasion both so you remember how to operate it and so that it stays in good shape.

A blackout because somebody hit a power pole doesn't cause the same chaos a hurricane does.

What are your essentials OP? Listing these and knowing how much power they are drawing is a major first step.

Often people find that the appliance they want to power (the fridge, usually) is a huge power hog, and it's worse when you factor in how it loses all the cold air every time you open the door, unlike a chest freezer where the cold air mostly stays inside when the door is opened. Switching to a more efficient fridge or a chest freezer/fridge is often a way you can get away with a much smaller/cheaper generator.

Also, if you know the power is going to go out, freeze a bunch of water in bottles/jugs and keep it in your freezer/fridge so that even if the generator isn't working or you want to only run it for a bit at a time, your food will stay fresher longer.

Almost every other essential isn't actually essential. Or could be handled with a hand crank/solar charger/bicycle generator.

This is true. A blackout because someone hit a power pole almost never will need a generator to keep the essentials running unless you are running in-home medical equipment--it's not going to last that long in a first world country.

6 hours without power is more than enough to warrant a generator

Yeah usually in my neighborhood its a tree taking down lines, and power doesn't go back up until the tree guys get around to removing the tree, then utility guys can fix the poles and wires. Its an all day event at best, a 8-10 day excursion at worst.

trees usually fall during ice storms so its always dozens of outages at once and the same tree and power crews to service all of it.
I've never heard of anybody looting during these events they'd probably get attacked by dogs honestly.

Shit, where do you live? It's under an hour in my city even outside normal work hours.

My dad has one of those big ones that use gas, but how good are the portable ones?

I wanted to buy this one for fishing expeditions:

yamahamotorsports.com/generator/models/ef2000isv2

Wisconsin, power outages normally happen in the middle of the night so I'd imagine that's why it takes longer. Add an hour or two in winter because snow and shit

Not fucking that. That's for providing power to electric tools when there aren't any outlets around. Get a home generator that kicks in when the power goes out. It should power up basic things like your fridge, internet, and a few lights.

>a wisconsin bro

Christ almighty my folks home lost power a good 1 or 2 times a year. The single power line that serviced the neighborhood was conveniently placed in a woods where downed branches always clipped the line and shut down the power grid. They invested in a home generator so they didn't have to deal with nonsense like that.

One that's at least regulated with an AVR if you're planning to power sensitive electronics. Gonna cost you though.

Essentials:
TV
PC
Xbox One
Fridge
Freezer
Air conditioner (summer)
Heater (winter)

>Xbox One

calm down there hank hill

Holy shit kek. I don't know if you're trolling or just ignorant.

Good fucking luck trying to find a generator that will keep all or even most of that powered at once without blowing a shitload of cash on it and the gas needed to run it.

You need to take a hard look at the shit you actually require when the power's out.

>power goes out
>read a book, knock on neighbors door and play soccer/baseball/hockey/football/whatever, go for a walk or run or cycle the local footpaths
>stuff fridge shit in the freezer to make it last a few more days, plan to use the grill to grill a fuckload of meat so it doesn't go bad

But this nigger

>gotta be able to play xbox while my computer runs in the background, and my AC doesn't go out. I can;t live without vidya or AC. Or hot pockets for that matter
>needs heat in the winter
Nigga

What the fuck is wrong with Xbox One?

>Good fucking luck trying to find a generator that will keep all or even most of that powered at once without blowing a shitload of cash on it and the gas needed to run it.

It's not even that much stuff. My power bill is like $100 a month and that includes other stuff I wouldn't be running like lights, the stove, my stereo, and the plumbing. I'm pretty sure a generator could power the stuff I listed without much trouble. I'm not trying to run a data center or something.

It's not even the best 8th gen console let alone the best way to play games.

No games

The tl;dr version is: you're wrong. You can trust me, because I've done research about generators. Or, you can go read the power consumption of all those devices and tally it up, then compare it to common budget generators, and find out that I'm right.

My own take after long research into them as a survivalist, for folks other than you who might be considering one, is that generators are not worth the hassle and expense (much less the noise when things are a more serious natural/manmade disaster) when the only thing that you actually need to keep running is your fridge/freezer, where you can do what suggests. Heat? Get a propane heater. Cooling? Paper fans and a few dabs of water work great, as does filling up the bathtub and taking an occasional soak. All that other electrical junk? You don't need it barring a phone and/or a battery charger, and most of it isn't as helpful as you think--and if you aren't running big-ticket electricity hogs, you can get by with other forms of electrical power generation that are cheaper, quieter, and much less hassle.

yeah dude there is far to many things on your list, you'd have to pay a shitload for a gen. and gas for all that

The only essential things I see on your list are fridge/freezer and emergency heat for the winter. possibly fans for the summer, but there is nowhere on earth that would warrant running both a heater in the winter and an ac in the summer on generator power.

Electric heat uses a shitload of power. I have a pretty high output generator and If I intend to use the oven or clothes dryer, I have to turn everything else off. I could probably run two maybe three small modern space heaters