Ok smart guys, I got a question for you. I saw pic related today and it just doesn't seem right to me. And here is why:

Ok smart guys, I got a question for you. I saw pic related today and it just doesn't seem right to me. And here is why:

Obviously, the ship will "press away" (sorry for bad english, don't now the term) an amount of water that is equal to its own mass. I have looked at the picture and wikipedia has the numbers. It's 66 meters high but it's maximum "below water height" (term?) is 9 meters. in pic related it will obviously not reach the maximum on 9m as it's unloaded right now and therefor less heavy.

So, how can it be that this huge part of that ship that is above the water, plus the heavy hull that is below the water, weight less than the little bit of water it replaces? Is there some "trick" I don't know about? It just doesn't seem right!

My father is one of those people on the deck.

I barely understand your question and I might be making an ass of myself now but I think you're taking 'mass' and 'weight' for being the same thing.

I understand that weight and mass are not the same. But still, why is that ship so much less heavy than the water? shouldn't it sink in way deeper? it sits upon the water like it weights nothing!

>how can it be that this huge part of that ship that is above the water
The ship is not solid.

A ship is mostly air

density

The Archimedes' principle: “Any object, wholly or partially immersed in a fluid, is buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.” That means that when an object displaces one liter of water, the object gets pushed up with the buoyancy force equal to the weight of one liter of water. The more water that is displaced, the stronger the buoyancy force is which pushes the object up.

The ship, as you may have noticed, is very tall, but it's also very long and wide - which means its hull displaces a lot of water under it, which causes a strong buoyancy force to push it upwards.

>54575463
you are not the boss of me now,
CAN YOU REPEAT THAT QUESTION...L-Life is u-unfair?

Here comes the paint skills!

How heavy is the water that the ship sits on top of it like that? What did they use to build the walls and the structure and the engine and all? foam and dreams?

:.(

A bunch of inner tubes.

American high-school education everyone

First of all, it's not shaped like that, the top is angled inwards (it should be a triangle sitting on top of another triangle).

Secondly, all the heavy stuff (like engines, fuel tanks and balast) is at the bottom, the upper decks all just contain cabins which is mostly air.

Ok, but who cares where the weight is? it should still pull it down. The position of the weight is only important for stability.

Look at the rear part of the boat

Answer is here....

I still think it's an amazing piece of engineering!

Looks like it really shouldn't work that way.

first of all, it's not that the water is 'heavy'. That has little to do with it.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that water is incompressible. It's, to put it plainly, a big mess of molecules in a large heap, with no structure to them at all (if there was a structure, it would be a solid, hmm?). As such, there's a tremendous force that stops the boat from sinking.

Look at this picture of the ship in question. Only the FRONT of it is as thin as you made it out to be. The rest is actually very thick.

>it should still pull it down.
That's exactly what it does, but as said a ship is still mostly air.

But this: >The ship, as you may have noticed, is very tall, but it's also very long and wide - which means its hull displaces a lot of water under it, which causes a strong buoyancy force to push it upwards.

Thanks for today's topic of learnings good sir user.

I agree with you that big ships always look like they should tip over or sink, but it's just physics as everyone else has said. It's not always intuitive.