Reminder:

Reminder:

>Only 32 kilobytes of RAM in the Apollo capsules' computers was enough to put men on the moon and safely get them back to Earth. The Voyager deep space probes that sent us a wealth of images and scientific data from the outer reaches of the solar system (and still continue to do so from interstellar space) have on-board computers based on a 4-bit CPU. An 80C85 CPU with 176 kilobytes of ROM and 576 kilobytes of RAM was all that controlled the Sojourner robot that drove across the surface of Mars and delivered geological data data and high-resolution images in full-color stereo.

Planned hardware obsolescence and bloatware are the only reasons you need 4GHz quad-core CPUs and 8GB of RAM just to run smoothly these days.

Other urls found in this thread:

yournewswire.com/stanley-kubrick-confesses-to-faking-the-moon-landings/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Consumerism is the only reason why you need computers and the Internet these days. Why can't everyone just be satisfied with telephones for communication and microform for researching information?

But do they run gentoo?

A CPU preforming relatively simple tasks like telling a thruster to fire or RCS jets is completely different from running modern games and programs. Rendering hundreds of thousands of calculations a second to create a realistic environment in which a player a interact is much harder to do than that what the Apollo missions were doing.

Fucking autist.

No, but they run NetBSD.

I can tell you came from reddut. Stealing comments made a few days ago and reposting them as your own. Maybe you should go back there where that behavior is tolerated.

As always, it's capitalism's fault. Why am I not surprised?

Do you even have the slightest idea of the kind of math that goes into "telling thrusters to fire"?

Ok, go design a fully functioning and usable OS that runs on something similar

I'll even say you couldn't get a decent system running today on a 286 with ~640kb of ram let alone something even simpler like a 80C85

this

This.
Also, those aren't the same chips you would have on a regular phone, those are special chips hardenned further to survive cosmic rays and work at extreme temperatures.
Not that user, but all of the calculations needed are done on earth and you just sent the signal to "fire thruster for x milliseconds" user.

Bernout detected

Not a fucking clue user, but all of the needed calculations are done on earth before the launch, because they aren't doing realtime calculations on the fly I can tell you that. All the chips had to do was a certain preprogrammed sequence as soon as the pilot or mission control tells it too.

C'mon user its not rocket science :^)

>8GB of RAM
pleb, I have 32GB

>running modern games

>using the smiley with a carat nose

He did say a 4ghz CPU, so I'm assuming he is talking about games because that's one of the only things that benefit from such a thing

>not using the smiley face with carrot nose :^)

This is so far from the truth

Programmers used to be forced into efficiency. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Someone who cant identify sarcasm detected.

What program benefits more from something being clocked at 4ghz rather from having more cores?

I'm fairly certain we lost contact with both voyager 1 and 2 awhile back, they are too far out now.

Not him, but define fully functioning. I can get a lot of shit done on my old Pentium running NetBSD and twm.

Even Doom has higher code complexity and more intensive math than the Apollo computer.

The point is, you don't really need computers for space travel.

Are you slightly rused by le Sup Forums smiley face? B^)

>high-resolution images in full-color stereo.

You two are extremely wrong. Those crafts definitely NEED to do calculations on the fly. The Voyager I is now 3/4 of a light day distant from us. That's how long our signal telling it to swerve to avoid collision would take to arrive, do you really think we can afford that? Geez, read a book once in your lives!

Are you slightly faced by le Sup Forums smiley ruse? (^:

>using the backward smiley with a carat nose

Are you actually autistic.

>not wanting your smiley with carat nose to render in as little time as possible
Fucking casuals.

no, optimisation is the reason. If they optimised out software it would be a lot better, but its made to run on heaps of difference computers so thats why

Are you slightly rused by le Sup Forums smiley face? รท^]

>using the smiley with division eyes and a carat nose

I honestly believe there are at most 5 people doing this game everytime someone posts a >smiley with carat nose, all of them on Sup Forums

Are you intensely rused by le metaphysical sheekyforums amused face? ^^^

because people need to fucking stop posting it

>Apollo
The what? Oh, the bullshit show for goys to make them believe man has been in the moon. Fuck off, Moshe.

>using the smiley with multiple carat noses with no eyes and mouth

Top tier memeing tbqh

Would it be more feasible to send raw data back to Earth and do calculations on earth and then beaming them back up since the only thing you need to consider is the speed of light and solar radiation

>computar is for gaymur
fuck off

Are you slightly rused by the minimalistic 4john smiling face? ^

>we

Did you even read what I said.

>using the smiley with a carat nose with no eyes and mouth

>half this thread is filtered
wow, I can see this is gonna be some quality shit

FUCKING RAMLET, I FUCKING HATE YOU, I HATE YOU, FUCKING RAMLET,

I HAVE 64GB RAM YOU COWARD

Are you slightly rused by le Sup Forums smiley face? );^

>What program benefits more from something being clocked at 4ghz rather from having more cores?
Ruby. It's fucking terrible. It's entirely single threaded. I laughed at the last customer that was all about efficiency and running his ruby on a bare metal OS that had midrange, multicore CPUs. I called him a dumbass to his face, which was unprofessional and out of character but he'd been trying to rice his servers out with newegg the entire project and this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Compression

>using the smiley with a carat nose and no mouth

Which makes it all the more embarrassing that Android runs like shit on an 8 core CPU and application developers need insane amounts of power for a basic smartphone game.

My worj uses Autodesk Inventor, a $7,500 programme, - which does structural, gas flow, thermal simulations and animations is mostly single threaded- only the rendering uses more cores, so a high CPU clock speed is a benefit.

>using ruby ever

>not using a multi threaded compression program.

Point taken.

>gaming laptop

no need to lie on the internet

My computer runs smoothly on 4GB of ram and a 2GHz processor. I don't play games though, and I'm on Linux. I could get by with much less, but modern web browsers eat up resources like crazy.

The reason that space ship computer worked with such low specs if because it was specifically programmed for that purpose. The entire OS, every single program running on it, was all specifically written for the purpose of space travel.
The computers we use privately are general purpose machines, they offer a lot of functionality that you need, and no it's not all bloatware. For example, Your computer probably has a fancy GUI or desktop manager (whatever you want to call it). Some autists will say they just need a terminal, but 99% of people want something to look at. You don't need that for the spaceship computer though.

>Do you even have the slightest idea of the kind of math that goes into "telling thrusters to fire"?
Yes. That's just a sensor-controller-actuator loop, the sensor detects the difference compared to a desired value (rotation/velocity vector/etc.) and fires thrusters accordingly. This might be a simple PID controller or a more complex "strange hybrid" one. Every single thing needing control from planes/helicopters to quad-copters to automated washing machines uses the same approach.
How to calculate the desired condition (desired velocity vector for exmp.) is a different issue.
You should do most of that on earth and sync with your spacecraft. For example by having very reliable clock inside your spacecraft accompanied with an initial state of the solar system you can have it spend a 1-2 hours calculating the it's state required for your next step 3 hours before firing your thrusters. Then by having good timing you fire your thrusters and you can be withing your error margin. This is an engineering "trick" which comes to my mind and could work within a given error.
I would recommend reading a book on actual spacecraft controls, because that probably has a lot of mind blowing solutions. It's only rocket science to people who don't even have a basic understanding of engineering control.
There is for example a simulator called Orbiter (freely available) which accurately models our solar system and it has a 3rd party module quite accurately modeling Apollo missions going as far as to modell the actual Apollo computer. It might worth checking out. Regarding comparison to video games, a general engine needs to calculate lot of different stuff from various parts of graphics to various general newtonian physics stuff and AI. What really needs performance is that it needs to do all of this in real-time usually with 30-60 FPS, same calculations all over the place. Well specified and constrained embedded systems are easier to optimize too than games.

because all my friends i actually talk to besides like 1 person live in far away countries on other ends of the planet and a telephone call to their place would cost a fortune so we use mumble.

>thinking this shitposting only originated on leddit and only yesterday
are you 12 and did you just find out how to access the internet?
fucking newfag.

are you implying i am lying

you motherfuckker

you fucking mother fucker

HOLY SHIT I NEED THAT NOW!

>Planned hardware obsolescence and bloatware are the only reasons you need 4GHz quad-core CPUs and 8GB of RAM just to run smoothly these days.
Says you

8GB and a 4ghz quad core bottlenecks the shit out of day to day task even having a bunch of tabs in your browsers of choice can eat up alot of ram very easily

Want to play 2-4k videos? Even more ram and cpu power

God forbid if your one of the enlightened few and want to play games on your PC

Newer cheaper and more accessible hardware is always just around the corner.

>Not getting AMD Zen
>Not ditching Intel and nvidia

Fuck man do you know what embedded processor is?

They all have different function. Your toaster doesn't need Octa-core chip running at 3.8GHz and 32GiB ram, when its job is just to roast yo bread

>blurry shit
>backpedaling

The main advantage of increasing computing power and memory size is that software companies can use worse and worse coders (aka pajeets) to get the same performance or functionality. Why waste time and money optimizing the code when you can just throw more CPU cycles at it? They are not even your CPU cycles but the end user's.

After all, we ARE talking about obsolete technology.

No wonder everything has been getting more and more broken

Welp

i cant code for shit but i appreciate art.

>what is preprogrammed calculations

Those computers are told how to fire, and when to fire thanks too pretty programmed info done by scientists on the ground

WHAT BITCH

WHAT

*tips*

>A computer chip from the 1970's is doing real-time physics modeling in outer space as we speak
I'm pretty sure you added that last sentence as a
>lol jk
safety valve in case someone handed your ass to you.

I'm not the one you replied to, but cool your jets kid, cuz you mad.

wouldn't you, too, be mad if someone accused you of being a RAMLET?

Java. Why Google decided to go with Java for their smartphone OS beats me, everybody knows it's the slowest language in existence.

I would indeed. That's a fair point.

Nah.

>4GB stick
pleb

Hahahahahah ddr3, not having atleast 128GB of the latest tech: DDR4. Ddr3 is almost 10 years old you pleb. And 4gb sticks aren't the largest you can get for this ancient tech. 8gb ddr3 sticks are readily available. Being poor must suck.

Even if we have more advanced hardware than what's going into spacecraft, it doesn't mean that we necessarily want to use it, the extremes of space put a huge strain on electronics and it has to be extremely tolerant of errors, which means using more primitive scaled-back technology. This is why even "modern" spacecraft utilize electronics that could be considered ancient by earthly standards; your average PC hardware would devolve into a mess of errors and corrupt RAM as soon as it left the atmosphere and got hit by radiation, rendering it more useless than having gone with the safe approach.

>fake screenshot
m8, you're trying too hard

>slowest language
>most common language in HFT software
Pick one, scrub.

>BSD
>obsolete

Someone here has never taken even a single class on operating systems.

SAYS THE RAMLET

i have fucking SIXTEEN 4gb sticks, in 8, COUNT THEM 8, ram channels, and my GT/S is more than ALL YOUR COMPUTERS COMBINED.

>America went to the moon
What is this meme? Kubrick disproved this bullshit by admitting he was the film director for the "moon landings"

No he didn't.

yournewswire.com/stanley-kubrick-confesses-to-faking-the-moon-landings/

>your news wire
seems legit

>4gb sticks
TOP FUCKING KEKEROONIES!

Watch the Youtube video in the link
He admits he faked the moon landings
He rused the entire America-loving world

it says on the same page that it's probably a hoax.
I'd be interested to know how kubrick faked the radio signals and the laser reflectors that are still where the astronauts left them.

They sent cheaper and less complex unmanned missions to the moon at a later date to cover up their ends. Why are you so retarded. Oh wait-
>American
That explains it. You fell for the moon landings and the Iraq War. And now you're about to fall for a literal Hitler.

16 of them. 8 memory channels. what the fuck you got faggot? its better to have more sticks.

yeah, we just built a system capable of going to the moon and didn't use it. sounds legit.

actually, we DID go to the moon, but, the videos are faked.

>actually, we DID go to the moon, but, the videos are faked.
Or you didn't go to the moon because you didn't have a system capable of taking living people there. Fucking stupid Americunts.

Here is your (you) :^)

Also - it doesn't matter if calculations need to be done on earth or on probe - those don't need to be done lightning fast. If that shit can do it in 24h and just save the result and 'fire thrusters for x milliseconds' it should be fine.

I'm not american.

I'd be interested to know how kubrick faked the effects of the moon's gravity in a complete vacuum, also with only one light source at the exact same intensity and brightness of the sun

>faked the effects of the moon's gravity in a complete vacuum
There is no wind in a vacuum, and yet the flag planted on the moon flutters when one of the actors walks past it. "Vacuum" you say?
>also with only one light source at the exact same intensity and brightness of the sun
It's called a flood light. It's 20's technology.