Sup Forums says anime isn't technology

>Sup Forums says anime isn't technology
>Their idol has watched anime
>Now knows of Maki's existence

Other urls found in this thread:

myplan.com/majors/acupuncture/description-51.3301.html?sid=b855c28d47b90167c37b01de91aafd77
mobile.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2000012700305NWCY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

GNU/Anime

hacker alert

dude u hackd the codes!!!!!!!

>Utena
Great taste

dumbshit makiposter

FOSS anime when?

Rude

Honestly dick seems like a pretty cool guy.

He watches anime, so what?
He also condones bestiality

bump

the thought of stallman-sama watching love live makes me happy

which girl do you think he would like the most?

Is there someone running FOSS software in that Anime?

And paedophilia

Literally nothing wrong with female human on male animal, nor incest though

I wonder if he gets tired of Sup Forumsentoomen emailing him inane questions

He never responded to my question about making his DNA sequence free to be modified and redistributed

>Maki

Maki is cute

Refute it

>gfs are technology
>Sup Forums doesn't even have a gf
What gives?

Sup Forums is not a person

Nico because she's poor.

>5 facts
>only 4
>one of them isnt right
>one of them is a fact about the poster
>one of them is just her name

Literally Stallman's only claim to fame is being one of the guys who helped Linus first make Linux.

I have no idea why you faggots worship him.

There's a little something called the GPL.

I thought Sup Forums hated Linus.

Which, what, 12 people in the whole world care about? Stallman being two of them.

Face it. He's a try-hard. He even calls himself Dr. Stallman despite only having honorary degrees. That would be like Kanye West calling himself Dr Kanye West. But he doesn't because even he knows that's pretentious.

If Kanye West is less pretentious than you, you're doing something wrong.

GPL is a legal framework, not a technical one, so lots of people on Sup Forums don't respect it as such (although I agree that non-technical contributions are valuable as well).

That being said, it's generally agreed that v3 made GPL a bit of a poison pill. Anyone that wants to make open source code but still be permissive about its use uses the MIT license and generally not GPLv2. You only hear about GPLv3, which even at MSR (a pretty academic-leaning industry organization), I heard people refer to as "viral" licensing to evoke how it contaminates projects by legally obligating the rest of code to be made open source.

GPL should have won over the hearts and minds of developers. By presenting this ultimatum, they alienated a huge community of industry developers who might otherwise have been sympathetic enough to familiarize themselves with OSS and ultimately agree with it.

Holy shit he does have an honorary degree.
What a disappointment.

You didn't know this?

Universities practically hand out honorary degrees to anyone that gives commencement speeches and stuff. It might even be payment, although I'm sure there's an actual monetary payment as well (I would just never give a commencement speech after giving one at an ivy league if my only payment was to be a degree)

Pretentious try-hard.

Surprisingly he never referred to anyone else with an honorary degree as Doctor. I'd love to see him say Doctor Steve Jobs.

And communism

I see the anti-stallman is out in full force right now.

Sure, let's ignore his undergrad physics degree from MIT, that he'd almost obtained his master's when he left to start GNU.

Yeah, what has he ever done? (as you run code that was written with an editor he authored, compiled by a compiler he wrote, licensed to you under the terms of a license he created).

>>>/reddit/

didn't know he wrote vim, clang, and bsd :^)

>he'd almost obtained his master's when he left to start GNU.
in the phd student community people are known for "mastering out" because they got their masters and left the program, usually because going deep on a subject with a dissertation was too hard for them.

RMS didn't even master out. was he even a phd student? did anyone bet on him being able to contribute significantly to the academic community? I'm seriously asking here; i thought i read he had been a phd student at one point, but if he was a masters student then that's even sadder.

if he had stayed in academia and written papers about the need for open source and whatnot, at least then his advocacy would be cited more often, get into the academic discourse in a more rigorous fashion, and earn him more credibility in that dimension.

the culture in academic work is admittedly to do stuff open source and public, but nobody acknowledges the advocacy that RMS did because he neither situated it in literature (there's a lot of potential; he wasn't such a novel snowflake that the notion of intellectual property was unheard of and therefore unprecedented) nor put it through peer review or into scholarship (which would have given people reason to grapple with it).

Keep an eye open over the next few months

>using the smiley with a carat nose

>Anonymous 7 hours ago
Fucking hotpockets

And nasal sex with dead plants

has anyone ever emailed to ask him why he acts in such an odd way?

i mean we all assume he's autistic or aspie as fuck or whatever, but has he said as much? someone must have diagnosed him at some point if he actually was.

if he's not, then i'd really like to hear how he justifies being a symbolic figure in the community while also being this awkward, alienating person who has these outbursts and stuff. if his role is largely some sort of PR/figurehead role, then does he not appreciate that he should keep his cool, not eat fingernails, not talk about shit like smelling flowers using words like "nasal sex with dead plants", etc...?

i ask because i like FSF and stuff, but he seems to actively detract from the movement. when the topic of free software comes up among tech savvy people and they mention RMS with the now characteristic eye-roll, i have to frame my response with "yeah he's definitely weird, but..."

that's an unbelievably weak position to start from. look at jimmy wales as an example of a public figure who doesn't embarrass himself and his project. emulate that if you're neither going to contribute to the code nor do anything else especially useful.

oh whoops i mis-remembered; he doesn't eat fingernails, he just eats the shit in toenails.

What a fraud.

>not talk about shit like smelling flowers using words like "nasal sex with dead plants", etc...?
Are you familiar with the term "joke"?

He's 63 years old.

So you wanted him to conform, get in line and do completely meaningless work so that his ideas might stroke academics the right way.

So instead of doing useless crap to appease people like you, he actually made his vision real. He made the number one free software organization. Without it linux might never have become great or free software.

It's much more important to have proof that FOSS can work and be really good, and acctually start competing with proprietary, than him being cited more in academic circles, especially when
>the culture in academic work is admittedly to do stuff open source and public

are you capable of differentiating a good joke from one that makes people uncomfortable?

being an old man who makes people feel uncomfortable with weird jokes doesn't help the FSF or GPL's mission. is this entire endeavor just an elaborate form of hospice care for a senile old man?

Are you familiar with the term "humor"?
Jokes are supposed to have it.

>Revolutionary Girl Utena
I always knew based RMS was a patrician

Stallman's only achievement is contributing to Linus making Linux. Terry Davis is a good example, made amazing shit but it will never go anywhere.

Linus was Stallmans lucky break and he should thank Marx or whoever pinkos worship every day of his life that he was lucky enough to contribute to Linus's work.

>So you wanted him to conform, get in line and do completely meaningless work so that his ideas might stroke academics the right way.
i would've liked to see him formalize his ideas and make them useful for people who engage with the theory of intellectual property and whatnot. you make it sound like i'm demanding to handcuff him. all he would have to do to contribute to the academic community is cite some past literature and submit a paper for peer review without the benefit of his name at the top. the first requires rigor, and the second requires that your work have merit on its own. for all the shortcomings and flaws in peer review in general, there is arguably no more effective way to advance a theoretical argument.

>instead of doing useless crap ... he actually made his vision real
these are not mutually exclusive. lots of researchers instantiate what they talk about. you sound like a lazy or incompetent academic. or maybe you were just trained by them.

>being an old man who makes people feel uncomfortable with weird jokes doesn't help the FSF or GPL's mission.
Who gives a shit?

if you need a nice frontman with elvis presley voice to appreciate the concepts FSF and GPL want to spread you obviously don't understand them.

Stallman is a successful person who started a whole movement and is a millionaire.
He's an honest and genuinely nice person (I've met him personally on one of his talks).

He doesn't put up a fake mask.

And that's clearly what you want.
Fucking panem et circenses.

Kill yorself.

"The bent knife is the most unique in the cutlery drawer, it's also the first to be thrown away"

Has Stallman seen Lain? What would he think of it?

Stallman is a pretentious faggot who calls himself a 'doctor' without having gained a PhD, destroys any credibility he has by acting like an ass "I'm not glad he's dead but I'm glad he's gone" and his only real claim to fame is contributing to the creation of Linux.

Not really

>two undistputable facts
>one personal opinion

>not really

Really proving my point there feeetard

I hate you fucking freetards. You shit up this board with shilling your broken software and you ruined best girl for me.

I hope all the devices running a variation of Linux explode and take you beta faggot neckbeards with them.

>Utena
Great taste

Now fuck off weeb

>Who gives a shit?
people who care about advancing the FSF's success.

>if you need a nice frontman ... to appreciate FSF and GPL ... you obviously don't understand them
you might not understand this, but generally people assess credibility on a gut judgment informed largely by appearances. it's basically an instinctive process.

it's not fair for the guy that can't trim his nails, shower, or comb his hair; nevertheless, it is what it is. you need someone who looks at least remotely credible, just like the rhetoric you use to communicate an argument is just as crucial as the argument itself.

unless you're saying that someone who makes gut judgments like those fundamentally can't understand what FSF is about, which would sound more like your own baggage strapped on to the free software movement.

>[stallman] doesn't put up a fake mask
i'm not asking him to. i'm asking why he insists on being the person that advocates his point if he's aware that he's an extremely divisive person. he's intelligent, but have any of his talks in the past several years required such cerebral intelligence that an intelligent, personable FSF advocate couldn't have done the job just as well? here's the crucial part: if a personable FSF advocate could have done the job instead, what's the expected value on lost supporters if RMS's likelihood of having a meltdown or eating toenail bits during a public appearance is ~0.1?

i'm not asking for fake, like you seem to think. i'm asking for someone who's real and doesn't make normal people uncomfortable. you seem to think those two things are the same, which makes me wonder if you have to *act* normal in day to day life. in that case, it doesn't surprise me that you fall on the side of liking RMS. he's a weird, divisive person and tends to win over other people who are weird. maybe they see themselves in him.

the salt is real

>he had good taste and now be is going to see shit thanks to some idolfag
Thanks for ruining everything.

sorry, meant to say
>i'm asking for someone who's real and doesn't make normal people uncomfortable. you seem to think those two things are mutually exclusive

When the cyber apocalypse happened you'll know we were right

>undistputable
indisputable
ftfy
>without having gained a PhD
>1996: Doctorate honoris causa from Sweden's Royal Institute of Technology

>was he even a phd student?
He was for a short time
>did anyone bet on him being able to contribute significantly to the academic community?
They did, he's a pioneer in AI, he worked with Sussman before quitting the AI lab to dedicate his life to GNU and the FSF
>if he had stayed in academia and written papers about the need for open source and whatnot, at least then his advocacy would be cited more often, get into the academic discourse in a more rigorous fashion, and earn him more credibility in that dimension.
His advocacy for FOSS was born out of watching his environment getting destroyed by retarded licensing, not out of academic pursuit
Also, he's a physicist and mainly a hacker, not a sociologist to write papers on the impact of licensing

the only people i know who consider an honorary phd to be legitimate are the deans handing them out and the kanye wests accepting them.

Like Benjamin Franklin right?

So you are saying your only experience with honorary doctorates is through watching BET?

>i'm not asking him to
>i'm not asking for fake
You do.

You've mumbled about how people assess credibility of ideas by >muh instincts on person's appearance and behaviour and what you desire is for stallman to fool those instincts to make his ideas more appealing to the general public.

So kys

>Stallman's only achievement is contributing to Linus making Linux
Stallman founded the FSF, wrote and provided licences for FOSS software and wrote the GNU utils. before linux was made. Linux is just a kernel. Without stallman it might never been a thing as a viable OS, or it might have been under some other non-free license.

> there is arguably no more effective way to advance a theoretical argument.
Well yeah, there is. Proving it. Going off and making it real.

But more importantly, would consumers know or care about the academic formality of these ideas? No. They would care about what works. Would the proprietary software giants care about them? No, they'd only care about the competition.

>these are not mutually exclusive.
So you're saying he could have worked just as hard on GNU, FSF etc. while also pursuing demanding academic goals?
I don't think so.

Your argument isn't nearly as persuasive outside of your head as it seems to be inside it. Kanye West has an honorary doctorate. Oprah has four. JK Rowling has 7.

JK Rowling has 7 honorary doctorates. That's one for each Harry Potter book.

>You've mumbled
if you're hearing mumbling of these words, it's because you're reading out loud as you read text.

What are you implying?

Stallman has 12 honorary doctorates, which more than qualifies him to use Dr in his name
he also has 2-3 honorary professorships

myplan.com/majors/acupuncture/description-51.3301.html?sid=b855c28d47b90167c37b01de91aafd77

Someone has a PhD in acupuncture, your argument is invalid.

>You've mumbled about how people assess credibility of ideas
He's right. see
[1] MASIP, J., GARRIDO, E., AND HERRERO, C. Facial appearance and impressions of credibility: The effects of facial babyishness and age on person perception. International Journal of Psychology 39, 4 (2004), 276–289.
[2] O’NEAL, G. S., AND LAPITSKY, M. Effects of clothing as nonverbal communication on credibility of the message source. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal 9, 3 (1991), 28–34.
[3] WATHEN, C. N., AND BURKELL, J. Believe it or not: Factors influencing credibility on the web. Journal of the American society for information science and technology 53, 2 (2002), 134–144.

a bunch of bullshit degrees don't have additive credibility characteristics.

or alternatively, you probably wouldn't make this argument if it was steve jobs with 12 honorary doctorates instead of RMS, which makes this pretty clearly post facto rationalizing.

I don't understand this Maki meme

I wouldn't for Steve jobs
honorary degrees are awarded for non academic work that a university considers beneficial to society and worth giving credit
If Steve Jobs had been given honorary degrees for reinventing the already invented then I would question it, but seeing as stallman has done legitimate work that doesn't have a profit motive like Steve, I don't feel that the two are comparable
in other words rms has non-bullshit honorary degrees

the study of acupuncture makes sense, at least to assess its usefulness as a way to treat pain. someone has to do research in that field.

it's also decidedly small; just 34 PhDs, and most likely none of us would recognize the granting institutions' names.

When Harvard gives someone an honorary doctorate, that's different from Charlie's School for the Acupuncturally Gifted giving someone a "real" PhD.

haha, get fucked

You have honorary AiDs in fourchan argumentation.

>non-bullshit honorary degrees
you're splitting hairs, and i'm sorry but i just can't accept it. universities give out honorary degrees completely at their discretion and for their own reasons. any merit *you* associate with someone's honorary degree is largely projected, so it's not only unfair, but actually unreasonable to differentiate between honorary degrees in a bullshit or not-bullshit way.

the practice is bullshit *because* of the variability in who gets them, and the whimsical nature of universities handing them out. Bill Cosby had like 3, then had them taken away. Hitler had at least one that got taken back a while ago (in the last 30 years i think). Kermit the Frog has an honorary doctorate. JK Rowling has 7 (as previously stated).

The criteria for giving honorary doctorates is fundamentally disconnected from the "real" process of getting a PhD, so any number of honorary doctorates can't reasonably add up to equivalent credibility with a real one. if anything, this sounds like the bandwagon fallacy. i might buy it if not for the fact that people generally get their honorary doctorates after (read: for) giving commencement speeches.

>he should thank Marx or whoever pinkos worship
>implying communists worship anything
>implying communism isn't science based

Capitalists rely on the 'invisible hand'. Kek

'le lesbian anime much like his first love

it all adds up

>horonorary doctorate
>real doctor

Just like Dr. J.K. Rowling, with her ground breaking research into wizards, right?

7 doctorates!

He did some shit no one cares about to this day, and contributed a bit to Linux. That's the extent of it.

>having an honorary doctorate means you can call yourself a doctor

Steve Jobs has a few, and changed the face of technology far more than that fat communist, you care to pay your respect to Doctor Jobs?

>some honorary degrees are shit but stallmans are legit I swear guize

If you're a good boy you think 'Doctor' Stallman will let you suck his dick?

He's a fat sham

>a bit
>to linux
B8

>communists don't worship anything

Nice fedora, how's the theory behind the Great Leap Forward coming along?

This fat guy has never done anything except complaining about "proprietary". Linus Torvalds is the real guy, he made the Linux and is a multi-millionaire. He knows how the world works.

ITT 3rd world autistics try to argue semantics in a language they just learned.

Linus Torvalds copied Minix and then sat back while everyone else did the work. It is this same attitude that caused him to allow its demise, btw.

And all Stallman did was contribute to Linus's work.

That's what history will remember.

>Linus Torvalds

Sorry, but I think you mean Doctor Torvalds

mobile.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2000012700305NWCY

Owned

>Sorry
I know you are.
>I think
You've shown us that you are very good at it.
>you mean
Yes, I am.
>Doctor Torvalds
Congratulations. Is that a PhD is CopyPasta?

>is that a PhD is copypasta

>tries to save face
>can't into grammar

Kek