First MP3 Player

What was your first mp3 player Sup Forums? Mine was a mobiBLU Cube.

>World's smallest digital audio player, at 0.63 ounces and 0.94 inches square
>1 GB memory holds 16 hours of MP3 and 32 hours of WMA audio
>Plays MP3, WMA, and secure WMA (compatible with online stores and subscription services)
>Integrated FM radio with 20 presets and record function; built-in microphone and voice recorder
>Unique OLED display; internal lithium-polymer battery charged via USB connection or AC adapter

It died after like 5-6 months. also mp3 player general I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9DXMDzqA-UI
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Archos_XS202.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Some $20 piece of crap in like 2003. It came with 32MB of memory. I think there was a SmartMedia (remember that?) slot for up to 64MB more.

in 2007 I bought a 2GB Sansa player, one of the last to use AAA batteries. As a result of that, I'm still using it.

ipod "classic" from 2006/7

This, it was a 60GB I think. Had U2 on the box. I liked it but I remember iTunes being complete and utter shit on Windows XP.

Ultra (Tigerdirect's house brand) one that ran on a single AAA battery and took full-size SD cards. Ran it off of USB power to play on-hold music for a phone system until a couple years ago, it should still work.

>I liked it but I remember iTunes being complete and utter shit on Windows XP.
iTunes has always been complete and utter shit, on every platform.

I can't remember my first one, but the most memorable one was the Ipod nano I got inside a popsicle.

Was a gift from my uncle around 2001 or so. Read from CDs. Served me reasonably well. RIP Uncle John. You had a Blu-ray burner before I knew what blu-ray was.

Creative MuVo 128MB, with FM Radio.
Pretty awesome. Still have it and it works with powerbanks too with easily 100s of hours of battery life.

a lot of memories attached to this thing, wherever it may be now

This wasn't my first, but it was certainly my favorite. Showed that tiny player off everywhere with those necklace headphones.

My first mp3 player was some cheap philips from walmart in like 2004 it broke pretty quickly. The first mp3 player I really used was a creative zen sleek. I actually carried this thing around everywhere until like 2009/2010 or something.

>a bunch of little portable gadgets have built-in FM radios
>never ever an AM radio
>only stations I listen to are AM

reeeeee, or something

Get Pic related.

Remember these? Yeah everyone does.

yea, i got one of those

interestingly, many of them supported vorbis, despite not saying so anywhere

i modified the firmware on mine to change the graphics and text to give it a windows look/feel
like changing the startup splash to "Windows S1" with a windows logo, music to "WMP", settings to "control panel", etc

I had one.
It sounded like crap.
They're making a return with the Ruizu, the new Sansas and well they've basically have always been there really.

Early Sansa was the first I purchased
though I also had a one of those Muvos but it was so damn crappy, I think I formatted it and completely fucked it up, I think I still have it around I wonder if I can get it to work again.

It broke when I tried to defrag it because I thought that was proper MP3 player maintenance.

takes me back to 4th grade

Some chink thing from 2003ish, my Grandma got me it after a school year. Put anime soundtracks on it.

Second one was a Sansa that took a AAA battery, then another with a scroll wheel that could be RockBoxed. Both Sansas were the best shit ever.

I had this piece of Chinese trash in junior high. Of course girls would give me a weird face saying "omg what the heck is that" but when the black and white iPod came out a bit after...

Anyways, 64mb was shit.

My first mp3 player was a green ipod nano like the 2nd gen I think. I got my first blowjob thanks to that thing and I loved it dearly until I sent it to Africa to reside with my dear cousin.

Since then (~8 years) I've gone with my phone as my PMP, and honestly my biggest regret when buying my nexus 6p was not getting the 128 gig model. but oh well.

These things are fucking legends.
We used to make "radio shows" and mixtapes with the audio recording function of these. Had the 512MB version myself.

Some 128mb one in 2005. Looked a bit like a dick. Then I had a ton of Mp3s in various capacities.

Nowadays I have a Sony A17, loaded with .flacs

>Nexus
That phone doesn't even have expendable storage. What a cuck!

Served me well

got this for my first girlfriend. thing was pretty cool. she was not, it turned out.

1st gen ipod, got it at launch. I wonder if it still works?

I had that fucker. One of the only major MP3 players that actually supported Japanese filenames. Returned it because I kept it in my pocket and it was uncomfortable and I didn't want to wear it like a necklace.

I have a mini disk player from 2001 still. Will take a picture if you want. Disk in it is Kanye West college dropout right now

you should see if you can sell it. i just googled around and the first generation ipod is selling for a lot of money.

like, 5 figures easily. maybe those are all new in box, but i figure a working ipod should still fetch a good price.

>implying i listen to ching chong music

It's mechanical, there's no reason why you shouldn't have.

I had one that had a usb that would come out of it and had a small matrix screen.

Was kinda cool. Then i got an ipod shuffle, then ipod touch, sold the touch and never purchased a dedicated player since

THIS MOTHER FUCKER RIGHT HERE.

do you know what you're looking at? this is the mother fucking e.Digital MXP 100. Don't know who e.Digital is? that's because you're a fucking peasant.

This shit had like 8mb onboard storage. sounds like shit right? See that little rubber flap on the side there? that hid a fucking COMPACT FLASH port. you could upgrade your storage space whenever you fucking felt like it. i had a 128mb card in mine, while my pleb friend had his little gay 64mb piece of shit player that ran on AA batteries.

oh, i hadn't even mentioned either. the MXP 100 had a MOTHER FUCKING RECHARGEABLE BATTERY. That's right. This fucking thing had the same type of batteries cordless phones had. If the battery ever fucked up, you could run to radio shack to get a new one with no issue. you could even upgrade the capacity if they had one larger.

Nigger this thing even had a blue backlight. I could see what i was playing whenever i needed to. Even had a bad ass EQ visualization that would interact with the music that was currently playing.

This shit was so ahead of it's time, and i got it for 120 bucks from some random electronic shop. Never saw another product from these guys ever again. I actually still have the thing too. I even remember the first mp3 i ever put on it to test it.

youtube.com/watch?v=9DXMDzqA-UI

>tfw still use mine as a 1gb flash drive after it broke

iriver IFP 800 series. 2003 or so. 1GB. Still keep it around for when I have to mow a lawn and have to keep it in my pocket the entire time as my android sucks for this purpose. The screen on mine is dead. Also has a microphone.

holy shit i remember this, i got so pissed at it because of the borderline low quality on the jack cover and not being able to navigate it or something

>first mp3 player
winamp

Pretty sure this was my first.
Although the one I remember is the archos xs202
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Archos_XS202.jpg

I struggled with the shitty follow up archos' because there was nothing better until the Clip's came out.

I'll use Clips til I die now.

my music class used these for exams and stuff

The rocker switch was really annoying to use. Glad they moved on to something better.

haven't heard that song in ages

What you got on my minidisc player? Just took this picture. Yes all of those discs are unopened aside from the one purple one

STEP IT UP SENPAI

MD looked so cool but holy fuck they were a total meme

That's the downgraded version. Also, mine is right here in front of me. The S2 is water resistant as well.

Stand back millenials, grampa's gonna have a nostalgia trip.

>get this back in 2000's
>burn my sick mix of animu OP/ED mp3s onto 210mb mini-CDs
>pop in 2x AAs
>whip out my Aiwa
>slam it home into the player
>hit play
>all the bitches in class be slobbering all over my dick
>decide to mix it up
>pop out mini-CD
>pop in my spare gundam wing mini-CD
>even the teach and hot substitute are riding my dick now

feltgoodman

>being so poor you could only afford late 1980s tech in 2000s
>pretend it's nostalgia

didn't regret a cent, the small 8gig zune was nice for carrying around though

How so? Water resistant, scratch proof, drop proof, 80mb of storage ( back then an mp3 was like 2mb tops).

>mp3
>1980s

the one ebay auction I see for a NOS iPod "1st generation" (it's second gen, you can tell by the box design and typeface) at $50K is probably not going to sell at that price. $400 for ipod with box is more realistic, but mine is in kind of shit condition, last I checked, and I like having it as a memento, like the G4 imac I bought it with.

Oh shit my dude. I went through like 4-5 of these since they would stop working randomly

the research and development is almost entirely in the 80's, with only the standardization being done in the early 90's

They were still just tapes. all the proofing is irrelevant if you take care of your shit.

It was either this 64mb RCA Lyra, or the portable CD player that also played MP3 discs (also RCA). It was a nightmare getting anything with USB storage to work with Windows 98 at the time. Ran off a single AAA battery, I went through a lot of batteries in 2002 I guess.

>S2
You lucky bastard, I had the S2 cd player (which was stolen literally days later) but I loved it.
Still have my minidisc player kicking around but since there's nothing worth a shit software wise for Linux it's basically a paper weight

I also had one of those. I liked em. I also stored my college papers in that shit.

I think it was walmart exclusive or something.

iPod 5.5
Good times with Rockbox and gradually converting everything to Vorbis with AoTuV as I ran out of room for FLAC

>He didn't install a 1TB SSD in his iPod.

I remember those things. They were overpriced walmart exclusive mp3 players. Like 200 bucks for one.

A 5.5 would run out of RAM, even on rockbox.
Maybe not so fast if used lossless audio, but there's no practical way to fill 1tb on that iPod. And the battery life would be shit.

My first was this thing. Traded my bud a Gameboy Advance SP for it. Had a whole 32MB of storage, so I had to choose my 6 favorite MP3s to put on it.

Had the Cube too. Firmware would shit itself every few weeks. And the last version of their software I ever saw released couldn't even find the player. Luckily I still had the CD for it.

One of these guys.
Paid $30 for it when i was a kiddo.
Cheep, reliable, indestructible.
And if you put an energizer lithium in it you would get a good 5 months battery life.
My favourite feature was the AM/FM radio and recorder so i could make radio rips on the go. Mic was awesome. It kind of made me glad i was to poor to get and ipod, every one i knew that had one ended up breaking there’s.

It was a "tape" you could repeatedly re-record without worry of it stretching or wearing thin. You could immediately direct-access songs like a CD. It held 5 hours per disc if you didn't mind a drop in quality. And it would last forever on a single AA battery, and play at full speed until it dies. None of that gradual slowdown you had with tape players.

They were all over Japan. Main reason they didn't catch on in the US is by the time they approached an affordable price, CD burners got cheap, so people just kept with those.

He said mp3, not some shitty Sony format that was another nail in the coffin for the once great company

picture was first
then a Creative Zen Vision M
then a Creative Zen x-fi

I also got a SanDisk Clip aswell, those things were neet.

Rio S50 128MB
I fukken loved this thing

i listened to shit on tape casettes on some sony cassette player

my first mp3 player was a 20 dollar chink mp3 player with a clock-like screen and it held like 30 songs

I still have my first MP3 player. Bought it off some kid in my class around 2005 for 20 bucks I think

iRiver 20gb. That thing was great.

This one, so goddamn stylish, loved it

Found it recently in a box in the back of my closet, battery was all bloated sadly.

this for me too

Sold it after a month and bought
>pic related

Creative Zen
Loved how sturdy it felt, how small it was, the minimalistic interface. Lasted me for years until I dropped it and a car ran over it. I've considered buying another one.

It was 2003, even the pic is low res lol

>not knowing how to greentext

This little fucker right here. I then fell into the zune meme

A CD player that could read MP3. It had like three seconds shock buffering, after which it started stuttering. Kinda looked like this, but cooler. Blue and grey.

My first "real" one was a stick type with 32mb memory and it couldn't read shit above 128kb/s.

Hahahaha, ooh the old days. I still have it, some where in my desk. Unfortunately it doesn't work.