I seriously fucking dont get the hate for Arch

I seriously fucking dont get the hate for Arch.

Time for some mythbusting:

1.) Pacman -Syu does not breaks your system for fucks sake. Updates are first tested and then released. I have been using Arch for about an year now. Never it has broken or misbehaved.

2.) Installation is EASY. I can install the base system in like 15minutes + 2 hours for other shit like configuring DE and other shit. And NO it doesn't take weeks or days to rice. Just a couple of hours.

The only reason for hating Arch that I can think of is the cringy user base. The OS itself has no fault in this.

Grow up Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

qa.debian.org/dose/debcheck/testing_contrib nonfree/index.html
bugs.archlinux.org/task/47092
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>cringy user base
Speak for yourself

shhh dont tell them about arch.
let them believe the memes.
the less retards we have to deal with the better.

>just a couple a hours

Kek

It was a playful meme taken too far by people that are frankly uneducated on the matter. Little sad since it's a very good distro but what can you do.

I believe the thing that triggered it was xorg breaking ONE time because of a clash with an nvidia update it wasn't prepared for.

>not having arch weather
qa.debian.org/dose/debcheck/testing_contrib nonfree/index.html

>Updates are first tested and then released.
Tested on how many different setups?

Maybe the few "sterile" setups the devs test at are nothing like the thousands of exotic shit archbabbies have what with riced X and inbred systemD flavours

My point was that not every fucking Arch user is that typical cringeworthy faggot.

Subscribe to the Arch RSS feed or just open up the Arch news page before any update.

Is there a flood of messages of broken stuff every update?

U fucking retard.

Ubuntu comes preloaded with Unity. If I want I can install Unity in arch in just like a fucking minute. But the time taken to rice Unity will be the same for a Ubuntu user and an Arch user

None I have seen so far. Using for a year.
(Unless you have also enabled the testing repository which is disabled by default)

Anything but systemd is irrelevant.

Isn't there something special about unity which means it kind of 'needs' ubuntu. At least, it's not as easy to install on another distro as any other DE.

Unity is present in the official repos but it can be installed from an unofficial repo called Unity-for-Arch.

But the point was not about unity. The example can be extended to any DE or WM like Gnome or KDE

Anyone who uses Linux as their primary operating system is a fucking retarded hipster moron.

What's it like knowing that instead of using well made proprietary software, you instead have to resort to using shitty freeware alternatives that vary in quality because the people who made them don't have prices to insinuate them making shit as best as they can.

Linux users always say how much more "freedom" they have than Windows users, but really that all just boils down to:
>On Linux, instead of having a rational and sane installing process for programs and other things, I get to do all the tedious and annoying shit all on my own and waste valuable time that can be spent working. All just to get some shitty freeware solution to something that will probably NEVER compare to its Windows counterpart.
>But hey atleast I'm free!
Yeah that's some freedom you have there you moron. Have fun with that.

1. Neither does apt

2. 10 minutes with no reading or psuedo skills on ubuntu vs 2 hours and 15 minutes for arch. OK.

>it only takes a couple of hours to rice
Ricing can take anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of years, that's because ricing is stancefag tier and is basically computer butt diddling, it's pointless and what you fill your time up with when you don't have a job.

Linux is half companies and tech professionals trying to move forward and half basement anime pros trying to move backward to prove that they're hardc0re and special snowflakes to the first group who has never cared

I tried Arch and didn't like it. I felt like I had to jump through hoops to get stuff working.

Its plus sides are the arch wiki and how lightweight it is. I can do without the wiki and there are plenty of lightweight and very minimal distros

Bait is strong

lol

Read my comment again. It takes 15 minutes to fucking install it with a proper DE like Gnome or KDE whick even kiddies can use. Plus you dont get bloat

>"I have no argument"

Arch was popular in g, now hating it is popular. In the future it's going to be popular again probably. There's no basis to the general hate as people here, like me, are usually people who repeat what they seen on this board.

>I seriously fucking dont get the hate for Arch.

As far as I'm concerned, you opened with a massive strawman. Sup Forums loves shoving Arch up its but all day every day. The only negative thing I've ever read has been stuff I've written (and one or two responses) to the effect of: what the fuck are you retards "optimizing" for when modern drives are in the hundreds of gigabytes? People talk about how it's great because they get "exactly what they need with no bloat" but I could just install Ubuntu in a quarter of the time and never miss the couple extra gigs lost to packages I don't need.

can confirm, Arch is my daily driver yet I spent a lot of time poking fun at people who use it just to keep the meme going.

Also, most people on Sup Forums either use Arch or Windows 10 (or both); yet those two are the most made-fun of OS's here (because we are all trolls obv.)

>arch

it's not optimizing for hard drive space retard, ubuntu uses a gig of ram ootb, with my full DE and HTTPD/MYSQL server going I use around 300mb. Arch is less bloat, not to mention Debian/Ubuntu enables daemons on installation which is a real bitch if you aren't new to using GNU/Linux and you need to install 2 incompatible daemons (i.e. nginx and apache) or a firewall you want to set up before turning on.

Your hard drive argument is a strawman because no one has ever said they were tryiing to save hdd space.

>it's not optimizing for hard drive space retard, ubuntu uses a gig of ram ootb,

Who the fuck cares? I have 32 gigs on my cheapo desktop.

>enables daemons on installation which is a real bitch if you aren't new to using GNU/Linux and you need to install 2 incompatible daemons

Oh no, I have to turn something off and back on again.

>Your hard drive argument is a strawman because no one has ever said they were tryiing to save hdd space.

Size. Hard drive or RAM, it really doesn't matter. The "only what I need" argument is stupid. It's 2016.

no it isn't because not everyone has 32gigs of ram and some people do other things besides shit post using their pc. Just because you're a Sup Forums faggot doesn't mean everyone wants to waste their ram. I only have 8gigs and mine is maxed out right now (given, I am building a cross compiler right now) even though as I said when just using the DE it runs at 300mb.

>enables daemons on installation which is a real bitch if you aren't new to using GNU/Linux and you need to install 2 incompatible daemons

this is a security hazard for people who actually work, look into it

>Your hard drive argument is a strawman because no one has ever said they were tryiing to save hdd space.
again, yes it does; you are just dumb and are meming there is no point in having 32gigs of ram right now. I'd prefer to install Arch on my 8gig rig and it's free as opposed to the 80-100$ it would cost to buy 32gigs of ram. (Not to mention I don't currently have a mobo cable of utilizing that much ram.)

found the poorfag

>Updates are first tested then released
Barely.

There's only a single cycle for every single Arch system, no matter your configuration. So when you used nvidia legacy drivers for any 700 series graphics card or below, and the arch devs updated the Linux kernel to the latest patch at the time, it broke the nvidia module. That's because the new patch deprecated methods that nvidia's module called. So at the time, anyone running nvidia-304xx or nvidia-340xx that then did an -Syu could not start X after the restart due to the failed module.

Either you switched back to the previous kernel and all other packages, including headers, you manually patch the modules back into the kernel and recompile it, or you switch to the LTS kernel.

On gentoo, we have system profiles, and if a package is going to break any other major package in a system update, they will mask the package until it is safe to use again. That way if you're using systemd and gnome, and a package install may break those components, the devs will mask the package and it will never get pulled in as a dep, nor accidently by you. You can however still manually add it to a whitelist and install it.

And just so you know I'm not lying
bugs.archlinux.org/task/47092

That kernel was in its testing phase and was still pulled into the (single) arch repo. Breaking my X at the time and leaving me stranded into a TTY until I switched to the LTS kernel. Not a lot of time wasted, but annoying nevertheless.

its very disheartening to see that people here are completely unaware that the entire meme against arch was fabricated by microsoft shills who still consider alternative OSes to be a significant threat

I had to switch my media center from arch this last month because an update (Linux 4.5) will not read my hard disk. I do not know why really, but a few others have the same error and it still hasn't been fixed over a month later (still haven't deleted that partition yet, tho)

Arch does break once a year or so, so I have systems in place to revert back within 45 minutes (the media center just pissed me off because if I can't update it (especially in a month) it gets up to over a gig of updates at which point a reinstall is better/faster imo.)

Yeah, absolutely. I don't hate arch, it's an alright distro for most configurations, but it certainly can break and has got very little thought put into it by the devs for the end user

I think of it as one of those super fast drag cars that need parachutes to break, in comparison to other distros that aren't so fast but have proper breaks, if that makes sense lol

Great, now archfags have entire conspiracy theories to explain why their distro is shit

>I run Arch because I can't afford to into 2016 technology
>or even 2015
>or 2013, now that you mention it
>actually, more like 2012

Anyhoo

> you are just dumb

Yeah, you sure made that argument in a solid manner.

> and are meming

What the FUCK "meme" do you think I'm "meming", poortard?

> there is no point in having 32gigs of ram right now.

Well, for one thing I don't have to fuck around with a neckbeard basement dweller distribution to prove my alpha geek cred to absolutely nobody who cares. Also, it means I can run several VMs, a IDE, and a game at the same time veeeery smoothly.

>I can install the base system in like 15minutes + 2 hours for other shit like configuring DE and other shit.
>2 hours for other shit like configuring DE

>not just using manjaro instead

>It takes 15 minutes to fucking install it with a proper DE like Gnome or KDE whick even kiddies can use.
>Gnome or KDE whick even kiddies can use.
>kiddies
Thank you for proving the hate towards arch and its users is justified

idk I kind of like having a well written terminal emulator and a full implementation of GCC available straight after install, as well as openssh so I can access my server in the other room, write and compile my C code all from the same fully supported non-shit implementation of my unix shell of choice, in my well written terminal emulator of choice.

But you're write, better grab puTTY.exe from source forge and install a fake *nix enviroment to my root partiti- sorry, C: drive so I can run cygwin, or install a 16gb proprietary IDE + a frontend to LLVM so I can write some simple C programs for practise and compile them.

"bloat" is a meme that you tell yourself to pretend you're getting something better. Every linux benchmark, phoronix etc, always no more than a 3% difference between distros which is well within standard random deviation.

Nobody cares if you want to be an autist. Here's what pisses people off
>I am better than you

Instead say
>I think I'm better than you

You can also instead say "blote" which shows its meme status

Fuck 2012, If you have a fucking C2D with a dedicated non-intel graphics card from 2006 you can still easily run KDE. Let alone all the precious obscure tilingwms. People who do this are just filling up their time by having fake e-contests on whoever can use the least system resources like they've "won" at their own made up sport. Last time this was actually relevant wherein even the lightest DE had to be properly configured was what, late 90s?

Fuck you, I use 2009 technology.

kek

>e-contests
>least resources
They will still lose to damn small Linux.

I am using a 2006 single core celeron M and kde is working just fine

O SHIT WHADDUP

Arch *is* nice.
I used it to build a SNES emulator from a REALLY shitty laptop (Celeron@1GHZ).

Running zsnes on top of a plain xorg server and alsa is fast as fuck even on this low hardware.

However I'd never use it as my primary OS.

I've been using Arch with testing enabled forever now. Ditched sysd for openrc a while back, and cannot stress enough the benefits of a systemd free system. Openrc is just... its just... I am going to marry openrc. Pacman is the most basic and easiest to use pkg manager there is. Upgrade, downgrade to a specific version, ignore pkg, ignore group, etc, pacman is hotter than fire set on fire. The only negative thing about arch, is that pacman will install all the dev and src crap by default, bloating all the pkgs up a bit. All in all theres nothing wrong with Arch, its the haters that need adjustment.

>I seriously fucking dont get the hate for Arch.
You want to know the truth? The Arch haters are all stupid people who couldn't handle it. It's as simple as that. Arch works perfectly for any non-retard it's just another OS, one that's highly customizable and well suited for developmental work.

Op, you have to understand the "arch sucks" meme was created by a literal 260 pound plus faggot who uses Ubuntu
He creates arch hate threads everyday and always posts the same pictures (with the same filenames) and also samefags very hard
Don't justificate your usage of Arch to him, he's just doing the "le Ebin, trolled ya, niggeroni" thing order to conpensate for his shit life.
Just ignore him guys
he will eventually suicide once he realizes noone falls for his bait

must be nice, living in pretend land friend :)

>actually, more like 2012
umm... I had a 32bit with 4gigs of ram in 2012, the average specs at that time. Again, I can run Gnome/KDE what ever I just don't want to because it takes up to much ram.

32gigs of ram is dick waving, and you act like I have a complex?

>neckbeard basement dweller distribution to prove my alpha geek cred to absolutely nobody who cares
this is exactly what you are doing, with ram. Plus the only people who know what I'm using isn't just a Windows theme (or even care really) is faggots like you on the internet boasting about how you have a top of the line PC to shit post from yet say me using Arch is crazy.

>Also, it means I can run several VMs, a IDE, and a game at the same time veeeery smoothly.
I too can do all these things, I run multiple VM's (I don't use an IDE because it's not my work computer and I'm not a faggot/autist and understand Makefiles, Bash, compiler flags.

I like you, you're funny.

look man i'm bored and it's so easy they don't even have real arguments

This so much. Also if something does break you can actually find help advice or ask for it if it isn't there. On Ubuntu everyone just saying have you tried the Ubuntu three problem solving guide 1) turn comp off and on again 2) reinstall problematic program 3) delete all configs, even irrelevant ones 4) reinstall Ubuntu.

I hate you OP because this is not the desktop thread.

>not using gentoo
arch is an os for faggots made by faggots.

>>not using gentoo
LITERALLY this

It's like arch except actually has a good team of devs and a vastly superior method of package management

kekity-kek

The arch hate made me install arch bruh.
I actually think it's reverse psychology.

This actually happened to me. 6 months into the meme now.

Been using Arch for a while now. Arch is the most easy to deal with because of its fantastic wiki and the AUR. I don't think I'll ever switch

Arch is hated by people who failed to install it, or were too lazy to figure it out. Also by that one obese guy.

>Pacman -Syu does not breaks your system for fucks sake.
nice meme

Fucking this. The "Arch Haet Meemay xD" is one of the few things standing between us and a horde of little kids trying to live out their Matrix hacker fantasies or anime "ricing" help vampires invading the forums, IRC, etc. It's already starting to get bad, and I'd like it to not get worse.

>we have to deal

With whom are YOU dealing with?

the retards who put shit packages in the aur. Like I'm mantaining the git version of a cool program, and a retard makes a versioned package which just takes the latest git commit. Worse of all, he doesn't even patch the source to make it use proper paths.

I swear I'll kill him

>Caring about what other people think about the OS your choose
People will just brag and cry about others not having their same choicea

I'm perfectly fine with a debian minimal install. Takes me half the time and I get basically the same shit I want. Not to mention it won't break spontaneously.

I completely agree with you, and if someone is too tired to manually install Arch the vanilla way, there are other arch-based distros such as Architect and Apricity-OS which provide graphical installers.
The AUR is an awesome extension to the packages already available through pacman, this is the main reason I am using Arch instead of any other distro.

What if I told you it is sometimes easier to develop under a UNIX environment, and GNU/Linux distros are able to provide great tools that aren’t available under Windows?
I use both Win10 and Arch, both have their use both at work and when I’m at home, both can do things the other can’t (and no, it’s not only muh games for Windows, but actual tools for my job).

stop with this retarded meme, Arch won’t break, until you’re retarded or acting retarded.

>until you’re retarded or acting retarded
*unless

A distribution that is susceptible to breaking doesn't make anyone retarded. No one thinks you're special for muh bleeding edge.

>systemd
Use void.

You seem like exactly the person to ask this, so, if I wanted a WM with gaps and I didn't want to use i3, what would I be looking for?

awesome

Man, I took a long look at awesome. I even went as far as installing it and getting it up and running. Holy crap the amount of work needed to do ANYTHING in it is astounding. I'm not exactly a lua expert, and awesome seems to be quite dependent on it. Also, it does about 3000 things I don't need a twm to do.

I still appreciate the recommendation, though.

Installation is easy as pie, i agree, but why the fuck don't they have gui installers for non-autistic people?

They could even use Calamares if they don't want to build their own, but frankly they're just being autistic elitists... ay

>but why the fuck don't they have gui installers for non-autistic people?

They have gui installers. Check Architect and ApricityOS out, they are two examples, and there are other arch-based distros with gui installers.