John McAfee is back in the game. He's set to become CEO of MGT and will rebrand it as a cybersecurity company...

John McAfee is back in the game. He's set to become CEO of MGT and will rebrand it as a cybersecurity company. He already claims to have hacked WhatsApp to show how much of a joke smartphone security currently is.

engadget.com/2016/05/15/john-mcafee-claims-to-crack-whatsapp-messages/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o-Uv5ZNk0RE
youtube.com/watch?v=8Vte2VIGH3Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can someone copy text from the page? Doesn't work on mobile

John McAfee is already many things -- entrepreneur, presidential hopeful, alleged criminal. However, you might have to add one more item to that list: the co-discoverer of a potentially major Android security flaw. He and a team in Colorado claim to have found a hole in Google's mobile platform that lets them read encrypted WhatsApp messages (and those from other services, for that matter), rendering its privacy safeguards pointless. McAfee is saying precious little about how the intrusion works, but he supposedly gave Cybersecurity Ventures enough details to suggest that the story might hold up.

LIFARS, which conducted forensics here, believes that the trick didn't involve getting root access to the phone, and that there were hints of both keyboard recording and spyware vulnerabilities. This would target an everyday Android phone, then, not just one that's already compromised.

McAfee says he's sharing the flaw after talking to Google. We've asked Google itself if it can shed more light on the claims and outline its plans for a fix (assuming one is needed). If his team really did find a way around encryption, though, this could represent a serious problem. Simply speaking, you couldn't guarantee that a chat was private unless you knew that everyone was running a safe operating system.

Update: You know what they say about stories sounding too good (or in this case, too interesting) to be true? Yeah, that may well be true. Gizmodo's own sources maintain that McAfee was trying to perpetrate a hoax. Reportedly, he wanted to send reporters phones "pre-cooked" with keylogger malware to convince them that he'd cracked WhatsApp. He supposedly changed his story to focus on an Android vulnerability when reporters weren't sure about their ability to verify the details.

McAfee isn't having Gizmodo's take on things (his response is colorful, to put it mildly) and swears that how the malware reached the phones "is the story."

he's broke

he looks like hes done a lot of coke

I can't stand Sup Forums any more. There's too much shilling for Gary boring ass Johnson instead of John The™ Absolute© Madman® McAfee.

>Gives reporters phones with preloaded malware
>"hurr durr Hey guys, I totally cracked What's app"
McAfee confirmed for skiddie

>He found an hole in a Facebook product
>through a hole in the Google platform
>totally nothing to do with the fact that both companies are NSA ona holes.
Found your problem user

Fuck McAffee, I want Kim Dotcom back in the game.

>I want Kim Dotcom back in the game.
I wish my post came true.

He's running for president

McAffee is just like those skids in Sup Forums that hack peoples facebooks because they left it logged in at their school.

but is he touched by the anime goddesses like norton?

I think not

youtube.com/watch?v=o-Uv5ZNk0RE

He knows how to truly hack. He is elite.

i met him at defcon last year. he is genuinely insane

Why do people still listen to McAfee? He's clearly gone off the deep end

You forgot to mention cybersecurity legend

Stop snorting bath salts John, also you forgot your "Will hack for food " banner

McAfee is a fucking idiot that tried to school everybody on hardware security despite utterly failing to understand the basic concepts behind asymmetric cryptography

He is a fucking meme and you should kill yourself

this

He's an unwanted remnant of a bygone age.
He is fully irrelevant and a crackpot

what the fuck are bath salts?

Mcafee is a CIA operative who led the FBI-cant-crack-apple

Full fascism edition cult of personality for the Tobey Macguire spiderman neets

Stop posting his face on his board spin doctors

McAfee is an insane drug addicted attention whore.

documentary about the murder allegations and his life
youtube.com/watch?v=8Vte2VIGH3Q

His stock is literally 600% up over the past week. It's shooting to the roof due to speculation.

pump and dump?

homemade bath salts in belize which may have prompted him to kill someone