Which GNU/Linux distribution is the best and why is gentoo?

Which GNU/Linux distribution is the best and why is gentoo?

Other urls found in this thread:

funroll-loops.info/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

>Professional and respectable community
>Portage > Ports
>USE Flags
>Masking policy
>Flexible
>Encourages users to actually use the shell instead of the GUI
>New SSL that other distros don't even have
>Compile from source using code for the native CPU architecture to ensure the best performance
>No default Systemd but supports Sysd
>Hardened security is amazing
>Easy maintenance
>Gentooman

I used Gentoo for a few years, and it is dear to my heart, but meh. It all depends. I loved Gentoo for the reasons you describe, but not they're precisely why I stopped using it.

I do miss the Gentoo community though. They've always been highly technical and enjoyable to talk to.

Forever relevant: funroll-loops.info/

No! It's Funtoo and crux.

>Funtoo

Oh man, that just reminded me. How's the Gentoo project doing these days?

Part of the reason I left is that Gentoo had no sense of leadership or direction. It always felt like it just... existed. Has that changed at all since I've been gone?

Oh and, that wasn't a typo, and I did mean Gentoo and not Funtoo.

You mentioning Funtoo just reminded me about how Funtoo was, well, an effort to put fun back into the project. Or something like that. And if I recall, Funtoo was founded by, well, one of the Gentoo founders, right?

Is there any guides on creating custom gentoo guis?

I don't understand what you mean by this?
Like I was to set up a lab with Gentoo I would just write a shell script. Or do you mean like building something from X?

>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and has no definitive correct answer

Arch Linux ~Inspired by two of my other favorite distros Slackware and Crux

Ah, Slackware. That distro is dear to me as well. Though I don't use it for the same reasons as I don't use Gentoo.

Just too much work, and there's no official packages for the software I need, and I'm too lazy to bother with Slackbuilds.org anymore.

Godamn, I love that distro's simplicity though. There's something magical about being able to manage your packages with shell scripts.

Gentoo cuz portage.

I dunno, The *BSD's Ports are pretty decent. Yeah, they're all Makefile based and nowhere near as feature-rich as Portage, but eh, they get the job done.

Bonus points for NetBSD's pkgsrc, which works perfectly on plenty of other platforms, and is quick-and-trivial to get up-and-running quickly. I use it on Mac OS at the moment, and godamn, it's such a pleasure to use.

Can't say the same thing about Gentoo Prefix, though. That always gave me problems.

gentoo is the best! i'm happy i fell for the gentoo meme!

Debian is the only choice

*/* libressl
net-misc/curl curl_ssl_libressl -curl_ssl_openssl

Yeah, I always like BSD Ports but with Portage I can just set the flags and I don't have to worry about it. I really appreciate that. I think it's brilliant.

It's LibreSSL, I presume?
Should I right now recompile all packages with it? Is it better?
>Portage > Ports
Any comments on this? I'm currently kinda curious about history of Portage and what features it took from Ports and which it came up with itself.
>Hardened security is amazing
Are there any downsides to it? Thought about looking into it, but not sure if it's a double-edged sword or a straight improvement.

By the original developer