/sqt/ - Stupid question thread

If i downloaded W8.1 but it has a different SHA-1 than the ones i can find in google i should avoid using it right?

name: en_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_6051480.iso
SHA-1: CA4482155B65AC0BD0BA859E2A8E732DFF9CE517

Other urls found in this thread:

bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1014557&gclid=CMugjuvb4swCFRMlgQod1BgB8Q&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677562,&Q=&A=details
m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814127836
ds4windows.com
pidginthemes.com/
dotshare.it/category/chat/irssi/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/IRC#Clients
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

better safe than sorry

might as well go with 10 if you'd willingly install 8

although I'd recommend pic related if I'm honest

Im reinstalling W8.1 on a laptop, otherwise i would use W7, like everyone im avoiding W10.

I already dualboot mint.

Does having more fans constantly running at a higher speed reduce the rate at which dust builds up in your computer because a faster air current would give dust less opportunity to settle, or increase the rate at which dust builds up in your computer because you're moving more air through your machine so most dust in total is brought in?

This guy is not giving me an answer and I want to find some place where I can read more about the matter:

With dual channel memory you have 4 RAM slots available. If you populate two of them with 2x8GB DIMMs, your system has 16GB of RAM and 64 bit applications can access all 16GB of RAM.
>If you populate all 4 DIMMs with RAM you have 4x8GB for 32GB of RAM, but because you are using all 4 DIMMs, your system can only access 16GB per application.

I've never heard of any such limitation in 64 bit systems and applications, and I'm looking for a source that explains it in more detail.

Is there a relatively foolproof method of color calibration that doesn't require some expensive tool?

I'm notoriously bad at trying to do it by eye.

is there any compatibility problems between a new GPU and old as fuck games?

Really rare, and if it happens it can be fixed easy.

I want to install windows 98, with UEFI (no MBR).
Can I load UEFI GRUB, then load windows 98 with it, or is it just impossible?

checked and "no", it doesnt matter that much. If you're concerned about dust put your pc on a higher place and put some dust filters.

You can buy a color reference card and see how it matches to the image on your monitor. Better than nothin'

bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1014557&gclid=CMugjuvb4swCFRMlgQod1BgB8Q&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677562,&Q=&A=details

short answer: no. If you don't really need it get a well reviewed IPS and don't bother beyond color profiles from a review or some shit like that.

Tons of them. Good luck tracking down patches ;)

Or just use the good old games versions.

Just moved into a new unit, and where the phone jack should be in the kitchen, I have this over the top.

I called Telstra, they told me that they could see the line through the data base, but internode said there was an error, and to check the line for a dial tone.

What is the right way to go about this?
Call Telstra to reconnect the line, and then get straight on to internode to bundle the phoneline with broadband?

Tl;Dr
New unit, phone jack is blocked, want to set up broadband, need phone line to go with it

if i update pirated win xp does it realize it's pirated?

yes

If I'm just running a 1080p screen and a secondary (not used for vidya) 1600x900 screen, what's the best card I could get without wasting money on performance which won't benefit me? I was considering getting a 1080, but the more I think about it the more I think I may be better off just getting a 980(ti) off of ebay.

no

maybe

Dont update from windows update.
Use USP4, its an unofficial service pack 4 for xp.
It will fully update your pc

My parents think that because i enjoy working with computers (building them and putting oses on them) more than actually using them i should get a CS degree?
Should i?

Go for CE then instead CS.

Whats CE? Computer engineering?

For that reason, no.

How do I view and edit the mbr on windows

>I was a top 10 student in my first 2 years
>stopped caring and became edgy in junior year
>quarterly grades dropped to high 80s/low 90s, sometimes even lower
>didn't study for sat and only did okay
>recovered from lazy edginess as a senior
>got good sat score
>impossible to be a top 10 student overall now but in the 20s
How fucked am I because of my junior year?

I have an eGPU setup going with my x220t with the GPU just sticking around upward on the Expresscard adapter, and my desk is right in from of an air conditioner. While it doesnt block the air from the conditioner too much, the GPU getting blown by the air conditioner quite a bit.

Anyway, long story short: Will the air conditioner affect the GPU negatively in any way?

Not at all. Don't stress about school and start networking. Employers like me don't give a fuck about your formative years. i want to see that you're a normal person who can interact in a positive way with the rest of the team.

I accidentally started a new thread instead of posting here. Whoops. Here's my stupid question:

After hours of research and measuring my computer I finally decided on buying this graphics card.

Is it a good price? Did I do good for my first graphics card purchase? Pic related, max settings don't really matter to me.

m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814127836

If it somehow manages to cool the GPU below ambient temperature, it could collect condensation and that would be dangerous. But I highly highly doubt that would ever be the case. I think you should be good as long as you replace the dust filters on the AC vent when you should so that the AC isn't constantly blowing dust into your GPU.

Can some one clarify if is this legit? I downloaded from softpedia so it must be right?

What's the best program to make your own music?

For that price you should have bought the GTX 950 instead.

Enjoy playing at 900p/30fps.

He bought a low end videocard, not a PS4.

how to reinstall windows

How to stop shitposting.

Elaborate. Would that work with all my other shitty parts without me having to buy other better parts? I don't have too much to throw around.
>900p/30fps
Doesn't sound bad, my tv and monitor don't output higher than 720p so it's fine. I'm working on a budget here.

Cheapest 120hz 1080p monitor?

Not sure what the rest of your build is but the GTX 950 is a GTX 750Ti upgraded, either the 75W PCIe only for $160 or the normal 90W for $135.
30% more powerful than the GTX 750Ti.

The 750Ti was a good card, but got replaced already, its 2 gens old already.

If you are going to use it on a 720p monitor it will be great.

why is it called stupid questions thead then?

How do I make my own youtube download addon for chrome?

you know you can get a windows 8.1 iso from macrosoft?

No, you download a tool to download the iso.
And you need a retail key for it not an OEM key.

>softpedia
>legit

I actually haven't bought it yet, but I want a low profile card since my case is really tiny. My build just had an old intel g4 integrated graphics card with 4gb of RAM and a Pentium Dual Core 2.60ghz CPU. It can't even play Team fortress 2 at a decent speed.

I don't really want to spend more than $130. So this card would be good, I've read it could play some newer games at decent 720p settings.

In low-mid with problems, yes.

750Ti used to be a good card, but games got more demanding.
Its better than your IGPU thats for sure.

My Windows 8.1 install is suddenly missing its bluetooth menu in PC Settings
pic related, there should be a Bluetooth menu somewhere near display & devices
It was there a few weeks ago, now it's not.
Google has brought me to trying change the login for the Bluetooth Support Service but that didn't work.

Any ideas?

What does the switch that says hybrid on my psu do?

no, you download the iso.

Its what i did when i needed to reinstall but could only boot from usb

laptop? check the bluetooth adapter hasnt detached`

For some reason my hard drives are spinning even when im not using them, how do i change this

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a controller issue I'm having please. I'm trying to use a DS4 controller, and DS4Windows picks up all the stick/button/rumble/light etc inputs in the "Controller Readings" tab, but I'm completely unable to map buttons on the screen in my picture. Nothing is being picked up at all.

I was previously using DS4Windows with no problems until I had to reinstall Windows 10 (64). I definitely meet all the program's requirements and I've tried reinstalling drivers, running as admin, and switching between usb 2 and 3. Nothing seems to help. I can use an Xbox One controller with the same usb slot no problem. I've tried to use InputMapper and I had pretty much the same problem. Any ideas please?

Here's the site:
ds4windows.com

oh, sorry. Yeah laptop. Lenovo Ideapad P500
I haven't dropped it or anything so I don't know why the bluetooth settings suddenly disappeared. One day I was using it to connect my PS4 controller, next day it was no longer there.

ah if you were using something like scp + xboxstat then it makes it so that the ps3/4 controller is the only thing that can be used by the bluetooth thing.

ah, I did install SCP but I ended up using DS4Windows

that's probably it, I'll uninstall everything and reinstall BT drivers
thanks

I'm pretty sure if I buy a GTX 950, I'd need new everything else. Also I don't think it would fit right on my tiny case.

i instaled it. Didn't break my windows or anything.

softpedia is known for having a shit load of malware

Looks like roommate also installed this Pinnacle Game Profiler application, uninstalling it and restarting made the bluetooth settings reappear.

Don't do what you love for living, or you won't love it anymore.

" Candidates must have a visceral distaste for office politics and gossip."
what did the HR person on craigslist mean by this

I got a fan splitter like this for my computer. The fans I have all use a 3 pin connector so from what I understand, the fan speed is not controlled by the fan itself like with fans that have a 4 pin connector, but by the amount of electricity the motherboard gives it. So does this mean the two fans I have connected to it would be running at half speed because the electricity from one connection is being divided by two fans? When I go to the bios to adjust the fan settings, it seems like they run at full speed when I set it to full speed. I don't get how that's possible though. Am I missing something or do I have this totally wrong or what?

I want to try out windows 10 but I heard there were a lot of privacy concerns with it is there a guide somewhere to deleting/disabling that stuff after I update?

I had this issue with my previous Android phone and on multiple different routers.

Wifi works on and off. It's always connected and never show any error messages besides apps failing to load shit. Usually it's enough to just reconnect to the Wifi, but holy hell is this shit annoying.

How can I fix it?

I'm writing a shell script, how would I write a script that reads the first digit of a number but acts different if it's a two or three digit number?

something like
if [ "var" = "7**" ]
then
line
elif [var" = "7***" ]
then

if (number / 100 < 10 && number / 100 > -10)
// the number have 3 digits
if (number / 1000 < 10 && number / 1000 > -10)
// the number have 4 digits

If your numbers are always positive you don't need to check for >-10

Another way would be to check the lenght of the "string". With some languages you can do that easily

Where do I even get bash on ubuntu on windows?

Can you make leather from your own skin if you just peel off small pieces gradually and wait for it to heal? Or is it not practical to do this?

I guess that's not a bad option, at least cheaper than anything else.
I actually did get a IPS that people said was good but I feel the green is just slightly too high and things look better with it lowered a tick or two. I don't know if I am making a terrible mistake though.

I don't think peeling your skin is generally a good idea

How come my Windows clock suddenly thinks it's like 5 and a half hours earlier than it actually is? Did Microsoft's time server crap out or something?

best FOSS IRC client?

GUI=pidgin
pidginthemes.com/
CLI=irssi
dotshare.it/category/chat/irssi/

hexchat or weechat

know how to use screen or tmux if you're using weechat

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/IRC#Clients

Will I experience any bad side effects from synchronizing my computer clock to time.nist.gov instead of time.windows.com? The windows server has started acting strange, suddenly changing my clock to be wrong or refusing to connect.

Is it possible for mobile carriers to monitor your data over 3g?
If so can you provide sources as well?

I have been looking for one of these but I have no idea about how to make it work. I have found Soarer's converter and kmd3's, I think using both of them may work... if anyone of you have an idea, it will be welcomed.

I don't see why they couldn't if they wanted to. If they are transmitting the data for you then of course they can monitor it.

Well there are a lot of the same devices on one IP how can they tell who is who and who is doing what?

Hey /sqt/

I'm planning on doing some upgrades later this year and I want to know if everything will work out

Currently have a
>i3-4170
>Radeon HD 7850
>1680x1050 monitor
>EVGA 550w G2 psu

Want to go with
>R9 390
>1080p 60hz monitor

Do you think this setup will get me good quality gaymin at 1080p? Also, will my psu support the 390? I've heard its pretty power hungry

Should I bother with CORBA? Is there even any industry/application remotely popular that uses CORBA?

I would like that was so simple, it's not a AT connector and anyway I would need the Soarer's converter. I have actually some difficulty to find informations about the kmd3 wich I hope could help me to make that keyboard working.

my gtx 970 is bottleneck by my i3 4130t, should i get a 4690k or 4790k

>4790k

My laptop runs slow and in the task manager it shows the disk hitting 100% If I change it to an ssd will this fix it

What is the best free instant messaging app that doesn't require the association with a sim card?

And how do you convince normie friends to use it?

Why did janitor delete that thread about user shilling here and apologising for it?

My ISP is shit, giving me a horrible ping and much lower upload speed than advertised. They seem to give priority to pingtest.net tho, because whenevr I access it my connection comes good for about 1-5 mins. Is it possible to set something up to send a package to the site every minute or so, just so that Im constantly on that priority time?

Should I be this paranoid that I lost my personal USB at a library with my resume, which has my address, email and phone number on it? I know people are nice in Australia, but I'm just a really anxious guy. It had also had my waifu folder for shitposting.

What do you mean same IP? Like you're using a 3G hotspot with multiple devices? Then yeah they can't tell what traffic came through what device, only the hotspot you used.

If you're talking about your 3G device sharing IP with other 3G devices on the same carrier, it wouldn't really affect whether the carrier can track you since they track your data to you as a user, not based on some shared IP address scheme they might use. I mean otherwise how would they know how much you're using if you are on a metered plan for example?

How do I get better as a coder? Is there a lot of work for coders in general? Can they make enough money to live REALLY comfortably?

As long as nothing in there was outright illegal then I don't see why you would need to worry. Whatever random guy who finds it isn't going to give a shit, and even if they do they'd probably just try to return the thing to you.

Unless youre indian, RIP in piece

is there a pack of updates for pirated windows 7 without the telemetry?

Highly doubt, considering the "code" hype that Google and Facebook are encouraging. That starving people in various countries of Africa will be taught to code. And Coding is going to be a subject in school. The whole move is to make it look effortless and lower salaries even more. It's the same move that happened to people in Marketing and Sales.

Right now the top salaries in Apple are for Design.

If you are watching that with sound, she is actually farting in the video.

Maybe Sup Forums made me tinfoil hat user,but I still don't like the idea of strangers knowing this information. Other than that,I'm not sure what our loli laws are with Anime here.

I would have been happy not knowing that...

loli=cp in australia im afraid, my soon to be anally ravished friend.

I don't even understand why, in the first place, would you have loli on your phone. It's a literal tracking device. In my country loli is not illegal per se, but I don't see the fucking need. Are you going to masturbate publicly?

Design? Thought designers were seen as lowly scum compared to coders. Realistically, if you were a very good designer (which I would think it's rare), would you be able to make a decent living? Something to afford feeding a wife and wife's children?