MADE IN FINLAND NOKIA PHONES ARE COMING BACK WITH ANDROID

Nokia announced on Wednesday that a newly-established, independent firm called HMD will begin offering Nokia-branded basic and smartphones as well as tablets. The new devices will be based on the Android operating system.

The new firm will be headed by former Nokia executive Arto Nummela. Since Nokia sold its phone business to Microsoft about two years ago, he's been overseeing their mobile business in Asia, the Middle East and Africa.

HMD Global is a new company formed in Finland specifically for the purpose of reconstituting local Nokia engineering and design talent by a long time Nokia exec. They could have easily gone to China and been "run of the mill" but they decided to stay in Finland.

Maami sauna

Finally... bombing third world countries with explosives just wasn't cutting it.

Why not make it with iOS instead?

BERGELE :DDD

Foxconn's participation in this is also interesting. Its subsidiary FIH Mobile is the company that today picked up the remnants of Nokia's former featurephone business from Microsoft for $350 million. HMD global and FIH already have a collaborative agreement in place "to support the building of a global business for Nokia-branded mobile phones and tablets." The Nokia N1 tablet was built by Foxconn in partnership with Nokia and the new HMD venture, while claiming independence, appears to be a formalization of that budding relationship.

Nokia who own a 50% stake in HMD, will have a seat on the board of directors at HMD global and it will furthermore "set mandatory brand requirements and performance related provisions." The outcome will be a new hardware company that has all the design expertise of Nokia and all the manufacturing acumen of Foxconn, via its FIH Mobile subsidiary. And this will all have to be integrated with Nokia's own push into wearable devices in the wake of its acquisition of Withings.

IS THIS REAL LIFE?

Mongol phones are so last decade.
Chink phones with shark SD cards are the fresh cool meme.

JUMALAUTA

yo soy tu padre

So, I guess we'll have the most bloated Android on the market. I'm 100% sure it will be nowhere near stock with those normie social apps.

>implying
>what is Foxconn?

Honestly even though it wouldn't be the same based Nokia as before im thinking about it just because the Nokia name itself is worth more than the actual phone.

Why would it be? Nokia doesn't have their maps or email service or online storage business anymore. It will be stock with maybe their awesome Z launcher as default launcher.

>it wouldn't be the same based Nokia as before

It will probably be better because Foxconn is involved and they get all the best hardware since they make the iPhone.

Don't forget it's also ex Nokia employees running this new company.

>Don't forget it's also ex Nokia employees running this new company.

Doesn't matter. they don't have their patents anymore and microsoft is sure as hell not going to hand it over to them

NOKIA
O
K
I
A

I can't wait for this. My Lumia 925 was easily the best feeling phone in terms of build quality I have ever owned, with a very bright screen and fairly good (for a 2013 model) camera.

If Nokia can bring out a phone with their legendary Finnish build quality, a great camera, great specs, and great battery life... it will be hard to beat.

I dunno if is enough to tempt me away from Nexus though. Xposed, easy root and not voiding the warranty to unlock the bootloader are pretty excellent perks.

So the world's first 5G phone is pretty much guaranteed to be a Nokia now since Nokia basically owns 5G.

Nokia didn't sell their patents to microsoft

>they don't have their patents anymore and microsoft is sure as hell not going to hand it over to them

ARE YOU A FUCKING IDIOT???? MICROSOFT DIDN'T BUY ANY OF NOKIA FUCKING PATENTS!!!!!

NOKIA STILL OWNS ALL THEIR FUCKING PATENTS!!!!!

the lumia phones are magnificent for their price

can't wait for the perkeles

PERKELE

T. Finnish person

Whatever POS it was i bought as a replacement for 3310, it was made in China and thus i took it back and have continued to use 3310 to this day.

have you beaten snake yet?

Your standards are low, therefore your opinion doesnt matter. I've yet to see a decent, so-called 'smart' phone, that is actually viable as a mobile phone as well.

you sound like a crazy person

>925

That's like made in india tier shit as nokia moved away from making their phones in finland

I wrote dozen similar games in the 80's to every non-PC platform, with different languages and was literally hooked on one my creations: thousands of hours with TAC-2 smoking.
Thats why i've never dared to even test the Snake.

>made in india
but the phones don't smell like shit

Using them feels like shit though.

So let me get this straight. Microsoft paid $7 Billion to buy Nokia's phone business to prevent them from making Android phones.

Microsoft then writes off the entire $7 Billion as a loss and then fires more than 90% of the employees they acquired.

Nokia then returns to the smartphone and tablet business with the fired employees by using Android.

So happy Nokia got the last laugh by taking $7 Billion from Microsoft to continue their Android smartphone and tablet business.

Mongols won.

>buying phones made by finnols

FUCKING

KEK

>his hands have never been graced by the divine presence of the N900

microsoft is just full of bad decisions

kekd

do we know when they will present a smartphone? I am curious if they plan on releasing a compact phone like the z5 compact

If these new phone and tablets are 100% made in the EU then I'll be sure to get them

Nokia-Microsoft partnership has been a colossal mistake from the very beginning.

you have never bought a nokia phone have you? Nokia used to be considered the best phone manufacturer in the world before samsung and blackberry came over, and now that they're back this could be a very exciting breath of fresh air into the market.

ANDROID WON

no it hasn't

the phones were great

all M$ had to do was to get Google to let them use their app store on Windows

>the phones were great
No they weren't.

WHAT THE FUCK NOKIA IS FINNISH???????

I thought they were Japanese my entire life

Yeah, as mentioned before they didn't get the patents. They didn't get the Nokia brand either. Nokia hq is still nokia, not microsoft. What did they even buy? Employees? They fired so many of them.

>tfw meego will never come back and we probably won't get a successor to the n9
I loved mine to death. The n9 was awesome.

>japanese

Nah, that' samsung. That's one thing to be glad of though, Japan is known to be one of the biggest supporters and backers of the NSA.

I hope you're joking lad

I mean the part where you said Samsung is a japanese company.

so it's south korean, big whoop, it still is a NSA backer.

>made in finland
Actually they will be made in Vietnam.

Who cares, nokia will NEVER ever comeback, its fucking over let it just die forever and stay dead.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT NOKIAS ANYMORE

>foxconn is the best because iPhones
Kek

>the phones were great
Why does everyone always say this with every startup brand that fails?

sounds like the Oracle/ sun acquisition but Nokia learned the lesson and Microsoft thought they could reinvent history

>NOKIA
YES
>Android
FUCK NO

This was my reaction too.

They should try to resurrect MeeGo or go and use Sailfish, since that was developed by the former Nokia employees and it can run Android.

they should have revived symbian

Symbian actually gives better battery life

E 90 SUCCESSOR WHEN

FINLAND
I
N
L
A
N
D

give me new n900 and i will be happy

No, he sounds like a sane person.

My Nexus 5 wasn't bad. The earpiece was a little quiet though. I've ordered a redmi 3 pro, hopefully it's got a better earpiece and microphone.

M A E M O
E
E
G
O

Why would you ever post such bait?

7 B I L L I O N

Is this the biggest cucking in history?!

Hyvaa huomenta

Based ebinland please save us from the shitshow that current smartphones are

Dear god why wouldn't they let it die..

Could we see
> maemo
> meego
> sailfish
on a large scale after the production has started with android?

Oh, so the people laid off by MS went back to nokia?

>he was actually serious

>nokia
>with android
>made in Finland

it can't hit the market soon enough

Pajeet CEO will ruin it all. You heard it here first.

Excellent news. :DDDD

What makes you think Nokia will be relevant again? They died with the advent of smartphones.

They should revive MeeGo, not that lagroid overweight crap.

My first three mobile phones were Nokia, 5110, 3310 and the N70.
If they bring out an Android Nokia I will be queuing up to buy it like an applefag at the latest iShit release.

Hopefully this will have a better run than Jolla.

POST YFW MASTER CUCCKER GOT CUCCKED!!!

benis :DDDDDD

why not maemo or meego or tizen or whatever the fuck it is

There is no place for a second OS in the phone market. Too much saturation.

t.butthurt iphone user

>made in Finland

judging by the current events, the majority of the products will be made in chinkland,vietnam..etc.

however, i am really happy that the brand has come back. I am currently using sony but i would be more than pleased to return home to nokia. I am especially curious about new feature phones because android sometimes feels too much for my phone needs. a qwerty phone with a good mail client and 3 inch or more screen which can run popular messaging apps is enough for me. i basically want a modern blackberry bold with a lighter, more simple OS.

I've decided, my next phone will be a Nokia (after two non-Nokia phones)

Most Nokia phones were not made in Finland for quite a while. Most were assembled in Hungary and such cheap countries from cheap chinese components. Some electronics and maintenance work was done in Finland, but very few models were made there in the later days of Nokia.

>be Nokia
>realize you can't do the smartphone thing
>sell your phone production to M$
>use the money to improve your other branches
>Microsoft's shit excuse for a phone OS sucks, nobody wants Windows phones
>Nokia now has made significant progress in 5G infrastructure research
The ice is thin around the Finns

>japanese
>samsung

please come back, Nokia. You fucked up, but we need you to save us from the generic bullshit Samsung is feeding the world

>touch screen flip phones (two 5 inch screens)
>phones with slide out QWERTY keyboards
>round smartphones (5 inch diameter)
>phone with a screen that goes around the phone (like the samsung S6 edge)
Can't wait for all the crazy shit we'll get to see

>The ice is thin around the Finns

Best rhyme ever.

Pajeet CEO literally saved he company

>The new devices will be based on the Android operating system.

Took them 10 years to make an obvious decision.

Hope there will finally be free smartphones...

Did someone mention
>panu