Why the HELL is Sup Forums so obsessed with Linux? I tried it out and it's fucking stupid...

Why the HELL is Sup Forums so obsessed with Linux? I tried it out and it's fucking stupid. You have to memorize a bunch of archaic commands and type them all in the right order just to get anything done, like some sort of secret club handshake. Here's an idea, follow the lead of other operating systems and let us click on things and not read big walls of text!

Other urls found in this thread:

jetbrains.com/rider/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>$0.10 have been deposited into your Microsoft account

guaranteed replies

Summer really is upon us

>Internet Arguments
niceme.me

Install Gentoo or go to Reddit, retard.

How does your browser look like that if you are running windows?

>$0.00 have been deposited into your Linux account

>tech-illiteracy

>You have to memorize a bunch of archaic commands and type them all in the right order just to get anything done, like some sort of secret club handshake.
On Windows you have to memorize a bunch of maze-like menus to get anything done. Have you ever tried enabling IIS? Who the fuck thought that was an acceptable process?

then why did Windows add BASH?

0/10

At least use a ubuntu screenshot for more effective trolling

GOOD FUCKING QUESTION
Now there's even less reason for Linux tards to exist

>please drink a verification can to continue

maybe it's because windows is built on a base of obsolete software that, instead of fixing (to maintain "compatibility" for all the corporate dicks they suck), they'd rather pile on new layer after layer of bullshit and token features that look smooth on the surface but are supported by a truly horrendous mountain of shit

instead of owning up to their mistakes and fixing their bullshit they'd rather just throw Bash on the pile of shit (it's not like cygwin hasn't existed since 1995) and pretend like they're "hip" to this new world where you can have a better OS for a grand total of $0

microsoft has no future. enjoy using your shitty OS and turning into the grumpy old man who won't change with the times

> follow the lead of other operating systems and let us click on things and not read big walls of text!

or you can just avoid linux if you want a simple point and click os.

Wincuck here with a few questions:

Why does everyone go on about how you need to use the command line to use Linux? I've seen plenty of screenshots of Linux graphical desktops, in what way is it so different from Windows that you have to use the command line for everything? Does Linux not have a graphical file manager like Windows Explorer?

Fuck off and learn how to use a computer Pajeet.

There is.
OP has just been let out from high school for the summer and decided to use his computer illiteracy to try this "trolling" thing he's heard about on Tosh.0

>opera
>win10
>folder called internet arguments
>doom

no reason to read OP, it's pretty obvious he is severely impaired

Because it makes them feel smarter than and above Windows users. The reality is that a Windows developer will be 10x more productive than a Linux one because the Windows one doesn't have to do a bunch of jumping through hoops to install things an do shit.

I would rather be using a modern operating system built by professional developers in the industry that is also on top of obsolete software that is built by professional developers in the industry.

Fuck off and go use your hobbyist created freeware bullshit, tard. meanwhile I'll be over here enjoying my industry software.

go home pajeet, shoo, shoo

I know, this is why there's so much more Windows programs

This is your average Sup Forums Linux user everyone.
When confronted with hard facts about how their operating system of choice is shit, they will start screaming and yelling about how big of a memer and troll you are, because they don't want to accept that all the horrible pain and tears that went into configuring their "advanced" operating system was ultimately fruitless because in the end their OS is still inferior to the very one they tried to escape from.

Good fucking work Linux fags. Good work indeed.

>YAH BUT HOW DO I RUN GAMES ON LINUX

Agreed, and when the UI inevitably fucks up, diagnosing the issue can be a nightmare on Windows. Generally it's easier on Windows to restore a full system image than to try any troubleshooting.

>the Windows one doesn't have to do a bunch of jumping through hoops to install things

apt-get install program vs. search online for your program, wade through shady download sites, download an executable file and run it (!!!), carefully read every screen because it tries to install adware along with your program because shekels. Oh and then you get to do all this again for each of your programs to get the latest version instead of just apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

>Muh commands
either copy pasta or he took the gentoo meme seriously. I'm not retarded and figured out the commands, but if you need a GUI, install Ubuntu GNU/Linux.

If you researched at all, you would know that it's called GNU/Linux, not Linux. Linux is the kernel.

All those commands you type are GNU.

>being this retarded

why are you still here, you want money or what

You're a dumbass.
Do you seriously think that gaming is the only thing you lose by switching to Linux? Holy shit dude, you must have not done any work with industry standard software on Windows. Otherwise you'd realize too what you lose and miss out on.

Why the Hell would you rather use freeware created by hobbyist dipshits sharing in a hipster ideology instead of using a robust and advanced software with more features?

Freeware is always going to pale in comparison to that which is paid, because that is how basic economics works.

If you do not know what I mean, then you need to not type a reply to me. You instead need to go read on how the economy works, how products work, and how competition works as well.

OH HEY LOOK I CAN WORK WITH C# MOMMY

because most of those robust and advanced features are just things designed to ensure that you have to keep using (and paying money for) the software instead of switching to a competing product or to free software. Proprietary companies devote more effort to locking you in than to implementing better functionality, because once you are locked in, they can just sit back and rake in money from you because they've made it too difficult to leave. Who would want to get involved in that?

C# works on Linux too you dolt.
I'm not talking about that.

Why would you abandon for example, Adobe Photoshop, to work with a freeware alternative made and maintained by a hobbyist such as Gimp? And that's just one example! Why would you abandon industry standard software used by professionals only to resort to using inferior tools?

It doesn't make any sense to me. This is why I genuinely believe that anyone using Linux as their primary desktop or for anything that isn't a server is just a fucking dumbass hipster moron.

No one I have asked this question to has ever been able to answer this. I've also asked it to all of my retarded Linux babby friends too, and they have no answer.

Do you?

Just use the software that you're most productive on. windows for msword and other proprietary things, linux for everything else. That's just what's best for me. Jesus christ you aspie fucks, get over it and stop being this retarded. it's like I'm on a Sup Forums thread or something.

>industry standard

What industry?

>Industry standard software
Like you use any. Your desktop is filled with video games.

>Freeware
You're confused. This is Free software not freeware
>Hobbyist
Commits are pushed by professionals every single day. GNU/Linux is regularly audited by security pros.

>Freeware sucks compared to paid software
Free Software* Compare the GNU coreutils to that of Berkley or UNIX utilities.

Also take at look at RHEL and Debian's use in servers.

Some more examples, friend.
>uTorrent
-Ads
-Bitcoin miner
-Non-Free
-Pay4adRemoval

>Deluge
-Free as in freedom
-Free as in cost
-No bitcoin miner
-No ads

>Windows
>ever
comfy shitposter with fast free software

I'm sure this is why Windows has the best developer tools and the latest version of the hottest programming tools. It's always the first to get support for new platforms and libraries!

And good libraries and software platforms always come from big enterprises.

No good software runs on a Linux. That's why Redis only supports Windows, Node.js came out first on Windows, and developers prefer windows notebooks.

You're so right user, thanks for opening my eyes.

>because most of those robust and advanced features are just things designed to ensure that you have to keep using (and paying money for)

This is literally the worst argument I've ever heard on this.

>"Hey why did you buy that car? The one with the advanced airbag and things that make it perform more effectively and safer?"
>"Don't you know those features are only there because they want to lock you into keeping it? Why didn't you just use this cheap shitty junker over here?"

This is fucking insane dude. Come on now.

Hi smart guy,

You're 100% correct. Everyone develops enterprise software on windows or mac. However, you're on Sup Forums right now. The level of satire is removed from reality at least 5x. Now that you've made your smart comment of the day, enjoy this picture

It does though.

Shit dude, here - jetbrains.com/rider/ This is JetBrains' new C# IDE.

It's not even out on Linux yet. It's only out on Mac and Windows.

Linux is not for everyone.

i remember this

>Adobe Photoshop
It works under wine. The easier front end for people who don't want to pay is PlayOnLinux (it applies to things other than muh gaymz). For business users there's crossover - a paid option that offers support when certain programs don't behave as expected.

But i already have an IDE

Terminology is irrelevant. My points still remain.

And also, do not take exceptions to this general rule and then try to say that it counts for everything.

UTorrent does suck. Deluge is better. Shit I even uninstalled UTorrent for Deluge myself. But does that mean that free software is always better than paid software just because this one paid application over here is worse than the free one? That's retarded logic to use. The majority of paid software is better than free software. You have no way of arguing against that because it is simply the truth.

Use linux on servers. Use windows/osx for normal user interaction and use SSH to manage linux server.

That's how everyone that isn't a retard use linux. Anyone else is an extremist and you should disregard their opinion.

Fallacy of analogy. Just because scenarios share property 'X' does not imply they share property 'Y'.

Congratulations user, you've said nothing.

>C# tool
Wow, I'm impressed! The thing I love about C# is the rich community -- there are so many developer groups providing rich libraries for it! I can manage services, and schedule massively parallel tasks with simple libraries. It's really great. It's not like 99% of C# tools come from one company.

>GIMP is bad
It's not though. It's just as effective as photoshop once you learn it.

t. Tit Enhancer

Oh you're right - Yeah, running the software through a buggy simulator. The is exactly the same as the software being released on Linux and receiving full support. Mhm.

>C#
Really? Why would you use C# over anything? I'm not even trying to piss you off, I really want to know why on earth someone would choose C# over literally any other language.

I am using it as an example.

Christ almighty, would you like to quit being a contradictory passive aggressive sarcastic pussy and just address the point itself? It's getting tiresome. If you don't provide a real argument in the next post I'll just ignore you.

the thing with GIMP and PS is that their interfaces are both so complex, and both so jarringly different, that everyone who uses one or the other gets baby-duck syndrome over it.

>The majority of paid software is better than the FOSS alternative.

Name one.
MS-Office -> Libreoffice
Photoshop -> GIMP
Notepad++ -> Emacs
f.lux -> Redshift
To name a few.

what are you trying to prove here? you want everyone to install windows and eradicate linux entirely?

I used Project Rider as an example of a commercial product being created without Linux even being in the spotlight, but Windows and Mac being the first ones to receive support for it.

Are you also a Javafag? Would you like me to put up some arguments about how Java lacks alot of features that other languages have? And how the JVM is a piece of shit? Will that make you even more in denial?

>that's how everyone that isn't a retard use linux.
>that isn't a retard use linux
>use linux
I will use Linux thank you very much.

I'm not trying to make anyone install anything. I'm just tired of listening to these pro-Linux retards who try to sit here and act like they're somehow better than everyone else for using shitty free software alternatives to paid software.

So far I'm right too: No one has provided me any real reasons why I should use a free software alternative made by a hobbyist to an industry standard paid product created and maintained by professionals.

>simulator
WINE isn't a simulator. WINE Is Not an Emulator.

A C# tool isn't a **compelling** example. Of course there are tools that support Windows and not Linux. That doesn't make me want to use Windows, because those tools aren't valuable to me. If you want it, fine, take it. But I am not alone in my valuation, and you're foolish to ignore that. The future doesn't need Windows.

Windows developers have a major case of Stockholm syndrome.

>buggy simulator.
Several versions of photoshop run flawlessly under Wine. Which do you prefer?

Nah, Gimp was just garbage. I haven't used it recently, but when I did, you couldn't even separate the RGB channels.

>industry standard software

Which industry? This is only relevant if you're working in a specific job anyway. You use the tools that enable you to complete the tasks you want, and sometimes that tool is a Linux desktop. The lines are not as clear-cut as you think.

Protip: guess which animation company is a RHEL desktop user... I'll give you a clue, it's related to Steve Jobs in some way.

Could have built it in C++....

Again, I'm not talking about Photoshop, or any program in particular. I'm talking about in general.

I know we're in a troll thread, but I've never agreed with a post here more than this.

Fuck IIS. Fuck IIS to death. Fuck everybody who let that ship, their families, and their dogs. People wonder why we make fun of Windows and Microsoft products, and it's because shit like IIS exists.

>Buggy simulator
This is how i know you're just spewing FUD. You talk about software which you know absolutely nothing about. WINE Converts windows system calls to GNU/Linux system calls. If you had skewed over the FAQ for 15 minutes you would know this information.

You're a moron. You can talk "in general", you have to talk specific cases. People do not do everything on their computer, edit images for a living, write books, design products, program... There's no point talking about "industry standard" software unless you specify the industry. Linux excels in some areas, Windows excels in others.

Free software is full of paid engineers working full-time on software. Just because you can use it for free does not mean somebody hasn't spent a lot of money developing it.

holy fucking shit bro, keep in mind that there's a board for my little pony. think about that for a second. people have aspergers syndrome. use the software that works for you, get over it and stop taking retards so seriously. i use linux but i'm not about to tell you why i prefer it over windows because you probably don't care. you shouldn't care because it's my goddamn computer. run whatever the hell you want, i don't care. whatever is easiest for you, use it and mind your own business. so simple.

The only thing one really "needs" Windows for is CAD/CAM software.

>node.js
>good

Why do all these people bitch about Linux users? I don't think most Linux users give a damn if you use Linux.

If you want to strap digital handcuffs on yourself and use a far inferior operating system go right ahead.

clojurescript targeting it is pretty comfy.

People who can't use the terminal in linux are incapable of learning (read: stupid).

It's not hard at all.

I can understand someone who don't care about computers not bothering with it, but if you claim to be into "technology" then it should be easy as fuck for you to manage the fucking terminal.

The average user prefers GUI over the terminal, which is fine, but tech savvy people should have no problems whatsoever using a terminal. It's literal childsplay.

Industry standard software like Davinci Resolve, Lightworks, R, Mathematica, IntelliJ, and Eclipse?

Adobe CS isn't the only software under the sun, you fucking dolt. You're touting products from the same retards that brought you such secure, performant products like Flash as the do-all-end-all in professional software.

Linux does a lot of things right, windows does a lot of things right.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Linux has the weakness that you need over 50IQ to use it, which leaves a lot people out.

It's because when someone posts they use Windows here, about 50 people reply with snarky ass head up their ass bullshit. It's fucking dumb.

Good luck being hired for anything that doesn't use your retarded meme OS then nigger.

You say that as if you don't have to do the same shit in linux as well.

Not everything is available through apt-get.

And there it is.
>"lol im so smart xD i use linux lol xD ebin exd lol i use da linxu lol xDDDDD"
Kill yourself.

Linux is literally a fucking OS fedora. It's like me saying
>hey you're christian(you use windows?) well I'm an atheist(I use Linux)so I'm smarter than you lol. -tips fedora- (-opens terminal-)

What about software that isn't available through apt-get though? You realize that if you can't get it through fucking apt-get, you have to find what repository it is available under, open up the sources list, put it in, do apt-get update, and then do the install command again? That's about like 5 more minutes than it would have taken under Windows where all you would have had to do was just find the installer and download and install it.

What's not available? On ubuntu based systems you can add a launchpad PPA and be done. Plus there is a significant risk factor from installing a .deb vs running a .exe

Name one program you've had a problem finding. One. So i know you're speaking from experience and not FUD.

Really? Because everything I've ever needed and much else besides is.

Hey faggot, you still didn't address that an appreciable amount of professional software is available on Linux.

You're not a fedoralord for being right. Linux definitely isn't doesn't have name recognition and occasionally requires to actually understand what you're doing, as opposed to watching Pajeet drag out some video on an ultra obtuse process that Microsoft thought was "intuitive".

I'd rather take the five minutes now than five minutes every fucking time I need to update the program.

>find the installer and download
You can do the same in Linux. In the case of debian-based systems you download a .deb file (similar to a .exe installer) and install it.

I don't understand how idiot Windows users can't get it through their heads that they are literally corporate shills for defending Windows. You are helping put money into Satya Nadella's pockets. Just shut the fuck up and use your overpriced shit OS. Please.

i couldn't find call of duty mw3 on apt-get, or ms word. your move lincuck.

Look, man. Allow me to explain it to you, heart to heart, window to window.

Ever since I was a kid, I used and loved Windows. I like Windows a lot. I love its name. Its system. The way it handles everything feels incredibly natural to me.

Even after being on Sup Forums for as long as I have been, and trying Linux out for myself, I still think I have very few reasons to switch. But I have identified plenty of reasons an average Sup Forums user would.

Point one: Privacy. Sup Forums as a whole has always been very protective of the idea of complete anonymity and total freedom. Most attempts to undermine such have been laced with backlash from the users.

Microsoft has a history of issues revolving around privacy and the free market, dating back to the Internet Explorer crisis and beyond. Especially after the Snowden leaks and Windows 10's purported cowtowing to PRISM, people here have come to distrust Microsoft, for various reasons unique to each one of them.

Point two: Validation. Linux is "cool." Its a relatively new, small thing that offers a lot of appealing traits that could entice even the staunchest of Windows or OSX users to give it a look. It's minimal. Its customizable. And it IS quite fast. And most of all, it costs nothing but the hard drive space it sits on. Some people can take the loss of Office or AutoCAD for that.

Point three: Ideology. A lot of people here dont like the way Windows is distributed and handled. They want software to be free and edited by people like them. Naturally, as people are, they migrate to a system that befits their ideology whenever possible. That being Linux.

Point four: Necessity (or the lack of it). If you want to work with servers, chances are youre gonna need to learn Linux. Alternatively, some people hold jobs that dont require the features available to them with Windows software - or, they need something Windows isn't quite as good at.

In any case, use what you please. Be cool about it. That goes for people of both camps.

gr8 b8 m8

>wade through shady download sites
Why aren't you just getting it from the developer website, retard?

If that is too hard for you just use ninite or chocolatey. What the hell do you do on Linux when something isn't available with the default repos?

Here's your fucking savior, Windows users. You made this guy a fucking billionaire.

> just type "sudo apt-get ______"

> what is this? this isn't the app store? I need an adult

>industry
like powering up that new CNC mill your employer just purchased (7 digit dollar price tag) and the first thing you see on screen is sys5 init messages. windows is used when it doesn't matter much if it crashes, the only thing it excels in is desktop market share.

>MW3

Go back to Sup Forums. This is about software you actually need to work.

>Office

Install WINE and run the disc, like you would have to do with Windows, you fucking mongoloid.

I'd go with 3 and 4. I have Linux servers and have started using on the desktop as well. Everything integrates nicely because it's all Linux. I haven't had any major issues with programs either. Wine works pretty well in combination with POL.

Notepad++ isn't paid software, it's free as in free speech. You'd be better of using TextPad as your example of a paid text editor, although even that has a full-featured demo with no time limit.

>What the hell do you do on Linux when something isn't available with the default repos?
see and

I can call you a corporate shill for using the brand of hardware you use, the brand of car you use, shit, I can call you a corporate shill for just about anything you use.

Not an argument.

> Linux is "cool." Its a relatively new
>relatively new
Are you retarded, it came before Windows 3.1...