/cpug/ CPU general

wanna chat about processors and proclaim the sandy bridge master race? you came to the right place.

also sandy bridge is best bridge besides ivy.

>2500k master race

Other urls found in this thread:

pccasegear.com/products/33174/gigabyte-ga-b150m-d3h-motherboard
pccasegear.com/products/34543/intel-core-i3-6100t
pccasegear.com/products/25136/asrock-970-pro3-r2-0-motherboard
pccasegear.com/products/21807/amd-fx-8320-8-core-black-edition-processor
pccasegear.com/products/33771/intel-core-i3-6100
anandtech.com/bench/product/288?vs=1645
techspot.com/review/1173-doom-benchmarks/page5.html
techspot.com/review/1128-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-benchmarks/page5.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>sandy bridge is best
Idk man, I'm pretty comfy on my lynnfield.

>lynnfield is best

Pretty toasty on my Prescott.

still got my 2700k, have no reason to upgrade whatsoever

Penryn is GOAT

6600k master race reporting in

>tfw i5-2520m

It's still sandybridge at least.

How would you rate the I5-4460 in overall performance?

2500k master race reporting in

3770k reporting in

CPUG? Don't mind me here, boys, just rolling on an outdated AMD FX-4300. Surprisingly enough, combined with my 390, Witcher 3 and other stuff does perfectly fine at 1080, and 1440. I used to to encoding for video files but that isn't an issue anymore. Overall a nice buy for only $80.

disappointment/10

Not my CPU-Z, but similar stats since I am well away from home. Not that anybody cares.

Pretty good.

I can smoke your score on my 3770k. Do you run passmark at stock speed?

That's low voltage for that speed on that CPU. Thats like Intel level voltage for that frequency. Whoever's CPUZ that is won the silicon lottery.

Looks like a slight OC, it's scoring 20% over the 5820k in single core. It should be ~5-15% faster at stock, not 20%. Though he could just have particularly good cooling allowing for a higher turbo clock or something I suppose.

4.3ghz on 1.02v is pretty neat imho.
Ivy-E best bridge.

Thanks for the good information. I never went past Z77 and 3770k and ::Pulls out e-peen:: I was on the top 20 passmark list for most of 2012 and 2013 but couldn't compete with 4960X or anything like that. I need to study up on the new over clocking techniques because the next Extreme series is looking nice. Anyways, thanks again and I wish you a good evening

Yeah man you also undoubtedly won the silicon lottery. Top 5% of Ivy-E easy

I don't recall my voltage because I have been away from all that kind of thing for some time. Whoever this is is a good bit more lucky than I am, but mine isn't very bad at all. I have actually come to appreciate this little monster. It does what I need it to and well. No complaints really, but I did a lot of research to get it to work.

Will see if I have my CPUZ log on my external or something. I'm curious now how I compare.

If you can hit 5GHz+ under 1.45 on AMD that's fucking outstanding. Either way, I am sure you also have an excellent chip

no

Just a daily reminder that every 4790K reaches 4.7Ghz with 1.3v

>tfw sandy vagina wasn't even that much better than lynnfield

I7 870 master race here, 4.2ghz.

>rounding 1.373 to 1.3

And by the power of shitty math, my 6700k is now running 4.5GHz @ 1.2v

>not using a 22 core 2699v4

Is there any point in having 6 or more cores if I'm not editing or rich? Talking about the higher end Intel CPUs, not the 6300 etc.

No.

Buy an i3 6100 or a10 7870k. They're both fine for games, i3 is better performing, but apu is better value (cheaper and better igpu).

upgrading to this soon

this FX6100 has done well though.

Fx 83xx would be a cheaper upgrade and offering similar performance though?

Unless you want to move to ddr4.

Uh it's being compared against trash though. Not saying yours is but the comparison isn't very informative.

Thats because its the trial edition, it chooses shitty ones for a reason. Just go look up whatever processor you want.

>18% faster than an Ivy bridge laptop processor
What the fuck

2500k rep

4 core laptop still scores better than 8150

Go run cpumark faggot, and rep that vag good

i've already got DDR4 that's the only real reason and ive saved 35 watts its not really a big jump

i'd think zen is better though.
but i kinda had to go to 1151 because the AM3+ socket is almost was non existent and not even being sold in my country with any varitty besides i need a light green build so its not really for the brands more for Colours -'n-sheit all thanks to intel shills

Honestly both companies have done great service to me over the years so I don't feel like
needing to tell everyone every five minutes.

in regradrs to to 8XXX series 125 watts was too much of a burden because i have 4 pC and 8 phones a console and TV to pay power too

But i'll get a APU in a new Laptop next year
I tested a caizo ACER in the shop today and blown away all the i5 U based machines out of the water well worth the 800NZD

I'm not a big fan of intel moblie chips in all honesty
needing a GPU and CPU in a laptop seems pointless now that we have eGPU's out.

fan bois on their "gaming laptops" freaked out about eGPU's lel.

so yeah AMD is not over for me but in my desktop it is for now.

1231v3
v

Core 2 quad master race

Who part of the club?

>tfw fell for the Skylake i3 meme

>tfw it runs at 55C

>tfw you lost on the silicon lottery, vcore won't lower than 1.04V

Oops, my dumb ass forgot the pic

A friend offered me a GTX980 for $250, what CPU should I get to compliment it?
> Devil's Canyon
> Knight's Landing
Intel is really good at picking out cool names

Damn that's unlucky

Yep, just my luck.

This is why I never buy unlocked CPUs, I'd get a shit chip that would need 300 mV more to get 300 Mhz more.

Yes, and faster than a first gen i7.

And 18% slower than an i5 6600k.

An i3 6100 should offer plenty performance and isn't too expensive.

It's as fast as an i5 6400, so if you want 4 cores you should grab an i5 6500 at the minimum.

Skylake i3s support ECC memory though, nice for making a cheapo file server

3570k reporting in
I didn't win the silicon lottery, but I don't think I quite lost either.

how cool does that thing run? i bet it doesn't even break 70 on full load with the stock cooler

Didn't wanna shit up a thread but I was looking at dropping around $300 to $350 (AUD) on a new CPU and Mobo for vidya (Overwatch), video editing and maybe converting chink toons for lower end devices.
I'm stuck between
pccasegear.com/products/33174/gigabyte-ga-b150m-d3h-motherboard
and pccasegear.com/products/34543/intel-core-i3-6100t or
pccasegear.com/products/25136/asrock-970-pro3-r2-0-motherboard
and
pccasegear.com/products/21807/amd-fx-8320-8-core-black-edition-processor

I've had a 270x I got for cheaps lying around for a while to pair it with

However I'm leaning pretty hard towards the FX for the coars and it not having i3 written on it and I don't give a shit about noise and if I wanna play PS2 games then I'll walk down to cash converters and pay the $10 for one

Would I be fucking up?
Should I look into an older i5 or i7?
Ivy? Sandy?

*shit up the board with a thread

6600k here

>tfw not the good 6600k

For vidya, an i3 is better. For video editing, the 8350 is better, but you're not going to get exactly stellar performance in games with 270x anyway. But there's no reason to get the low-powered version of the i3 for your use-case, consider pccasegear.com/products/33771/intel-core-i3-6100 instead. 30 AUD cheaper and comes with higher clocks.

>besides ivy.
ivy bridge with its poorly-interfaced heat spreader?

3930k space heater reporting in

Oh alright, I thought the pricier one was faster

What makes the i3 better in games?
Is it just the lack of utilization of all the cores?

I've been chugging along with povo rigs taken from work and this is going to be me finally buying myself something nice and I really don't feel like an i3 is something nice
Is an i3 really going to beat an older, say, Sandy i5?
Should I get a second hand intel?

Increase your voltage a bit and you should be able to run it at 4,5 GHz easily.

Athlon 64 master race reporting in.

2500k master race , bottlenecking a 980ti in doom

3770k Master race reporting in.

Get the fuck out of here, my friends 8350 beats the shit out of my 2500k in every game released this year

>Is it just the lack of utilization of all the cores?
Most games, even ones that DO use all the cores, put the heaviest load on a single-core because DX11 is bad at multithreading. This'll probably change when more games start using DX12 and Vulcan, but since DX12 requires Windows 10, don't expect many games to fully take advantage of it for a long while.

>Is an i3 really going to beat an older, say, Sandy i5?
I can't be bothered to look up proper benchmarks, but anandtech.com/bench/product/288?vs=1645 should give you some indication(the i3 isn't the same one I linked, but it's clocked almost the same, so it should also perform the same). People may deride the 5-10% IPC improvement per generation intel makes these days, but across multiple generations they do add up. If you get a sandy bridge or ivy bridge i5 and overclock it enough, I'm sure you'll match or beat the i3-6100 even in single-threaded benchmarks. But you'll be stuck with an aging MOBO that doesn't have all the features of new chipsets like USB 3.0 support and is only going to get harder to find decent replacements for. I'm not entirely sure the performance justifies all the downsides if you go as far back as sandy bridge or ivy bridge.

Yeah no, DOOM and tomb raider use the 8350 cores just fine (can use every gpu with no bottleneck) and it's more future proof than a shitty i3 , whatever you do don't fall for the i3 is better than a FX bullshit

>What makes the i3 better in games?
>Is it just the lack of utilization of all the cores?
Part that and part AMD having horrible single-thread performance. Most games are designed to spread some of the workload across 2-4 cores now but rendering is mostly limited to single thread still, unless the game uses dx12 or vulkan.

If you've got a second-hand hookup you can trust then an i5 or i7 from the sandy bridge era or later would serve well for a long time to come. Or if you don't want to OC, maybe keep an eye out for some xeon kit from an older workstation or server.

post clocks, i've got one lying around and need ideas on what to do with it

Stop spreading misinformation. All the games from the past 2 years use the cores just fine and in older games you still get 60fps. My fx 8350 utilisation in modern games is 50% meanwhile the i3 and older i5s struggle.

oldfags will remember when Sup Forums used to call it sandy vag

techspot.com/review/1173-doom-benchmarks/page5.html
techspot.com/review/1128-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-benchmarks/page5.html
Even clocked at 4.7GHz the 9590 only performs on par with or slightly better than the i3-6100.

Yeah same fps , but where is the cpu utilisation? Enjoy your bottle necked i3 when the cpu usage goes up.

Enjoy your bottlenecked 8350 in the million games that AREN'T great about using all the cores. Why would the CPU utilization go up unless you're doing a million things in the background?

2016 , all the games now can use multi cores really good. Enjoy your 100% cpu usage on the i3

I'm planning to buy a new pc and Im stuck between an i3 6100 and an i5 6500. I really want to spend the least amount of money but I also want to be able to play the latest titles in at least a playable framerate. Most suggestions I get says that I should get the i5 but I feel as though I'm wasting my money on the i5 when I would only use the pc for vidya and for other light tasks.
Most of the activity that I would perform on the computer is play games while watching a movie or playing Hearthstone.
Any thoughts?

i5 6500 has at most 25% performance increase over i3 6100. don't listen to idiots with buyers remorse

Define "playable framerates". And then look at If you try to play games while doing other things with the computer, your performance may suffer, but otherwise the i3 should work just fine, as long as you don't demand that the framerates never drop below 60.

Get the i5 if you don't want to be bottlenecked in a year

Fact:The snapdragon 800/801 is the 2500k of smartphones. Smartphones that run any of these processors probably won't have to be upgraded for a few more years before they feel sluggish.

Anyone disagree?

Disagree. Until smartphones match modern desktop performance there will continue to be software that has requirements exceeding the phone's capabilities.

But for the average person, even probably most of Sup Forums, they don't do very intensive things on their smartphones. The snapdragon 800 series will still work fine for internet browsing, social shit, streaming videos and music, etc. Maybe if someone plays a lot of games having the most powerful snapdragon would be very important.

Have a 3570k, planning on doing a new build with broadwell-e when it's out. Is this a bad idea? I'll be giving my old computer away so not doing a new build isn't really an option

CPU really hasn't been exciting for years, I'm holding out hope that Zen will be a worthwhile improvement

stop making every thread into a fucking general you idiot

ivy is best
sandy is a meme

I dont think you know really that much do you.

>mfw the integrated gpu on my i5 4690 isnt as bad as i remember
Huh

Why would you give it away could be worth at least $500

>2011
>old fags

user...n-no

I have a 3470, got it a few months ago, don't know if I should upgrade it or not. I only got it because I needed a CPU fast for a build, came across a 4460 for 50 bucks but I sold it because the performance increase was to small.

Forgot to mention that I have saved up $700 over the last two months, and have nothing to spend it on.

Glorious Netburst Master race reporting in

Core voltage doesn't report correctly for me. Its really at 1.35v.

That is still good m8

Is this CPU good?

I want it ;_;

Been looking to replace my 8320 with a 9590, thoughts?

Just oc your 8320. At that point a few extra mhz won't make much difference.

Why do you feel the need to upgrade? The 3470 is still a solid CPU, nothing wrong with it unless you're doing something more CPU intensive than just shitposting and gaming.

Its only like a ~$40 difference, I'd sell the 8320

plus ofc I'm oc both

You do know about es chips, right?