Is Arch Linux only useful for hobbyist stuff, or can I use it for actual work like I can Windows...

Is Arch Linux only useful for hobbyist stuff, or can I use it for actual work like I can Windows? From what I know of Debian, most of the packages on it are kind of outdated and it's centered around being as stable as humanly possible. Not really for personal desktop usage as much as it is server usage.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide
pastebin.com/sNCaWBiM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you get debian testing or unstable it's perfectly good for desktop use. Arch you can use for real work but it takes preexisting knowhow.

If you want a safe distro where you can learn about The Arch Way, you could try out manjaro

Also, for the future go to /flt/ or /fglt/ (it changes almost every week

>Is Arch Linux only useful for hobbyist stuff, or can I use it for actual work like I can Windows?

WHAT do you mean by actual work?

It's a Linux distro with rolling release packages. You can do whatever you want on it there's no distro only for working, only for gaming and then only for doing homework on.

twerks in my machine.

it sure lets you type. LaTeX works great, which up-to-date packages are nice for. ffmpeg sure works.

usecase matters.

I used Arch for about a month. I'd recommend it, it's a good distro. It's up there with Gentoo.

No, it's not lol

is arch good for a beginner? or should i stick to debian? ive heard that arch can break completely if theres a problem in a repo.

you and everyone else.

If you can follow a guide and type in pacman -S xorg gnome && reboot you'll be fine. It'll be a great learning experience. I would recommend partitioning beforehand, just because it's easier.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide

oh and I don't think the guide mentions
useradd -D username
that's pretty important

Well ok, let me ask you what I should have asked from the big get go: Is there one big great underlying guide that I can follow? A sort of Hitchhiker's Guide to Arch Linux if you will?

(I apologize for that retarded reference)

I don't know what the Hell that command does, but I'm assuming it downloads gnome and then reboots?

Also what's the best install guide? I couldn't figure out how to install Arch to an already existing partition.

>using arch loonix
>2016

I posted the install guide.

Instead of Arch you could try Antergos which basically does all the installing process of Arch for you.

That's never worked for me. The installer always fucks up.

>can I use it for actual work like I can Windows?

Different tools for different tasks, user. Would you use a hammer to install a screw?

pastebin.com/sNCaWBiM

>1gb boot
is this the year 3000

most hard drives are huge now days so who cares anyway?

at least you will have room if grub becomes bloated.

Arch isn't meant for real work, it's mostly for posting riced anime desktops and bragging about computer knowledge.

If you want to do work, either Windows or Ubuntu if you're adamant on Linux.