Does your place of residence have in-wall Ethernet cabling?

Does your place of residence have in-wall Ethernet cabling?

Other urls found in this thread:

microcenter.com/product/441426/EA9200-4A_AC3200_Tri-Band_Smart_Wi-Fi_Router
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, I did it myself.
House was built in the 60's.
Looks legit too, used those plastic staple things you nail to shit. Drop ceiling in the basement helped.

>Drop ceiling in the basement
That'd make my life so much easier. I have a house built in 61. There's alot of plaster.

Yea in a few areas I had to route it up through the attic, then down in the Chimney area into the basement.
I had wood paneling everywhere, so when I took it down to replace it with drywall I planned ahead for cable routing.

i want to run some in my place but the faggot cable monkeys put by fibre termination in the lounge so i have to run cat6 from the lounge to the comms cabinet then run it back from the switch to the lounge

probably replace a few of the power sockets with usb charger ones too

That's the more-fucked thing. For whatever reason they didn't slope the roof sufficiently to fit an attic. I have maybe 1ft of space that's mostly filled by insulation.

>2015
>wasting time installing copper based shit instead of future-proofing your house with fiber connections.

Why doe?

>implying fiber doesnt change just as much as copper

lrn2network fám

I did the cabling like 10 years ago...
I just wanted internet, wasn't thinking of fiber.
I also was gutting the whole house, so I was trying to be light on money.

You would then have to get media converters or nics/router/switch that support fiber. That's a big investment.

What's the point of fiber on such a small scale? Electricity travels almost as fast through copper as light does through fiber. Fiber's advantages come into play on large scales because it doesn't need repeaters/amplifiers like copper does.

Also comes into play in areas of high electromagnetic interference (i.e. power stations).

Got multi-mode fiber in the walls to all relevant rooms.

>almost as fast

>What's the point of fiber on such a small scale? Electricity travels almost as fast through copper as light does through fiber.

>Electricity
let's pretend you just said "signals"

speed of signal isn't directly related to bandwidth, but rather latency anyway.

So while fiber would indeed provide better latency (~speed of light vs. ~1/3 speed of light), it can more importantly fit a much greater amount of data/signal/information onto the line at a time.

The downside is need for optical modems (mode/demod) on both ends, which are much more bulky and expensive than copper's respective interfaces (for now)

No because I live in my parent's house and didn't have any input when they were building it

Why do we need to do all that when we have Wi-Fi and 4G?

Information transmitted by electricity travels at 50-99% the speeds of light. But I was mistaken, the information travels faster than the electrons because it behaves like a wave (ex: water doesn't actually move that much in waves, it just moves back and forth while the wave travels forward)

When I moved in to the current rental I was staying in I was ecstatic to find there was ethernet through the house then I went into the junction box to find a duplex receptacle in there which was just perfect for a modem/router then I finally saw the eithernet cables were all cut.
Since the house is reletively new I figured they didn't put connectors on them in the initial install or some shit internet company cut the cables because that's usually the type of bullshit they'd pull since most of the coax in the house was cut or uninstalled through the house.
The worse part is I couldn't fix it and the owners/rental company doesn't give a fuck about it to fix it.

u srs m9
i literally get 30mb/s faster internet on cable and im using one of

yes this is all correct. 1/3 was a bit of an exaggeration, I use it as a lower bound.

Complex line impedance also plays a part however, especially at infrastructure scales. Fiber does not suffer from complex impedance (only real - e.g. resistance/loss) whereas for a metal cable, each meter or mile added tacks on some capacitance and/or inductance which affects signal propagation.

Upgrade to 802.11ac, bro.

>tfw live in a house built in the 90s that is pretty modern in most regards, but doesn't have ethernet in the walls
Isn't it pretty easy to install? Like you just go into the Attic and drop the cable down where you want it, and then cut a hole in the drywall where the end of the cable is, then install the wall outlet?

yeah like what the fuck linksys, like the model number is 1900ac, you'd think it would support 1900ac, 1.3gb/s would work a treat

wtf is going on in here
are you all literally retarded or what

o shit it supports ac1300.. tha fuk, time to order a new adapter for the rig

Same here, but a more annoying process. House was built in '61, but no basement, vaulted ceilings, and on a slab, so there wasn't really an easy way to route the cables.

Ended up running the cables through the wall to a bathroom where the ceiling isn't vaulted, and then up to above the ceiling where I put a switch that everything is connected to. Ran coax while I was at it, so now all rooms are wired up well.

Why don't you just attach new heads to the cut cables, user?

Can't make any improvements to the rental, they could actually withhold the deposit over shit like that

I got microcenter.com/product/441426/EA9200-4A_AC3200_Tri-Band_Smart_Wi-Fi_Router

Dat good good 1.3Gbs works flawlessly.

Yes, it's a pretty easy process, and this is how you would do it (that, or if you're on a raised foundation, then it's even easier - you cut your hole in the drywall where you want it, then just drop the cable down into the crawl space - no need to fish for wires at all).

cut them back when you move

I don't even see how that's an improvement, though - it's not like you'd be cutting into the walls or running wires or anything - all that's already done.

Adding connectors wouldn't be noticeable at all, except that instead of cut cables at the junction box, there would be cables with RJ-45 heads. If you were that concerned, you could just cut them off when you moved out.

Even if I had a shitty landlord, I would just do it and not say anything.

I thought about that but with a 6 month lease it wasn't worth the effort knowing I was just going to get kicked out eventually

>Effort
It's as close to a no-effort deal as you can find. Putting connectors on would take maybe 10 minutes.

If you are just doing it on the top story of your home that is the way to go. My home was built in the 90s and for the first floor we routed everything from the attic. The issue is getting a line to the basement. Ended up running a cable through the bathroom when remodeling to get down a level to a patch panel. Invest in a pull rod it just makes the process so much faster. If you are not dropping $200+ on the project don't bother.

the limitation of fiber is just the magic boxes at the ends if you get good fiber

wifi has
>higher latency
>interference with buildings and walls
>not as reliable or secure as wired connections

But I'm free to move around.

>>interference with buildings and walls
to be fair, cables also have this issue
we just get around it with drills.

if you're some pleb that mainly uses a laptop and phone, sure
with cables you get attenuation and such, but that only happens on long runs or if you made your house out of leaky transformers

>with cables you get attenuation and such
I mean, it's generally easier to get wifi through a wall, than cable through a wall.
Without modifying said wall.

the way to get around that is to not rent or lease housing

No. Cabling is messy as fuck.

>spend thousands on an electrician to install cables that will be out dated in a few years

No, because I'm not a fucking retard

>thousands
500 ft rolls of cat 6 are usually 200ish shielded
120ish unshields
and they support 10Gbps

>cabling in walls
>messy
u wot
>being a man with no practical skills whatsoever
how does it feel to be a millennial cuck?

Oh and I suppose you guys do all the wiring in the walls yourselves then?

My house is made of concrete instead of cardboard so i would be impossible to route cables though it.

lol
yes i did. its just cable. there is nothing to it.
terminating is simple too.

yes, it's easy shit
with AC wiring I'd hire a electrician if I was building a house, just so if there's a fuck up it's not my fault
put up some conduit or put in a drop ceiling

You both wired up each of your entire respective houses? What is your day job?

network engineer/system administrator
I can terminate cat5 in my sleep

Ok, so you went home and did your job. You don't see plumbers brag about unclogging their toilets

it's seriously easy shit nigga, a few weekends at most
and doing shit yourself saves fucktons on labor

>spend an entire project running cable and putting up drywall so you can have an ethernet plug in the wall

Or, have your modem in the same location as your computer

But why do it at all? I mean if that's your equivalent to obsessing over your yard OK

>I hate millennials
>But I waste so much of my life on a website almost exclusively visited by millennials

Yeah, I helped put the ethernet cables through the attic.

House built sometime in the late 80s or early 90s, but it doesn't conform to any standards. Just this weekend I found out one of the outlets in my room had the hot and neutral wires switched while playing around with an outlet tester.

I guess, if you've only got one computer and live by yourself

>But why do it at all?
wired access in every room since I don't trust wifi

:^)

Have you tried not using a laptop?

u wot

Why would you ever need wifi unless you are dragging your laptop around the house with you all the time?

I don't move my laptop around often, when I do I've always got ethernet to use

When I was 15 I drilled a hole through my floor and feed it to the router under my house.

In Germany the walls are made of stone not dry wall

>putting up dry wall
And why would you need to do that?

I have a project pending to do this in a new concret house, i need to demolish the entire and redo the electrical system, its ll done but i still have to design the way i will route all the CAT6 wiring to a server room, usuallelectrical wiring goes like pick related, and i alreaydy know how i will do mine, hoewver i can barelly find information about how to do ths with cat6, im thinking horizontal near the floor but as i said i havent fond any info about this topic }(wiring ethernet on concrete)