/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

headphone.guru/a-diy-journey-project-1-that-first-cable/
headfonia.com/a-cable-not-rocket-science/
theheadphonelist.com/headphone-review-list/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I forgot to put the link to the previous thread in.

>Previous thread:

hd 598

sennshill

K612 and fiio E10k

So I tried to split my detachable headset (HyperX Cloud Core) into the headphone out port of my FiiO E10K and mic into my PC's mic-in front panel and I had a lot of noise and static.

I'm pretty sure it was an audio feedback issue.

With out the mic plugged in it's perfect and clean, no noise but of course I want to use my mic.

Anyone with this combo? What should I do? Should I just buy a USB mic?

Artist? I really like this

That fucking chasm

ew akg shitposter is back

consider pic related

i'm surprised they haven't dropped in price yet

I'm planning to buy the Sennheiser Urbanite for about 150$. Are they good or is there a better pair of headphones at around the same price?

Me too. OP please respond

Is it possible to pick headphones or EQ them according to the quality of your hearing? I'm pretty sure my hearing is bad, and a little different between the two ears. Any good way to test that?

I can't fit this type of cable anywhere, let anyone anything somewhat like what I want. I just bought NVX XPT100 and the cable comes out one from each can, running parallel and joining at the stereo jack. No idea what this type of cable is called. More so, I want to find one that has this 1 stereo to 2 mono setup and is coiled. Does this even exist?

Sorry for the shitty sentence structuring.

Hi guys.

I have a LIttledot MK1+, Music Streamer III DAC, and Grado 325e's.

I'm looking for a closed ear alternative for more bass heavy music. I love my Grado's for jazz, acoustic, or anything with a lot of mid-highs. They're severely lacking in the bass department though.

Any recs for $450 and under, that would pair nicely with the Littledot?

I'm liking my A900X. It's my first

i think you'd be better off asking on reddit or head-fi

What's the best portable mp3 player for under 100 bucks, that can also power somewhat higher impedance hedphones well?

What kind of jacks? Lots of stuff like that exists.

I'll try to be clear, but it really is convoluted to describe.
Dual mono male to single stereo male, coiled cable.

No, I understand that, but what size jacks plug into the cans? 2.5mm?

For example, I use mini XLRs.

Oh right.
All of them are 3.5mm.

I've returned my M50x since they're way too fucking expensive and uncomfortable and ordered myself HM9, which on sale for 80 bucks.

Did I do good?

I can't seem to find any 3.5mm to dual 3.5mm coiled. I think you'll have to make your own.

Any recommended guides/resources? It's either making my own or buying a splitter along with a coiled extension.

headphone.guru/a-diy-journey-project-1-that-first-cable/

and

headfonia.com/a-cable-not-rocket-science/

Is the AKG Y50 any good?
Any opinion is welcome.

they look cheap.
why not get k141 or k171 for on ears?

Looking for some new headphones, can anyone help me?

>Budget
70 GBP
>Location
UK - East midlands
>Source
Mobo 3.5 out
>Preferred type of headphone
full size, over or on ear
>Open or closed
dont mind
>Comfort level
comfy while wearing glasses
>Preferred music
rock & metal

What are some good microphones for gaming if I already own a good pair of headphones?
I have no clue where to look and the wiki doesn't really help here.
Price doesn't matter, but it should at least be better than the typical shitty headset microphone.

>microphones for gaming
You're just setting yourself up for shitposts by writing things like this. Audio is audio.

I'm guessing you mean something portable which clips on to the headphone, or do you mean something full size? Start there for better replies.

>Price doesn't matter
Again, setting yourself up. Someone is gonna recommend a $5K microphone. You could just get a Blue Yeti or something if you want full size as most people consider it a good balance of price and performance.

Yeah you're right, the topic makes me feel like a retard though because I have no idea where to look.
Blue Yeti might be a bit too much for what I need.
I'm currently looking at the ModMic 4.0 which seems to do the job.

I just need something that doesn't use too much space, doesn't sound like shit and I don't want my friends to hear the birds outside of my window.

theheadphonelist.com/headphone-review-list/

>Budget
600-800 SEK
>Location
Sweden
>Source
Sansa Clip
IEMs
>Comfort level
Preferably comfy, will be used in bed.
>Preferred tonal balance
Whatever works best for voices, neutral?
>Preferred music
Electronic.

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

>Budget
300 reais
>Location
Brazil
>Source
Ipod
any
>Open or closed
any
>Comfort level
any
>Preferred music
rock, shitty techno and classical

Sorry but I live in a shithole (Brazil) and those models are pretty expensive here.
I had a K452 that was okay to me.
It was stolen and now I need a cheaper one.
My options are Y40, Y50, HD 201, HD 202 II, PX100-IIi, XB450, some Audio Technica (ATH-S100, ATH-AX1IS, ATH-AX3, ATH-ANC25) and some older AKG ( K404, K414, K511, K518, K44).
I liked the Y50s because the detachable cable, but if any of those have a better quality, I won't mind.
I don't really care about how they look.
Except having too much treble, anything is fine.
Thanks for your help and sorry for the blogpost.

lmao

Oh, I forgot the JVC S400 and S650.

Se não se importar com usados de uma olhada nos classificados do HT Forum, os preços costumam ser mais justos e de tempos em tempos aparecem modelos bacanas a venda.
Se estiver disposto a gastar um pouco mais e não se incomodar com um fone neutro tendendo para o agudo tem um Sony Mdr V6 sendo vendido lá agora mesmo.
Esses portáteis da Akg não são grande coisa, uma alternativa portátil legal caso prefira comprar em loja é o Koss PortaPro.

>tfw waiting for massdrop to put up Fidelio x2's again

what's the price on massdrop?

K240

Supposedly last time they went up they were $200.

they're $234 on amazon right now. doesn't seem to be that much of a difference.

I have a $150 budget. First recommendation that is listed on amazon I will buy.

Audio Technica ATH-TAD500

>Audio Technica ATH-TAD500
I had the M50's before.. but they were 4/5 or so years old and were in a bit of a state by this point, leather had peeled off and such. How does the TD500 weight against it?

Or the TAD500 vs
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Headphones - 80 Ohm
or
ATH-MSR7BK

>How does the TD500 weight against it?
it's open and bass light, meme50 are closed and bass heavy.
TAD500's fidelity is better.

>Or the TAD500 vs Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Headphones - 80 Ohm
>or ATH-MSR7BK
i don't really like comparing open headphones to closed. you're going to find the same kind of bass on DT 770 as M50, but with a lot more treble.
MSR7 have a similar sound signature to TAD500 but with more neutral bass. they're also out of your budget.

I can stretch to the MSR7's...

But I might pull the trigger on the TAD500's anyway. Thank you user.

L2 arrived, damn, sounds good.

Best gym headphones setup?

Currently i am using westone adv, with standard westone cable and shure yellow foam eartips.

The adv cable fucks up as soon as it gets a little wet. I used to use westone 4rs but sweat got inside and killed them.

The shure cable is too heavy and too long. All the westone eartips are garbage. The comply tips are ok, but i prefer the shures. They dont last as long, but i got a big bag of them and replace every couple weeks.

How do you like those 7506's, little kiddo?

Depends on the day. Legs day I can usually keep my DAP in a jersey pocket (in the back) and my MA750s clip to the back collar. Mids and arms I sometimes use either an arm pouch with my DAP and the wire coiled up or a bluetooth wireless adapter clip to the wire like a necklace.

Hey guys. I'm this user from last thread. Sorry for taking so long to reply back, but are the 668b's comfortable? I'm going to be using these for home use and the metal frame thing on it doesn't look that comfortable.

Someone asked for my HD 800 EQ in a /bst/ thread. I might as well post it here, too:

Preamp: -6 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 18 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 0.7
Filter: ON PK Fc 45 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 0.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 50 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 170 Hz Gain 0 dB Q 0.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 550 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 0.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 1600 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 2900 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 4673 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 6
Filter: ON PK Fc 5600 Hz Gain -6.5 dB Q 3.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 6200 Hz Gain 4.5 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 6600 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 7200 Hz Gain -10.5 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 7800 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 9000 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 3

Do I need an amp for the Beyerdynamic DT990 32 ohms?

My source would be my audio interface,PC and my android phone.

I'm looking for monitor headphones that are easy to drive, I already have the M50 but I find it's soundstage lacking.

most likely not

I own the DT 880 and the HD 600 and I can say that the veil of the Sennheiser's is a meme.

I find the HD 600 to be even more detailed than the DT 880. The DT 880 have more pronounced highs, but that doesn't mean better detail, on the contrary, it hides the presence of the mids.

I have EQ set up kinda like pic related, but less HF attenuation since mine have the SD mod.

>Budget
150€
>Location
Bulgaria, can shop from UK and Germany using a freight forwarder
>Source
PC onboard soundcard
Fullsize, over ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
any
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
Brainwavz HM5, I like the sound, build quality leaves much to be desired as my pair's headband is more epoxy than plastic where the earcups attach

Replaceable cable is a must

V6 actually, but yeah, pretty much the same, i like it, for a while it was my main monitor, after de DT880 it only saw use for live monitoring or recording.
I still listen to it during trips or when in need of isolation though.

did your HM5 break?

Earcups are OK, headband's barely keeping together. Took them to the office and now I need another pair of 'home' headphones, hopefully something more robust build wise.

deiba

M-Audio HDH-50
i would greatly appreciate it if you could take a picture of the damaged headphones

R8 me m8's

Here you go, not the prettiest epoxy job.

Are you a girl or just underage?

thanks

We are all girls in Sup Forums.

No, you're just a little homo.

Find me a more perfect in-ears than the Sennheiser CX 2.00
[spoiler]protip you can't[/spoiler]

]spaler/kill yourself)\spoelr/

>Budget
$120
>Location
US
>Source
Samsung Galaxy S6
IEMs
>Comfort level
Somewhat comfortable don't really care
>Preferred music
Anything except country
>Past headphones
Shitty $20 Sony headphones etc. First time looking for some actually decent headphones

Best computer speakers on a ~$50 budget?

Something from thrift store. Nothing good in that price point for new.

>Budget
$300 USD
>Location
United States
>Source
iPhone, Android, Laptop all via Bluetooth
Around-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Doesn't really matter, I won't be listening to them for longer than 30-45 minutes at a time
>Preferred tonal balance
Balanced, not a fan of gigantic bass or drowning out the mids for a brighter high end
>Preferred music
60's and 70's rock, modern alternative are the most common
>Past headphones
Currently use Bose Triport OE when on the bus to work or walking around the hospital campus (what I'm attempting to replace) and beyerdynamic DT770 250Ω at home when just listening or playing the drums.

I know you guys hate wireless, but for my purpose it's a very attractive feature. I completely understand the drawbacks. Noise cancellation isn't necessary, typically a closed can is more than enough isolation for my environment.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

300 USD is unfortunately a graveyard in the closed headphone department outside of maybe fostex t50rp mods, particularly for a balanced sound signature

closest I can think of is the oppo-PM3, and I'd hardly call that balanced. The THX-00 even less so. I think this is the part where you just buy an overpriced bose QC 25 and call it a day

>Budget
$100 - $200

>Location
USA

>Source
Phone, Laptop, Desktop

Circumaural

>Open or closed
Either

>Comfort level
Preferably comfy

>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral

>Preferred music
Classical, Electronic, Rock, Metal

>Past headphones
ATH M50

Sorry, I should have made it a bit more obvious but I was trying to use the purchasing advice template in the sticky. I'm looking for a Bluetooth enabled pair of headphones. Thanks for the THX-00 mention though, they LOOK incredible.

ad900x

they will complement your m50 nicely, alternatively a used hifiman 400s if you can find a good deal

or just save an extra hundred over the next couple months and pick up an hd600

which headphones?

DESU I don't really like the M50s too much. I find them lacking in the mids

>hd600
Also, how do the HD558s compare?

garbage opinions incoming

Haven't heard the hd558's to compare them, supposedly the 558's have a bit more bass but less clarity and sound quality pretty much across the board. I can only compare them to the he-400s and fostex t50 rp mk3s and by far I preferred the hd-600s stock compared to both if you don't mind a neutral laid back sound signature, or just EQ them if you really want them to be V-shaped/forward or something. The fostexes are fun as hell for closed headphones but uncomfortable and the he-400s has issues in the mids department compared to the hd600, it felt like a slight downgrade everywhere except in bass quality. The 600's beat the shit out of both of them in everything but bass where it's anemic compared to the planars without some equalizing, but even then it can't really match the speed and fast decay of the fostex or quantity in the 400s

Wew lad that's a lot of information to take in. So if I understand what you're saying, you're saying that the 558s are the worst in terms of clarity and overall quality, and the HD 600s have the most neutral signature, but lack in the bass department?

So if I don't really care much about bass, you would say the HD 600s are the best? How about Beyerdynamic DT-880s?

Not the same user but I just got a pair of hd598's and the bass on them is fine, with a good amount of detail across the spectrum.I would pick the hd600 over them but money was an issue.

Yeah I'm really not trying to spend $200 on headphones but would be willing to. I gotta buy an Intel cpu son ; - ;

Well the AD series from audio technica are NOT balanced, all AT open cans are treble heavy, so your best bet is the hd558.

Are HD 598s worth the extra $50

Can't say as it's been years since i heard the 518 or 558, but I would pay the $50 just for the aesthetic improvements.

I don't regret spending $220 AU on them, put it that way. They don't stack up against the hd600 or k712, but they're good for the price.

Great, thanks for the help my man

You're welcome user, enjoy your fashion cans that actually hold up to standards.

:D

Just replaced the silver ear pads on the dt770's with black ones. What do you guys think?

Does it make them sound darker?