Coding school 42 thread

Anything related to this.

techcrunch.com/2016/05/17/coding-school-42-plans-to-educate-10000-students-in-silicon-valley-for-free/

Thoughts?
Did you apply?
How long does it take to get an answer?

Other urls found in this thread:

travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/study-exchange/student.html
kodewithklossy.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

applied, will try test(s) tomorrow

I fucked up in the first exercise, had a 10/10 hangover but I have 0 patience.

I finished the second today, hope to get an answer soon, if I failed --> lesson learned

I find it hard. Am I retarded?

I think I got stuck for 40 mins in this one, everything else was somewhat easy, anyway was fun.

>I fucked up in the first exercise, had a 10/10 hangover but I have 0 patience.
The story of my life.

>42
H1B bait. It will be Poo, India on US soil.

I'm an eurofag, finished this chapter of my life
>free time
>savings
>passive income
>24 years old.
>Want to practice my shitty english and get out of my comfort zone

Doesn't seem too bad... I mean I'm sure it will be a valuable experience, either I like it or dislike it, I really hope I can go.

You need to be a US citizen, national, or permanent resident to apply.

Really?
Perhaps I overlooked that part.

Tried it and got invited for a meeting in Paris.
>pic related
It's a fun challenge even if you don't plan to attend but I can't afford it to travel and live there.

Are you retarded? You just apply for the French school in Paris.

I'm living in Europe lol. You choose where you want your meeting to be had.

Okay.

Thoughts:

Will produce a very large number of app-monkeys turning out "flappy meme" apps and startups for "making a meme dictionary online!" or kickstarters "An amazing new game featuring retro, 2D, 8-bit graphics, a compelling storyline, and a Chiptune soundtrack (available separately)"

Maybe one out of tens/hundreds of thousands will be able to survive a real programmer's job. Patching and notating a bad .net installer created by someone else many years ago for a piece of medical imagery software the company that hired you licensed for resale. Creating endless JSON scripts for identity management profiles for a banking software company that outsourced their actual development to India many moons ago. Or writing fragments of a larger, massive, ultimately useless program in a cubicle for a tech giant only to find out you need to completely rewrite a fragment you did 2 weeks ago under a crunch because it doesn't play nice with the fragment Ms. Affirmative-Action down the hall made since she still can't seem to understand what comments are in coding and when she does use them, they're vague or reference comments nobody else can see because they're from a fragment she did for a totally different program.

nah, 42 has a tough reputation.
The point is, when you get out of there you're not an expert, but you learned enough to go further, as well as proved that you're willing to learn and work hard to get better.

>Will produce a very large number of app-monkeys turning out "flappy meme" apps and startups for "making a meme dictionary online!" or kickstarters "An amazing new game featuring retro, 2D, 8-bit graphics, a compelling storyline, and a Chiptune soundtrack (available separately)"
In France you have to spend the first working from 8AM to 23PM on raw C code, during the second year you learn C++ the same way and I don't know what you have to do the following years but it's pretty tough. Those who manage to get their diploma from 42 know how to code.

I got invited to a 42 meeting in Paris. 42 in France doesn't have dorms, right? Second issue is that I don't know french.

Nope, they don't. They have showers, though. But from what I heard you can't really use them as there are only a few of them for several hundreds of students.

I'm fucked then. Can't afford living in Paris lol.

you can sleep in the hallway.

I've seen that on Youtube and laughed but am I allowed to stay in during weekends/holidays? I don't really care until I find some part time job there.

>Here we go

I will go alone, with no other plans than that, any other eurofag going to silicon valley?

Any idea when will be 'check-ins' available?

You are aware that you need a green card for that? That's why I choose Paris.

As far as I know, first students will come in November, I will find a way, if not will try to enroll in Paris if they let me change it.

Are people this desperate to be programmers?
Is working as a programmer such a great job?

Good luck ! I'll create a thread when they open check-ins, so US and EU fa/g/s can maybe meet up and grab a beer or something.

They should rename it to OKB-42

Thought? It's shit. It's essentially a 2-year coding bootcamp that you pay off by doing internships. Then once that's all over, you're left with what could vaguely be called a degree from a place called "42". Yeah, that'll look great.

It's slightly above a pajeet tier university.

You don't get the point.

The experience seems unreal to me, I love going out and proving myself, also wants to get out of my place/friends/family at least for a while, I love to code since I was young, and going to silicon valley and stuff, man I just love it, it seems unreal, just having a slight chance, I don't mind sleeping on the floor, I don't mind working hard

These are not the kinds of people you should be aspiring to "prove yourself" too. I can understand having admiration for a good professor, but these people themselves are fresh out of some shit university and can only offer you the knowledge of how to write some shit-tier websites.

This. Coming from a very poor family with problematic background 42 seems ideal for me. I just need to convince myself to actually accept and get there next month.

I'm in the middle of nowhere surrounded with people with no common interest, just going there with people from everywhere of my same age~ with aprox same mindset, practice english.. seems like an amazing experience, and man, I can always leave if is that bad

Have you even taken the test? It's completely short term memory followed by a theoretical puzzles. It's closer to ACM comps than making 'apps'

anyone else going to the silicon valley one wanna meet up? i have social anxiety and can't do this alone

I'd be more impressed if you proved yourself by getting your doctorates, or doing some kind of meaningful research. Doing well at some coding bootcamp doesn't seem that impressive to me.

>You don't get the point.
I don't. And that's okay.

>people ITT

Same for me if someone is going to Paris next month.

WHY ARE 95% OF THE PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD IN YUROP

I can go with you, if we can get a place to sleep, I'm fine on the floor, and also the check-in date.

I'm self-sustained so fuck off.

> fonctions

Hon hon

are you willing to live in a cage

No.

Do I get free room and board?

When i took the first test, I thought about quickly getting out some tape, marking my monitor and recording myself saying the locations of the squares, (eg. A4 E3 F6) and playing it back.

I didn't do it tho, and I only made it to level 8.
Do I have to pay to fly out to california just to interview?

I just turned my laptop upside down and marked the boxes with coins and old PC case screws.

lmao, does people really cheat on this stuff? disgusting

This is nothing, I did worse things in HS/Uni.

I market the squares with thermal paste. At the end my screen looked like the surface of moon, the paste was arctic silver. Made it to level 14

I can't remember lvl I got to but I know I didn't have enough coins/screws at the end so I just memorized last 4-5 boxes lol

Pajeet-tier tbqh.

So I just passed both tests but I didn't notice in requirements you need a green card. It shouldn't be a problem to get a student visa on my own since I'm canadian right guys....?

This isn't a "legit" school so you might have issues. Just mail them or ask them on Facebook/Twitter.

Citizens of Canada and Bermuda do not require visas to enter the United States as students, although they must present a valid Form I-20 at the time of admission

The school is not accredited so you aren't a student for the government

travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/study-exchange/student.html
It might fit in one of those categories though.

This pic was taken in France.
And yep, some people actually love programming, in these kind of school you can work on projects for 48 - 72 hours straight and sleep in the school.
I know it because I come from a similar school (Not free, 5 years, with a real diploma at the end)

I learnt WAY more in a month in my school than in an entire semester in a Californian University.
And now that I worked in the Silicon Valley a few months I know that at least 50% of programmers here are shit-tier code monkeys who don't have any kind of interests in software engineering/development.

>An amazing new game featuring retro, 2D, 8-bit graphics, a compelling storyline, and a Chiptune soundtrack (available separately)

Absolutely spot on. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

I could stand it at first, but after a while they all just blend together in my mind.

what

the

FUCK

welcome to Sup Forums

Frenchfag here, I'm gonna try the swimming pool in july
You can only sleep in the school during the swimming pool.

do you mean semester?

Stopped reading at "Coding"

Not trying to be rude but what do you mean ?

About the swimming pool ? That's how they call the entry exam. It's one entire month long and they say there's about 15 hours of work per day

Still better than "koding"
kodewithklossy.com/