French billionaire founded free code monkey university for talented individuals aged 18 to 30

>french billionaire founded free code monkey university for talented individuals aged 18 to 30
>free tuition and dorms for those who get accepted

techcrunch.com/2016/05/17/coding-school-42-plans-to-educate-10000-students-in-silicon-valley-for-free/

www.42.us.org

Who else passed the test but too autistic to go in for the meeting?

Anyone go to the one in paris? What do they ask you?

Other urls found in this thread:

42.us.org/the-university/team/
rue89.nouvelobs.com/2016/05/19/ressources-inhumaines-politis-flingue-systeme-free-264076
youtube.com/watch?v=sPwaCAGqKEo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>42.us.org/the-university/team/
>team is all white
>all 4 janitors are black

fucking kek

>mfw i would gladly go here but poorfag from Balkans, don't even have the money to go to USA

So you have to fly out to California to have a chance at getting in?

Nevermind. It says they have 300 dorms available for free and planning to expand to 600.

I wonder who gets the free dorms though. First come first serve or based on scores?

Bit gay

you first have to take an online test. if you pass it, then you have to fly out to california to do the test.

>I wonder who gets the free dorms though

Non-whites and females

Do they pay for the flight or do you get fucked out if they don't choose you?

they pay for the flight and you get $5000 in consolation money, and they'll write you a recommendation letter for google

>they pay for the flight and you get $5000 in consolation money
Sounds like a load of shit desu.

>free
There's nothing free, specially when there's a billionaire involved.

>google

well im from Costa Rica, do I get a room? just not with pajeet please

>everything is free except he gets 90% of profits from whatever program you make in the future
>contract lasts 30 years

For the American school, you need American citizenship.

i'll just marry one of your sluts in that case

So there's gonna be another 10k mediocre programmers flooding the market each year, huh?

If it's not accredited, then they shouldn't be calling themselves a university. Frankly, saying "I graduated from 42." to any employer would be an embarrassment.

>free
>There's nothing free, specially when there's a billionaire involved.
He don't give a fuck about 100 millions $ for a pet project like a free university, he makes that money in 2 months.

How can you be so naive that you can look at this, and not even think slightly of what they get out of it?

I think you don't understand of rich he is. $10 billion USD is a LOT of money. He doesn't need to make any more than that.

>doesn't need any more than that

He stoppped needing money around the 3-4 million mark. He's a business man, he's going to profit from it somehow.

>what they get out of it
Large corporations donate to this kind of shit because they want programmers to be less in demand. It's the same reason why they lobby politicians to increase the H1B or whatever the fuck.

He don't profit any cent from the school in Paris that is running 24/7 since January 2013.

Yeah, I'm sure that's what he thought when he got to 9 billion, and the last one just kind of found its way into his pocket. The autism must be terribly strong with you if you think there's such a thing as tens of thousands of dollars' worth of free lunch.

There is one in France, where are you from?

rue89.nouvelobs.com/2016/05/19/ressources-inhumaines-politis-flingue-systeme-free-264076
He's definitely going for the money. The article is in french but it explains that he's using "borderline" methods to fire engineers.

How is that relevant?

youtube.com/watch?v=sPwaCAGqKEo

Do they award a real bachelor's degree in Comp Sci from this?

If this is like in France, this is a bullshit diploma with zero accreditation that they hope to back using the hype around the school.

kek fucking shit man I thought you were trolling, why even list the janitors on your startup page?

Also why are they sourcing people from america when you can get cheap coders from eastern europe for 1/4 the cost? This shit seems fishy man

They don't give any diploma.

The founder of the school is black. The picture is black and white, but come on...

42 student here, ask me anything.

The billionaire is the CEO of an ISP called "Free".
Apart from that, the only thing you pay as a student here in France is an appartement in Paris, but none of your money goes to the school directly, and you never get to sign any contract that requires you to give away your salary or things like that.
The money they make to sustain the school probably comes from various partners, who can then hire a student, with the guarantee than said student actually has a working experience, and knows his shit, they can also hold events on the campus, such as hackathons, conferences, parties, etc...
For example in a few weeks, Microsoft will hold (yet another) workshop about Microsoft Azure© and Docker®, I think the goal here is to get us interested in their technologies, since your average CS student here in France never ever got to use these things, which in turns allows Microsoft to hire students that got a bare minimal experience with their technologies, again, as opposed to your average CS student that after two years can only make a GUI in java.

Xavier niel is a guy who is known for his aggresiveness in phone lines.
He truly pushed the market and thanks to him, our internet prices went down a lot.
Here, the base price of internet plan is 30€ monthly. Cellphone is 20€ for unlimited calls, and 5 to 50gb of data, depending on the provider.
There's also a phone plan for 2€ with 2h of calls, unlimited text and 50mb of data.

He basically said fuck diplomas, we need skills. Also throw a nerd joke with the school's name (H2G2).

He's an interesting guy, he kicked established corporations in the nuts.

Epitech student here

>you never get to sign any contract that requires you to give away your salary
Wait until the only job you can find is at free, and you will be paid less than an exterior employee because they have to pay for the school. Nothing in life is free.

>Your average student [...] never use docker
Well actually it was developed by an Epitech French student.

>Can make a GUI in Java
Third year student and still can't make a GUI in Java (although it's not like I give a fuck about java)
But I am wondering are you talking about public school students or private school students? Cause there is a huge gap between the two.

And I have two more questions for you.
First, how does it feel to get the exact same subject as Epitech (we've checked, they are the same) but not the best two years of it, ie, the last two years where you go one year in a big University, where you can get a second diploma and build your network, and one year learning business and management so you're not stuck being a code monkey all your life?

And the second question is, how do you feel about having a director that is a bdsm master and spanked a girl in the middle of night at your school and got caught on camera?

Why in the world would you waste years of your life going to school for a field where each open position has nearly thousands of applicants?

42 is an Epitech copycat minus the reputation and the business side of things.
They just hired all the directors from epitech and copied all the subjects, school structure, and philosophy.
Even your headers at the top of your C files are the exact same ones

>Thinking that when you go to school like this you search for jobs
There is an high demand for quality computer programmer in France at least

>Wait until the only job you can find is at free
Nice meme.

pic related are only the first few jobs in CDI in the list, it won't let me post the full list as it is too big.

>actually it was developed by an Epitech French student
>your average

In what first world european country you are considered average if you pay 7000 per year to get your diploma ?

>are you talking about public school students or private school students
Public school, because, you know, they are 90% of graduates in this field, so they do represent the average.

>Cause there is a huge gap between the two
This is irrelevant, here.

> how does it feel to get the exact same subject as Epitech (we've checked, they are the same)
You've checked only the piscine subject (the entry exam), not the project we get once inside. Maybe the first few are yours, but it's like they're your IP.

Quite a lot of projects you don't have are written by *students*, and validated by the pedagogy team.

>build your network, and one year learning business and management so you're not stuck being a code monkey all your life

>last two years
That's litterally a money grabbing technique, since they make you pay each years thousands of euros.
There's no reason to start networking after three years, here in 42, you can do it within your first weeks here: last week you could have met with the Harvard Club, for example.

>learning business and management so you're not stuck being a code monkey all your life?
We have partnerships with HEC Paris.
(Altough from what I've heards, business is exactly what you'd think it is)
>how do you feel about having a director that is a bdsm master and spanked a girl in the middle of night at your school and got caught on camera
Feels great having a living meme as a director.

Also, are you this salty we get for free what you paid thousands to get ? Or salty because of how your seen by the rest of the society ?

Here's my question: how does it feel that in the eyes of those who got their education in public schools, to be just another spoiled kid with rich parents who got to pay to get its piece of paper instead of actually working and deserving it ? (Even if you aren't, that's what people will think of you)

You even admitted yourself 42 is "EPITECH without business". According to that logic, I'm pretty sure I'm getting more out of it than you since I'm paying about ~0 euros.

It's california so just say you're female

i just took the test it was quite frustrating. Couldn't get past the heart...

Is it anything like the first one? I was basically in a trance by the end of the 10 mins. Cant imagine doing 2 hours of that

he benefits if it increases the worker population (lowers costs of employment). Thats what the whole CS education drive is for, educators make $$$ and tech companies can set lower wages and have lower cost of employment in general.

i was terrible at the first one, i could probably have done it on a tablet or phone by hovering my fingers over the squares, but on a computer with a mouse? hell no. I couldn't get past the one with 7.

i don't want to spoil it for you, but imagine programming fucking bytecode with a tiny register that is extremely limited in the number of instructions you can use

Was there anyone who didn't get asked to meet after doing both tests? I only did ~8 of the second part before alt-tabbing until the time ran out but I still got the email.

The online tests are just there to know whether you're braindead or not.

i only finished four before I left to McDonalds and I got the email also. Not like I could afford to live in SF to do this though

I wish the director of my school was a bdsm master.

Four what? Big macs?

Oh I guess that's supposed to be a joint?

>He stoppped needing money around the 3-4 million mark
>this is what poorfags actually think

>tfw have a CS degree and can't even get a job

no you dont

surely it's not a scam like every other dev bootcamp

yes I do.

Everything is payed for by the school and you don't need to sign a contract that gives the school all your patent rights like some universities.

>surely it's not a scam like every other dev bootcamp
this.

until one of these places gets ABET accreditation or academy recognition from ACM/IEEE, I will not end my kids there

>French billionaire
>spend money on poo in a loos instead on fellow french people

that guy should be hanged desu

>needing

That is the keyword. A man could live very comfortably, filling all of his material needs, on 90,000usd a year. That would be a measly 3% return on 3 million. It would be roughly the same if you were to include 2% inflation and a very reasonable 5% return.

>Kwame Yamgnane
I didn't even need to look at the pic to know he was black.

He looks more like a mulatto, though.

>not wanting to physically join the botnet

>the base price of internet plan is 30€ monthly
How about the speed? How many MB p/ second do you get with a 30€ plan?

Optical fiber, up to 125MB/s symmetrical IIRC.

I was wrong: 1Gbits/s down, up, it's 200Mbits/s.

Frenchfag here

I was part of the very first "swimming pool", I did it pretty much just for fun, to see if I could learn a completely new set of skills in just a month (my branch of study has nothing to do with coding)

The online test was a piece of cake, my best bro and my little brother took it and were also selected to go to paris, it doesn't require any coding knowledge and is just pure logic (assembling tangram puzzles, guiding a robot to the end of a labyrinth with a limited set of commands, this kind of stuff)

I got crushed during the first week of the swimming pool (the theme was "use of the unix console and C programming), my best bro quit with me, my little bro stayed one more week before quitting too.
That being said, I had zero coding experience, I expect that any Sup Forumsentooman will go to the end of the swimming-pool, but the grading method is harsh, if I remember correctly, you're graded by an algorithm, by 3 other students for each project, and you're also graded on your ability to grade others

>janitors

Because someone cleaning toilets are important, even though it requires no skills.

So you just quit, they didn't kick you out? Where did you live?

>>team is all white

>Kwame
>white

And two of the other janitors are white women.

It's probably a scam.
I know this from working with people that engineer education scams for a living.

> are they even accredited? if not it's a waste of time and you won't get a degree.

What if I just want employable education and experience. Honestly I don't give a fuck about degrees in programming.

>So you just quit, they didn't kick you out? Where did you live?

He didn't get in in the first place.
Or you mean the entry exam ? Yeah, they won't kick you unless you're being a hopeless nuisance to others.

There was a mudslime when I was taking the pool, who marked everyone with random marks and never got above 0 at an exam. After two weeks, they told him if he doesn't get above 5 (out of 100) to the next exam, he'll get kicked. Got 0 and left.
They've also kicked out one who apparently molested girls, and 2 who were smoking weed.

>Where did you live?
During the pool, you can sleep at the school for free, but you have to bring your own sleeping bag/airmattress to sleep on.

There was a night where one drew on the face of people who were sleeping. He got caught on the cams that are everywhere. He didn't get kicked out, instead he got tied to a chair, and they called everyone in the school, gave us pens and asked us to draw on him. Good shit.

look at the photo again, he's obviously white

>He got caught on the cams that are everywhere. He didn't get kicked out, instead he got tied to a chair, and they called everyone in the school, gave us pens and asked us to draw on him.
Kek'd. Do they dislike you if you can't speak french? Is there a possibility of taking the "classes"/projects in english?

>Do they dislike you if you can't speak french

Well, of course not. Anyway aren't you going to the USA campus to take the exam ?

>Is there a possibility of taking the "classes"/projects in english

All lessons are currently being subbed in english, some subjects are available in english, and some are written exclusively in english (A LOT of the functionnal programming projects in OCaml are, for example).

Anyway, I'm a student at the France campus, I think the translations will be finished before the USA campus opens.

If you can get FTTH, it's from 100 mbit per sec to 1gbit per sec.
Most ISP will upgrade the speed for free if you have fiber.
If it's shitty copper, you will get the maximum speeds coppers allow in ADSL2 or VDSL.

>Well, of course not. Anyway aren't you going to the USA campus to take the exam ?
Good to know. No, I'm in the Paris group for the next month. Currently living in EU.

>All lessons are currently being subbed in english, some subjects are available in english, and some are written exclusively in english (A LOT of the functionnal programming projects in OCaml are, for example).
Great but please be honest, if I don't know french should I even try? Plane ticket would cost me around 70 EUR , so it's not that much but still if they require french I don't want to waste time. Thanks for the info user.

Free, the ISP, is fucking shit.
Peering issues up the wazoo and everything's throttled.
And they have the gall to make Apple-like ads with "Thanks, Free!" as their punchline.

Of course Niel is in for the money.
His strategy is always the same: announce low prices, have decent service in one or two places (Paris and a few big cities), and have horrendously shit service elsewhere because, well, nothing is free. Gotta recoup those costs somehow!

I'm glad I left these pieces of shit for the other ISPs.
The only thing Free was good for was pulling prices down. And they're going back up.

I'm glad I left these pieces of shit.

>Most of these jobs are codemonkey / SSII jobs
Is this a joke?

Also, don't be baited by that one AXA reporting tools offer. Trust me.

I registered but didn't get an email... I'm just curious, what sorts of assignments/tests are they given?

First is memory test, second is logic. Check it on YouTube to prepare but it's really simple.

Too bad most other companies do, NEET-kun

Programmer here...

I don't think it's possible to have a higher score than me on the first task, I literally went 10 minutes perfect (I cheated like any sane person would do on this stupid shit).

Did anyone go for the second test and care to share what's it about? I cba to waste 2 hours atm if it's again shit like the first game...

What sort of accreditation do they have?

Yeah but you have to admit he lowered the price of mobile and line internet.
He is based, and the other isp were jew.

>if I don't know french should I even try?
Depends on whether you're at least willing to learn french while working there.

I've met a few students who don't speak french but at least they try to utter some words, and they made friends who speak both languages so they can help translating shit when they fail to express themselves correctly.

Basically don't bother if you're a sperg unable to make friends (this is valid just about everywhere in life, tho).

Yes, I actually admitted to that in my post, brah.
Don't be fooled though, he's as much a jew as the other ISP leaders, if not more.

Not all, most of the employers I've talked to care more about the projects you did before and your skills than your degree. One directly told me this "I don't give a damn about your diploma, I just want you to start earning me money now without wasting my time." , I know it sounds arrogant but that's the job market now I guess.

Some Chinese managed to get a very basic grasp of french in 2 years where I study.
You should be able to do it. French grammar is a birch, but if you know vocabulary (you know English, that's a big help) it should be doable.

I'm pretty decent at making friends, learned Portuguese while dating a Brazilian girl and I'm still friends with a lot of Brazilians I've met trough her. I'll talk to some of my erasmus mates, maybe someone can help me with a part-time job there to get any sort of cash for basic things (food,hygiene supplies,washing/drying clothes etc).

That's good news. I still have a month before my meeting, so I can learn basics.

This is such horse shit, if you can pass the test you can get a junior position and just pay rent you dont need to live in a fucking dorm like some dumbass; just get a job this is such a huge waste of time

>hurr durr theres jobs in dubai and shit

if your job search is global than you can probably do better than this shit regardless

>He is based, and the other isp were jew.
Xavier Niel *literally* Jewish.

you need to be black to be a janitor there anyway
read the fucking thread slav-fag

He has family in Israel, but himself is atheist.

>Who else passed the test but too autistic to go in for the meeting?
just go and answer in short sentences.
leave out all the >implyings

literally impossible