What age did you grow out of video games and focus more on programming and other productive computer-based activities...

What age did you grow out of video games and focus more on programming and other productive computer-based activities? My interest in computers originated out of games when I was younger. But now that I'm almost 20 I'm beginning to enjoy games less and less, and can no longer justify spending large amounts of time playing them. So Sup Forums, what age did you stop really keeping up with vidya? And if you haven't yet, what keeps you playing?

gaymer 4 lyf

>I'm beginning to enjoy games less and less
that's because games have begun getting worse and worse.

it's a quality problem, not an age problem.

or you're just deppressed, but that doesn't change the fact that devs and the morons who pay them are absolute shit these days

This. Although I'm not playing games as much as I used to, when do I usually find myself playing those made before 2008. I don't know why, but that seems to be the year the gaming industry started going downhill rapidly.

but what else will I do for fun?

>all new films are just remade capeshit now
>no good tv shows
>reading books

All I can play on my 2011 laptop is CS:S anyway, the Intel HD 3000 graphics are ass.

Mostly this, I stopped playing games (at least in the amount I used to) around 2010 or so. Always enjoyed the latest blockbusters and a healthy mix of more hardcore games like DankSouls, and naturally I was super-excited for Bloodborne, it's like the damn thing I've always been waiting for, but it came, and went, and I still don't own a PS4. Uncharted 4 is out (played all the previous ones) but I still feel nothing. I didn't even play Last of Us. In retrospect it seems like a good thing, since the PS4.5 is a thing, but I probably won't get that either. Even on the computer I enjoy older games or ones that don't the system much, like Grim Dawn, and even then I'm never 'into' the game, I always run my games windowed and pause regularly to just do other stuff for it to not feel like a total waste of time.

Life is balance, user. You get to a point where work is obviously more important, but it doesn't mean you cant find 30 minutes every couple nights to play a little vidya. Ill say the shift really started around 20, currently 23.

Used to play COD online for hours and hours. Have over 3 months of just online play logged on my psn account (across diff versions of COD).

Now im finishing up uni, working in my field, and vidya is low on the totem pole.

Programming is for work. Why would I bother doing anything work-related when I'm not getting paid?

>What age did you grow out of video games and focus more on programming

Who said you can't have both? Programming is a crucial part of game development.

There's more to life than money. We work not just for personal profit, but ultimately for the betterment of our communities and our world.

I don't plan on making computers my career, but over the years I went from playing anything to only team competitive games. Games you have to apply yourself to to be good are the most fun I can have, and everything is more fun with friends.

Technically yes, but the thing is a large number of devs never actually played their own games, I guess they must've gotten sick of them after months of development. Getting into games development will probably even ruin your appreciation for games, since you'll be looking at them from a purely technical perspective and won't be fooled by attempts at suspension of disbelief.

>writing shitty programs for the sake of programming
>"productive"

This fortunately.

The only games I've enjoyed in the past 3 years were Bloodborne and Battlefield 4.

Protip: Don't replace video games with online gambling. I learnt that the hard way.

>And if you haven't yet, what keeps you playing?
This, although I really miss gaymes with pub servers you could make home. Matchmaking is dumb and I've run out of patience to play with redditumblrgag-tards; I can only play alongside people I know aren't certified retards (aka I can only play alongside friends/in inhouse PUGs). Also the fact that I remember that before 2008/9, multiplayer as a whole was noticeably better than what it is now, and I can say for a fact that it isn't "nostalgia fueled" keeps me sticking around hoping for a miracle. For single player, Rougelikes, JRPGs, and most games from before 2008 still manage to hold my interest these days. I recently started getting into playing some of the old single-player tactical shooters, although I'm not used to moving so slow out of necessity.

Programming/learning how to program feels really liberating despite all of the obstacles in the way because it's very possible to finally make your own gayme that isn't some shoddy mess these days.

My focus of work still needs me to use gamer-grade computer equipment.

This.

I haven't enjoyed much of the games released over the past 8 years.The few exceptions would be the Souls series, Fo3, and Doom.

And work takes it's toll too, i've been working 9 to 7 for the past 3 months and no time for going on with MMO's and shit.

>tfw you no longer enjoy anything in life because you permanently injured yourself

LUL might as well just kill myself desu senpai

I had a phase like that too, but now I play vidya again now that I have nothing to prove. Don't give me that shit unless you literally never do anything fun.

I stopped playing that much games a couple of years ago, shortly after enrolling into a game technology bachelor at university. Never completely stopped though, and occasionally I get engrossed in a game and I can play for almost 2 weeks straight. But there's also periods where I barely play anything for months.
I do want to get into vidya (or related) programming since the tech is cool as shit. Programming is fun in itself, but there's just something about making interactive graphical shit that gets me really excited.

Shame I have no (prolonged) motivation for personal projects so I never get anything off the ground that's not university work.

Eh. I'm 30. I'm a JavaScript dev. We usually play a round or two of comp during/after work most days.

Aside from that I play maybe one title every 18 months or so, definitely past always having whatever the next new shit is.

Is because games are getting dumber and dumber for Shit players, so you don't enjoy them or feel challenged anymore.

You're never too old to play video games. It's only a bad thing if you let it consume your life. I personally like to occasionally play a /vr/ game often in my free time. also this

I was always kind of more interested in modding games than actually playing them. I don't play a lot of games, and when I do I usually don't enjoy myself because I simply suck at them, but the medium itself intrigues me.

I play world of warcraft for already 10 years. The game is shit, but I can't stop myself, it's shitty and extremely addictive at the same time. Learned lua thanks to it, lol.

only reason I can think of playing wow is to grief turbonerds and ultra virgins.

When I found a bigger challenge in reversing their network protocols and building custom automated clients to play the game for me in multiple accounts simultaneously.

It makes these mobile scams/gambling simulators, I mean games actually worthwhile. They're all the same. I got an army of bots to grief other human players with. Very entertaining.

I grew out of video games when I was 19 or so.

Now I only waste my time hoarding movies and anime I rarely watch on the best quality and most bloated size I can find.

Truly a great step up.

Please kill me.

Anything can be work if you get paid for it. What's your point?

>growing out of an artistic medium

Nice meme.

>programming and other productive computer-based activities
I rarely see anyone talking about "productivity" on this shithole actually doing something productive.

Show me your latest project.

Wanting to be productive.

When I was younger the less intelligent kids went to TAFE and got a trade. Now they become programmers.

Around like 2008. There hasn't been a good JRPG since Lost Odyssey so I kind of just dropped most games as a whole. I will occassionally play mini games.

What age did you grow out of programming and other productive computer-based activities and focus more on video games? My interest in computers originated out of programming databases when I was younger. But now that I'm almost 40 I'm beginning to enjoy programming less and less, and can no longer justify spending large amounts of time coding. So Sup Forums, what age did you stop really keeping up with coding paradigms and techniques? And if you haven't yet, what keeps you mashing out code?

idk when I was like 20 I guess, but I play them again now, I realised I just stopped because I was expected too not cause I didn't have fun with them any more.

Real men do whatever the fuck they want with their time, I worked hard to get a good job so that I only have to work 3 days a week, if I want to spend the other 4 days playing dota 2 and jacking off, so be it.

>or you're just deppressed
Can confirm, diagnosed with major depressive disorder, went off games around that age too. After ten years of medication and therapy and the old "one step forward, two steps backwards" routine, I'm enjoying games again.

Last few weeks I've been playing Civ5 in the evenings for a couple hours, quite fun.