/cpug/ CPU general

i'm just waiting for zen guys edition

chat about cpus here

>sandy bridge master race

you will be blessed with high temps and lots of crashes, but only if you reply: thank mr skylake

I just heard AMD is dropping their solution for a SMT solution more like intels Hyperthreading. I am now interested in Zen

Zen is an SMT architecture.
AMD's approach with the Bulldozer was CMT.

I just built a computer with an i5-6500. How long until I should upgrade? I'm interested in Zen and want to support AMD if they actually make a good product. Should I wait until Zen+? No way I'd upgrade to Zen right now though, that's way too soon.

Thank Mr Lynnfield

Might as well wait for Zen+. Or the generation after that, if AMD is still in business.

Zen is SMT (simultaneous multithreading; little duplicated hardware, 2 threads execute simultaneously on the same hardware), the construction cores were CMT (Clustered multi-threading; lots of duplicated/shared hardware, can be thought of as core and a half.)

I hesitated to call it that because of Suns "Chip multithreading"

I never heard someone call AMD's modules "Clustered multi-threading" until I read the article about the change. it was usually just "partial SMT"

AMD is literally nowhere near bankruptcy. They are not in any danger of going bankrupt.
They already have two utterly massive enterprise deals with Zen parts.

It was joke, because of all the AMD IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT memes.

>AMD is literally nowhere near bankruptcy. They are not in any danger of going bankrupt.

are you trolling? AMD only has 500mil cash on hand. people were worried they going to keep losing ~300mil per quarter and go bankrupt before they could even reach the paper launch for zen. they've stopped hemorrhaging money uncontrollably now, but they're not even close to financially secure yet and won't be for years.

so there sticking the threads into groups?

>I'm literally 12 years old and don't understand anything about finances

AMD has roughly $2 billion in long term debt that they don't have to pay anything back on until March of 2019. They are literally nowhere near bankruptcy. They are not in any danger of going bankrupt in the near future.
Their debts will be fully paid off by 2020. Regaining enterprise market share means AMD will rebound to revenue levels of $8 billion+ without having any dramatically increased overhead. Their operating margins are lower than ever thanks to Su's restructuring plan.

>b-b-b-but muh internet meems

Just like Intel, they're taking a very wide core and making it dynamically execute 2 threads at the same time.

Pic related is what its expected to look like.

How many anons hanging on to sandy bridge are hoping Zen is the miracle cure that'll finally give them a reason to upgrade? Because I can pretty much guarantee it won't happen.

ah, discount hyper threading, gotcha
the optiplex pc just has a i7 2600 in it, im hopping on the bandwagon just for lulz

>ah, discount hyper threading, gotcha
More like hyperthreading is just a fancy brand name (who's first implementation was on the shitpile that was Netburst) for SMT.

If anything, AMD's implementation of it should be just as powerful if not moreso due to the more balanced core design.

thank mr skylake

>sandy vag mastard rice
>not glorious Nehalem

can AM3 socket cpu cooler used at upcoming AM4?

Mark my words, Samsung is using AMD as a puppet. If Zen is somewhat successful at all you'll see AMD get soaked up by Samsung.

Zen is going to be poo

Q6600 BDMR here

Citation needed.

I have an 3570k right now, should I go for a 5820k now or do you think the broadwell refresh will drop the prices? I don't think the 6800k will be worth the price increase.

AMD isn't on the market to be acquired. When they regain profitable operation and pay off all their long term debt they're not going to throw everything away and piss off the board and all the investors. They're going to double down on R&D expenditures to milk the patents they've slowly been hording over the years. AMD is sitting ontop of an absolute goldmine of IP they haven't had the funds to see realized.
Your speculation is retarded.

Not that fag, but you do know the Desktop CPU market is losing customers every year and on a steady decline. I hate to break it but Zen isn't going to be this huge money maker. Even Intel had to lay off a bunch of employees this year due to this.

fucking memelake trash

>I have no idea what I'm talking about

The primary market segment for Zen based parts is enterprise. Regaining a footing in enterprise is where AMD will see their largest growth. Their pillars are enterprise, semi-custom, and for graphics. High end desktops and mainstream systems are just filling out the bottom line.

Enterprise-grade Zen and Vega based APU with 32GB of HBM2 on-chip.

All of my want.

If server boards show up on Newegg I'm going to buy at least one. My work place is running a bunch of hobbled together systems and at the core is a Phenom II thats limping to the barn.

intelfags on suicide watch

Of course, don't forget to buy the latest generation Intel Core Series CPU!

I am hoping Zen lights a fire under Intel's ass. Competition is good, everything has been so Stagnant.

Roughly about 5 years time, maybe longer if the CPU world doesn't evolve.

Cure for your down syndrome needed.

is actual chip going to be huge then? 8 core is the only option it seems

>tfw delayed suicide for zen will literally die with AMD

Summit Ridge is an 8 core die, the cores themselves aren't that big however.
Intel produces big cores, AMD doesn't. Zen isn't an arch with big FPU datapaths.
A single 22nm Haswell core is almost the exact same size as an entire 28nm Excavator module.
If 14nm Zen is 40% larger than an entire(scaled) Excavator module, then it'd would just 6mm2. Still considerably smaller than Broadwell and Skylake cores on intel's denser 14nm node.

why are used e5-2670s so tempting?
why are motherboards for them so expensive?

Enterprise boards have to pass strict validation to ensure reliable uptime.

Is there going to be much happening later in the year which should have me considering delaying my gaymen build?

Summit Ridge CPUs launch near end of the year, and AMD's big enthusiast Vega GPUs do as well.

>can AM3 socket cpu cooler used at upcoming AM4?
dont know yet, though a new bracket may be needed to support it.

>Availability 2016

Yeeeeeeeeaaah right.

the 8350 is about 2X the size of what the 8 core zen should be, if that gives you how big the chip is and what it could be priced at.

a VERY large part of intels cpus isn't the graphics portion, something 8 core zen is doing without,

AM4 is a physically larger socket, so coolers likely need new supports. Then again I doubt they'd design new factory coolers if they only worked for their older mounting arrangement.

Over all die size means literally nothing when talking about core implementation in silicon. Comparing over all size between a 32nm and 14nm part is beyond pointless.
And if you think Summit Ridge is going to be cheap then you're flat out retarded. AMD is done being the budget brand.

>falling for the i3 meme
>falling for the 16GiB
>falling for the Gigabyte meme
>falling for the multi-monitor meme
>falling for the SSD meme

done being the cheap solution and being cheap are two different things, fury before the 980ti could have priced itself anywhere between 550 and 1000$, and they went 650, given the water cooler, it was expected another 100$ on top of cost, this was after they said they didn't want to be the cheap brand anymore. given this, there is reason to believe amd will release the cpu at 300-400$, if they had no real top end competition like intel usually does, then they would go stupid high. but we will wait and see, hell we may see in a few days what the price will be.

ok, if you use your computer hard, 16gb is barely enough, moving to 16gb from 8gb i saw a massive fucking difference because shit wasn't constantly going to page.

multiple monitors are useful for productivity

and a ssd is the single biggest upgrade a computer can get because seek time and to a lesser extent i/o or read speed were massive fucking bottlenecks.