"Install Linux" they said

"Install Linux" they said.

"Any retard can do it" they said.

"Your files will be kept safe" the installer assured twice.

>"Any retard can do it" they said.
so you're saying that you're literally dumber than a retard?

what did you need linux for?
how can you possibly fuck up a dual boot?
what are you even on the tech board?

Another victim of the Arch Linux meme. You should have installed Gentoo.

1- To compile stuff I'm deving more easily.

2- I think it has something to do with booting the installer in UEFI mode, it gave me a warning but then said my files would be safe.

3- Just cause

Your files are still there. Too bad you don't know enough about windows to fix it.

>he managed to fuck up the windows partition

I may have not even been able to figure out how to download and execute programs on linux, but damn bro.

>1- To compile stuff I'm deving more easily.
stick to windows 10, it has bash now and was made for people like you.

>Any retard can do it
>fails
oh dear...

Protip: In ubuntu and other debian derivatives .deb files are installers.

nigga ew ubuntu!??!?

Right, I forgot, install Gentoo.

Pathetic.
Literally takes seconds to search how to fix it.
Get your windows install disk, open command prompt, then type bootrec /ScanOS then Bootrec /RebuildBCD

Linux is safe, you are just retarded

no honestly I think I was on some obscure linux os and I got baited into trying to install something via terminal so i've had ptsd ever since

Looks like you either fucked up installing the bootloader somehow, or have some weird incompatibility...

Either way, your files should be safe if you actually partitioned correctly... I'm assuming you were trying to dual boot here.

You should be able to repair the Windows bootloader if all else fails... again, assuming you partitioned correctly. Google how to do this if necessary.

You people said that, doesn't mean it's true, I am pointing out lies in my post, are you that much of an autist that you can't notice context?

>delete windows
>it doesn't boot anymore

>Get your windows install disk
That torrent is long gone.
Can't believe I'm going to have to download it again on this shit internet. My entire day is gone because of this shit.

>pirates malware riddled windows isos
>fucks up his windows bootloader with a linux installer
>doesn't even keep backups

average Sup Forums user

you can not make this shit up

>not having copies of cracked windows 7 on usb drives

baka

>Not having a backup windows install disk
Plus, you could just use Ubuntu or something as a live CD and still get access to your files and do whatever while downloading the torrent

Sup Forums causing yet another person to fall for the Linux meme

If you don't want to wait for the Windows download, consider fixing your bootloader from within TempleOS

Boot into Linux, mount your windows partition, burn the iso from there.

There are plenty of those. Ubuntu has come a long way and Red Hat/Fedora/CenOS are in active development. Debian is a common choice for servers running apache.

1. Windows disc
2. bootrec /rebuildbcd (and other related commands)

>windows 7
It was windows 8.1

I've had it for years and never had to format it. All it takes is not being a dumbfuck who downloads suspicious shit.

Yeah, hope that does it.

Lol that command will brick your drive retard

boot into linux, download OS-prober from your package manager, then reinstall and reconfigure grub.

It should recognize your windows partition and appear in the grub list

How did you mess up inserting a USB drive and hitting next until it tells you to reboot?

Should have done a liveCD and tried it out, or a VM.

Ok then I guess that doesn't do it.

>he clicked next when it said "This will overwrite the previous bootloader"

retard

You'd swear google wasn't a thing.

No, I clicked "Go back", then I clicked next and it went to the next section that said that my shit would be safe.

what distro?

This, and also what version?

>he fell for the Linux meme

That's what you get for wasting your time with a hobbyist OS.

Ubuntu, chose the first one that shows up on google because I wanted something that wouldn't give me headaches.

>lts

retard

>he actually managed to fuck up an ubuntu install

wtf

Did the power go out midway through the installation or something?

One, Linux is retard proof, no idea what that makes you, second, that is an easy fix for Windows.

It's very easy any retard can do that*.

*Unless you are an unfortunate individual who has some unsupported (60% of all) hardware.

But to be honest yours look like a different kind of retardation. Most of the time people fail at actual linux related stuff not really at boot.

>package manager
No, but it did give me a warning about being booted in UEFI

Do you have a UEFI computer?

No you're supposed to install gentoo. Linux is a kernel you still need a userland and a libc and a compiler and some other shit to make it work properly.

Oops

>package manager
Can't find it

I have a windows

oh dear

I'm pretty sure it's UEFI, most new PCs are and mine ain't that old.

This is too much

Bumping for help

this is a good thread

Google commands before running them. The answer has already been posted.

Your files are safe when you back them up onto a separate disk

>is a computer programmer
>can't figure out how to set up a dual boot without fucking his machine

You're either full of shit or a web dev. Possibly both.

>not realizing that this whole thread is elaborate bait
shiggy

>Linux is retard proof

Wow that is the funniest thing I've read all day.

Linux is by far the easiest OS to fuck up.

>Linux is by far the easiest OS to fuck up.
You are quite right. Windows is at least somewhat idiot-proof.

So I got os-prober installed but it doesn't run.

Help.

/thread

erm, why are you running a system changing program as a standard user? Do you even sudo?

there's a price to be paid for your freedom.

The freedom to fuck up your operating system? Sounds great.

Nevermind IT'S BACK! It sort of fixed itself, some of the auto updates I kept downloading fixed it I guess. Feel good to be back home.

Welp this shit sure left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'll still give linux a better shot later.

the most /comfy/ way to use 2 systems is to run one natively in the whole disk and have a VM for the other. You avoid issues like this and you can have them both running at the same time. Dual booting is silly in @currentyear considering how fast VMs have got.

I use Debian as my main system and keep a Win7 VM for whenever I need to test stuff in a Windows environment.

>implying the Windows bootloader being an easy to break piece of shit is somehow Linux's fault

You of all people calling others autists.

Better yet, put your floaties back on and stay in the shallow end of the pool. Linux doesnt require idiots like you.

This could be fixed easily within 25 minutes.
I'm not telling you how because you failed to read the sticky that says in BOLD FUCKING TEXT
"Sup Forums IS NOT YOUR TECH SUPPORT"

P.S, it's a bootloader kind of feel.

There are no mods on Sup Forums.

or. or just sudo grub-update

>has windows issue
>blames GNU/Linux
Boot from a live windows image and fixmbr

Time to buy a gentoo

Lol, I've never dual booted with windows, I don't know how that works.
But to be honest most linuks distributions just barely do the work and it's russian roulette when it comes to installing a distro and having it work.
From my experience it was like this.
>Wipe the windows, seriously, why would you even want windows if not just for gaming? (and if that's the case then you should have a gaming rig exclusively for that, dumbass)
>Install whatever user friendly training wheels linuks you find
>use your training wheels for the purpose they serve, until you feel comfortable enough to use a less baby distro. I found manjaro to be a good transition
>Eventually install either Arch or Gentoo
The rationale is that every single distro that does it's shit on your behalf through an automated installer is likely to take decisions for you and hide the steps so when something goes wrong you never know what actually went wrong and you don't have a say at installation time to fix this. The automated installer promises out-of-the-box functionality but a computing environment is so complex that achieving that is hit and miss.
When the installation is actually done by the user step by step you get to know what went wrong and when, the community actually knows what's going on so they can actually help you, and you can modify the steps to account for your given hardware and software.
And even the big boy distros aren't that hard at all, they're just about following instructions. Training wheels are just meant for absolute beginners who don't know what bash means

Don't call it GNU/Linux you fucking Stallmanite

>he doesn't know how to edit the bootloader
>he doesn't even know how to edit it while using Windows
retards are slow
you aren't a retard
you're an idiot

>tfw dualbooting Ubuntu 15.10 and Windows 7
>no issues at all
Apart from the fact that windows wouldn't update AT ALL. Turns out that it didn't like being anything but first in the GRUB bootloader.

Don't listen to spergs who say dualbooting is easy. The chance for things going wrong on both sides goes up by 40%

I'll do it just to make you mad faggot, fite me.

if you use UEFI and 1 HDD entirely for windows it's not that hard.

Arch on my laptop, windows on my desktop.

It's nice.

If you can't fucking dual boot I don't even get why you're working on this field.

>1- To compile stuff I'm deving more easily.
You must be the worst dev evar, if you can't even install linux.