Sup Forums what would be a functional...

Sup Forums what would be a functional, desktop linux distro which is designed to be as customizable and as lightweight as possible? I'm aware that Arch exists, but is it really the only option?

xubuntu is very functional and very lightweight

all distros can be easily customized the same way, so if you wanted riced out tiling WM with borders and anime background, it doesn't matter what you pick

gentoo
e
n
t
o
o

>ketchup on bananas
Just get a mac.

Is that a picture of steak and bananas, covered in ketchup, with a glass of milk?

That's disgusting.

I'm not talking about ricing, but the core components of the OS. I don't want to install anything more than what I need, I don't want my operating system to be larger than 1 gigabyte.

I thought about it, but is it as good as arch? All I can see whenever I read about gentoo is that you have to compile all software from scratch, that just seems tedious.

Manjaro XFCE :^)

Puppy

The beautiful thing about gentoo is that you compile everything yourself.
All the choices a compiled distribution makes for you essentially goes away.
You can keep a couple of tools updated and the rest stable if you want.
You also get aware of how big some applications are and then seek minimal solutions to more problems.

Let's not forget that he also has a Microsoft keyboard.

>using the smiley with a carat nose

>this is how omnivores actually eat

Any distribution can be customized as much as you want. If you want lightweight, just get the net install version and download shit like the DE yourself from there command line.

unironically gentoo is the most customizable distro out there. not even joking.
if you want a minimal system and start from there instead use debian.

cold beefsteak with sliced banana covered in a puree of tomato that has been mixed with vinegar and an amount of table sugar you would think is reserved for candies

>as lightweight as possible?
gentoo
look at that memory

>desktop linux distro
AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Alpine is pretty light.
Holy fuck, µlibc?

sup greek fag?

What task bar are you using?

crunchbang
or crunchbag i forgot, however it only takes up like 100 mb ram and its around 1gb aswell, its got tiling wm and ships with some barebones tools

How did you manage to do that? I can barely go under 200MB even with -* as a use flag.

>designed to be as customizable and as lightweight as possible

The only major distros that actually care about these things are Debian and Gentoo.

Arch is neither lightweight nor customizable.

You want Gentoo

>Any distribution can be customized as much as you want.
So how do I, say, replace OpenSSL by LibreSSL?

Under gentoo it's just setting USE="libressl -openssl". What about other distros?

Any distro is fairly lightweight, just depends mostly on your DE or WM

Ubuntu + Windowmaker = idle 120mb of ram
Mint does it in 70mb
i3 on any distro but especially "core" distros like arch can idle under 50mb of ram

Lightest possible would be no GUI tiny core Linux.
I've had that run at 24 mb of ram and 8 of that was htop

>Any distro is fairly lightweight, just depends mostly on your DE or WM
You haven't tried CentOS, user-kun. It's enormous.