Do people actually use Linux as their daily driver or is it a meme?

Do people actually use Linux as their daily driver or is it a meme?

People usually use it to you around or for specific tasks - but maybe there are 10 people in total on this board that use it everyday... obviously not sane.

Of course they do. If you don't play many games, Linux is perfectly capable.

I use it ironicallt

It's my primary OS

I used to for years but now use Windows 10. I shill GNU/Linux just to troll idiots in to wasting their time with it to make me feel better about all the time I wasted.

I use it on my laptop and will once i get a desktop. All i do is watch jewtube and shitpost.

its a meme

I've been Learning Linux and how they work. And the extremely flexibility they offer and along with how you can completely break them too, lol

I can see the appeal.

Personally, I don't really care much for it. Though I could easily do what I do now on linux, though would take a bit to make some things work.

Linux vs windows vs Max = Auto cars vs Manual cars, etc, etc

Pick your poison and move on.

lol you're on the internet you fuck

you're using right fucking now

It's like you are asking "How many people here use manual transmission?" in an automobile board

My uni course requires us to use Linux. Not all of my cs classed require it though.We study the kernel and have to write programs using POSIX thread libraries and Linux TCP libraries. for all our assignments we must use git or svn and then to submit them we have to copy the files over ssh to their Linux server and verify that they run there.. we are tested on various commands eg. What ls -Fi shows you came up on the midsem. I still dual boot windows but I'm 95% of the time using Linux now.

I use it everyday. I'm thinking on removing my windows partition since I never boot on it. I stopped playing the few games that I had installed on my windows partition.

>Do people actually use Linux as their daily driver or is it a meme?
Yes

Why wouldn't I?

>there are 10 people in total on this board that use it everyday
Wew rajesh. Go back to Sup Forums with your mental handicap

People generally just install it, keep using Windows, then only use it when their friends or family are over to impress them.

If you don't play games or use professional/production/office software for any business purpose.

Basically it's perfect to dwell in your basement and do nothing useful or interesting.

Yeah by your definition having an Android phone is "using Linux".

if by people you mean fedora edgelords, and by use you mean rice their desktops, then yes

Android uses Linux as it's kernel
Epic win XD

If you have to ask, it's a meme.

>theres people on Sup Forums who use proprietary operating systems

Its a meme, only losers would...oh wait

I do on my laptop for programming, matlab and other school stuff. On my PC I use windows because muh games
Works like a charm.

>daily driver

you must be retarded

It's a normalpleb term for primary OS

(Because you are too stupid to even consider the possibility)

>games
>useful and interesting
lol ok

>he doesn't play grand strategies on his box
eww.

>games
>uninteresting
yeah these lines of code are giving me all sorts of jollies.

go fuck yourself faggot. nobody gives a shit what OS you use but you.

I play Stellaris, CK2, EU4 on Ubuntu. HoI4 soon.

I've got CK2, but I've read elsewhere that it's more involved than the EU games, so haven't bothered to really play it. I don't get all that involved in the games I play, I just play a bit after work to relax/avoid doing the dishes.

Been playing Civ5 the past couple weeks, because it was 75% off on Steam to hype up the new one coming out.

Linux has always been a meme and only losers use it

>by your definition
No, by matter of fact.

>97% of the most powerful computers ever created by human kind run linux

>lol but only losers run linux

It is the only OS I have installed on my laptop. And I have an android phone, so you could say Linux is the only OS I use.

>implying bragging about powerful computers doesn't make you a loser

Been solely using Ubuntu for over 5 years now. If anything it's been quicker and easier to setup then windows installations. I've never ran into an issue with lack of a driver. Windows 7 always required me to go to all of these various manufacturer websites to get drivers. Most of the time it required me to use another computer to get the Lan driver. Not sure how windows 10 is now.

All I do it use my desktop for web backend api development. No games, besides the odd AOE match on Lan. I couldn't go back to windows. The environment is to much of a bitch to maintain. Python and Ruby is a joke to setup last I checked.

I use it as my daily driver, my work OS, my gaming OS and on every single server I manage.

Distributions include Gentoo, Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS and Fedora.

Posting this while taking a break from gaming, actually.

Yeah, it does everything I need for daily use whilst being less bloated plus the great feeling that I'm not part of the botnet.

Web browsing, photo editing (Darktable for RAW editing which isn't even on windows), some gaming, Skype (via web app), Discord.

Only reason I boot into windows is to use MSOffice or for playing windows only games.

>but maybe there are 10 people in total on this board that use it everyday
There are more than 10 people in this thread who use it every day, let alone this board.

screenfetch
-`
.o+` user@home
`ooo/ OS: Arch Linux
`+oooo: Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.5.4-1-ARCH
`+oooooo: Uptime: 4d 15h 22m
-+oooooo+: Packages: 812
`/:-:++oooo+: Shell: bash 4.3.42
`/++++/+++++++: Resolution: 2560x1440
`/++++++++++++++: WM: OpenBox
`/+++ooooooooooooo/` WM Theme: modern
./ooosssso++osssssso+` GTK Theme: Cukoo-spit [GTK2/3]
.oossssso-````/ossssss+` Icon Theme: gnome
-osssssso. :ssssssso. Font: Dina 10
:osssssss/ osssso+++. CPU: Intel Core i5-5300U CPU @ 2.9GHz
/ossssssss/ +ssssooo/- GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
`/ossssso+/:- -:/+osssso+- RAM: 884MiB / 7672MiB
`+sso+:-` `.-/+oso:
`++:. `-/+/
.` `/

I use Ubuntu GNOME as my daily driver and it has never failed me, only thing that have failed me is AMD's drivers (or lack there of).

Have had to reinstall after an upgrade because the drivers didn't support the newer x11 version.

This is the reason I now use the open source drivers and the reason I'm going nvidia next time I buy a new gpu

Linux is used by:

>Every supercomputer
>The vast majority of servers
>The vast majority of phones
>The vast majority of embedded devices
>The personal PCs of all competent sysadmins

Once you add BSD to the mix, you also get
>The vast majority of programmable routers etc.
>The vast majority of gaming consoles

Meanwhile Windows is used only on mommy's personal computer and inside large, old businesses.

I hope you don't program.

>there are cucks here that don't run Linux on their routers

>People generally just install it, keep using Windows, then only use it when their friends or family are over to impress them.
Who does this other than your own teen ass self?

i use I but im a broken soule,,

>People generally just install it, keep using Windows, then only use it when their friends or family are over to impress them.
I've never seen anyone do this.

Where is your evidence?
No evidence

Sup Forumsents, this is obviously a troll thread designed to do nothing more than waste your time. Just stop replying or don't reply in the first place.

A quick Google search is all that is needed to answer the initial question, or lurking on this board for more than 3 minutes.

This argument was true 10 years ago, not now. Steam games are constantly launching on and gaining Linux support.

Lots of people do. I run Ubuntu on my desktop, netbook, and a raspberry pi which I use as a seedbox and NAS.

I installed Windows 7 for the first time ever last week. (In a VM, not a real install obviously)

>Hardest part of the initial install was entering the product key correctly.
>"Product key registered!" - thank fuck now fuck off
>Reboots twice before I even get a desktop.
>IE's Ctrl+L creates a pop up URL window.
>Searching for microsoft security essentials in Bing gives you blatant viruses in the top paid links. This was like a week before microsoft recently said they would crack down on it, so hopefully it's better now.
>"TIME TO AUTHENTICATE YOUR INSTALLATION!!" - what the fuck I already registered tho.
>Can't run the programs I want because updates haven't finished.
>Have to restart after every update. Like a billion updates after downloading the current MSDS version of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
>"YOU HAVEN'T SCANNED FOR VIRUSES YET" - I just fucking installed yesterday and haven't finished updating yet, fuck off
>Have to browse websites and download exe/msi files like a pleb, can only visit trusted websites since "NOT PROTECTED" keeps flashing in the bottom corner.
>"GET THE WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE!!!" - Fuck off, I thought I authenticated already!
>Ignore updates for a moment to run a virus scan so it will stop reminding me.
>"NO VIRUSES FOUND!" I know, now shut up.
>Still more updates, but can't give enough fucks.
>Finally install windows-only dev tools that I originally made this VM for.
>"ONE OR MORE COMPONENTS NOT FOUND"
>Install visual studio isolated shell because apparently that is necessary and broken by default.
>Still haven't gotten shit to work.

>I bought extra RAM for this.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trend starts accelerating too, because multi-platform in other applications is basically assumed these days.

It'd be cool to see high-res computer versions alongside low-res smartphone versions, so you could save your game on your computer at night, and pick it up again in the morning on your phone in the maglev taxitron 4000 on the way to work.

Literally google any of these

>Every supercomputer
Look at TOP500

>Vast majority of servers
Do a WWW scan

>Vast majority of phones
Android

>Vast majority of embedded devices
Should be obvious

>Personal PCs of all competent sysadmins
Ask around

>Programmable routers
DD-WRT etc.

>Gaming consoles
Wii, Sony

How else can software projects use linux ? As a fucking library to do string formatting ?

What's wrong?

I don't know about servers. But pretty sure ps4 is closed source os not linux. Xbone is Microsoft based making the majority of currently used gaming consoles. Phones is a out 50 50 with android selling 51.3 percent.

So yes Linux is common but don't pretend other os are not as common and much more common outside of the tech circlejerk community.

He didn't say the PS4 runs Linux, he said it runs BSD, which 5 seconds of Googling would have told you was true, if you weren't mentally retarded.

linux is better for literally anything but gayming or office settings where they require you to use microshit

Sup Forumsnon reporting, I use debian linux on my laptop 24/7 and dual boot Win 7 as a secondary OS on my desktop. My win7 partition is dusty as hell since all my games work on linux and most apps work okay with wine.

Linux on my laptop : browsing, some games, work, studying, entertainment. Linux on my desktop : photo editing, video editing, some games.

I got really tired of Windows. I don't think I need HD Premium Extreme Limited programs anymore. I can do my work on Linux, without distractions. I enjoy my setup. :)

I've been having more and more problems with Windows. I've had to replace hardware because it was incompatible with "critical" updates, do system restores frequently, and do a clean reinstall of windows multiple times.

About a month ago it finally got to where it wouldn't even let me reinstall windows from CD/USB so I went ahead and installed Ubuntu. Everything worked out of the box, I was able to reinstall the hardware I had to remove, my speakers work for the first time in years, the computer boots up in 30 seconds, and over half of my steam library is still available.

Overall 9/10 would recommend.

True but it's still not quite there yet.

>daily driver
THIS IS WHAT WANGBLOWERS ACTUALLY BELIEVE HOLY SHIT

No, they don't. The only reason you think anyone does is because this is what YOU do, so you figure everyone else is doing the same.

I use it as a daily driver because windows is just...
Crappier
I personnaly use Debian

I use ubuntu. I agree with this guyExcept for the gaming thing it's great not having to worry about malware, viruses like on windows.
>but the gaming thing is really fucked up.

One year since my start of Linux only here, no regrets

I have been using Linux as a "daily driver" since 2007, way before coming to Sup Forums

Haha

>but the gaming thing is really fucked up.
If you're concerned about gaming, you can just go for a Windows/Linux dual boot or stick to wine.

I got so sick of Windows a long time ago.
> Vulnerable
> Bulky = glitchy
GNU/Linux is where it's at. I don't care for OSX either.

I've been using linux for 6 years and let me tell you. Linux is great but ultimately you could accomplish similar kind of stuff on any OS. The trick is to learn programming and learn how the shell on your os works.

I've been using Ubuntu as my daily driver everyday since last Christmas and I've ran into only a handful of problems. It's confusing as fuck and the terminal shit males no sense. Also some features suck on Linux as opposed to windows but fuck windows so I'm staying with Linux.

or if you want to get anything productive done. Linux is perfect for those who have all the time in the world, but for those who want to get something done, not linux.

Of course

Just a meme

I do lots of infosex and low level prog so linux a best. I keep Wangblows on my desktop for gaymen though. Everything has it's pros and cons

Yes, all of my machines are running on Debian only

Where do you think you are?

Yes. I use gentoo.

ur dumb

you shouldn't be worrying about maleware or viruses on windows at all

and the reason there aren't any games on linux is because .net and directx is closed source proprietary apis by microsoft which are leading the market, and only run on windows. So of course there is barely anything, you should not be surprised.

Literal child

I used it for years, starting with Ubuntu and eventually moving to Arch. Only reason I'm using Windows 10 now is because I moved to a rural area and Hughesnet is a bunch of kikes, so I can't deal with slow daily updates. I'd go back of I had a better ISP though.

>Daily driver
Stop thinking in newspeak and maybe you'll join us in the rabbit hole some day.

>and the reason there aren't any games on linux is because .net and directx is closed source proprietary apis by microsoft which are leading the market, and only run on windows. So of course there is barely anything, you should not be surprised.

Devs could easily port their games to Loonshit seeing how Wii and PS4 use openGL instead of directX.

I've been using it since 2002. I haven't let Windows touch any of my machines since then.

GNU/Linux* - Linux is the kernel. The operating system is GNU.
I use it every day. I have no windows partition. My mother uses her laptop with only xubuntu installed.

No, not a meme.
>only 10 people
lol. So if someone uses another operating system then you that personal automatically loses there sanity?

I use linux because penguins are cool.
Get it? Penguins. Snow. Cool.

Debian with Windows for gaming

Game devs don't want to deal with loonix users and their billion and 1 special snowflake distros.

will never unsee
thank you based user

>The operating system is GNU.
1990 wants their definition of an operating system back, maaan.

99%+ of gamers on the Linux platform are probably using only the 3-4 most popular desktop distros.

I only use Linux. I don't enjoy wasting my time fucking around with gay ass nsa shit and having no fucking software that works on shitdoes

Yes the only time I don't is to play gaymes

fuck, they even sound alike.

For sure I use openSUSE for personal and business purposes with a fraction of the problems I had with Window 7 which I only keep on dual boot for a few games.

It makes it a lot easier when you have a good DE and programs that are browser based.

Linux is my "daily driver". Although I use a cuck VM to contain windows