Let's discuss PC cases, Sup Forums

Let's discuss PC cases, Sup Forums.

What's your current case?
What features are essential for you?
What features make a case a no buy?
Favourite brands?
Any recommended cases that have bottom mounted PSU with filtered intake and option for an intake fan, as well as top exhausts?
Recommended silent cases?

I'm out of the loop at the moment because I haven't bought a case since 2009, when I got my Antec 300.

Still rocking an Asus p180 from 2005.

I have a Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62 but I'll change it soon for my next PC build (x99 platform)

I'm thinking about Fractal Design cases , and I like the R5 Window and ARC XL , don't know what to choose.

>What's your current case?
Silverstone Fragbox, pic related. 2/10, would not recommend. Shitty airflow, most components are perpetually too hot, a bitch to open/close. Looking to upgrade after 5 years.
>What features are essential for you?
5.5in bays. I realize it's fashionable to forego an optical drive these days, but personally I couldn't live without one. Also, I have acquired a 5.5in "SATA switch", which allows you to select which HDDs have power manually via buttons on the front of the case. You can dualboot without messing with a boot loaders.
>What features make a case a no buy?
Not having 5.5in bays, crampedness. When I got my Fragbox, I thought having a portable SFF case would be great. The mobility is nice, but the poor airflow and inaccessibility of the components is just awful.

Does anyone know of any ATX cases where the motherboard lays flat, but also has a full complement of 5.5in bays? The only such case I can find is the Caselabs Mercury S8, but $400 is absurdly expensive.

Aerocool Aero-1000

Not a lot of cable room and I don't know how I'm going to replace the front fans once they're done.

Going to replace that case in the near future once I have a job

Essential features:
1 meter of space behind the back-panel and those rubber grommet things so I can somewhat cover up my garbage cable management.

ffs why are cases that take EEB so fucking huge

i don't want 200 hdd racks, just a tower i can stuff a workstation board and water loop in for dual cpu glory

any dual-cpu anons here? what are you using?

that actually looks pretty slick

Anyone know if a 4U server case WITHOUT 80mm fans in the rear? I'm considering putting my next PC in a rackmount, but I don't want noisy as fuck 80mm server fans, and putting it in a closet isn't an option.

Considering Silverstone's Milo ml08 for an airportable Mini-ITX build

Bought a case that fitted my mb, thats all I cared about.
Im not arsed about fancy lights all over it and shit as it sits under my desk

Like I'm also still rocking an Antec P180.

I bought this case intending never to buy another case again, though I had lots of internal drives and components then. These days I just have a graphics card and an SSD, everything else is on a Synology 4-bay NAS.

I've been thinking of going to MiniITX but it's a large outlay for new mobo, CPU and RAM. I'd probably get a Node 304 so I can use a full-time height cooler or an AIO.

Just unplug the fans?

whatever anyone does

do not get nanoxia, its a shittier version of fractal in every way.

>Just unplug the fans?
I worded my comment poorly. I meant "Does anyone know of a 4U server case with 140/120mm fans instead of 80mm fans in the rear"

Maybe I could get away with just having 2-3 120mm intake fans with no exhaust fans, but I'm concerned heat would become a problem given the confined nature of rack-mount cases.

IDK if they have different ones, but the only ones stocked near me are 10edgy shit with claw marks, I would never buy something that embarrassing looking anyway

Deepcool Tristellar

claw marks?

I have the DS1 which looks nearly identical to the Define R4, but its just shit compared.

Lian Li DK-03X

A quick Google search for "4ru 120mm" found the Astrotek AT-4U22ATX.

This shit.

I see they have normal cases though too.

looks like mad catz' logo, absolute garbage

what in god's good name is that monstrosity?

just ordered an air 540.

Saw one at a LAN party and its was so fucking clean inside w/o the psu and shit

Bitfenix shinobi

Thanks i might consider this next

I guess because nobody has told me how much of a retard I am yet it's not a terrible idea?

How will you cool it?

If only theyd let you put some 120mm fans as intakes in the front to the right there, add more 3.5 hdd slots on the same side there and stop fucking wtih 140mm fan positions, so you can have 3x 140mm intake on the left instead of 2, aaaaand let you have side intake/exhaust plus bottom intake/exhaust

Oh and make it 1-2cm wider so you can use NORMAL 140mm fans as exhaust in the back

it would be an absolute monster then, massive cooling and quiet as shit as all fans could just run sub 800rpm

Pic related. Corsair Carbide 400C

Solid build, cable management, dust filters. In that order.

These days? Big cases with lots of wasted space. I looked for something just big enough to hold what I had with good airflow.

>Favourite brands?
Cooler Master has always had good cases for the money. Lately I've noticed Phanteks cases have some good features at low price points too.

>Any recommended cases that have bottom mounted PSU with filtered intake and option for an intake fan, as well as top exhausts?
That matches the description of my case, I'd certainly recommend checking it out. That said, it matches the description of several cases. I can't think of anything specific off the top of my head. I think the S340 had filters too maybe? Most modern cases have top fan mounts and bottom PSU mounts. Lower center of gravity I guess.

>Recommended silent cases?
There's a version of the Carbide 400 case with sound dampening panels instead of the side window if that's what you're after.

NZXT Manta, I really like it, the fit and finish are awesome.

But it is very large for a mITX case and not all will like the curved aesthetic

in my defence, it was the cheapest full-tower

Rosewill Blackhawk

Buttons and plugins on the top. If I had my USBs and shut on the side I'd probably break shit by accident.

Lack of room and lack of cable managing.

>Favourite brands?
Rosewill I suppose.

>Any recommended cases that have bottom mounted PSU with filtered intake and option for an intake fan, as well as top exhausts?
Yeah the Blackhawk.

>Recommended silent cases?
Blackhawk or most Cooler Master cases.

I-BOX FORNAX 5002 m-atx
I wish to never buy it
I need big tower not some shity m-atx

This was my thought too. Maybe he's running some fanless Atom.

The 400q looks pretty good, but I guess if I want a silent case I'm going to have to sacrifice airflow. Ideally I'd have the bottom of the case be my intake for air with the top being exhaust, as that's just the way heat travels and would be more efficient. But most, if not all the silent cases I've looked at have the top and bottom sealed off with the front and back wide open.

If anyone knows of any cases that fit both silence and bottom to top airflow I'd appreciate it.

My current case is the NCase M1. My passed three builds have all been ITX. Basically my requirements are full size GPU support, (now 240mm radiator support, or more), one SSD and one HDD. It's my favorite case I've ever owned.

I've owned some pretty popular cases too. Corsair 600T, Corsair 550D, SilverStone FT02, In Win 901, and worked in dozens of others. I like Corsair's cases for the price a lot. I'm doing a build for a friend in a Phanteks Evolv case soon, pretty excited for that.

The lack of fan mounts is a bit of a worry, I'm hoping that the segregation of the PSU, main board and GPU will assist getting fresh air to all components, but I'd be relying on a good, squat CPU cooler.

I like this, got a quality finish
Do not like the price

Corsair 900D. Large enough to hold several small dachsunds, and great for cable management.

You literally want a fractal case

Current case is a Fractal Design Define R4. I like it but there are some caveats. The hard drive cage sucks at stopping vibrations and the plastic front panel rattles like crazy because of said vibrations.

It is solvable by getting 2,5" hard drives or just going with SSD only.

I will probably move to mini-ITX once Zen comes out. I've been an ATX man all my life so there is a lot of new computer cases in the mini-ITX category which is both intriguing and interesting. Either the Fractal Design Define Nano S or maybe the Node 202 or 304.

The case was a bit expensive, but so is this whole build, so it's all relative.

A lot of people put some awesomely high end machines into crappy cases. And it kind of ruins the whole build if you ask me. Like two GTX 980's and running a single, shitty, TN panel at 1080p for them.

Fractal core 1100 or whatever the fuck the core matx is. 0/10. No wardrobe bays, cheap feeling, no cable management. Nothing really.

The only real issue I've found with it is that the finer details like the joints being too visible and the coat of paint being sort of cheap looking.
Hard to explain.
That and the plastic window scratches really easily.

Good point. I guess you get what you pay for. It has a pretty solid frame. The size, and looks is perfect
Thanks for the extra pics, i have noted this one down

I have plenty more should you like. The case even has CD support if you get something like a slim slot loading CD drive. I've had to remove mine, but, hopefully when/if I change to a Corsair SF600 I can put it back in. The case supports "SFX-L" power supplies, but using them with a full length graphics card makes fitting cables a real bitch. And fitting the card itself difficult. So, I had to get a bit creative with cable management.

SilentiumPC Regnum RG1, may not be the best case in the world, and i know that this might be one of rebranded chinese chassis, but it gets its job done. And it cost me 120 PLN (Google tells me that 120 PLN=30,47$, yeah, polish currency sucks)
>inb4 gettin a case for less than 30 bucks you fuckin pleb

Loving my cm mastercase 5 pro. I'm a sucker for modularity and i love the fact that i can hide my drives into the psu compartment/behind my mobo. Cable management is a bit shitty imho though. But the main reason i got it was the look of it, it fits perfectly the theme i'm going for.

Nox Hummer ZN

Thanks for the conversion

>Silverstone FT01 from 2008
>Pants on head retarded top fan keeps rattling
>Silly design decisions
>everything broken on it almost
Still holds up suprisingly well considering how much i abused it but if i was designing it i'd change alot

Watching a few vidyas now. Yeah i am not sure about a slim, it is a nice add on thou. Will stick an ssd in that spot.

that actually looks pretty good

You can also sneak an SSD in on the otherside of the front tray, which I did. I still have plenty radiator clearance, also.

This but I felt jewed that they didn't include two more drive cages and extra filters

Yes you seem to get quite creative with this. That fits great.

Well that is different

If I had my CD drive in the case, and MAYBE if I was lucky to fit a second SSD stacked on top of the one I just showed you, I'd basically have the case filled as much as I could, with it's current layout. There's quite a few options though.

My trusty Phanteks case

FT01B here again

GRRR who the fuck designed the top fan its been driving me nuts since ive had it i just took it out

Cant think of what else to do other than to just make up my own bracket as their one is useless

QUAID START THE REACTOR

fractal r5
essential features: clean looks (non gaymer), filtered intakes, black interior (looking at you lian li), bottom mounted psu, non retarded layout
favourite brands: fractal & corsair
that's a very broad description, a lot of cases have this
>recommend silent cases?
fractal r5, bequiet cases, nzxt has some too. I'm not too sure if the padding makes a big difference in making the case quiet though, prob makes a minimal difference. It's all about making sure your fans are quiet

If ur gaming comp don't look like this than you're doing something wrong

AYY LMAO

someone call Ripley, and frag that bitch

Deep Silence and R*'s are completely identical quality wise, in others word: terrible. Its quite obvious they come from the same manufacturing line.
Thats what you get by manufacturing products in mainland China.

current rigs are a Fractal Arc Mini and Corsair Air 540

I wish the Air 540 was a little deeper so it could take 12x13" EEB motherboards, it'd be awesome for a small-ish dual cpu setup

Arc Mini is a great quality case but it's nearly 20" deep, pointless for matx unless you're filling it with 3.5" hdds. I've got a 3930K in there that I think I might rebuild into the Air 240 cube instead so it can fit in the bookshelf next to my desk and save some space.

Looking at a Phanteks Enthoo Pro next because I want to go dual cpu and it looks like it'll fit that and some serious watercooling to become my new workstation

I want to do an M1 build maybe around end of year too, once it's easy to get hold of these newer gpus and a zen or kaby lake cpu. Would be nice to have a quiet, compact watercooled vidya setup

Found an old Shuttle at a thrift store for 20 bucks.

Gutted it, and am going to build an itx build in it.

This is the size I think is acceptable for itx, now I'm just waiting on my flex PSU.

> I too worry about my computer case being detected by radar.

I love the way this thing looks. Definitely using this for my next build.

I like plain looking cases myself. I'm not into real fancy stuff. Long as it works it's all good. The one in this pic is one of two cases I'm currently using. One houses my desktop pc, the other my server. Sadly it's discontinued so I can't buy more,lol
I still have two cases from 2003ish that are PC Power and Cooling brand mid towers.

To be fair, compared to the custom builds around that time where people were going for acrylic cases and shit, it was a pretty spiffy looking case. Not like that hideous triangle abortion they use now.

>I love the way this thing looks. Definitely using this for my next build.

I SWEAR I have read this exact sentence a million times in Sup Forums. Seriously, if you're going to advertise by doing this fake "you post the image and I will causally say I like it", at least do it without copy/pasting so blatantly. It's getting annoying.

Carbide 400r

Was doing my first proper build and wanted a bigger case

So, the size mostly when it comes to functionality. And it looks bretty good, I'd say

Was deciding mostly between this and the 500r, which had a fan controller on the front panel iirc. But I thought it was a bit too bulky, and the edgy edges were a bit meh

They don't get paid for creativity user

I don't think shills own common phrases like that.

Is there any advantage to getting a windowed version of a case?

Go ahead, make fun of me.

corsair 600r. first the plexiglass panel made noises, so i loosened the screws. A nice case for any upgrade.

[spoiler]thanks linus[/spoiler]

I got this one, I thought of going with the silent version but I already get high temps in this case which is well ventilated.

The price I pay for living in a place without windows nor AC.

Fractal Design Define S
Intake filters and good cable management
No intake filters, and hard drive mounts that don't face outwards.
>Favourite brands?
Fractal and Corsair

I actually have the silent version of the S without the window and it's quiet as fuck. I set it on the desk next to the display and normally don't hear it unless the GPU is going full blast. Use Noctua fans for intake and CPU cooling for even better silent computing.

getting a m-atx case, looking for a dual chamber design, so far thinking about corsair air 240, any other suggestions?

>Is there any advantage to getting a windowed version of a case?
You... can see inside the case?

Purely for appearances.

I want to get a case with tempered glass but all the ones I see are too big, just are just plain retarded designed. I was looking at the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv matx version and looks good but the thing is I don't trust the acrylic side panel it has. I don't mind spending good money on a case but most are plastic ass. Anyone can recommend some for a build it can't go over 17" deep because space issues.

lian li pc 08swx
or
caselabs mercury
if you want to throw money at the problem.
Thermaltake has a whole line of dual chamber cubes too, they look nicer the the corsair.

Thank you user, I'm not much of a guts person so windowless it is

gaymer 12yo led lights can be seen

but youll ger more noise.

I absolutely love this case for cable management because I'm incredibly lazy. I need to get a no windowed panel for it though cause I've got random colored components and I don't like showing them off.

I'm still using a CM Stacker 810 that I bought in 2007. At least it has good airflow, room for a lot of HDDs, and EATX support. Replaced the aging CM fans with BitFenix and Noctua fans.

recommend me a mid-tower case with carrying handles?

I currently have pic related, suits me well but I could go for something smaller. I don't really need all the 5.25" bays or top fan

The only other cases I've seen with decent handles are the older Mac Pro case, but I do not believe they are strictly ATX compatible for my hardware without requiring modifications to the metal.

>Antec 300

I'm so sorry.

antec 300 is a perfectly fine budget case.

About to get Corsair Carbide 300R for my new PC.

corsair c70?
I have no experience with it but looks like what you want.

off topic

Whats the deal with PSU requirements. Why does the 970 want a 500w, but when I analyze my build the draw is sub300?

Does an average person have like, 12 hdds drawing power?

Or is it because PSUs are more efficient towards half draws?

I like the handles but man this case is ugly.
Looks like an ammo box with a plastic window.

bit phoenix has a few cases with handles

A 500watts PSU don't reallly draws 500Watts, even high quality ones usually only pull like 430watts or so.

My 600Watts PSU can only provide 460-watts.

Amperage and all that.