Why do Google and Microsoft only hire people from top universities...

Why do Google and Microsoft only hire people from top universities? Is there any reason not to hire independent programmers with degrees from lesser institutes, or degrees in different fields with significant experience? Anyone wants to share their experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/google-hiring-non-graduates-2013-6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No one wants neet basement dwellers from an anime board

>Why do Google and Microsoft only hire people from top universities?
False

Back-door dealings

Proof?

I interviewed with Google for a seti position, but didn't get the job. I studied EE and was contacted by one of their recruiters on LinkedIn.

businessinsider.com/google-hiring-non-graduates-2013-6

They hired Moot.

> who is joot

A bunch of my friends and I were hired by Microsoft this year. We all go to BYU. I don't think that's a top university (It's tuition is only 5k a semester. 2.5k if you are a member of their church)

OP is being a fag again

You are confusing two things:
1. Check your facts, their false
2. While its not the truth, they do hire MORE people from top academic facillities.
Why you ask? Maybe most of them are just better?

Grow up

what did you bring to the table?

I think they are like any other company and look for people who have a certain list of skills that are required for a position, and then try to assess the proficiency of the applicants. People from my school have been interviewed, no one has been hired to my knowledge. My school definitely isn't classified as one of the top institutions, not by far.

How do you know that they only hire from top schools?

Around 2 years of being a web developer for the school and a recommendation from my friends who interned at MS before. My ~2.3 GPA didn't matter/wasn't even asked for. I did the internship for 3 months and they liked me, so they extended me a full time offer.

Alright nice to hear, good job user! What's it like Microsoft? What are some of your advantages?

In terms of what they straight offered me (without getting too specific):
Pay (6-figures)
Stock options (around 1/2 a year's pay)
Signing/Starting bonus (around 1/8 a year's pay)
Relocation offset (5k or all-expenses paid movers + 30 days in a hotel)
Health/dental

At work:
It's pretty nice. Two desktops with top tier xeon processors (for compiling. Compiling from scratch for my team's work takes around an hour or two), and a surface pro 3. Dual monitor and basically any hardware you want. I've got a shared room, but it's much better than when I was in a cubicle at my old job. Any beverage unlimited free forever. The campus and buildings are nice too. The people are nice and fun to talk with.

Hours are entirely flexible. Essentially as long as you're in by 10 to 11 and don't leave until 4ish you can pick any time you want as long as you're doing your job and there when meetings/when people need you. I generally went with 9-5. 2 weeks vacation a year? I can't remember the exact amount.

The stuff you work on is also interesting. At my internship I worked on some pretty big UI stuff that I was surprised that they would give me. If you use Microsoft instead of Apple/Linux it's extremely likely that you have directly used what I have coded. It's pretty cool to know a ton of people will use what you work on. You are given lots of freedom to work as well. They have hackatons and you can pretty easily voice your opinion and are respected, even as an intern.

However, Microsoft is so big it's run like a large collection of small businesses, so your experience may vary

>only

You're still starting your working life with 50,000 dollars in debt.

>two weeks vacation
>fake flexi-time
Is this common in Murica? Sounds like Soviet

Damn I am getting old when nobody calls out the newfag for not knowing who moot is.

Implying 50 large is anything.

2x college dropout and Sr service ops fte here.

Fuck Microsoft and the h1b visa program, but they pay me well, and Boeing / Amazon isn't a whole lot better.

Go on LinkedIn and search.

> experience may varry based on org

Can confirm. PSS support is shit. OSG is pretty decent, but fuck huge. MTE was the most fun I've ever had at work.

>hb1 visa
Do they hire white Europeans as well or do you only want Pajeeet's

I go to the Bothell campus of UW, and there's a ton of people taking CS classes working towards their BS and already work at Microsoft.

One of my coworkers was British, so yes, white Europeans as well.

I did not go to a top university... It is well known, and the CS program is considered good, but not as well regarded as MIT or Berkeley and so forth. A couple of my classmates went to Microsoft and some went to Google.

I really don't get the obsession with working for MS/Google... They pay well and the work is probably interesting, but there's tons of other companies that pay well and have interesting work. It's basically an attachment to a brand.

I work for a small company. My advice to OP would to look at the pay and benefits and work environment, and stop worrying about the name so much.

thanks for sharing. i have a question for you.
what is your reaction to this image?

0 dollars in debt user. I've never been, never will be.

Not that user, but this is bullshit. Someone trying hard. Code check ins are never handled like that, and commits are gated.

The first image has some truth to it, but I can't speak for the dark themed stuff. The whole XAML, resource ID, C++, Hooks, is in there but a lot is exaggerated or untrue. I didn't need 2 separate compilers, error messages are informative and always explain what went wrong. Files were broken up into pieces that make sense and are

They hire kids from all over if you are good enough, I know a few people from upstate NY who worked at M$ as their first job out of school. They definitely hire a lot from UW but that probably has something to do with it being close and having well known curriculum to them.

>M$
woah someone's edgy!

Yeah, and it is (You).