How much do you spend on your ESCAPE PROJECT?

How much do you spend on your ESCAPE PROJECT?
By escape project I mean something that you are working on apart from job's work which you also see as an opportunity to get income from and give you a way to quit your job and pursue it long time.
An example would be I am software developer and currently having a steady income but I want to sell my own products so I am working on shaping my own idea into a final product which I can sell.

Its not work life balance anymore. Its job and side work balance.
I do it in weekends and after coming from office.
How does /g manage this kind of situation.

I commit to working at least 30 minutes every day. If I get into flow then I can turn 30 minutes into multiple hours, or if I'm burnt out/underperforming I can call it there since I agreed to make it at least 30 minutes. I also DO NOT skip documentation, especially when it comes to diagramming how components will interact.

Did you read Design Patterns ?

bump for interest
NEET though

bump

I spend all day contemplating if i should kill myself and reading shitty scifi/fantasy.

My escape project became my main job. So nowadays it doesn't feel much of an escape project and i also find myself dislike this project quite a lot.

Now i'm in search of another escape project. Usually i work on escape projects at least 2 hours daily since it keeps me motivated

Yeah, I spend quite a bit of both time and money on my escapeproject.
Quickstory short: I am a senior dev in London based startup. However lately it has gone to shit with both quality of work, quality of employed programmers and the project itself. What happens now is that I spend 3-4 hours daily coaching junior developers and remaning 4-5 hours on coding per se. I am at work from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm and not a minute longer because I stopped giving a shit about this company just like they stopped giving a shit about me.

I usually sit down to my own project from 6pm to 9pm-10pm. I am a backend dev so I basically paid someone for the design per se and am doing the frontend with ReactJs and producing the styles from the design myself. Hopefully my latest project will be released next saturday. Then if it catches I will take care of the technological debt.

Sideproject spends:
> 3-5 hours during the week
> 8-10 hours during the weekend
> around 200$ monthly for VPS + DB hosting (but will be switching to cheaper one soon)
> a few hundred bucks to spend for design/frontend help from time to time

One of my released scrapper based sideprojects is giving me around 100$ net monthly. I need to learn about SEO as my knowledge of this really suck dicks.

>I spend all day contemplating if i should kill myself and reading shitty scifi/fantasy.

You have to break out of that cycle.

>per se

stop that, you English cunt.

I spend about 2 hours every weekend looking for aspiring musicians in the Japanese amateur scene and offer them a professional website for basically free. Making these sites usually takes me a week if I use all my free time. Most of them are really thankful and I enjoy designing the whole thing so that it suits their personality and needs.

It's not your typical escape project, I just hope that one of them makes it really big and returns the favor. One of them already has an audience of ~400 people at her solo lives, and her first official album is scheduled to be released in September. She recently got a gayass producer who informed me that I wasn't needed anymore. I can't really do shit about it either, he offered her professional photo shootings, TV commercials, connections, and probably dozens of other things I don't even know about. I just hope she will remember me after she gets famous.

I'm not british lol. Don't offend me like that.

No, why

I like how you post an image containing a character from a game that has a hard time doing precisely that.

Its required for escape project

You need to read it? Or I have to? I'm already familiar with design patterns. I'm confused.

I dnt have software design knowledge . Should I consider looking into it before blindly making my own product? Will that help?

Depends. If you are on junior level your code will be shit no matter what. The best way to get used to and learn design patterns is by practice.
That's where your daily job job should come into. If you are making monkeycode here just change the company.

Also I still have my junior project up and living. As long as you have the logic written and working refactoring in the future is a piece of cake.
Done is better than perfect.

It depends on what your product is. The solutions to some problems aren't necessarily pattern-based and require formal knowledge in special topics.

>work as "tech guy" in a company full of people with economy background
>programming code is like chinese to them
>I don't even worry about opening my "work tab" anymore when someone enters my office
>"hey user.. wow, that looks interesting"
>"uhm yes, its a metafied spoof complier for an xyz-triggered device. VERY complicated."
>"oh, wow. Could you help me with this problem here?"
>"Oh well, I'm very busy right now.."
>"I-I see. It's not urgent, maybe you have time next week?"
>"Uhm.. OK, it's gonna be tight schedule, but but I like you. Let's talk next tuesday."
>"You're the best, user!"

At this point I don't even care about someone finding out.
I fix their shit, do want they want and don't get payed too much, so I guess it's a perverted win-win after all...

I have two pretty much finished projects lying around on my GitLab server that could be exploited commercially, but I'm too lazy to make a landing page and billing logic. Also, I'm comfy in my current senior developer position.

I crunched out those projects over a few weekends each, and put some evenings into refactoring, cleaning up, and streamlining deployment.

One of those is actually online and used by a client of mine for a fee, but that's off the books and not really a public release of the service.

I'm also putting off a release because I'm not very business-savvy and the cost of founding a company without knowing what I'm doing is a turnoff.

On the weekdays i work from 8-5 doing hard manual labor but i have to get up at 6 to get ready. I try to put 2 hrs into my C++ engine but i dont know how quality those hours are. Been working on it for years, got some popularity on github.

On the weekends i try to put in 4-6hrs per day but also those hours are semi compromised since im so mentally and physically tired.

>but I'm too lazy to make a landing page and billing logic.
this is the fundamental problem
I don't want to deal with all the shit regarding finding customers, marketing to them, and setting up the stuff needed to give them products and services and receive money from them. It's a giant pain and it's boring.

I have a dynamic budget that adjusts based on other high priorities, but averages about $1000 a year of entertainment costs. I make ~$40,000 per year, but still live with my parents in a high cost of living area and functionally spend very little out side of healthy food and aggressive loan repayment.

Most of my entertainment budget is currently redirected into a savings account as my time and work-space is limited right now. I really want a bigger project to help me relax and sharpen my skills, but 48 hours a week on night shift really messes with things.

Currently waiting on a new hand me down computer with plans to use Emacs to write a massive book. Should be a low cost, yet challenging learning project.

>I make ~$40,000 per year, but still live with my parents in a high cost of living area and functionally spend very little out side of healthy food and aggressive loan repayment.

It is very cost effective and has a number of advantages.

Thanks to all that aggressive repayment I now functionally have zero net debit as my liquid assets equal my standing loans. Which makes me richer than most people, despite that I can't afford a number of common luxuries.

You can never be richer than most people if you STILL LIVE WITH YOUR PARENTS. You're just a poorfag in disguise.

Nah this is pretty smart.
It's better to avoid the debt altogether if you can, but if you've got it, it's much better to pay it off ASAP by living with your parents for a couple of years, than only paying interest on the loans and being covered in debt in 5 years.

Poorfag mentality. Its the same as eating ramen noodles and budget cornflakes with powdered milk everyday and saving up for a 1080ti.

No not really.
It's debt, student debt at that. Student debt is fucking shit if you got it within the past 10 years. Interest rates are shit, tuition costs are inflated out the ass, and you'll end up with a loan that you cannot file bankruptcy for, no asset to sell and recoup the loss, and is larger than your car loan and half your house loan.

Again it's best to just avoid the debt, but if you can live cheap by renting out cheap apartments with other people, or just move back in and pay it off ASAP, do it. Unless you just think the government is going to bail you out of your student loan.

you're clearly reckless and/or have never had anything nearing disposable income

how is this different from

My escape project is related to crypto-currencies, it's going really well but nowhere near being able to live off of it yet.

As for my job... Well, you know that song,
>a job that slowly kills you
>bruises that won't heal

I decided to quit though.

you're a troll or retarded

a 1080ti isn't an 'end', clearing your student debt is

>paying off debt is an "end".
My mom - medical professional - didnt pay off her student debt until she was 45. She was fine. She didnt live with her parents after 18, either. Living under your parents roof means you're a poorfag / manchild

lol, americunt money spending mentality. 2/10 would not speak to again

Live with low costs, yes
Rent, never

Renting can be as bad as interest in many ways, there are a few exceptions but general avoid it unless you got a very good reason.

That doesn't make sense.

I may live with low costs, often incorrectly called cheap, but I do invest in healthy foods. Pound for pound it cost 100% more, but my over all food costs were only 7% more as I was not as hungry, because my body was getting real food. Factor in all the health problems that went away, which also lowered the cost of many of my insurances plans, the removal of prescription medication from my budget, me having more energy and able to get more done. It was well worth the investment. Certainly not cheap.

Also at this point just about any graphics card would be an upgrade as I only have a default one from 2009 in my main setup and my others setups don't have any.

The economic environment is radically different then what is was when your mom did that. Trust me, my secondary degree is economics. Despite what many say things have changes in the last few decades, and will likely keep doing so like most of history has shown.

you're fucking retarded.

he used his mom as an example, my fucking sides holy shit

well played senpai

My escape formula:

1) freelance work
2) smart investments in crypto-currencies and other next gen tech
3) use car as little as possible
4) eat cheap, healthy food
5) live in my own property (no rent)
6) NO CHILDREN

Fuck the system, the biological system that pushes me to reproduce and the capitalist system that pushes me to slave away for some dirty Jew. ( I mean "Jew" metaphorically not as a race , I'm not racist )

I want as much free time as possible to spend on self-education, self-cultivation, my own projects, ideas, writing, reading

>implying there is any escape from this hell

There is escape from saṃsāra

Working on an own smarthome system next to work and uni. I didn't do anything the last two weeks for my smarthome cause I felt pretty down, but usually I work on it every day for about an hour.

>2 entire weeks

What.