Why is HP hated so much?

20 years ago it was one of the most respected tech companies in the world.

It took one woman to run it in to the ground.

Their consumer tier hardware is garbage however their Elitebook and business range is probably some of the best hardware for business.

>Posting from HP EliteBook 840

But it's been over 10 years since she was fired, and their new pcs are still good tier.

Doesn't matter, the damage was done and the internal rot set in

Their laptops are too annoying to crack open

How's the 1366x768 TN screen?

I don't hate them. They are pretty much useless now though. They make a lot of chip consumer plastic shit like most people these days.

They used make quality Unix workstations and servers, sort of like Apple still does today. But they gave up the ghost to the WINTEL monster years ago. For that, I live them the finger. RIP HP-UX, PA-RISC, etc.

When was the last time HP did anything interesting?

I heard Keith Packard works for them now. That's something I guess.

I have a 3 year old elitebook and it's been serving me well.

>But they gave up the ghost to the WINTEL monster years ago.

Makes sense when they did it better for half price

Not a problem considering it has a 1600 x 900 screen and I can hook it up to a docking station in either of my offices.

Still got a HP pc from around 2001 and still works like new.

Except the race to deliver the cheapest products possible has left us with laptops that blow hot dust in our faces and an "operating system" that must be patched every 18 hours.

>Sup Forums only knows about HP computers

>bug fixes and feature improvements are bad

>making something that works is bad and so is complaining about it

wait HP is still making computers?

those were made before HP started sucking. that wasn't made by the HP we all hate now.

once HP started sucking agilent/keysight broke off.

blame carly

Carly gutted HP research and development. This is a fact. I believe HP was having financial troubles before then though. It bothers me that Compaq gobbled up DEC and then HP gobbled up Compaq. I always thought Compaq made better quality business PCs and I still see them as well as IBM computers in doctors offices and places where Office 2000 is their main use.

Yeah, and frankly probooks are probably better than current abominations of a thinkpad. Which is interesting since elitebooks used to be inferior thinkpads back in the day.

You mean their business PCs, because consumer ones are crap

Their consumer machines are utter crap. The only exception to this are their netbooks. The business machines are excellent.

Gaymer kiddos whose only experience with the company is the cheapest shitbox their parents could get for them at Wal-mart. I've always been quite okay with their business hardware, absolutely love their pre-Compaq shit and collect it on the side.

The company really died with its founders, though, and Fiorina's pet project beat it to death and sent it to the graveyard by turning their PC product line into a bunch of cheap badge-engineered Presarios.

I think they're both pretty good, HP used to rip Compaq a new asshole until the latter half of the '90s when they felt on pretty equal footing, both felt very nicely over-engineered to me, though I always had a thing for HP's instrumental aesthetics.

Bigger numbers in a shitty synthetic benchmark taken out of context does not "better" make, neither will a large company really give a fuck about spending $25,000 on a good piece of hardware when the real cost is in software and manpower anyway.

every single enterprise services team i have worked with has been incompetent and has their head squarely up their ass.

t. somebody in the automotive sector.

They don't even make PCs, they just send the external case designs to some chink company.

I worked in a hotel service desk. The house business line is quite solid. Current help desk I work at also uses hp stuff, still quality stuff. Their consumer line is shit though

Fuck you user. It's gonna take me a month to unsee that.

I dug a Compaq AMD DDR3 based tower out of the garbage a few weeks ago. It already had HDMI output with a stock PCIx8 card, but it didn't have an x16 slot soldered on.

When did this cuckery start?

Really shitty cheap cooling on laptops.

They are a computer manufacturer that manufactures terrible computers

It's not really hated in industry/enterprise. Their consumer stuff is mostly garbage, which is expected kind of since they try to be everywhere at once i.e. jack of all trades. Also housefire laptops.

thisRetro HP made some dank ass products.

Because all their products are boring: Laser printers, business desktops, laptops that are just as bad as other major brands...

How's the retarded quality control?

How's the terrible keyboard?

4gb worth of bloatware

The two HP laptops I had in HS, both Pavilion, died within two years, the first from Runescape of all things, the second just plain wouldn't start one day.

My HP Photosmart 3-in-1 printer is loud as shit and it runs out of (very expensive) ink after 10 prints. Whenever I print something with color, these yellow horizontal lines would appear and every troubleshooting thing I did wouldn't fix it.

solder joint failure.. every hp product i have owned has had this type of failure. plus, look at the online stores NE and TD under referbs and who is king?

>Custom/buggy UEFI firmware
Dual-booting Windows/Linux has never been more fun to setup.

This consumer product lines.

They REALLY led the charge on mass-OEM production in China for all their products. Hell, I'd barely even call their consumer products "Designed" by HP at all. They basically come up with a design language, and some "design house" that works with FoxConn/Similar works up some examples, a bunch of people in America give it the thumbs up with some rough specs, and it's off to the assembly line.

Their business class products are a totally different beast, however, and those products are still great!

>Bigger numbers in a shitty synthetic benchmark taken out of context does not "better" make, neither will a large company really give a fuck about spending $25,000 on a good piece of hardware when the real cost is in software and manpower anyway.

All the software is on x86-64 anyway.

Good job on paying $25k for a fucking doorstop.

>Their business class products are a totally different beast, however, and those products are still great!

Irony is that the Elitebooks and Proliant servers are designed by what used to be Compaq

It's gud now with HP 50g or Zbook line

The pavilion series where a nightmare running idle at 80degrees.

PAVILION OVERHEAT CITY
GEE I LOVE MY SCORCHED SKIN JUST BY PLACING MY HANDS ON THE KEYBOARD AND THE SOUND OF JET ENGINE FANS ON MY PAVILION DV7

NOSGALTIC TOO
OH I REMEMBER THE DAYS OF MY DV3
THANK YOU HP FOR KEEPING THE FORMULA THE SAME ALL THESE YEARS

Is OP actually working for HP or is this shit just a meme?

>PROPRIETARY FRONT PANEL MASTER RACE

Fuck my HP Printer man

I know most printers have a maintenance mode themselves that you can manually do which is fine but my god damn Inkjet 6600 won't stop doing maintenance automatically after every print job I do, which discharges ink to clear out air bubbles for better quality prints

I print like 25~50 maximum pages in a month, most of the time 0~1, and all my cartridges are depleted almost instantly then because of this nonsense you can't disable

and I've heard this from two of my buddies who own HP printers as well

because for some reason people buy their consumer models

My first laptop was an HP. Never again. Shit just fell apart one day.

Agreed. HP sucks ass.

>old laptop died
>needed something to finish school assignments on asap
>saw a pavilion g4 on sale at the local best buy for $250
>bought it thinking it would last for at least a year
>it is now over 5 years old and still going strong, despite running at approximately 105 degrees F the entire time

Its nice to win the lottery once in a while.

105ºF is pretty much 40ºC, which almost all laptops run at when idle.
If it exceeds 95ºC, then you should be worried.

Stop printing so few pages.

Printers are like cars; you gotta use them or else everything dries out ad fucks up. 100 pages per month is the break-even point in efficiency.

I sell equipment, and HP consumer stuff has gotten a lot better lately. They've always been better than non-enterprise Toshiba, but the Dell consumer laptops and shit i've been selling have a lot more build problems than HP's.

Carly is a fucking moron and a bitch tho

Techies hate HP mostly because of their printers, they used to be GOAT and then every Tom, Dick and Harry bought one and HP went full on jew mode, ink cartridges cost upwards of $30 per pack. As new models came out it would require well over a minute between print jobs. New printers even expensive ones were gimped from factory to cut off after certain life time page print number.

Their PCs/Laptops were shit tier, their laptops used to be gimped from factory with their shitty L shaped power adapter plug which would break a poorly soldered DC jack on the board, they maintained their design years after this was a well known issue, and were the last ones in the industry to change.

Shit products were kept going because they enjoyed the same privilege as Microsoft and IBM did, no one ever got fired for buying HP.

People blame Carly Fiorina for a lot of that shit, reality is HP was already shit before she took over, people thought she could actually turn it around but all she did was pour gasoline on it and light a match with the let's focus on next quarter profit instead of the next ten years. And all this happened at the same time as the entire business shifted and consumer demand plummeted.

>Get HP DV7 laptop like 8ish years ago
>Battery dies after a year and 2 months
>Massive thermal issues after a year and a half
>SSD helps
>cleaning the heatsink is unnecessarily complicated
>screen has to be removed, along with everything else going down from the top
>Fan is literally the last fucking thing in there by the time you get to it
>Wifi module dies somehow
>Buy a newer N Intel model (previous was Intel too)
>Boot up, no fucking POST
>PLS ONLY USE CERTIFIED HP HARDWARE YOU UDERSTANDN ME YOU FILTHY PLEB?
>Spend hours tracking down some BIOS that's been modded by pops
>That blind faith
>It werks
>Use it a bit more
>Clean fan one more time
>literally throw it in the fucking trash

Never, EVER again.

>users don't handle their devices properly
>shit breaks

HPUX is just retarded

>degrees F

fuck off retard

Because you need some old, decrepit Java IN YOUR BROWSER to manage some of their server products.

At least not a 850. Or 810. Those are beyond shit.
Are you using one with a touch display by chance considering the 1600x900?

The problem with HP for me is that their shit is so locked down. Whitelists, proprietary interfaces, pointless cuts in functionality... I understand they do it because it helps them hit their bottom line so they can offer cheap ass products that still deliver good experiences out of the box, but for people who are more savvy in tech they're a truly annoying company to deal with.

For example, I acquired (stole, tyrone, etc) an HP laptop that has an msata port on it - so naturally, I put an msata SSD in there. But their shitty Insyde H20 bios doesn't allow boots from the SSD, so I have to put my MBR on the mechancial drive and point to an image on the SSD to boot. Not really a big deal, but a pain in the ass to figure out and configure the first time.

I prefer fucking around with Dell, Lenovo, Gateway, Acer, ASUS... pretty much any other major OEM I find less annoying to hack than HP.

HP was elder god tier until the mid 2000s.

Because OP is a fag.

>All the software is on x86-64 anyway.
No, not really, most enterprise desktop software like Catia and Mathematica were multi-platform during the workstation era, or at the very least ran on Solaris and IRIX.

What does HP even do anymore?
All I see are cheap bottom of the barrel shit prebuilts, laptops, and printers designed to waste ink.

see

Good High-end Workstations, Good Servers, bottom of the barrel shovelware pcs. though the HP Stream laptops are good.

At least its not pic related

Their Website is a pain in the ass to navigate (even worse with the split with HPE)

Tell me about it. The split fucked up their driver database too, they used to have shit going all the way back to the fucking original 286/386/486 Vectra era.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/

good luck

I have to use some HP laptop at work, their trackpoint sucks

no shit, lenovo has all the fucking patents

Not their business laptop. From experience from repairing laptops, hp business laptops are the easiest, they are practically tool less for accessing main parts

driver support is shit.
support is shit.
still make good printers though.

Prove me wrong.

They're all shit.

>bad design doesn't cause damage earlier in the products life

Wimin don't seem to pair well
See IBM and Virginia Rometty as another example

>HP
>ever
No thanks

Not their consumer shit, prosumer shit or enterprise shit.

HP is way past their prime in quality
The Compaq merger seems to be the largest turning point to the negative

>HP Stream laptops are good.

wow! what? hold up nigger. hp stream laptops are good? wtf have you ever actually used one for longer than five minutes? friend has one, keyboard is shit, mousepad is atrocious, half of it doesnt register movement in linear areas. it comes with 32GB of HD that you can not expand or alter, theres lots "good" about that laptop, under $200 is one thing, but I would never recommend that POS to anyone, they're better off with a chromebook.

I dropped 2gs on an elitebook. I love it. Running Debian. Best laptop I've ever owned.

Reminder: Hewlett Packard Enterprise is now a separate company from HP.

When you see anons posting photos of their HP Workstations they are referring to machines made by HP Enterprise, not "HP Inc." which is a completely different corporation after the split of "The Hewlett Packard Company" in 2015.

Prior to the split HP's Enterprise division made the z800, z600, z400 workstations and the HP Elitebook laptops of the early 2010s which are all considered some of the best computers made during these years.

their old printers are good too.

Hp proliant's built in botnet (iLO)

my dad works for enterprise and my sister works for consumer.... i can answer any questions any one has.... HP is long gone boyos.

posted from a DV7 that was RMA'd 2 times in the 3 year warranty. Had the battery die out, and then the hard drive spectacularly fail for no reason. but it werks.

its a good laptop, but im probably not ever buying another HP consumer laptop, everyone else in my family have probooks and they rock.

HP printers are good 10/10

going from some of the dankest colculators and electronic measurement tools in the world to being a lowly print shop.... how the mighty have fallen.

you guys all remember when Apple was formed from HP rejects?