At what age did you first build a PC from scratch?

At what age did you first build a PC from scratch?

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I was 16. I regret not doing it sooner, it was a lot of fun.

>saved
More like stole it because he's black. Everyone knows that people don't know how to save money/

6. My dad pretty much just said, build it or you don't get a computer.
Baby-AT 486 system, 8MB RAM, Windows 3.1.

When I was 10, but I was poor so I took two computers apart and mixed parts to make a mess of garbage parts

Rip pentium 4

And now I'm finally making my own pc lel, but I've made a few for people in high school

>tfw fell for the 8MB RAM meme

Stop making theads about him...was funny the first tine but now it's just annoying.

16... and a half!

around 8 or 9

Maybe a better question is "At what age did you finally have the money to put together a PC?"

>At what age did you first build a PC from scratch?
I dunno, but around 10. I had already pulled apart and put back together computers, but didn't have money for parts.

>not posting the front page

15. My father helped me do it. As it turns out I was trying to revive the guts of a 2002 Gateway that died but it didn't have a swappable plate for the IO on the back so we got the dremel out, installed an Athlon 64 processor (forget the number) and a Biostar motherboard (lesson learned on brands for future builds).

Then, at 17: Dad helped again because it was an SFF MicroATX build the size of a breadbox with a full sized GPU. I stupidly ordered a non-modular PSU (another lesson learned, never again), cable management was FUUUUN.

Then:
18: Built one for father, by self
19: Built one for self, by self
21: Brother built one, I helped
24: I built a replacement, by self
25: I helped my younger cousin build one
26: I built my mother a new one, by myself.

Things have gotten easier (largely) with better cases, modular PSUs, more consideration in the design of motherboards so components are less likely to block each other, etc.) and of course age/experience, but there's better resources (youtube tutorials, other sites) and more interest around the topic as well as better hardware and that has made it more accessible.

>builds computer himself
>puts another proud black man out of a job
For shame.

these days building a pc couldn't be simpler, everything is self-configuring, literally just put it in the case, in the only place it will fit, and you're done
installing an os is also almost completely hands-off now, too

Still working on it.

Currently in lengthy discussions with the EPA and HOA about public safety concerns of my wafer growing furnace. They are all over reacting about the hazardous emissions it will make when turned on.

To complicate things the HOA is also still upset that the units load blackout the local power grid during a preheat test. But really it was the power companies fault for not properly building the grid.

I don't know.. 2003 so I must have been 16.

I had a AMD K6-2 350MHz till then, which was a gift from school because I was basically their IT guy.

Haaaa.

I was more interested in the garage and car engines than computers when i was 12.

>talented
>windows 10

Yeah, early SATA days on WinXP with AHCI were fuuuuun unless you had a floppy drive and the drivers (or alternatively just enabled IDE emulation). Modern processors are harder to fuck up with big IHS and zero insertion force.

If you build a PC sometimes the defaults are not optimal though unless you change them (memory will be at a lower clock than you ordered if you didn't change the XMP profile, Compatibility Support Module will be default and you'll install MBR for BIOS instead of MBR/GPT for UEFI, faster booting not enabled, boot order may not be optimal, etc.) but you can still install.

The Windows Vista and up installers were a lot more friendly than XP and below for sure.

I can't even remember. There were always spare pc parts in my basement my dads work was throwing out.

>pentium 4

I remember it was THE SHIT, all the cool kids were bragging about having one.I had a pentium 2 Good times!

WTF? The only problems I would come across was IDE Master/Slave. Everything else was simple. Installing Windows 3/95/98/2000/XP was pretty much hands free.

I'm 30 as of last Saturday. Have built and configured 37 computers.

15, after getting a job

#blacktalent

;D you cant make this up

>be 6
>uncle gave me his old PC
>original TBird Athlon
>was the real shit
>be 8-9 (2005)
>dad decides to get a new PC
>tell him it's cheaper to build your own (keep in mind he's an electrical engineer)
>spec up a sick Athlon 64 build
>he goes out and buys a prebuilt Compaq, but at least it contains an Athlon 64
>tfw didn't get to build my own PC until I was 14

did you actually install more than just new hdd's?
- memory used to have to be installed in same-size pairs
- had to set IRQ jumpers on expansion cards so they don't conflict with each other (and had to configure your OS/driver to use the IRQ you set)
- cpu and fsb clock speeds were set by jumpers on the motherboard, better not get that wrong!
- early windows setup wouldn't even start unless the disk was already partitioned and formatted, that part was expected to be done beforehand in DOS
etc, etc

Most of what you're talking about I didn't have a issue with past 1994.
>early windows setup wouldn't even start unless the disk was already partitioned and formatted
What? Maybe W95/98 but not after that. I wouldn't call that complicated.

I built my first pc when i was 9, muh dad had lots of old broken pc's in the basement and one day i asked him if i could do something with them. With his help i did my first build.

>black people are so incapable they get excited whenever one of their subspecies achieves a minor task white people perform effortlessly on a daily basis

I don't seem to recall having any real issues with any of that. One problem I do remember was needing to get the right sized drives and ram, because for instance my early 386 (I think it was, maybe 286?) wouldn't support over about a 52 meg hard drive, and I was gifted a 56MB one, didn't work.

Back then, size limits were a real thing, but now you don't even need to think about what size hard drive will your computer support.

i'm not saying any of that is /hard/, just that they aren't things you have to consider anymore, it's easier to build a pc now than it was then

>Maybe W95/98 but not after that.
yea, if you try to run setup with an unformatted C:, it will bomb out complaining that there's no space to place temporary files, windows setup didn't yet have a disk partitioning/formatting guide
now you only had to run "fdisk" and "format" from the boot floppy (or cdrom if it's the bootable cd version of 98 and you have a fancy-ass bios with cd boot support), but windows setup doesn't do or tell you that

suddenly i'm reminded of having to manually enter CHS values for disks in bios
i must have suppressed the memory

poor nigga spent more money on the case than the components.

Depends.

11 if you call pulling down and rebuilding the same.
14 otherwise, built my aunties new PC and got paid in her old PC
>P166MMX, 16MB EDO, some janky ass socket7 motherboard, nice case, nice 4MB S3 Trio64V, Nice Diamond monster3D 4MB (Voodoo1), janky ESS sound blaster clone.
HDD was properly fried (screeching noises, motor was gone) saved for a while and got a 20GB Samsung SV2001H.
Eventually got some upgrades on that machine culminating in P233MMX@300Mhz, 64MB SD-RAM, Same 4MB S3 Trio64V, 2x Vooodo2 8MB SLI, AWE32, Same 20GB Samsung + 40GB WD SATA, Some Si3112 based SATA controller + DEC 15" Monitor@1280x1024

I was ~15-16 around the T-bird athlon.
Had an XP 2000+ Tbird for a while.
>My favorite CPUs ever were my Celeron 333 (66mhz fsb, slot1) which with a pin mod did 500mhz on 100mhz FSB easy and My Duron 850 SPITFIRE, because it did Spit Fire. RIP DURON.

Worked at my dads place for the summer and got it so I could play cs 1.6/source in 2005.

Using computers since the 90s and having "generic" hardware problems is why to this day I will not store my shit on a working computer. To much shit can happen and your data is gone forever.

One time I fucked up the partition table on a 4GB hard drive, yeah I had a way to recover it, but no extra hard drives to recover it to, which made it unrecoverable.

Back it up, back it up again on a different hard drive, and back it up a third time for insurance.

you don't need another disk to recover from a bad partition table, it's one of the least damaging fuckups you could do (doesn't affect filesystems or data at all)
you simply need to make a new table with the same values as the old one (or at least with the same starting sector, the size can be different, as long as the start is correct, you can pull the true size from the filesystem metadata and correct the partition size from there)
and if you can't remember the starting sector, there's tools available to blindly scan a disk looking for filesystem metadata

When I discovered my ultimate secret technique of shitting microtransistors.

is there a Sup Forums approved guide to building a computer from scratch yet?
i've been doing part builds for

Yes.
logicalincrements.com
>but it's shit.

1. Honestly how much money do you have?
2. Are you are crybaby pussy faggot who needs new parts, LED light and a mechanical keyboard to function?
3. Where in the world are you?

nobody said anything offensive you retarded SJW nigger

>SLKGIER
>lskfksj skfji
>ksfjskju skfji
>ksfjks ksjgie

What the fuck?

>nigger does something that everyone has been doing for over a decade
>retarded leftists are amazed

/thread

Build from scratch. Offer kids now a days..

wonder if our "wuzz kid" will ever post his speccy or guts to Sup Forums

all we know is "3.2 ghz" and "500 gb HDD", willing to bet on next to no cable management.

17, before that I've replaced various pc parts from my computer on a good handful of occasions.

I still wouldn't know how to do that.

think of it like this, you have a file cabinet full of files, just marked with AA, AB, AC, etc, think of those as sectors
but as the first file, it contains an index, which information is stored on which spans of files (sectors), aka partitions
in this situation, only this initial index file has been messed with, so it's telling you (the computer) to look at the wrong files
the solution is to update the index with the correct information again
and as for the tools i mentioned, that'd be like pulling out each file, and reading it to see if it's describing the beginning of a volume/filesystem

there's actually nothing special about it, any partitioning software does just this, it only touches the partition table, nothing else. people often think of partitioning as being a disk-wide operation, but that's not true, you're only changing this "index", which tells your operating system where to find the volume(s) on the disk

Never, I'm 23 and never get to build one myself for a reason or for another, I disassembled many pcs and torn down many laptops to clean, have a vast knowledge how how pc works and majoring in IE, I could probably build one blinfolded and with my hand cuffed on my back but god damn, my sandy vagina laptop I use for university and work is just too damn good and I have no reason to upgrade, I'm wishing to see something with the new babylake/zen or I'm damned to the same machine forever

Not to mention I offered myself a lot of times to my family/friends when they needed a new machine but they always preferred to just buy a prebuilt or a mac

I was 14, and started with a core2duo and a gt740 4gb. Yes, I was retarded.

i like your dad

18. It was the only time I could afford it

9, not even lying.

PC clones were not a thing before i turned 20, so it was mostly zilog setups i put together.

17, that was 2 years ago
now im a CS student at uni, building my gaming pc made me discover my love for CS

It's a bait thread for Sup Forums spillover

What is this? A niggers newspaper? Why they have sub-humans on their front page?