/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com/
gizmochina.com/

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of May 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
>Google Nexus 7 2016 Release Delayed Due To Android N: Coming With A Cost Effective Price Tag?
thebitbag.com/google-nexus-7-2016-release-delayed-due-to-android-n-coming-with-a-cost-effective-price-tag/153222

>Xiaomi Max – Hands on impressions
gizchina.com/2016/05/23/xiaomi-max-hands-impressions/

>Doogee X5 MAX Pro with MT6737 will be launched by the end of the month

>Lumia smartphones are coming to an end, Microsoft hints
theverge.com/2016/5/18/11699766/microsoft-lumia-phone-brand

>user reviews 35 smartphones
drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMugiNgJ2qtYkJBY0EwQWxCbTQ/view

Other urls found in this thread:

gizchina.com/2016/05/23/doogee-x5-max-pro-mt6737-will-launched-end-month/
androidphonesinnigeria.com/unofficial-6-0-marshmallow-for-oukitel-k4000-pro-via-cm13/
s.aliexpress.com/UvA32yQf
bestbuy.com/site/samsung-refurbished-galaxy-s7-32gb-black-onyx-verizon-wireless/5096600.p?id=bb5096600&skuId=5096600
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What are some good phones with volume rocker on the left side and headphone jack on the bottom that aren't Samsung?

>>Doogee X5 MAX Pro with MT6737 will be launched by the end of the month
Forgot link:

gizchina.com/2016/05/23/doogee-x5-max-pro-mt6737-will-launched-end-month/

Might be a good cheap chink in the

Just bought a z3c for $165. Never had a smartphone before. Did I fuck up?

Z3c is a very good choice for an entry level smartphone.

Though some might disagree about the size since majority here like 4.7"+, it's what's most comfortable for you.

Is it recommended to put cyanogen on it?

Already asked in /sqt but let's try again.
>what's a good torrent client that doesn't ask for hundred permissions on android?

Sure

ttorrent is the most recommended android client on Sup Forums apparently

Neat thanks.

>Using CyanoCuck
Lads that shit hasn't been good since Gingerbread, its run by the ex-CEO aussie troll of Boost Mobile that specializes in tricking niggers.

Nexus 5x

I've been thinking about getting a new smartphone with an microsd card slot. I already have a OnePlus One that works fine and will probably last for a few more years but now I'm wishing my OPO had a microsd card slot so I could store my music.

I could use Google music with uncapped music streaming on my phone plan but Google music's uploader is so buggy for me. Maybe if I convert my music to ogg vorbis -q5 I could fit 2000 songs under 10gb.

Volume is on the right.

Any updates on even the k6000 pro will ship out? I want one but I don't want to pre-order it.

Hi Sup Forums, I don't know a lot about smartphones and I have a question. Why do people say the Moto G is such a good phone when you can have (apparently) better choices from chinese brands like Meizu or Xiaomi? What really makes the Moto G such a good phone as everyone says?

Just ordered a Samsung A5, did i do good?

It's just a meme bro

>still use my trusty old HTC Desire HD
>still on Android 2.2, almost no apps for it
>volume button has fallen off, have to use a app for that
>on/off button is wonky, can't turn screen off, have to use app for that
>lately can't even turn the screen on, have to plug in my USB to get it up
>battery lasts like 15-20 minutes

And still I feel hesitant about buying a new phone because it still technically works.

After like 10+ big falls, no case or screen protector, and me generally not taking care of it the paint have chipped off like fuck, but it still doesn't have a single visible scratch on the screen. Fascinating.

Anyways, I assume the Redmi Note 3 Pro is the next logical poorfag update?

Not having bought a phone since well, fucking forever, is there anything special I should keep in mind? How is the Chinese botnet situation? Rooting?
I only use a prepaid card and live in Europe.

Is it safe to order it from stuff like AliExpress or should I try to find a more "legit" retailer?

don't compare chinese shit to devices marketed for 1st world countries.

Is there any point on spending more than 200 bucks on a smartphone other than gaming and making hipster grade photos?
Personally I just want it to stay updated and responsive enough for basic use; what are some good cheap phones?

>Country
France
>Carrier
Bouygues
>Wanted features
Rootable, SD card slot or at least 32gb and 2gb ram
>Budget
350€, not flexible
>Size
at least 5inch,

Lots of phones under 200 have 13mpix cameras. That's more than my first few digital cameras had.

Get a redmi 3 pro like I did, or an oukitel k4000 pro like my friend did.

The oukitel is cheaper and more durable, but the xiaomi has better specs. Both get similar battery life of around 9-10 hours SoT.

Redmi note 3 pro Prime with 3gb ram

The price on that Oukitel is pretty sexy I have to say. But I feel like I will just end up with a fairly obsolete phone fast.

What is the android update situation for these things? Do they just not care? Do they release 1 or two updates and then call it quits?

If you already consider oukitel get the k6000 pro for >15hours screen on time

Pretty new company hard to tell.

xiaomi doesn't support all 4g bands in france, so no

Updates won't be provided for long, but I didn't think that would matter since you're still on 2.2?

If updates matter, get the xiaomi since its guaranteed the update to marshmallow, oukitel have promised a marshmallow update but no idea if or when it's going to be released.

Or get because even bigger battery and much better specs. Although it's a bit more expensive.

Personally I wouldn't expect many updates to a 90usd phone, so if you receive any consider yourself lucky?

I'm using CAF Chromium m46 builds and it's truly amazing but it got me wondering, has anyone created Snapdragon optimized builds for Firefox? I'd love to have this kinda smoothness with FF instead...

How does it compare to the Redmi 3 Pro? Considering they are around the same price and all.

Screen time isn't as important as the overall longevity of the thing, I don't get new phones very often as you can imagine, so I want it to last. Well as far as I can while still getting poorfag phones.

Ah I see.

>but I didn't think that would matter since you're still on 2.2?
Well I kinda don't want to end up in the same situation where I'm sitting around on a really old version only a short while after I get it.

Oh. Well that's a bit of a bummer. I realize I'm asking a bit for the holy grail, but it would be a relief to know it won't be obsolete in a year or two.

Then turn it around fuckface

how many of you faggots keep a dumb phone along with your smart one
admit it

Iphone SE vs Iphone 6s?
Why should i buy an 6s when i heard you cant even use on jeans?
I want a phone that i can carry on my jeans,clothes ,not on backpack.

I should get one thinking about it.

I realize this is the smartphone general, but are there any decent cheap ones around these days?

is there an autistic databse of phones compatible with CM?

the CM wiki sucks and just posts them in groups of mfg, i want to see them based on "factory unlocked bootloader / rooted" and then its specs

and then also see a list of whether or not anyone is currently working on the phone, and not 1 alpha release that stopped being maintained

at the very least, is there a phone database that says if its booted and rooted and then you know CM vanilla could atleast be loaded

Cheap phones often have gimped, shitty specs and build quality so they start lagging and falling apart in a year or two. Chink phones can be cheap and still solid, but most of them lack updates and are generally overlooked by custom ROM makers due to their diversity and Mediatek chips. There are three phones that might fall into your price category that are solid and have good update support: Nexus 5X is bound to get the best update support, Redmi 3 Pro, which will get frequent updates to it's MIUI interface, but Android version updates get to Xiaomis quite late in general. Third would be one of the Oukitel phones, anons have mentioned they will have support for newer android versions and so far I haven't seen anyone complain about their quality, despite Oukitel being a young phone maker.

androidphonesinnigeria.com/unofficial-6-0-marshmallow-for-oukitel-k4000-pro-via-cm13/

It'll get official update eventually, but honestly I wouldn't expect much past that. They're a new company and they're pumping out more phones than they can afford to keep updated.

K4000, k4000pro, k6000, and k10000 are pretty much identical though so you might get lucky

Why do you care so much about currymod? It's not even good.

I have a nokia 130, but there is a newer model. mine lasts 2 weeks+ before needing a recharge
nokia in general has you covered

I remember cm jellybean on my old HTC desire s. One of my 2 favorite roms.

Testing to see if posting works.

its better than OEM bloatware

So get a debloated rom, better than losing all the functionality and having your camera quality turn to shit.

>dogshit camera drivers
>buggy sensor drivers
>feature barren
>muh freedumz

Yeah, I'd rather have a little bit of bloat and just freeze what I don't use.

Aosp?

again, that requires a database with unlocked bootloader and rooted

which i also asked for

and there are plenty of non-alpha builds for phones, there are betas and some stables, and waiting for OEM security updates is more important than some fucking Instagram post with my camera which CM will provide immediately

>tank build quality
>5'2" 1080p display
>2160p camera
>2GB RAM
>Moto active display
>Moto voice
>AMOLED
>200 dollars
>objectively the cutest Android

Based 2014 Moto X

Wondering if I should return my S7e for a Redmi Note 3 Pro. I don't play games and shit, just texting, web browsing, photo taking (not often).

Redmi NP3 seems too good to be true. Any Americanos using it?

where is the compiled install for my phone?

all i see is walls of text about source code

Nah, rmn3p camera is worse than the rm3p. Plus you'll be getting slightly better battery life on a much larger battery, and you'll miss that amoled

Is there an app that allows you to send SMS messages for free? Google Voice allows you to but it's US only.

It would be an obvious downgrade in everything except battery life and design. Unless the photo taking you mentioned is very casual and only for purposes of social media and noting down stuff, steer away from the Redmi, it's the only weak point it has.

Is this legit? Seems too good to be true, Is the only catch "no updates"?

Free Film Case ! New Original Oukitel K6000 Pro 5.5" MTK6753 Octa Core 4G LTE Cell Phone 3G RAM 32G ROM 6000mAh Fingerprint
s.aliexpress.com/UvA32yQf
(from AliExpress Android)

And does the amplifier matter that much? I listen to a lot of music and enjoy good sounds quality. My Nexus 5 was fantastic, but my Sony Ericsson before that was mediocre.
Is this actually a good amp? Must be if they're advertising it.

What American carriers will the Redmond Note 3 pro even work on?

Tmobile

Nah it's okay don't expect too much
Seems legit.
Go for gearbest if you want to be secure but people claim buyer protection is pretty good.

Yeah I got that ad from gb.

Thanks user. As long as the sound quality is alright and battery life is good, I'm happy. I can just fix it with an eq if it isn't.

I'm a manlet so I have the 2013 version. But yea what a fantastic phone. Do the Nexus phones have something similar to active display? I can't see myself living without it

Waiting on a gold rm3p, ordered a pair of screen protectors for it and a cheap clear case, but was still looking around for better shit. Thoughts on pic related?

Mbm ci 5 for moto g when

I'm going to buy a smartphone tomorrow. Is the moto g3 for 200€ the best bang for buck if i'm just looking for something that'll last me a few years with light-moderate use, mainly social media and music?

Redmi 3 pro

Zenfone 2 for $125, Am I getting cucked or is this a good deal?

2013 one was amazing. The Nexus 6 does because it's literally just a bigger 2014 Moto X, but sadly the others don't. Even the S7 shits the bed on it. I just hope Lenovo doesnt kill Moto quality

Global model has support for US LTE

You must have the skinniest jeans in the world if the 6s doesn't fit in your jeans

bestbuy.com/site/samsung-refurbished-galaxy-s7-32gb-black-onyx-verizon-wireless/5096600.p?id=bb5096600&skuId=5096600

give me one good reason I shouldn't buy this

>Refurbished

What's wrong with that? That basically means some faggot returned it and they can't sell it as new.

Its refurbished. The savings aren't worth the gamble, when you are buying something so high end anyway.

No it doesn't. That would be open box. Refurbished means it was either traded in or exchanged because it was defective.

It could be perfectly fine. It could have some issue they couldn't replicate so they called it fixed.

About to into 5x 32 GB direct from project fi for 250. Is this the best bang for the buck right now? It requires me to sign up for fi for at least 1 month, but I was hoping to do that anyway.

I was about to pick this up, then realized it didn't support a bunch of 4g bands within my service area. sad fucking day.

>tfw Apple fell for the meme
>Work in some undeground division at Apple in Cupertirno, get an iPhone 7 to review and make an stress test, chemical bullshit you dont care about and more.
>Im familiar with the procedure because i worked with the team in charge of the iPad Pro last year.
>Take screenshoot and mess around with internal stuff, the iPhone prototypes doesnt have any stable iOS version on it yet, just some dev os if you want to call it that way.
>Take screenshoot and import it to include in the report.
>2560 x 1440.
Im dissapointed, not sure if the new feautures will make me change my personal opinion on the phone.

Hi, looking for a dual sim phone in the 380 Eur range for taking to China for half a year, and afterwards using it in Germany.

What I'm looking for is
A) an unlockable bootloader and rootability
B) decent custom ROM support
C) decent specs as in storage (32GB + SD slot or 64GB bulit in) and memory (3GB), and a corresponding CPU. LTE is optional!

So far, I've looked at
- the LG G4, 380 Eur (bootloader locked for good)
- the Moto X Style, 370 Eur (EU version of the xt1572 model only operates on one SIM, and can't be told apart from other dual SIM versions)
- the Moto X Play, 280 Eur (looks pretty okay, although it's almost 100 Eur below my price threshold, so I'm wondering if there weren't even better alternatives, that's why the Moto G 3rd Gen is not really an option either)
- XiaoMi Mi5, 400 Eur (good specs, but custom ROM support doesn't seem great?)

I've yet to look into last year's Samsung, HTC and maybe Huawei flagships, and I'd appreciate any input and ideas, thanks!

buntu phone?

OnePlus 3 coming out soon boys. Think it might be worth it over an HTC 10?

>Chinkshit
>Worth it

As far as I've seen, literally all phones are chink shit. Just because they have a strong brand image in somewhere that isn't China, doesnt mean it isn't chink shit.

Also as far as I've seen people discuss shit like xiaomi of all fucking things here

iPhone

bull

shit

Switching to Sony Xperia Z3 to Note 3 or Note 4, is that a good choice /spg/?

So is there any phone that will take pictures and selfies as good as the new sony x series
Also is the 5m camera better than the 5z

Feel free to think that, but at least they got a better DAC now, Wolfson new DAC literally blowns the fuck off all the current DACs in the market.

Is Moto G still the best bang for bucks?

HTC 10 or S7 Edge Exynos. I don't care about custom roms or stock android and I don't want an iPhone.

what about battery size? and 3.5mm jack?

good specs, but custom ROM development seems to be stuck on 5.1 Lolipop

What about the jack? Both phones still have it.
The Plus and the regular size.

The radio bands are now the same color as the back of the phone and it looks way more clean now.

Forgot pic.

This somehow looks worse, it's not bad but it's not any better than the 6s or even the 5s

Applel needs to step their game up in terms of design

This.
I can't give up my 2013 I can't believe things have seemed to take a step back almost.
Have the Moto/active display with wave to wake on an amoled is too perfect.
But now that people are looking to upgrade the only new devices out are IPS, except for the S7 and Nexus stuff from last year.
I was really hoping the New Nexus stuff would also have amoleds but it doesn't look like it

Are factory ROMs always better than the pajeet ones on xda?

I agree. not a fan of the 7\ 7Plus look.
I cant show you the cameras in the back but I can tell you that both cameras in the back are the best in mobile photography.

I broke my phone recently and bought a cheap dumb phone (ZTE) from a petrol station as a temporary replacement and to my surprise am actually loving it.

The only features I really miss from my smart phone are SMS grouped in conversations and the 200 message limit since I mainly use SMS.

How are the Nokia phones with that?

How do you know if what you're buying is the global model?