>5G internet is upon us

Will we even need Wi-Fi anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160523083819.htm
youtu.be/QEzhxP-pdos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>bandwith caps on mobile

Yes

I don't even break 40mbit on my LTE connection, let alone 100.

By the time this comes out will phones be back to being the superior size AKA 4.5"?

>Manlet

Kill the genetic degenerates

>100 mbps

Yeah... if you live 50 feet from a tower.

5G will have datacaps out the ass. However it might mean 4G will become dirt cheap and hopefully they'll increase the data cap range.

5g is coming out and verizon still can't hit 10mb

First, bottled water, then data? What's next, fresh air and sound?

>can download at 10Gbps
>250MB data cap

i don't live near a tower and i easily get 120mbps with 4g.

this

>5G will have datacaps out the ass.

I don't see why.

The radio frequencies are the scarce resource.
Doesn't matter if you block the channel for 10 seconds to download 1MB, or if you block it for 10 seconds to download 500MB.

Unless 5G allows for less simultaneous users than 4G?

DUDE DATA CAPS LMAO

Lol

and we will be forced to pay even more

I snapchat everyday when I'm out, data usage goes up fast.

Not because the have too, but because they're scum

The free market will fix it, assuming you have one of course.

>What's next, fresh air?
user...

as long as data caps are a thing, we will

I already rely on my mobile data connection for all internet needs. Have unlimited high speed mobile data + 8GB of mobile hotspot. I have no home ISP.

2 cents per MB after that.

>mfy my provider has been promising 4G for almost 8 fucking years now in my city
>five years ago they had almost finished the towers but the decided to just tear them back down to build LTE ones instead or some bullshit
>still stuck on goddamn shitty 3G in 2016
>still have to pay the extra fucking money because "Well you have a 4G capable phone even though the nearest 4G is literally 50 miles away

Cute

100Mbps on 4G? I've gotten over 200 in my city. Though most areas it's 40-50.

>+ 8GB of mobile hotspot.
>he doesn't use PDAnet

>Bandwidth caps in Murrika
>5G

TOPPEST LELKEK

>literally can spend $30 on bandwidth in 10 minutes

Fuck all of it.

This user KNOWS

Don't need to. I've never made it close to 8GB since I only use the hotspot mode for checking news/email on laptop. Anything data intensive is done on my phone.

However Boost doesn't specify exactly what happens after I use 8GB of mobile hotspot and I've never tried to go past 8GB. I will this month though, hopefully they just throttle the connection to 128Kbps instead of disabling mobile hotspot altogether.

Maybe you should stop using retarded gimmicks.
That'd save you a lot of data.

The govt regulated away free market competition years ago.

>not having an unlimited plan
>not setting up your phone for unlimited free tethering

I have T Mobile and live way out in the boonies. My only option for traditional internet access is HughesNet but I do get full 4G signal. I have been using my phone as a DHCP server for my router for months now and it feels good

Webpages have sizes of 4-MB and 99% are ads or trackers, i can burn data plans browsing Wired.com and Theverge

why are you so obsessed about your phone and your dick being the same size?

I thought the average phone size was 3".
This is unsettling.

Were you thinking of penis size, Pajeet?

Considering 3G coverage in the USA outside major cities is atrocious, I'm not even thinking about 5G, I'd be happy just to have decent 3G.

Fuck the speed, I want that 1ms latency

There is no unlimited you moron. Start downloading some movies and see what happens to your bandwith.

The real question is, why are you so keen on overcompensating for your dick size with your phone size?

Surely this is a meme?
LTE isn't even """4G""" as per ITEs tech spec.

5G is old news now.... 6Gb/sec without MIMO acheived. Wait until this gets transfered to ASIC.
sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160523083819.htm

Germans win again. Qualcomm must be pissed. Beat by a factor of 10x by college students.

>unlimited plan
sure scrooge mcmoneybags

OP... are you Qualcomm rep?
>implying 5G can do 10 Gbps... hahahah
You just trying to confuse the masses about the announcement of Germans actually getting 6Gbps today? Your fake Wiki entry isn't fooling anybody... ok maybe fooling most.

>The free market will fix it

He's referencing Elliot Rodger because today is Elliot Rodger Day.

it's not even that, in some countries you don't have a choice... I wouldn't even care if I had (for example) 'unlimited' 5MB/s and got throttled down to half or even 1MB/s when reaching a specific GB quota

but all of our mobile ISP operators have something like 2-3eur per GB plans, and when you're out they either automatically start to charge you for per-GB (some even per-MB) or just throttle you down to 128kbps or something like that

last year a new operator came that offered a unlimited 50/10MB/s, the only problem is
*the fact that they could start here is only because they are actually a child-company and shadily funded by high govt people thanks to the connections in the high ranks => we are all gonna get fucked in the taxes indirectly anyway
*their actual coverage is somewhere around 30-40% of the actual population (not the area of country) = which means, top 30-40 cities are covered
*if you use the internet outside of ISP's network (international-roaming -> even other ISPs network of the same country), you are billed per-MB basis so you have to set up your usb-dongle/mobile/whatever to manually connect to that ISP only and deny every other network
*some services are throttled to lower speeds (youtube, torrents, netflix)
== if i know there is a fine coverage at my grandmoms house who will use it to look up receipts and occasionally use the internet for skype with family, it's great, otherwise it's just meh...

East Europe, ftw

I was in the spa I watched like 6 movies every day, HD, thats like 30GB, like every day, at 4G speeds. Unlimited plan but I did have to pay 26eur for it monthly, upgraded my data plan, witch is more than I used to because I normally used a 8eur plan with unlimited 3G.
I'm sure the operator had a limit, but that was in hundreds of GB's, then it would cut back to 3G speeds (with old 3G plan it cut back to like half a meg) but you also get a SMS when you reach 75% of the plan.

Why I was not using the spa WiFi? It was shit.

Estonia btw.

I don't want to sell my apartment, liver, and soul, to pay for the service, so yes, wifi it is.

>there are actually places with bandwith caps
jesus christ how disgustingly horrifying

In some poorer, less developed countries like the US, yes.

Got to have some way to not have data caps

>mfw just bought a 4G capable phone
>now I can burn through my 5GB of monthy data in 20 minutes

Truly the future is upon us.

I just found out about the google's Project Fi and I couldn't believe they charge $10 a GB. You'd think a giant tech company would be a little more in tune with the type of customer that would actually use it

>Turn Wifi on
>Battery lasts all day
>Try to do the same on 4G
>Battery curls up into a ball and dies within two hours
Nah.

In estonia and finland one can enjoy unlimited 5G soon while burgers still have capped 2G.

Yea, but you have to live in Estonia or Finland

finland literally takes even illegal immigrants with open arms, you literally have no excuse for living in an inferior country

>4G
>100 Mbps
That's 100 Mbps in motion, 1000 Mbps while standing still.

Tell me, what 4G network in 2009 give you 1000 Mbps while stationary?

>Live in Poland
>pay 20$ a month for LTE with 50GB cap

USA doesnt have bandwidth caps on mobile internet usage? I though it was pretty standard around the world.

Is LTE rly 4g??
Thought that it need to be 1Gbps

None
>2015
>300Mbps

They can it 4G+ and its not even THE REAL 4G

This. Even though your post exaggerates the issue, lte consumes a lot more power than wifi at least on my phone, especially if the signal is weak.

Can't wait to pay $200 a month for a data cap.

So i can use my data limit in a half second. Marvellous

Nope. Real 4G is supposed to deliver up to 1,000Mbps to a stationary user. LTE can only deliver up to 300Mbps to a stationary user. In addition most LTE towers can only deliver up to 37Mbps per tower sector (there are 3) under ideal conditions.

And so this is why real world LTE speeds range from 4-8Mbps. Under ideal conditions and/or little network load you will see speeds above 8Mbps and under stormy conditions and/or heavy network load you will see speeds bepow 4Mbps.

We don't know what real world speeds true 4G will deliver but it's assumed at least 100Mbps per tower sector and there may be like 5 sectors instead of 3 for more users for a total of 500Mbps total tower bandwith.

How to do this ? I have unlimited t mobile and will be moving soon and would like to do this until I can get a wired internet connection for my pc

and then you can owe them $64 in overages after the full second (at 10c/MB)

>2-3eur per GB plans, and when you're out they either automatically start to charge you for per-GB (some even per-MB) or just throttle you down to 128kbps or something like that
128kbps is enough to have a VOIP call if you use G.729, GSM or CELT. VOIP costs about 2 euro a month for moderate usage.

You're telling me that you can pay 5 euro a month for telephone, email, SMS and web browsing?

48-64 kbps is enough to have a VoIP call

64kbps is landline quality cound

>tfw not making your calls over 3G

This. I'm not going to pay out the ass just because my mobile Internet's fast. Hell most of the time I use my phone's Internet it's tethered over a Bluetooth PAN anyway so it's not like I'd notice the speed.

64 kbps is not an indication of “quality”.

Kill yourself normalfag

We already have cheap unlimited high speed mobioe data plans though (metropcs, boost, cricket, ect).

5G would most likely bring unlimited high speed mobile hotspot. People would then have 0 reason to have a home ISP.

Latency.

Is not an issue especially on LTE. It will be less of an issue in 5G.

Pic related my unlimited high speed mobile data connection. Ping usually hovers around 30-50ms which is more than enough for most things even online vydias.

But landline is, and what I sayd is that they equal.

>5 meters is equal to 34 milliseconds
okay then

>mobile internet connexion
>consistent low latency
pick one

How dumb are you to understand that a 64kbps MP3 equals the same quality as sound over landline?

>ping is 76 for 2 minutes then goes through the roof at random times
enjoy your frustration

Still better than my shitty copper line.

This.

>64kbps MP3
Now we're getting somewhere. Yes, if you specify a bitrate / format pair, you get closer to specifying an actual quality. Sort of.

A bitrate / format pair is still insufficient. You need to specify, at minimum, a bitrate / format / codec triple. Technically, in some cases, a bitrate / format / encoder / decoder quad. (I'm assuming ‘encoder’ and ‘decoder’ here also contain descriptions of any relevant settings)

But, you see, I was not talking about MP3, and this is where your point breaks down. Because it turns out, lossy audio codecs have advanced quite significantly in the last 23 years.

Modern 64 kbps Opus (using libopus) is nowhere near the quality of a landline phone. It is significantly better, almost transparent. Heck, you can get away with 64 kbps for music with only minor losses in quality.

So you're on AT&T networks huh? I've been with boost for almost a year and never had problems with ping except the rare times I had no lte coverage.

My internet is so shit I end up using tethered 4G as my primary internet provider.

Works surprising well, even for online gaming. Good thing it's unlimited.

It's the complete opposite in my case :
LTE speed is 3 times faster than my dsl landline. but frustrating when it comes to onli vidya, getting sudden peak of 600+ ping for 10 seconds every 5 minutes is no fun.
datacaps also suck balls, I can't download shit with 15gb/month

there is no such thing as "minor losses" in audio quality with music
it's only acceptable when the difference is not noticeable

>there is no such thing as "minor losses" in audio quality with music
youtu.be/QEzhxP-pdos

Coming to the US for a reasonable price never