What exactly is the point of an ITX build?

What exactly is the point of an ITX build?

The cost to build an ITX build with performance comparable to a full size computer is on par with or greater than just building the full size.

Heat management and airflow problems out the ass, and if you want a halfway decent liquid cooling system, the reservoir will have to be mounted outside the case.

The only upside I can see is weight and size. But what fucking reason would you be lugging your PC around for anyways?

And while there are mini GPUs available that perform on par with full sized ones, they're loud as fuck

>Cost
You can make really kick ass ITX builds for no more than a regular ATX build.

Heat management is all about the case, and how you set it up.

My computer is small and pretty powerful bro.

small spaces or htpc.

The other solution is to run some sort of VM solution with centralized hardware streaming to thin clients, and 99% of people can't even fathom doing such a thing yet.

Im not sure if mine is an ITX
Its alot smaller than most of the cases Ive seen in shops, they look ridiculously huge and even my case is big enough but still quite a bit smaller

>But what fucking reason would you be lugging your PC around for anyways?

Demos, expos and LAN parties. Way less expensive than buying a top of the line gaming laptop.

>The only upside I can see is weight and size. But what fucking reason would you be lugging your PC around for anyways?

I demo my HTC Vive a fair bit at friends houses which means lugging it around a fair bit, and ITX is much easier than my old mATX or ATX builds.

>and if you want a halfway decent liquid cooling system, the reservoir will have to be mounted outside the case.
For cases like the N case maybe, but with a bit of creativity you can make it work.

The point is that you can make an open air system that is super fucking tiny and lightweight. Unless you live with a bunch of animals or something.

>The only upside I can see is weight and size.
You are exactly right.
>But what fucking reason would you be lugging your PC around for anyways?
You won't understand until you live a lifestyle that requires that. A car-driving American who never leaves the country wouldn't.

>And while there are mini GPUs available that perform on par with full sized ones, they're loud as fuck
Mini GPUs are bad memes and ITX cases usually fit long ones.

>The cost to build an ITX build with performance comparable to a full size computer is on par with or greater than just building the full size.

You are correct somewhat, but most ITX rigs will not be up to par with full-size ones, for specific reasons by the builder.

>Heat management and airflow problems out the ass

Only if you get a shit case.

>The only upside I can see is weight and size.

Exactly right, some people don't want a fuckhuge PC and just want something powerful, yet small. People wanting a rig that can do professional work and play some games, but won't break their desk. Photoshop/Maya/Adobe Premiere rigs do not need giant GPUs or heatsinks.

>And while there are mini GPUs available that perform on par with full sized ones, they're loud as fuck

Most ITX cases fit regular sized PCIe GPUs. I do agree that the mini GPUs are loud as fuck, but something like a 750ti-sized card is very common in ITX rigs, I'm not sure who you have met that has built an ITX but it sounds like they are shit at building PCs in general

That is a beautiful machine, holy fuck. So compact, so clean.

>ITX retard fanboys detected

>demos and expos
I can see the use for that, but I don't see how anyone but a NEET has time for shit like that. And LAN parties are virtually dead these days.
>until you live a lifestyle that requires that
I travel for business all the fucking time, I live in the States. I fly and drive thousands of miles every year, but when I need to travel, I take a laptop because I don't need to be playing video games on a business trip in the first place.

I still do not understand the purpose of these.

You still haven't live a lifestyle that requires that: e.g. months out of the country at a time. I have.

ITX is a meme.

Oh wow, what do you know? A tripfag being wrong. Good ITX shit routinely costs more than good ATX shit.

The only advantage has already been touched on. If you are one of the 0.00001% of people that needs a move around a powerful PC, then ITX makes sense. If not, you're just a hobbyist wasting money.

Are you kidding me? I'm a fucking merchant mariner buddy. When I'm not literally crossing the oceans the hard way, I'm flying and driving around constantly on company business.

And in any case where I'm going to be gone for that length of time, I have more than enough time to justify taking a little while to bring my ATX sized tower with me.

How often do you use your PC anyway? Is this actually a question of "Why do you need a PC" rather than "Why do you need an ITX case"?

Are you a door-to-door vive salesman or something?

How often do I use it? Pretty much every day. Even at sea, the larger ships generally have internet (albeit slow). Even if we don't, I've got more than enough shit on my computer to keep me entertained.

If I, a sailor, cannot find genuine need for an ITX build, I really don't understand why anyone would other than simply wanting to waste money on a tiny computer.

Which I would have no problem with, if it weren't for the fact that ITX builds are plagued with problems, and are often as expensive if not more expensive than ATX builds.

Demos and Expos are a fucking full time job for some people.

So basically you have a home that moves? Then you obviously don't need an ITX case.

Might as well be. About 90% of the people I've shown want to buy one now.
I should ask HTC for a cut

>Good ITX shit routinely costs more than good ATX shit.
for the same chipset a ITX motherboard will be cheaper. top performing low profile coolers are cheaper than huge meme block coolers. the cases span a wide range of prices, but for 100 bucks you get get the rvz01/ftz01 which has cooling capabilities that surpass many mid and full tower cases.

about the only thing that is more expensive are the sfx power supplies, but not every itx case requires them, and even then it's not a huge price difference since the top sfx power supplies are fully modular.

This is a really sound argument for not getting this ITX build. I travel for work far more rarely than you do, and it seems like you are pretty tech savvy. If you don't really believe in this, well who is it marketed to? I had always thought that the hard-core gamers made their own traditional desktops, why make it portable when you can just play with people online?

Come on people please , just like GNU/Linux , what you are referring to is MINI ITX. Come on Sup Forums

The ITX form factor is great for NAS servers, HTPCs, and gaming and streaming PCs. Even high end workstations are going small form factor, like the trash can.

Unless you are high-end 4K gaming or making a bare-bones, used parts budget rig, no real reason to not use ITX.

1) Why do you care if someone spent more than you? Does that offend your sensibilities?

2)I have no more problem with heat than anyone else. Poorly ventilated cases come in all sizes.

3)Size is important. I dont want a fuck huuuge tower on my desk dominating the whole area. I have my case on my desk, next to me. Silent 90% of the time.

4)Most mitx cases will allow a full sized card. If not you have the Nano, 380, 960, and now Polaris to choose from.

You're retarded. For all his so-called traveling he hasn't the need to lug his case around as often as he claims because his entire home (ship) moves with him.

I get that the benefit of ITX is that its tiny. I just really don't see why so many people are willing to go out of their way to get it. Even if that one user is telling the truth and does lug his PC around a lot, most people don't. With the number of ITX builds I see on this board, there's gonna be a big number of them that rarely if ever leave their desk. And I can't remember seeing a battlestation thread where someone's room was so incredibly cramped that an extra cubic foot or two was really worth bothering about.

Every person has his reasons, but mine is mostly for the size.

I just don't like the size of ATX. My first system I built was ATX. Way too big, and I never even used those extra expansions slots.

I prefer small form factors that aren't an eyesore in my living space. ITX and mATX at what I will use in all my future builds, and I'm still thinking about just dropping mATX as well.

>Only parts "different" from an ATX build is motherboard and case. Sometimes PSU, VERY seldom GPU.
>ITX GPU's aren't really more than a regular length GPU of the same series, usually less than $20 more. But most can fit full length GPU's.
>Cases can range anywhere from $50-$100 for just an average, decent case
>Motherboard are smaller, but most come with tons of features for such a small package, and aren't really losing anything over the ATX counterpart.
>Plenty of good quality SFX PSU's, not too much more than a nice ATX PSU. But most ITX cases take ATX PSU's anyways.

It's really not going to cost any more if you know what you're doing.

>guy who can't build a decent PC detected

Because who the fuck wants a massive tower in their living space. They look fucking horrid and they're too big. We're not 15 anymore where that shit was cool (well maybe you are).

they are kawaii, tho

If you dont need high power components... whats the point of getting anything bigger?

There's a reason All-In-Ones are so popular, and its not just because of the Mac.

>does that just not have ram?

Can't hear shit senpai. Even when I game and I've a pretty aggressive fan curve.

Young faggots are obsessed with making everything as tiny as their gay phones.

See also: the obsession with useless miniature PCs like Raspberry Pi, arduino, etc

this thread will end by buying a console

I would put my old micro itx mobo in a smaller case and put it besides my bed where my tv is and use it as a YouTube-Machine.

>What exactly is the point of an ITX build?

To build a PC small enough you can take it over to your friends house for reasons.

Not bigger than an xbox one either.

I have to lug my PC around so there

Did they give you the free HTC 10?

Posted from my HTC 10

i bet that thing weighs as much as a 8 year old child.

It does, just not very obvious head on because it doesn't have headspreaders.
It can be easily carried under one arm

compactness. Some people don't want an ass huge box taking space. For example, my room is 2x3m, with a 120x65cm desk. A full size case would be just too large.

i'm so looking god damn forward for a zen/polaris mini itx build in the coming months

>hurr every body is making small and under powered shit why bother

I'm going to blame apple fags for that, and muh battery life idoits

but to be really honest here there is nothing worng with small cases at all.

It's a meme desu senpai.

I debated doing one for my second rig when I realized something: most meme-tier ITX cases are just as big as the small mATX only cases (think fractal core, zalman z3 etc.).

I just built a rig using one of them, no worries about clearance, airflow, or anything else, hell, it's even cable managed and has a 212 evo CPU cooler.

And I can still carry it under one arm easily, and I'm 5"9, you'd have to be a super manlet not to be able to.

I study interstate and fly home in the holidays so I wanted a PC that could be taken as carry on. I couldn't afford a really ritzy gaymur laptop, and even then it wouldn't have been tailored to where I want performance.

I fully expect to have to ship my next build which is part of the reason I am going miniITX.
Volume and weight saving with no compromise in performance. I don't need expandability pass what it provides because I have a NAS for storage and 16GB RAM will be enough for me for the foreseeable future.