Is Linux a waste of time?

Is Linux a waste of time?

Other urls found in this thread:

comparebusinessproducts.com/fyi/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/ubuntu-coming-to-mainframes-in-new-ibmcanonical-project/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What the fuck is this shit?

>using a random distro instead of tried and true Debian/Ubuntu

>Windows-like
>Breaks in hilarious ways
Sounds accurate to me

this 2 b h

Windows if for people who have a profession, it runs all software, it runs the gold standard, MS Office, it is supported everywhere.

OSX is for moms and teens. It doesn't have the business software support that Windows has, and it has a gimped down version of MS Office.

Linux is for techie wannabees, hardly any business software runs on it, MS Office is not supported. Having to do many task in bash is literally a waste of time, something somebody with a job doesn't have time for.

>shitting on linux when the entire internet is run on it

You forgot,
>t. 16 year old future college dropout

The Internet runs on macs, dummy

You gotta wonder what he did to fuck up an installation of Linux that bad. Especially a distro that holds your hand throughout the whole installation.
It takes a special kind of person to do that

>use a no-name distro
>it doesn't werk
Wow, nobody saw this coming

Fuck Vwestlife, he's a fucking moron. I've watched some of his videos where he complains about linux and the shit he complains about is so trivial. Not even problems that are worth googling, all he had to do was read the fucking instructions on screen.

The image in OP's pic is because he intentionally installed the wrong graphic drivers. His computer was working fine and dandy but he decided to install new graphic drivers and then bitch about the outcome.

He's really nothing more than a fagot

on a real desktop operating system like windows or osx, updating your graphics drivers doesn't typically run the risk of horribly corrupting your display output, because it's not 1997 anymore.

Only on Linux do you get shitty drivers, Windows doesn't have this problem :^)

here's your (You)

If you don't value your freedom and privacy then yes, Linux is a huge fucking waste of time.

Reading comprehension is hard

>wants Windows-like OS
>gets Windows-like experience
>complains

rural ireland fag here, we're paying €50 for about 0.5mbs download

Only Yuros and SJWs don't like Linux because they literally can't even comprehend the idea of freedom. An American white male understands the value of Linux as soon as he learns about it, since American white males are the sons of freedom. Europeans and liberals like their OS like they like their doctrine, evil and authoritarian.

Terrible opinion

The hell is Zorin?

>business software support
>MS Office
If you're a business person, then yes, you probably need Windows. But you do realize that this isn't necessarily every job, right?

I read it perfectly, it's just that I reject that notion that installing the "wrong" driver should have this kind of outcome.

Yes. Windows is a waste of money, and all other OS but OSX & Windows are timesinks too.

So I can conclude that winfags are wageslaves with no time for themselves.
Also Linux competence, as any computer competence, tends to get you jobs where computer competence is required.

Zorin is not exactly no-name, Sup Forums just doesn't meme about it.

You've got to understand, windows doesn't come with GPU drivers. Having used nothing else, why would anyone assume otherwise?

>muh freedoms
European laws ruled Pentium IIIs to be illegal, and thus microprocessors are not identifiable in the same way printers are.
Anti-adblocking solutions are illegal in the EU as they're tracking software and control what the users can see.
Scanning ports is not illegal in the EU.
My isp provides a news server with full access to alt., my god is it full of cp
Linux was created by a Finn.
And so on

/thread

Unless you program or run a server then Linux us useless. Doesn't matter what "runs on linux" because we are talking about what people use in everyday life and the practicality of it.

You pay to use something attached to an agreement and you're complaining.

You're clearly under 25 and have never rented a car.

this

Children in denial that Linux is bad for everyday use.

>vwestlife
He's a self admitted faggot who shops for 30 year old radios in thrift store and has a hard time comprehending anything other than DOS and Windows XP.

I've been using GNU/Linux exclusively in everyday use since 2008? It was around that time.

I got a shitty Dell laptop, and the Intel graphics drivers kept fucking up on Vista.
We are talking a crash (killing most running programs with it) twice or three times a day.

I finally had enough.

About five years later, the company I worked for switched to RHEL on almost all their workstations.
This isn't some rinky dink operation either. It's an ASX listed company, and the building I work in alone has some 100+ workstations running simultaneously at peak.
The only people who don't run GNU/Linux, is the marketing rep upstairs, who gets a Mac and the design dept who have a few Windows boxes for Solidworks and Multisim, but there is talk we might switch to an in-house tool based upon SPICE to replace Multisim.
Oh shit, the pick and place machine on the line runs Windows 3.11, but it's so well embedded that you probably wouldn't even know.

Werks on my machine

Does the organization that manages zorin really advertise it as windows-like because I think that might open them up to a lawsuit from microsoft. I'm thinking the windows-like shit was probably propagated by shitty blogs and not something they personally claim.

Man i wish normies just stayed away from computers.

> Gimped down version of MS office
Nice try Pajeet. Office 2016 for Mac is the same if not way better than its Windows version. Office 2011 was a joke yes, but this meme is over now.

> Moms and teens
> Superior Unix system with better terminal and dev support
And no, the glitchy Ubuntu ripoff in Windows doesn't count.

Unfortunately they subsidize the personal computer market. If they didn't buy them as well then computers would cost way more and be too expensive for mere NEETfags

>European laws ruled Pentium IIIs to be illegal, and thus microprocessors are not identifiable in the same way printers are.

...Why did they make Pentium IIIs illegal?

So you do server support? I guess you missed that part in my first post that that is all its good for

>Only Yuros and SJWs don't like Linux because they literally can't even comprehend the idea of freedom. An American white male understands the value of Linux as soon as he learns about it, since American white males are the sons of freedom. Europeans and liberals like their OS like they like their doctrine, evil and authoritarian.
>muh freedoms
OOOH am laffin
>digabi.fi/digabi-os-operating-system/
We were literally teached in school how to use linux OS called DigabiOS. A little years forward it will be mandotory to learn to use it

On desktop computers?
Yes.
On servers/embedded devices?
No.

How to spot an aspie: the post.

>RetroGamer VX
Opinion discarded.

I switched to using GNU/Linux *before* getting that job.
I use it exclusively for everything I do.

The workstations at work aren't being used as servers, they are being used as workstations.

The only thing that can't be done in GNU/Linux is video games (which really don't matter, and support for games is slowly improving) and the use of certain proprietary tools, but these tools are not the kind of tools you'd use on your home machine, but the sorts of things that would come on a machine provided by your workplace (therefore be beyond your control anyway).

>European laws ruled Pentium IIIs to be illegal
Can i get a link on this or something. I googled but...

Some Pentium IIIs have unique IDs that can be broadcast to applications such as web browsers, so they were usable for tracking purposes.

www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9911/29/eu.p3.ban.idg/index.html

>and the use of certain proprietary tools, but these tools are not the kind of tools you'd use on your home machine
Grand delusion, just remember how many little freeware tools there are available for Windows only, some are mandatory for certain things that you are highly unlikely to do anywhere but home. Tinkering with phones, especially not Android ones, for example. Not every tool is bloated "application software".

what the fuck is zorin OS ?
I've been using linux for some years now and never heard of it.

All major database software is running on Linux. All the important mainframe and parallel processing is being done on Linux nodes. I use SuSE every day and work with many companies. OP is an uninformed bundle of sticks.

It probably doesn't mean much, but I've yet to encounter a tool which didn't work in Wine or have a GNU/Linux supporting replacement.
The one exception was a shitty video converter tool someone recommended once, but I found using ffmpeg on it's own was much easier to deal with.

Because it's a meme of a project that is trying to cater to morons and fill a niche that doesn't actually exist

>It probably doesn't mean much, but I've yet to encounter a tool which didn't work in Wine or have a GNU/Linux supporting replacement
Anything that requires installing drivers?

It's GNU/Linux, not Linux.

>OP is an uninformed bundle of sticks.
>All major database software is running on Linux.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

I've not installed drivers in literally years.
Everything, from Printers to Programmers to USB TV Tuners have worked right off of the bat (or with an update to the latest kernel).

>It's asperger's, not autism.

As I said about phones, some shit requires special drivers, that aren't even signed sometimes.

Say what you want about a monolithic architecture, but just plugging in and things working is nice.

You are correct and this is a great response. Linux is commonly used as a label incorrectly. But by any name it is extremely relevant and widely used.

Normies should just stay away from computers.
They are the reason why the web became shit.
They are the reason why operating systems became shit.
They are the reason why malware exists.
They are the reason why censorship exists.
They are the reason for this shitty thread.

Don't know how to drive a car? Don't drive a car.
Don't know how to use a computer? Don't get one.

At Apple store
>Don't know how to use a computer? Don't worry, this isn't one.

I know right?
I used to wait minutes for a USB keyboard to be recognised on Windows 2000.

What kind of phones would you be using that would have those sorts of restrictions?
I've had no trouble with phones on GNU/Linux.
Back when I switched I was using this Sony Ericsson thing which had horrible software on Windows, but reasonably good tools on GNU/Linux.
Using it as a 3G modem was a matter of plugging it in and running the Mobile Broadband tool that came with most distros, but in Windows required you to install some Sony Mobile Manager shit which nagged me for updates whenever you turned the computer on.

>tfw trans
>tfw you don't own a smartphone or have a social media profile
Am I a part of the problem still?

What part of "tinkering" didn't you get?
>Sony Ericsson
Linux had only barely working xs++ for flashing that had to BRUTE-FORCE FOR HALF A DAY encryption keys before it even started doing its job.

Linux imitating Windows is like a nigger putting on white make up and thinking he is white and intellectual.

dont worry, my dad was a trains conductor too. he was a good man so ure are too.

trains is a hard job
;_;

I can assure this is 100% accurate

T. 22 years old who's dropping the second uni in three years

>don't own a smartphone
Then how will you take pictures of your feminine penis for us? Fucking useless cunt.

Underrated

>Is Linux a waste of time?
Not as much as windows.
Linux takes less time to install, you don't need to search the interwebs for your software, distributions like mint, ubuntu or OpenSUSE come pre installed with all the drivers and everything you need for daily use. If you want something else, just start the package manager and click install.
Updates for everything comes from one place and at the time YOU want.
If you have to track down an issue, linux gives you the information you need to solve it and not just "something happend"
It's more stable and does exactly what you want at the time you want. No "what the fuck is going on? why is my Internet so slow - oh it's updating" or other shit like this.

>What is VM
Well,this thread is fucking shit,since Personal Computers have VT-x and 32 GB of RAM is useless dual-booting.
Just use Windows as host and whatever you want as guest.

I've been tripple booting Debian, Windows 7, and Ubuntu for almost 3 years and I've never had my computer screen look like that. Not even once. How the fuck do you even do that?

You are wrong. Recently I've come across a German internet radio with this nagging banner asking me to turn off my ad bloc k

>Anti-adblocking solutions are illegal in the EU
Do you think that this is actually the case?

It's absolutely un-enforcable.

Mint can also come with preinstalled botnet

Your mom is a waste of time. Lurk moar, faggot.

>If you have to track down an issue, linux gives you the information you need to solve it
Wrong. There's no difference between googling an exception in DLL 363636363f556d and Linux errors.

Yeah, just like "this site uses cookies". Yurp might be on a cuckish side but they care about privacy, probably has something to do with the most jewish banks being there.

comparebusinessproducts.com/fyi/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/ubuntu-coming-to-mainframes-in-new-ibmcanonical-project/

Yes OP, the U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Navy Submarine Fleet and IBM love waste the time with linux

I still own a camera, silly.

Smartphones are basically corporate tracking devices.
You gotta pay for the privilege of being spied on.

The difference is that when you search for windows errors, you will quickly find information about the exact problem related to the exact version of windows you're using from multiple sources. With a linux problem, you end up in a forum thread from 2008.

>submarines run linux, therefore it's a great choice for a PC!

DoD? The same DoD that's still using XP?

Adult here. I'm in denial that Linux is bad for everyday use.

I have different experience. And desu when u see a Linux error message its often that you understand what's it about. But all in all you end up googling

Linux will never grow beyond what it is now. The fact that no one has made one of these "windows like" versions and had it succeed should be proof that it's inferior. If Linux is so great then you should be able to imitate Window without all of its shortcomings. Too bad you can't.

> what is copyright laws

Dell sell ultrabooks with ubuntu since 2010
People buy dell because waste his time?

>using a server OS on a desktop

it's funny because it's true

That's because Windows is shit. Linux is not Windows and it shouldn't try to be. Linux is there for people looking to get away from the circle jerk of malware and government spying and take full control over their computers. Debian is rock solid and doesn't crash when I open folders like Windows 10 does.

If Zorin sucks, then it's fulfilled it's goal of being windows-like perfectly.
What's the problem?

>le 2016 meme

Why do you try so hard to prove os x is good when it has flaws and problems?

Because its an important part of his self esteem and self realization. T.Linux fan

It's Zorin. Last I checked, you had to reinstall the OS just to upgrade LTS versions. Zorin IS a waste of time, but please don't let it define Linux.