UMPC

UMPCs seem pretty cool, especially since they could bridge the gap between a PC and a Smartphone.

Does anyone still make one that matters?

Other urls found in this thread:

searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/definition/ultra-mobile-personal-computer-UMPC
youtube.com/watch?v=tRTtm9iGihc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

HAHAHAHA
oh you are serious.

That one seems fun. What is it?

I'm still trying to get a Samsung Q1..

just something i found on image search, sold on alibaba

I have a little Sony Vaio P series "Lifestyle PC" it works OK, not great linux support, and only tried windows 7 on it in the past. I wish there was something similar with slightly more modern specs and better linux support.

>bridge the gap between a PC and a Smartphone
That exact set of buzzwords is what was used to sell tablets. Have you ever encountered a human being who owned a tablet and was over the age of 12?

I've seen many high school students using tablets instead of paper textbooks and also to write things down

and they did a shitty job at it. I like my UMPC, it would be nice if we could get something a bit more up to date though.

>over 12
Yes, a lot of adults seem to own them too.

Every pilot I know....

GPD WIN. There's also the Dragonbox Pyra which technically isn't a UMPC since it's ARM but occupies a similar niche if you're a freetard.

The pyra is not an UMPC.

>"Ultra-mobile PC (UMPC) is a hand-held computing device capable of running a Windows operating system. AUMPCis larger than a personal digital assistant (PDA) but smaller than a laptop. Microsoft and Intel created a design specification for theUMPCin a project called Origami."

searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/definition/ultra-mobile-personal-computer-UMPC

It cannot run a windows OS and does not have an x86 processor. It runs the mobile version of debian linux.

A phablet with a keyboard is the new UMPC

Please don't mention the pyra. It's not good for anything at all. It's also very overpriced, like $800 and it features a dual-core ARM processor from like 2009.

>Have you ever encountered a human being who owned a tablet and was over the age of 12
Most of the tablet owners I've encountered are either teenagers or adults, myself included.

N900, a NID, MID almost a UMPC.

successful troll is successful

>GPD WIN
Looks neat

Since the Pyra is an overpriced piece of shit not worth the money, will any proper linux distro run on it?

You must just be feeling anal today because I already said it wasn't a UMPC.
Any Linux distro that supports ARM so not exactly.

i'd kill for a UMPC, with a x5 or x7 atom, a 7/8 inch screen at 1920x1200/1080 with 4 gb of RAM and a M.2 SSD slot. and i'd even be happy with a 5 hour battery life. also it'd be nice if it swapped between windows and android.

It's sad we don't have more devices like the Pandora, Pyra really is expensive, but it's a small project, would a big company do it they could sell it for pocket cash.

I'd run Debian on it, good ARM support in the repo.
But the official Pandora OS is OK too I think.

Also good to have a SDK in a virtual machine ready to fire up anytime you need to compile something, easy as fuck once all is set up.

I have an N810 that I'm trying to do this on, and call me a freetard, but I'm concerned Meego had closed source blobs. Haven't found a way to install Linux sans Meego.

I don't like Meego, Meego is a phone OS, the N's are internet devices. I can multi boot the original Maemo with a lot of tweaks, a Debian Wheezy with custom kernel and Android with custom kernel.

This? You mean a different WM?
I've compiled blackbox for Maemo, want it?

That very quickly runs into the same problems as a surface with a type cover.

A proper UMPC would address a lot of the problems with smartphones, mainly the lack of a dedicated input method without being cumbersome.

youtube.com/watch?v=tRTtm9iGihc

>google UMPC
>get links with tablets with keyboards

/triggered

Seriously.
I love my Pro 2, but the type cover+ kickstand thing sucks.

I'd empty my bank account for a modern Vaio UX

geriatrics.
work purposes, not pleasure
tablets have a purpose and sell just fine, if they didnt market wouldnt be flooded with them at a stable price for almost 6 years now.
underaged b&
nice trips of truth m8
so you want a device, with a good processor, which tablets have, and good screen, which tablets have stunning displays, hell my phone is 2k, apple retina is insanely gorgeous. 4gb is kind of much yes. but the m.2 slot.... for ssd? most tablets have solid state memory already, and can be expanded with flash cards, which are again solid state memory. which is faster, direct solder, or m.2 slot? and then windows/android.... well you got me here, i have no idea why you would want an android UMPC.... but tablet fits your needs.

get a samsung tab, they're pretty powerful and meet your criteria.
this is the only legit reason one might want a UMPC for tactile input. and yeah, i kinda miss the buttons on phones too...
but user, that's where we've progressed to, tablets are UMPC with touchscreens...
pro 2 is good, but that kickstand must get dirt and grime in it, yeah?

i use a wireless keyboard with my smartphone when i need to really type on it, but its a note 5 so idk that an 800 phone is really an option for everyone.

>having a tablet = underage
Having a desktop OS in your pocket is very useful, user.

If they weren't obsolete already, smartphones slammed the last nail in the coffin for them

you have a desktop in your pocket? if not then you dont have a desktop os in your pocket.

waiting for tactile keyboard cases for phones to come around. as far as i know they dont exist and no one plans on making them.

>giving away million dollar ideas on Sup Forums

I have a tablet on my nightstand, for watching utube videos. 7inch Huawei shit.
Does the job fine tho.

A tablet ain't a UMPC, two different things. They just use the name UMPC because marketing.

I would like a device that connects through data and encrypts all my shit even phone calls. I could make phone calls from a linked flip phone. I hate the feeling of talking on a smart phone.

Windows is a desktop OS

>A tablet ain't a UMPC
I never said it was.

ARM is a great platform if you give any fuck about size and battery life, don't really see the problem why sub-branch of UMPC's can't use ARM.

>I never said it was.
Not you. But they are trying to make them.

I'm well aware, it's bullshit

any os is a desktop os if used on a desktop. you're not very bright are you?

whats the difference? how is a tablet not an ultra mobile personal computer?

Nice b8 you faggot, got yourself some bites there

>giving away million dollar ideas on Sup Forums
tell me more user

>any os is a desktop os if used on a desktop. you're not very bright are you?
I'm quite bright, just not a semantic asshole like you are.

The kickstand never gets dirt and grime, why would it? It's just a hinge that's covered. Also the commodification of the tablet is proof that it's successful through all age groups. On top of that, a tablet isnt the same as a pc. I can't use my keyboard and shit well at all while trying to hold my Pro 2. like another user said, a desktop os would be nice in my pocket.

Nobody would buy that shit, most people never even heard of tactile keyboards.

phone case that has a slide out, or flip out tactile bluetooth keyboard. think the generation of touch screen phone before the smart phone, how they had those keyboards on them that pivoted or slid out. i dont think anyone makes anything like that, i know for iphone and note series that could probably make alot of money, especially since the cases are sometimes multi generational, one keyboard can fit many versions of the note series.

its not semantics, how is a UMPC different than a tablet running full windows 10?

>apple retina is insanely gorgeous
And it's far from the best display on the market.

As for your opinion that tablets are for children and teenagers, the statistics disagree with you. As of 2015, 45% of all adults owning tablets and 57% of those between 30 and 49 owning tablets.

As the other user said, successful troll is successful. 5/10, you made me look up statistics.

>ARM is a great platform if you give any fuck about size and battery life
Actually it isn't, ARM is more power hungry than x86 (see Zenfone 2).

>don't really see the problem why sub-branch of UMPC's can't use ARM.
Because the term "UMPCs" was coined for ultra portable personal computers that x86 windows and fit in your fucking pocket not a phone with a permanent glued on keyboard that runs a mobile OS worse than android.

UMPC's by definition where like OP's pic, they fit in your pocket. But that's changing now.

user, there used to be smartphones with keyboards. The desire Z/g2 was htcs last, but it was one of the best phones at the time. The reason they don't exist mostly is because companies rather not deal with it, even if people want it. It's easier to make a thin phone without one than with.

>how is a UMPC different than a tablet running full windows 10?
Not him but there is a fundamental difference between the two as both terms are used as definitions of form factors.

A desktop OS probably isn't clearly defined though, so that discussion is a little more grey.

That's the reason we don't have good UMPC's, theres no market for it, except 20 guys on Sup Forums.

mmmm, im filthy, i would get grime and shit in the opening, ash, marijuana resin, that kind of stuff. you'd be surprised what's on your fingers once you start sweating.
i hella would, alot of Sup Forums would too.
>And it's far from the best display on the market.
you're right, but its their standard and your eye cant percieve the pixels in it, thus it appears gorgeous, at least to me. again my note 5 has a great screen that i adore. so resolution isnt exactly an issue with these devices. M$ pro book and pro 4 have 4k displays... tell me thats not good enough (its too good, eats battery)

>
As for your opinion that tablets are for children and teenagers, the statistics disagree with you. As of 2015, 45% of all adults owning tablets and 57% of those between 30 and 49 owning tablets.
i never said only kids use tablets, im actually defending the tablet as a UMPC.
how does my smart phone not fit in my pocket?
awh, i missed those then when they were around... if there was a peripheral i could attach like tablets have, or a case with a keyboard i would buy and use that, i would, especially if it means no on screen keyboard.
so the form factor determines it? up above he said it fits in your pocket, many tablets andsmartphones fit in pockets. many tablets run a full version of windows 10, im sure a phone could to if you tried hard enough to make it.
20 good guys.

>its not semantics, how is a UMPC different than a tablet running full windows 10?
Would you mind directing me to the post where I said such a thing?

The Atom really has evolved I see since I last used it.

I know, that's why I said sub branch, ARM was shit and used in PDA's when UMPC was coined, but its OK for most things now, because even x86 instruction is limited for years already and ARM just caught up. Every major OS has a port on ARM now, it's not just that common.

>how does my smart phone not fit in my pocket?
But your smart phone can't replace a PC? Because... its not a UMPC!

I actually wish they would release a top-spec version of Pandora or N900, not like Pyra or Neo900, what are still years behind in hardware.

There's so much I can easily do on a N900 that you can do on a UMPC, just being more compact.

i cant, because you're anonymous. but that has been said in this thread several times, if i mistook you for some one else, understand i only have your writing style to identify you with.
sorry.
cant replace my PC how?
i do two things on my pc, i make music primarily, and i play bethesda games when they come out. i can live with out the games... but phones play games too.
they write docs, edit video and photo. i can make music with it. my smartphone can do almost everything my pc does, and i only say almost not because there are things it cant do, but rather the efficiency at which they can do them is different.

the fact of the matter is, no matter how badly we want to see te return of UMPC, it wont happen. the best we'll get are those extra thick "rugged" tablets

Maybe you should stop assuming different posts are the same poster you moron

But it's still not a desktop computer in the pocket, what the whole UMPC point is. I'm not talking about a return, I just mean that phones are not designed for that.

>ARM just caught up.
No it hans't. The best ARM SoC is still lightyears being ultra low power 35-45w max tdp Xeon-D processors with desktop i7 multi-core performance.

>Every major OS has a port on ARM now, it's not just that common.
All of them are shit. Windows RT is shit, debian mobile is shit. Anything having to do with ARM is fucking shit. Best OS for ARM is android right now, at least you can play angry birds on it.

>comparing ARM CPUs to 45W processors
You're not very bright, are you?

>Maybe you should stop assuming different posts are the same poster you moron
59/3/20/2
but tablets are, that is really their purpose, they're being shaped to replace laptops now.
UMPC is less ofa desktop in the pocket than the surface pro series is, of course the pro doesnt fit in your pocket, but there are other win10 tablets that do.

>59/3/20/2
Irrelevant.

Debian mobile? It's just Debian using the ARMel/hf architecture.
Its exactly the same as Debian on X86 or any other architecture.

>they're being shaped to replace laptops now.
they're not
they will always run a gimped toy operating system
they don't run desktop software
they don't have real keyboards
they don't have mice
they don't have any power

they're luxury toys for (in)convenience, nothing more or less

I've seen this guy in a few threads, don't bother arguing with him. He's either a troll or a complete retard

Thanks.

except that tells me in 66 posts, there have been 3 images, and only 21 unique ips posting. soooooo there are some repeats.... and since i've been maintaining conversation with a few people, its safe to assume that all 21 of those posters didnt post exactly 3 times, since i know i didnt.
they run full x86 windows.
they run .exe's like any other windows?
you can plug a mouse, a keyboard, and plug it in to the power so that it can use its full potential, just make sure you can cool the thing.
and surfacebook pro, lenovo yoga. any other back bending fancy laptops with touch screens are kind of proof that tablets will phase the full laptop out soon.
it's Sup Forums m8 what did you expect?

AHAHAH. no.

how is a UMPC different than a tablet running full windows 10?

>these gay threads

SMASH OUT SOME CODING ON THE GO

epik

>touchwizz

the form factor of tablets simply will never be as conducive to productive work, touch screens are trash and so are limp keyboard cases you have to recharge every night

>and surfacebook pro, lenovo yoga. any other back bending fancy laptops with touch screens are kind of proof that tablets will phase the full laptop out soon.
not as long as they're all overpriced garbage that nobody wants

nobody buys a windows system to use it like an iPad, the utter failure of Windows 8 should have taught you that by now

>you can plug a mouse, a keyboard, and plug it in to the power so that it can use its full potential, just make sure you can cool the thing.
so I have to basically turn it into a desktop with a thousand USB peripherals (that I have to cart around with it) just to get the same use I could get out of a self-contained UMPC or laptop?
such progress, I can't wait for the ultra-convenient tablet revolution!

no to? from what ive seen a tablet running full win10 can run any program that runs on any other desktop or laptop with win10. even more so if its an atom tablet.
its most likely got more battery power, more connectivity, and tactile input, maybe no touch screen. How is moving on to a tablet a bad thing? if they werent so worried with "muh aesthetics" we could have these thick tablet with great battery life and power.
wasnt coding banned on Sup Forums for a long time?

>nobody buys a windows system to use it like an iPad, the utter failure of Windows 8 should have taught you that by now
Tablets are the one thing Windows is good at

why? because Microshit and Intel are constantly trying to force tablet and tablet-like products on everybody in their eternal effort to fail to become the next Apple?

Pyra is running debian fyi

Because Windows sucks as a desktop OS but has enough desktop applications to make a tablet running it useful.

not the default anymore, and if i need it i can boot it and use the pen normally :^)
you're right about the form factor, that's why i feel the wireless keyboard is a must.
the yoga and surface pro sell very well and are not any more over priced than laptops of past that were in their tiers.
blutooth keyboard with a trackpad on it, much like apple and logitech have been selling for years now. so one keyboard, the power cable, and the tablet, that sounds awful.
actually windows 8 showed me that if you make a touchscreen laptop people will abandon their mice and use the screen. 8 was a failure, but the touch revolution it brouht in laptops wasnt.
no because since windows 8 M$ has been trying their damnest to make windows lighter, easier to run, and moretouch friendly, windows 10 is the culmination of their efforts, the progress shows.
windows will never leave the desktop market as long as directx is around and in charge.

For some reason I was thinking about Ångström, thanks.
Pyra is still weak tho, for a "new" device.
Don't get me started on the price...

Are you savvy on the Pandora and Pyra?
I have a question.

>windows will never leave the desktop market as long as directx is around and in charge.
I never said it would.

your post implies that they're moving away from the desktop OS to focus on mobile.
if you're gonna imbly hartkor then back peddle your statements you'll never lose your virginity friendo

none of that desktop software is actually usable with a shitty touch screen

>and are not any more over priced than laptops of past that were in their tiers.
and nobody really bought those either

>blutooth keyboard with a trackpad on it, much like apple and logitech have been selling for years now. so one keyboard, the power cable, and the tablet, that sounds awful.
it actually does, the entire point of these devices is absolute portability, with a small laptop or UMPC you don't have to carry ANY of that shit, just take it under your arm and go
I went the tablet+wireless keyboard route (even with RDP for Windows software access) for quite a long time, both Android and iOS, it was shit, wireless keyboards that small are just trash both from a usability perspective and a quality perspective, bluetooth is shoddy as fuck, you had to be selective of where you could use the combo; if you didn't have a flat surface, you're fucked, and while the extra setup time isn't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, it nonetheless makes you wonder why you even bothered with it when a traditional laptop will do the same job infinitely better and be far more portable while it does it

>actually windows 8 showed me that if you make a touchscreen laptop people will abandon their mice and use the screen.
never saw the same, everyone I know with an ultrabook or similar touch screen windows system basically just use it for scrolling when they're sitting on the couch, it's a pretty useless feature for the most part
hell, my university is all touch-enabled win8 all in ones, I have never seen a single person other than myself ever using it.

>your post implies that they're moving away from the desktop OS to focus on mobile.
No, it doesn't.
>you'll never lose your virginity friendo
Already lost it, nice try faggot.

Sure it is

Yes, ask away

I'd agree, and i'd all agree it's very exopensive for what it is. But it is the only one of it's kind basically. and they pyra was designed as 2 boards. CPU board and main board. They are already looking at future upgraded SOC or going x86 etc

Good god, I can't type to save my fucking life
spelling....

dont hate just cuz im a homo, that's not nice.
you're telling me nobdy buys $1000-$1500 laptops? Im writing to you from one right now.
you can put a tablet under your arm and go too, but neither of us like the on screen keyboard do we?
ah but then the rigid cover keyboard wasnt good enough for you either, was it?
>never saw the same
try leaving your house more, you might experience the world.

The pandora package system, with .pnd files, it's only on Zaxxon? Also what folder does it use as appdata folder? Every app has its own "home" in appdata?

Zaxxon is just a code name for whatever build its on, based on Angstrom..you knew that. Yes I believe so

Pyra is ditching pnd for DBP system which i havent read much about

Yes, but I ask it for another reason, not because Pyra, also, how do you run EGL app's in framebuffer mode? Stupid question.

>you're telling me nobdy buys $1000-$1500 laptops? Im writing to you from one right now.
in the technology sense of "nobody", even the shittiest of products had a market

enterprise customers will wipe their ass with that money, the consumer market not so much, as the OEM race to the bottom shows, it's very low end centric

convertibles may have a chance of making inroads, but most consumers don't really give a fuck about touch technology, they already have a tablet, they buy a laptop to keep in the corner for when they need to run office or whatever ancient weirdo niche proprietary shit normalfags tend to hold on to

>you can put a tablet under your arm and go too, but neither of us like the on screen keyboard do we?
the keyboard made it more annoying, simple as that, why should I take on an extra annoyance for no apparent reason? I have nothing to gain from it, it's not more convenient at all.

>ah but then the rigid cover keyboard wasnt good enough for you either, was it?
went that route when I gave iOS a try, it was a little better, but not by much, still required a solid surface to use and was also shoddy as fuck, regularly dropping connections

maybe if I paid out the ass for a keyboard case I would have gotten a better run, but then what's the point, I would rather just buy a new battery for one of my ultraportables and run real software

either way, if you noticed, that wasn't at all my sole point against that configuration, it was shitty for a lot of different reasons, and overall it just felt like a fucking pointlessly half-assed kludge

>try leaving your house more, you might experience the world.
nice strawman
both my roommates had shiny ultrabooks, out in the wild I mostly see macbooks or shitty bottom of the barrel consumer laptops from the likes of HP and Dell, the only places I see touch screen shit taking over are in universities because student discounts make them a more compelling choice, even then macbooks have more market share

Over my head honestly, probably find the answer on the boards

Thanks anyways

go to walmart, best buy, costco, other american retailers, almost all the laptops are touchscreen, maybe one or two on display arent...
i'm sorry you have a negative experience with tablets like surface pro and ipad.

i fully beleive that the form factor of ipad mini with a rigid keyboard cover is a great alternative to the UMPC (but not desk top os)

I think the issue that we are collectively having is that the tablets and ultrabooks of today are not meeting the needs of the UMPC's of yesterday, And none of these products have all of the criteria needed to bea UMPC, either they have shitty input, or they have shitty software. But the point i've been trying to make this whole thread is that UMPC's are gone, and tablets do EVERYTHING they did, if not more, like recording HD video, making music, playing acutal good looking games in 3d.

so yes, we lament the UMPC being gone, but the tablet isnt as bad as many here think it to be.

i miss my jornada being relevant.... using the IR blaster to go online was always a hoot.

BTW im using a $1300 laptop that i got in 2010. The motherboard was replaced twice in warranty, and since then i've put in a new battery, and replaced the HDD with and SSD, and of course Arch Linux. If this were to break today, i couldnt go out and get a tablet to replace it (i have 5 already, i want no more, i didnt want any at all) i would need to get another laptop because of the touch functions being damn near nil in arch. but on the same side of that same coin, a UMPC's proprietary input wouldnt be compatible either :/

Lets also not forget UMPC's sucked to begin with, tablets are huge upgrades.

ITT: a bunch of nerds fight over the increasingly blurry line between traditional desktop computing and mobile computing, without realizing that in another few decades there will hardly be any major differences

>go to walmart, best buy, costco, other american retailers, almost all the laptops are touchscreen, maybe one or two on display arent...
but it doesn't mean people are actually using it, Microsoft and Intel can force the ultrabook/tablet shit down OEM's throats all they want but it's not revolutionizing the industry

>Lets also not forget UMPC's sucked to begin with, tablets are huge upgrades.
but are they really, though?
the hardware is just as, if not more shit
they have fuck all expandability
they have fuck all for interfaces unless you go with an expensive windows tablet
the only tablets that are worth a shit are bulk-ass keyboardless laptops like the surface series
they're an upgrade in some areas, but not everything, which is /my/ point

these threads always send me into hard shitposting mode because there's always some guy like you telling everyone to use a tablet instead and how superior they are at everything because they're more convenient for mindless internet media consumption, which is something I couldn't give a fuck about when the entire reason I like UMPCs in the first place is because they're /not/ catered to that use case, if I feel like being a useless piece of shit who only consumes, I'll use my phone, that's infinitely more convenient, smaller, and more portable than some chink tablet with a bluetooth keyboard ever will be

when I'm travelling or whatever the fuck and want to work on projects, I'll pull out a UMPC or an ultraportable and enjoy it while it lasts whether you like it or not, and yeah, I'll wish someone would keep the trend going, but we're not all delusional, it's no wonder to me why UMPCs just up and died, tablets are cheaper for manufacturers to make and more profitable due to their wider marketability, they do a lot of the primary things UMPCs did and as a result they pushed UMPCs into an unprofitable niche and that was that, but it was still a niche nonetheless