Are Women Better Coders Than Men?

>Are women better coders than men? When a study of 1.4 million GitHub users said yes, it made headlines across the web. The story was so popular that if you’ve Googled anything about women and code in the past month and a half, it probably filled up the entire first page of search results.
>“Female coders are rated more highly than men — except when people know they’re women,” crowed Quartz. “Female Coders are ‘More Competent than Males,’” claimed MIT Technology Review.

>The study showed that, overall, code written by women on GitHub was accepted 78.6% of the time — 4% more often than code written by men. More strikingly, that effect only held as long as the coder’s gender identity was kept secret; when female coders did identify their gender, acceptance rates plummeted 16%.
>It’s a depressing result, but it sounds completely reasonable, given all we’ve heard of the incredible gender biases facing women in technology.

>dreamhost.com/blog/2016/04/08/are-women-better-coders-than-men/

so when will you stop being a misogynist oppressor and accept that women are better than you?

Mostly because only women are incompetent enough to use github as their git tool

> The study showed that, overall, code written by women on GitHub was accepted 78.6% of the time — 4% more often than code written by men. More strikingly, that effect only held as long as the coder’s gender identity was kept secret; when female coders did identify their gender, acceptance rates plummeted 16%

another shitty study with people who can't into correlation vs causation.
the shitty female coders who want attention are more likely to reveal their gender. these women tend to produce worse code.
on the other hand the women who realize that this is meritocracy are less likely to reveal their gender.

>4%

You know that falls within the margin of error, right?

>commits making the documentation more politically correct are accepted more often than commits that have an actual impact on the project

>"WE ARE ALL THE SAME AND STUDIES DISAGREEING ARE PATRIARCHAL LIES...unless they say good things about wymyn of course."

Why do these bait threads keep popping up?

And why do you guys keep responding?

And why are the mods and janitors allowing this?

Just look at that guy's desk - it's clean and tidy, proper view angle, proper chair height.
Now look at that IMITATING whore desk - beer, chips, markers and rulers chaotically stored together because "MUH WORKING LOOK", super skill of coding with one hand, greasy markings on the desk, retarded view point angle.
F A K E S J W
A
K
E
S
J
W

Lol beer at workplace.
Fire this bitch.

>assumptions
>assumptions
>assumptions
>assumptions
>assumptions

You seem very butthurt. None of you even bothered to look at the actual study.

Just accept the reality, women are better coders :^)

They are. I accept it. They should please write all of the enterprise code from now on. Biz will make big bucks. Make all beta losers their managers or something like that.

I think a partial cause might be the tech savvyness of the women who are actually entering the business and survive the selection process of previous steps of the career ladder. The actually interesting fact is the acceptance rate with the gender revealed. I guess if more women enter the business the acceptance rate for both genders will even out (while the difference already put forward is within the margin of error)

They are way better coding in the Kitchen.

are you implying that woman are stupid and can't code user?

Haha, how many of these "female" coders actually have a vagina?

You've completely forgotten the trend of omega NEET males identifying themselves as female recently.

yes. Now fuck off.

If you read the paper it's complete garbage that shouldn't pass peer review to begin with.

I wonder what the sample size of women coders was.

Further I wonder if accepted code is a valuable metric.

My goodness ... Are you really this ignorant and narrow-minded? In 2016 no less?

you seem to not understand that github included anything as the definition of "coding", and a major source of the female statistics are spelling/grammar errors and other simple things.

this is a publicity stunt and nothing more. it's shameful in honesty.

Women are better leaders, they are more resistant to pain, they are more intelligent, they are literally better at everything.

Now why were they the weakest gender for all of human existence? Why have women as a whole never accomplished anything of note?
They are leeches and parasites, a necessary evil.
The most moral thing one could do is to completely separate them from society, cull them, and keep a handful for breeding, until we reach the point where we are capable of creating humans without intercourse.

i agree brother

good points

I'm a developer, I've only met one good female dev out of the 12 or so that I've worked with in my life. I'm not ashamed to say she was much better than me. Every single other one was fucking terrible.

Obviously anecdotal, etc

There are good male coders and good female coders. There are bad male and bad female coders. It's hard to say "they are better" as most of great software was developed by males, that doesn't mean that there isn't good software made by females.

This tbqh.

From the study
> Contrary to the hypothesis, women are slightly less likely to submit a pull request that
mentions an issue, suggesting that women’s pull requests are less likely to fulfill an immediate need.
they're just commiting stupid shit

This. Also the study didn't take into consideration the complexity of the code nor the quality.

>come on guys, it's the current year!