Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/oaWa1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>actually giving kickstarter crap money

what could possibly go wrong?

Thanks for the clarification.

Is there any way to restore ABS keys?

The shine comes from your oils corroding the plastic, making it smooth.

Your best guess would be to sand it down.

I have 2 MX Brown boards, one is pretty new (~1 year probably) and the other one is at least 10 years old.

the tactility on the old board is way weaker than on my new board. are there different versions of the brown switch or do the springs/plastic degrade over time?

Restore? Not really. Some learn to love the shiny look and feel.
Functionally wise there's not much that changes unless your legends are printed using a less durable technique.
The key to picking good keycaps is really to avoid the ones with really thin walls and looking for double-shot legends (which ABS is good at) or dye-subbed legends (good for PBT, but can only print darker). Then they'll function for a long time.

Sanding would probably just make it more smooth. ...unless you used rough sand paper, but then you're basically just scratching it (at best creating a "brushed" look).

After 10 years of this i think it makes sense that they degrade.

I would guess the springs are worn out. They can't keep the same tension forever.

lads, I have pic related (UK layout!)

where can I buy good PBT keys?

I think the springs are fine, but the tactile bump on the little pin as seen here probably scraped off a little, so now you basically have mx reds.

Thinking about getting an HHKB - jp layout or a ergodox infinity from massdrop

what do?

Slowly cut yourself and then never ever stop doing that.

you can buy my good as new HHKB JP

I love it

I'd say get the ergodox. seems pretty cool

ok what's ur price

oh this looks pretty cool!

$200 and free shipping depending on where you are

it's black, so you know

>HHKB - jp layout
Get to join the meme club.
Can post pictures you took of your keyboard outside.
Feel smug about having an expensive Topre board.

>ergodox infinity
Get to build something.
Save your wrists and learn an amazing typing technique.
Own something that looks like it came out of a scifi movie.

so edgy XD °_° lol

Do people like salmon or cream/white alps better?

it's pretty comfy but i'm not a huge fan of the tactile grey switch in the space bar, but maybe i'm just not used to it

>Shrinking the board
>Keeping arrows and 10 key
>A fucking trackball included

I think I found my next board.

*Shrinking the width of the board

too bad they're browns.

what model is that??

i might sell it if you are interested, its in very good condition, only the switches seem to have lost some of their tactility, see

G80-11801LPADE

I put tactile greys in my compact sq spacebars. Pretty neat, considering my thumbs have the most force behind them.

Things that still need doing:
>Sand down one more time for extra smootheness
>even out the inside and make it a bit deeper
>re-wire the controller
>make hole for usb cable
>apply varnish to case

hype senpai

Retarded fucking idea.

Even if they wrote drivers to fake like ~150 analog joystick axis what the fuck would you use it for? Nothing will support it.

can you comment on how greys compare to clears? i was thinking about getting clears in my next board but i was really thrown off by how stiff the grey one is

submitting something like this to linux isn't really that hard, a bigger issue would to get it to work by default on windows and mac os.

>re-wire the controller
How come?

Greys are stiffer than clears, if that's what you're asking. Noticeably. Clears are actually a bit too heavy for me for a full-board switch - my Cherry MX board is mostly 65g Zealios.

Yeah it wouldn't be hard to write the drivers I'm just saying even if you had them what the hell would you do with it, map your arrow keys to Y and X axis for a thumbstick and play mario kart?

It works with already existing drivers and is recognized as a keybard, a controller and as a gamepad. Go be an ignorant tripfag somewhere else.

This here doesn't make shit any easier when it comes to fitting it into a case.

Nigga my terminus mini is cutom wrote drivers called artimus. The dude spent time not only mass producing his boards but chose to make his own drivers instead of ones already out there.

>Durr muh button has 2 usb devices assigned to it.
Sounds fucking retarded. You don't even have a gimmicky reason for doing it, kikestarter is a hell of a thing.

especially with all the hardware projects turning into vaporware, or the creators straight up running with the money

when will idiots with more money than brains learn?

Guys give me 50 grand I'm making a mouse with an analog scroll wheel that you can use to play race car games!

What a fucking joke lol.

>This here doesn't make shit any easier when it comes to fitting it into a case.
Put that shit under the space bar and weave all the wires under the diodes and shit.

This is a thread for the discussion of mechanical keyboards and the technology behind them.

Why are posting in a thread about a topic that you don't know shit about?

I have all of the keycaps in my washing machine.

I can never find a keyboard layout I like but I also dont want to put in the effort to make one.

I am so tempted though to do something like this

imgur.com/gallery/oaWa1

Please refrain from off topic posts in /mkg/ we need to keep the board tidy.

Let's start with getting rid of tripfag cancer then.

>gook characters
>generated tripcode
>acting this pretentious
Yea kill yourself faggot.

thank you Austrian friend

i have to say, Cherry MY are probably the worst switches i have ever felt

/mkg/ is a safe space for the controlled discussion of keyboards ONLY, this is your last chance to stop, consequences will never be the same.

Geez, you're one pathetic excuse of a human.

lol
what are you going to do?
cry for mods?

I already called the cyber police and backtraced the offending posts.

Go back to linustechtips triploser.

I know that trip fagget. Cant believe to see your meme again. Please get out of my safe space. My keyboard is scared.

Shut the fuck up Pajeet your jokes suck and don't make any sense.

Man nigga calm yo man boobs down. Slapping that nonsense on your keyboard again. Im an island nigger please kys.

sweet desktop thread copy pasta

>Advantage2 STILL isn't done

Fucking come on already.

you're welcome. hope you still have some use for it

i'll think of something neat to do with it

Got my MX lock switches in. They're pretty neat. A smoother linear action than I was anticipating.

What are the best gaterons and why are they blacks?

MX Blue switches. The pinnacle of utilitarian design. My only gripe is that the keys aren't backlit.

what's the noppo choco like?

So I dropped a soldering iron on the edge of my board by accident today and ruined a couple of keycaps. Hunting down replacements made me think of you guys after I haven't been here in over a year. Thought it might be nice to write a bit of perspective as somebody who kind of dropped out of the market, and has no desire to change up anything.

So, here's what I got.

TG3-BL82 75% modified with removable cord and full metal case. NKRO, gray tactiles with vintage black springs for most things (basically clears with a linear force curve) and regular grays for spacebar/caps/enter/etc., regular linear vintage blacks for modifiers like ctrl/alt/shift. LED's way toned down and swapped out for 80's style acid green ones.
Separate numpad with all regular gray tactiles except a blue for numlock.
2 dampeners on all keys. DSA profile (what you're stuck with if you want aftermarket caps on a 75%, minus maybe a couple SA sets).

This is what I use every day. Good tactile feel. Heavy enough for my liking with my heavy-handed typing. Throw not too long and not too short. And relatively quiet compared to clicking switches.

Caps are an ABS/PBT mix. The high use ABS keys are starting to shine after a year. The low use ABS and the high use PBT are not.

Switches I've tried.
Red/Black/Blue/Brown/My/Clear/Green/CapacativeBucklingRubber/RubberDome/Scissor Switches/BucklingSpring

Others I still own.
Unicomp Ultra Classic Model M
1984 Model M
BTC-5100 capacitive

I honestly love the Model M's but I prefer something quieter and that fits in my lap for typing every day. Not a big fan of rubber dome of any type but capacative was better than normal and scissor to me. Reds were way too light. Blacks are okay but I don't really like linear. MYs and browns were just gritty reds. Clears are great but I don't like the way the force ramps up at the bottom. Blues are too light. Greens are great but they are too loud.

So just one guy's perspective who found what he liked after trial and error.

That's fucking dope.

And you're selling it for 35 Euro?

printed or unprinted? im interested

Was looking at notch's twitter after seeing the whole 'mansplaining' roast. It looks like he's using a Unicomp Model M in the background? How fucking based can one man be?

>gaymer font
>utilitarian

Its to bad unicomps feel like flimsy garbage compared to older model ms

Is the Ducky Shine 5 the best vidya board?

Getting a new one soon, looking at the Brown switches.

Is there a good keyboard layout similar to this?

Keyboards. Don't know what's next. Maybe Poker 3 cause the case is so nice.

yeah i already have a mx brown board so letting go of this one but if nobody buys it ill def use it myself from time to time

Which is better for FPS gaymen: topre or matias quiet click?

I just joined the drop for V80 matias, and I'm using topre at work. Not sure which one to use at work and which one at home once the V80 arrives.

I type aggressively/hard, would MX Brown or Black work for me?

It's just another keyboard, user.

lmao that "bump"

>use it in games to control your movement
HAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

>notch
>based
pick one

I've got some pretty bad ping on about a dozen of my keys. Should I shove some shelf liner behind the pcb or is this a meme?

>or is this a meme?
what

it's fucking shelf liner

and the ping comes either from the metal plate or from the springs in the switches. Insulating material will help with dampening overall noise, but won't do shit for pinging.

How does insulating material make the sound wet?

user please learn English.

What did I get wrong?

"Dampen" in that context refers to making the sound less loud, not to making it wet.

English is a fun language.

>Budget - Don't mind
>Location (continent at least) - UK
>Preferred switch type - MX Browns or Blues preferably
>Layout - UK layout
>Form factor - 60%
>Backlight - No
>Previous/current keyboards - Have a K70 now but would like a second 60% keyboard like pic related

I'm pretty sure it's from the plate and not the switches themselves. I've heard that any additional insulation might he plate's resonance though. When i put they board under a mousepad and some fabric the pinging was like 75% fixed. I'd just rather keep a clear desk. Granted, I'm quite the ignorant fuck when it comes to keyboards, so maybe it was something else going on all together.

You can get a barebones pok3r on WASD and some decent keycaps from somewhere that isn't WASD (and don't get the stock keycaps either). And don't get browns.

That's all well and good for a layman's dictionary, but the proper word is "damping".

Getting rid of resonance from your keyboard via dampening what the case sits on will certainly help, since the plate is resonates into the case.

I'm not so sure about how well it'd work when the insulation is under the PCB, but it'd certainly be worth a try.

I have a feeling most laymen would wonder if I misspelled the word "dampen", but I'll make sure to use the term "damping" when I'm around non-laymen from here on.

is lubing necessary for mx clears? i'd love to try them but i dont like the idea of putting lube in my board

>is lubing necessary for mx clears?
No, they work right out of the box.

who /Model M/ here?

i meant ergo clears, sorry