GTX970

Is there a better cost-benefit option than this card currently?

Other urls found in this thread:

geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1070
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yeah, the 390

1070?

Excluding this from "currently" is splitting hairs over less than three weeks.

>3.5
>Maxwell
Try harder

geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1070

~$100 more expensive

Launch prices are way more expensive than what a 970 is now.

>3.5
Yeah I've read about the 3.5+0.5gb problem thing
Didn't seem to make the card worse than it's alternatives on the same price range.
>Maxwell
Whatever that means
>Try harder
(You)

>100 bucks more expensive
>titan x performance
IM A GODDAMNED JEW

Well, the thing is, I'm kinda of poor honestly.
The 970 is almost out of my spending income.

390x might be 100 bucks more, 390 is priced the same if not even less.

Why fucking buying maxwell with Polaris and Pascal? A fucking 480 delivers more than a 970 for only 200, if you're poor just wait Polaris to drop

youre retarded

fuck off

Wait for 1070 non-reference cards to be out and then buy a used 970 for like 150

250*

there will be a shortage of 1070

Probably not as long as Nvidia keeps dicking devs over with gameworks

>390x might be 100 bucks more, 390 is priced the same if not even less.
No, the regular 390 costs around 100 bucks more than then 970 in the third world shithole I live.

Y-you too.

>responds to someone calling him a retard
>with an image of the most retarded device ever

I got an email from Microcenter saying the 1080 will be out on the 27th. Just wait for the 1070 assuming it doesn't come out at the same time.

>Maxwell
What's wrong with Maxwell in itself?

Just wait for the 10xx series to hit and pick up a 980ti for the cost of a 970.

>tfw bought a 270x instead of a 280x
>now only logical upgrade is 970
>too expensive

Why didn't you get a 7950/70 over the 270x?

J U S T wait for Polaris, famiglia.

OP, i recently bought this card about a month ago, because its one of the cheapest 970s and its pretty decent. It's been good to me so far, i would just get this card not the 390.

Amd live stream Tuesday 10pm (-5gmt). hopefully it's not something goofy like capsaicin.

Pretty sure it was a suggestion for the true retard, you.

they weren't for sale anymore

price?

>The 970 is almost out of my spending income.

If you really wanted the 970, it wouldn't be out of your income.

You don't really want it.

the launch price of the 1070 is $379, that's like $50 more. you asked if there's a better cost-benefit option, that's the answer in 3 weeks or so if you're willing to wait

Rumored to be about $300. It'll be way faster than the 970 but less powerful than the upcoming $379 1070. 970s may continue to drop in price when that gets announced.

what's that in AUD? taking into account aus price increase as well

i bought my 270x for $199 AUD on sale. 280x was $299 at the time and a 970 costs about $440 now

I'd be lying if I knew exactly but you guys in Australia seem to do pretty well with AMD prices relative to say Europoors (similar AMD prices to the US going by what you paid for the 270x and what you would have paid for the 280x) so I'd guess you can just straight up convert $300 US to AUD and get a good idea for what the 480x (big Polaris 10) will cost.

It's worth waiting for. The 970 is a really flawed card and is going to be forgotten in about 2 months. Way overpriced at the moment for what it is.

so basically it should be cheaper than what a 970 costs now?

how will TDP compare to the 970? psu is only 520w (antec neo eco) but should be fine probably

Yeah, it really should be. 970s may fall in price but the 480x projects to be a better card anyway even if they are priced right about the same.

Should be fine with that PSU, the new Polaris cards are supposed to be a huge jump in performance per watt for AMD.

noice

Leaks and speculation suggest the big Polaris 10 chip (480x) will be

I'd say "not for 1440p" but this isnt 2013 and 3GB of useable memory doesnt cut it for 1080p anymore.

nvidiots on suicide watch

Pretty much.

Oh look, its "wait" meme again!

Get Polaris or wait for the price of Maxwell cards to come down.

Fury, not Fury X. But that`s still a pretty fucking amazing leap in performance. Take into consideration that 480x will likely have no more than 2560 cores vs 3584 for the Fury. Then take into consideration a speculated

True but what about the 390

Wouldn't driver gimping be considered a cost of this card now?

Right now the best price/performance I think is the 380x but you should wait for Polaris, they are going to be king in that subject for a while

What will be the best 1440p card in the next few months? A single 1080?

390x is extremely cheap i got a factory OC version for $350usd

They're $250 now, and I'm talking used as their prices will plummet once both cards that beat the titan x and gtx 980 ti are released for $400 and less

I'm not saying till the next generation beyond pascal dumbass I'm saying wait like two months.
It's exactly what I'm doing. Then once I get a 1070 I'll use it for about a year and get a 1080 Ti then keep it for 5 years and upgrade two more generations beyond pascal and repeat the same process I'm doing this gen.

Price to performance either a 1070 or a Polaris 10 card depending on price and comparable performance.
Don't pay just shy of $1000 for a 1440p card man that's madness

There's a difference between waiting two weeks and waiting until next year

Id never buy a non current-generation Nvidia card because of the driver gimping.

What about 1440p 144hz? I plan on doing a new $2k budget build anyway.

You`d likely have to run dual GPUs to get that, or wait for the new Enthusiast grade cards. But that all depends on what you`re running, and at what settings.

Hm, alright. I was thinking about just getting a 1080 for now and throwing another one in there later. Maybe selling it and getting a 1080ti whenever that comes out

do you live in canada?

>No, the regular 390 costs around 100 bucks more than then 970 in the third world shithole I live.
Then why the fuck didn't you say so in the OP?

>Is there a better cost-benefit option than this card currently?
Yes.
>... in the shithole I live in?
Apparently no. Now fuck off.

To be more accurate, they'll all output 1440 at 144hz.but unless you're running well in excess of 100fps you're not going to see any real benefit other than the lower response time. Like I said, all depends on what you're running and at what settings. There are plenty of settings that offer little to no visual benefit while placing a disproportionate performance hit on the card.

I've also encountered times where anything other than the automatic optimized settings runs like ass. But this is coming from someone using a 7950.

The GTX 1070 costs $449.

AMDicks being Dicks

Don't know why people would even try to argue with people on Sup Forums

especially hardware related stuff
or lets say anything related at all

Around $420 I think

What do you think of the Fury X?

I have this exact same card, it is fucking awesome. Small, quiet, efficient, and it runs cool.

What manufacturer?

Zotac

Massively underutilized and fucked optimization due to high driver overhead and bottlenecking of the bandwidth. Raw power out the ass, but overall pointless if you can't use it fully. Seems like they're getting the k inks worked out though in time for Vega.

what exactly are the bottlenecks in Fiji?

you would think it couldn't be raw memory bandwidth or shader ALU capacity, but it hasn't exactly surpassed the 980 Ti even with updated drivers...

Its actually cheaper, what's shithole country do you live in that's its a hundred more

In games it's DC 11 and poor drivers. Overall I think it's thermals and possibly even timing issues caused by putting a 20nm design on a 28nm chip. Memory bandwidth is massive, but the actual memory clock is abysmally low. That's another possible factor.

I'm sort of in the 960 price range but there's this seller on Ebay who's shitting out new MSI 970s for £200. Is this a great deal? I'm guessing the 1070 will be like £300 and the 1060 won't come out for ages, and it may or may not be better performing than the 970 (will it?).

what are you even talking about?

memory bus clocks (1GT/s for HBM1) don't impact latency given that DRAM internal clocks are only in the 100s of MHz, and there's been no proof of non-Nano Fiji cards thermally throttling.

the fact of the matter is that for core specs (bw, FLOPS, and fill rates), Fiji completely stomps GM200 in every metric besides pixel fill rate (i.e., ROPs * Hz), but doesn't begin to beat 980 Ti except in some DX12 games and not by all that much.

something about Fiji is not quite right for current games, and maybe not just the tessellation bottleneck from JewWorks.

what ever is cheaper in your country without getting fucked by import fees,so try to find a 290/290x ,390/390x or "wait card"

Wont happen ,nvidia stopped producing the maxwell gpu for them, so if anything the price will shoot up.

polaris in a week or so and the 390 now

>1060 won't come out for ages, and it may or may not be better performing than the 970 (will it?).
definately it would. I am tempted to buy 970 too, but fuck it. I have to wait to see what AMD releases.

Well I stand corrected then. But it was designed for 20nm process and then slapped into a 28nm form factor. How much of an impact do you think that would make?

Think about how much performance was actually lost shrinking maxwell to Pascal by losing the transistor level optimization. Clock for clock Pascal is about 40% slower than maxwell.

Not enough rops for the shaders to be kept fed.