How is this supposed to help anybody understand how to use the program...

How is this supposed to help anybody understand how to use the program. How the fuck do you learn to use these GNU/Linux shitstorms?

Other urls found in this thread:

linux.die.net/man/
linux.die.net/man/1/gcc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>How the fuck do you learn to use these GNU/Linux shitstorms
it tells you right there in your screenshot

> Pulls up the man page.
> Reads only one paragraph and gets mad.
> Summer comes early this year.

>dat man -l with 3 lines of parameters that end in an ellipsis

what happens if you use them all

Scroll down.

scroll down to the fucking examples, and the options where they literally have examples for every single one

>summer
pic related

$ man man

Start reading

It's pretty easy to use.
/ for searching
j for up
k for down (like vi)
Ou can also use page down and page up

and q for quit

>acting like he can't even read

oh wait..

Don't waste your time reading from a command line when you have a web browser.

linux.die.net/man/

linux.die.net/man/1/gcc

You just RTFM bro, it's all explained right there, what's hard to understand?

GCC is arguably one of the most complex software in the world. Nobody but assholes will tell somebody that needs help with GCC to "RTFM". But many more people ask stupid question, for example, with grep (1) or chmod (1) and the answer is in the beginning lines of the manual.

I always laugh when I read man pages for some of these programs. Everyone talks about a simple tool doing a single task and doing it well, but the truth is that nearly every single tool has a dozen or more command line options and flags to modify its behavior or cause it to do something different. For example, the humble find doesn't just print the path of a specified file in a directory, it also includes: a full regex parser for five different flavors of regex (one of which is modelled off an already existing parsing tool that could have been used: awk), time and date formatter (complete with fractional seconds), a command line option to execute arbitrary commands over the files found, including deletion (just like xargs, which the man page even mentions. Why not just use xargs?), an option to pipe all output to a file, as long as that new filename doesn't break any of finds specific filename formatting (despite the >> and > operators already existing and doing just fine). Etc. etc. for other tools.
>what's the matter bro Linux is so simple and elegant it follows the UNIX philosophy bro one tool does only one thing and does it well just read the man pages bro

>manual
>need a manual to use the manual
linux

Trying out
$man man
should be in any first lesson on using a *NIX from the command line but it isn't going to teach you the whole OS. man is more of a handy tool for looking up how to use a particular tool to do something you already had in mind. Read an actual introductory book to UNIX if you actually want to learn how to use Linux in a "short" period of time.

Note: short is relative.

I found that when I maximize the terminal, I am more inclined to read it. It looks way less shitty to deal with. Just try it.

M A N C E P T I O N

Because machine code is faster than Bash.

Scroll down fuckface.

just use ZSH
PROMT $programm -TAB; all posibble usecases are listed with a little text. you should read the manpages, too. if you want to have help just press "?" or "h".

that sounds like it is literally the same as -h

rtfm is exactly what he needs to hear, though. man pages aren't the manual. man man might be the manual.

Wow, a sensible post to a more than mild mannered demeanor. I like today.

These programs are as old as the sun and came before web browsers existed. Back when you actually needed to learn how to use an operating system.

The man pages are only helpful if you know what the tool is for and how to basically use it; it's not going to give you an idiot-proof primer.

>SnoopDoggyStallman.jpg

Wat

>bro Linux is so simple

I believe the software you're having an issue with is called "GNU coreutils".

Ever try the Plan 9 coreutils, or the BSD coreutils?