Looking for a good Java IDE to start learning with, any recommendations? I'd prefer pros and cons

Looking for a good Java IDE to start learning with, any recommendations? I'd prefer pros and cons

Other urls found in this thread:

javaeditor.org/doku.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Notepad++

Eclipse

I was planning on going with NetBeans or Eclipse. Have you tried nb?

Eclipse

I used it in school, I prefer Eclipse.

intellij. As good as its going to get on java side.

what ides/editors you have used before?
what is your programming background?

I haven't learned much programming, but I know a little bit of c# and c++. That being said I used Visual Studio for both of those. I plan on eventually getting my CPT and CEH but I want to be comfortable with multiple languages for that.

If you have used visual studio, Net beans. If you hate yourself, Eclipse. If both, you are fucked.

>inb4 bloated

dont use an ide
pros: you get a better understanding of what youre doing
cons: you HAVE to get a better understanding of what youre doing

That does make sense, I'm using a book that recommends using netbeans, but I may end up biting the bullet and just using a text editor and a compiler.

javaeditor.org/doku.php

10/10 windows ide

:code:
public class NewClass {
public static void main(String[] args){
int a = 1;

System.out.println(a^2);
System.out.println(a^3);
}
}
:endcode:

Guys java is confusing me, what the fuck. This runs, but returns a 3 for my first part of main and a 2 for my second part.

IntelliJ

Unless you're doing Android development in Java, compiling and running Java programs from the command line is a lot simpler and faster. You can keep everything in one directory.

Fuck off you already posted this elsewhere

>why make things simpler if I can complicate things

>you

Eat a dick nigger

Emacs
Pros: highly configurable
Cons: Takes a bit to learn

If you're working through the book, use what the book recommends and when you get more confident, find something else?

IntelliJ Idea. It has the neat feature of indexing your project files when you start the IDE and you have a shortcut to search for all the files in the project. Eclipse also has it, but personally, I found it a bit harder to cope with. If you want to develop Spring projects, then Spring Tool Suite (STS) would be a good pick.

This.

I've just used Eclipse for a little bit, but at least on OSX it feels like shit. IntelliJ Community Edition is way more polished.

>NetBeans

Works pretty well "out of the box" and doesn't have as much configuration stuff as Eclipse.
It has a bad reputation because in the beginning NetBeans wasn't that great, but the latest versions are pretty good.

>Eclipse

Most guys use Eclipse. It has a lot of features, but the customization can be bothersome. Also if you work at someone else's Eclipse, you'll probably find different settings there. Personally I don't like it, but it's definately not bad.

>IntelliJ IDEA

The most "beautiful" and "smartest" IDE. The only reason not to use it, is that it costs money. There is also a free "community edition", but it doesn't have all the features of the other version. Also I don't like people making and IDE a buisness modell, but that's just a personal decision.

>Vim or Emacs

Purists use Vim or Emacs.
But for larger projects it will be difficult to work with them, because you'll miss a lot of stuff.