Linux """"""""""""DPI"""""""""""" """"""""""""scaling""""""""""""

>linux """"""""""""DPI"""""""""""" """"""""""""scaling""""""""""""

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20110804213807/http://apcmag.com/interview_with_con_kolivas_part_1_computing_is_boring.htm
web.archive.org/web/20110812025508/http://apcmag.com/interview_with_con_kolivas_part_2_his_effort_to_improve_linux_performance_on_the_desktop.htm
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#Cinnamon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>linux
>obv cinnamon

>muh no tru scotsman
Epic xD

btw OP all you have to do is add Xft.dpi: 144 to ~/.Xesourses but afaik only Qt5 scalles right and maybe GTK+3 | Qt4 and GTK+2 increase only font

That's how GNU/Linux works OP, now you have to spend at least 6 hours on fixing it yourself.

why are you complaining about it here and not writing a patch to fix it you fucking goon?

>all you have to do is mess with system files in order to accomplish what should be a trivial task
Holy shit

web.archive.org/web/20110804213807/http://apcmag.com/interview_with_con_kolivas_part_1_computing_is_boring.htm

web.archive.org/web/20110812025508/http://apcmag.com/interview_with_con_kolivas_part_2_his_effort_to_improve_linux_performance_on_the_desktop.htm

>I even recall one bug report we tried to submit about this and one developer said he couldn't reproduce the problem on his quad-CPU 4GB RAM machine with 4 striped RAID array disks... think about the sort of hardware the average user would have had four years ago. Is it any wonder the desktop sucked so much?

>The developers were all developing for something that wasn't the desktop. They had all been employed by big name manufacturers who couldn't care less about the desktop (and still don't) but want their last 1% on their database benchmark or throughput benchmark or whatever.

>Linux had won. We were now the biggest competition in the server and database market out there and all the big names cared about Linux. Money was pouring into development from all these big names into developing Linux's performance in these areas.

>The users had lost. The desktop PC, for which linux started out as being development for, had fallen by the wayside. Performance, as home desktop users understand performance, was gone. Worse yet, there was no way to quantify it, and the developers couldn't care if we couldn't prove it. The one place I found some performance was to be gained on the desktop (the kernel) was now doing the opposite.

>opening "notepad" to write Xft.dpi: your_dpi is so complicated
>muh brain

yeah xorg is shit

can't wait for baby duck syndrome nerds to give up their client side screenshot tools and hotkey daemons so we can migrate to wayland and leave the rest of the computing world behind

>implying that using GUI trash to configure stuff is better

>current year
>having to manually write shit in fucking notepad to get your GUI-based OS to do what you want

Yeah I don't see what the guy is complaining about either.

I'm implying exactly that.

Nice strawman. Fucking linuxtards always makes shortcomings of the OS somehow the users' faults instead

Yeah what's the problem?

If it's the small text you have to log out and log back in after applying hidpi scaling. Same with windows.

fallacy fallacy

it's not "ur running cinnamon lmao n00b", it's "cinnamon might be broken in ways that other DEs aren't"

you have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about so I forgive you for being rude and dumb

/thread

>2016
>only apple can do dpi scaling without issues
Reeeeeeeee

>fallacy fallacy
You know simply pointing out a fallacy doesn't make it a fallacy fallacy right retard?

That there's only 100% and 200%? Are you blind?

no, but pulling the term out of your ass when the context doesn't warrant it is what makes it so

why don't you spare yourself further embarrassment

1. The context warrants it.
2. The context doesn't matter. It's still not a fallacy fallacy either way.

>why don't you spare yourself further embarrassment
Right back at you.

I might as well draw a flustered angry neckbearded face on a wall and play tennis with it

promptly kill yourself

Great argument faggatron, you sure showed me.

"nuh huh" isn't an argument either you sheltered twat

>Linux users and their preferred arguments in a nutshell

Proper fractional scaling is impossible with Xorg because it requires input transformation. For good results, you need to do what OS X does and scale up by 3x and then down by half to get 1.5x. Think about if, what happens if you start scaling windows up to 300.5px?

Xorg also can't do per-display scaling because all of your monitors are treated as a single screen.

at least it's not designed in powerpoint

The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

linux, not even once

I literally booted mint inside a VM on bootcamp on an rMBP

Use gnome 3, dummy

>Linux
It's Gnome not Linux. Gnome is shit. KDE is better but it is not perfect.

How the hell can I scale my Cinnamon Linux Mint like on Windows? If there is one thing Windows is doing right is scaling at normal resolutions. I really want to use Linux, but problems like this are making me mad.

linux is a kernel, that's xorg

Windows DPI scaling.

God I fucking hate Xorg, and Pulseaudio
How can you fuck up both the graphics and audio in an OS?

What are you trying to say?

can Wayland do it properly?

Fug didn't mean to quote you sorry.

Yes.

Try again.

>2k16
>.jpg w/ artifacts

>.png for photos

dude, that's cinnamon, display scaling in GNOME is god-tier.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#Cinnamon

Excuse me nigger but I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux you dumb nigger.

10/10

It wasn't a no true scotsman because he didn't say cinnamon wasn't real linux or anything, just that cinnamon apparently isn't a good distro for hi-dpi. Try the same thing in Gnome or KDE.

Also cinnamon is not linux. Cinnamon is a DE, Linux is a kernel.

>2016
>gradients

ayyy