Looking to buy my first tablet. I want to use it mainly for traveling (browsing, watching videos, wtc...)

Looking to buy my first tablet. I want to use it mainly for traveling (browsing, watching videos, wtc...)

Anyone got any recommendations? I am eyeing the Microsoft Surface currently.

amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Rt-64GB-Tablet/dp/B00ET0H9R4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Dell-2560x1600-RealSense-processor-Lollipop/dp/B00YY3WDSQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1464292208&sr=1-2&keywords=dell venue 8 7000 android tablet 32gb
walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-S-SM-T700NTSAXAR-with-WiFi-8.4-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.4-KitKat-Operating-System-Titanium-Bronze/42300032?u1=hawk-2077593743&oid=223073.42300032&wmlspartner=kXQk6*ivFEQ&sourceid=11798477800217811999&affillinktype=15&veh=aff
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Windows RT
No.

Pick up a Galaxy Tab or something.

Get the iPad Pro 12 or 9 it scores higher in benchmarks than an i3 PC or if you want something smaller iPad mini 4

trying to stay away from apple, I've had bad experiences with them.

thanks for direction, currently looking into the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 atm

Mad your iphone 2 doesn't support ios 9?

Don't EVER buy a Windows RT tablet. EVER. They're legacy, and they were terrible even when they weren't.

Please, explain your bad experience. In this situation, I'd generally recommend an iPad Pro (or an Air 2 if you're on a budget), and I'm interested to know why it is I shouldn't.

Thoughts on Dell Venue 8 7840 Tablet 8.4 ?

amazon.com/Dell-2560x1600-RealSense-processor-Lollipop/dp/B00YY3WDSQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1464292208&sr=1-2&keywords=dell venue 8 7000 android tablet 32gb

Remember: an Android device is only as good as its update schedule. Research how long it takes for a given device to get new updates before you buy it.

After you've done that, realize that the iPad is better and get one of those instead. I'm dead serious. I've owned four flagship Android tablets and one iPad, and I'm telling you from experience that the iPad is better.

>touchwizz

>Surface RT
Pls no

Get a Surface 3 with an Atom processor

I'm using a Nvidia K1 tablet and its great. I recommend that.

get whatever tablet you can get with a nice screen resolution, decent amount of ram, and quality processor.

you can upgrade most tablets easily if you have the willingness to root and put a custom rom on. the nexus devices are decent, I own the 7 and 10 but you can probably find better than that. Samsung has a bunch of preloaded shit on their devices which is needless bloat, a clean stock rom is all you really want in the end. Don't buy a windows tablet, a tablet is basically a toy and you will overpay for windows shit that has a short battery life.

A cursory read of the review suggests the galaxy tab s 8.4 is better all round

>touchwizz

1. Touchwizz is not that bad
2. You can easily replace it with launchers, even without rooting

>1. Touchwizz is not that bad
samshit bloatware, shitty memory management, shitty duplicate functionality apps, ugly looks are "not that bad"
>2. You can easily replace it with launchers, even without rooting
>durr touchwizz is just the application launcher I am a retard

This. Windows RT a shit.

If you're going Android, the Nexus line is a sure bet. They're quality devices with first-class updates straight from Google.

You may be able to get a few more gb or hz for your $ with certain random-ass tablets, but Nexus is always a safe choice that won't be intentionally obsoleted when the manufacturer needs more bux.

>bloatware
easily disabled and hidden

>shitty memory management
what is this nerdspeak? What impact does this alleged mismanagement have on the user? The tablet is fast as fuck

>ugly looks
opinions are like assholes

>durr touchwizz
is more than just a launcher, true, but the extra toggles and so on can hardly be complained about surely

buy teclast x98 pro
other tablets are unnecessary, this thing is best one out there

right now I'm torn between the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4-Inch Tablet and the Dell Venue 8 7840 Tablet. I could give a fuck about "gaming" or the camera shit. I just want to upload movies to it and watch it on a long-haul airplane ride

touchwizz purposely breaks multitasking even if you have enough ram, which is mostly used up by their own bloatware that you should have the right to completely remove, and not just disable, but the fact is you have to do that in the first place

> thinking about a tablet
> considering a surface
> Sup Forums fanboys erupt

...doesnt it irk u guys that not everyone is a linux or android fanboy? God op, i hope you get a surface

Tab S is cheaper, has 3GB RAM over the Dell's 2GB, better speaker positioning in landscape, and a physical button on the front, which is surprisingly advantageous

How does it break multitasking? Genuinely curious

Choose the one with high resolution, infinite contrast, color accurate screen

iPad or wait for the new nexus 7. If you're not smart enough or patient enough then buy a Tab A or something else under $200 from a reputable manufacturer. Android tablets are notoriously prematurely unsupported and seriously behind in updates. Which if you don't want that problem you're right back to the iPads and nexus or you accept it and keep the investment small. Personally I would wait on the nexus.

You can pick up Nexus 9 pretty cheap on swappa

>touchwizz

You clearly don't know anything about anything. The particular Surface OP is looking at is a Surface RT. It doesn't have an x86 processor, is not standard Windows, is considered legacy, and is no longer supported. By anybody.

Buying a Surface RT is an objectively bad idea. I literally wouldn't pay $20 for one.

I would suggest the obvious Pixel C but it has a Tegra chip it it and those things are buggy as fuck.

Don't waste your money. Just buy a huge phone instead.

What's the current word on e-readers? I've been wanting to get one since I have a proverbial pile of ebooks that I'd like to read, but it's very inconvenient on a normal computer.

I definitely want e-ink, but i don't want to spend too much.

You probably want a Kindle Paperwhite. It's a good value, and it's part of what's pretty much the only ecosystem in town anymore.

A lot of people will tell you to go Kobo, and they're not *wrong*, per se, but the utilities backing up Kobo readers are questionable at best, and the vaunted SD card slot is almost worthless because the Kobo's database chokes on more than about 6GB worth of books anyway. One of them is waterproof, though, so that's cool.

Kindle or Kobo. The kindle can be side-loaded with whatever you have already, so you're not really stuck in the ecosystem, like retarded people would have you believe. I *think* you are still be able to get an ad-supported version for cheaper, but leave it in airplane mode forever and you won't get ads.

The market is really stagnant but it's like ~$80 for a regular, ~$120 for backlit, more for bullshit that no one needs.

Thanks. I really don't need fancy features or even things like wifi or a backlight. I just want to be able to put books on an SD card or plug in a usb cable and have a simple interface for navigating my collection.

If you side-load on a Kindle, you'll have to convert your epubs or whatever to Amazon's format, which isn't hard at all with something like Calibre. Really consider a backlight, though.

Buy this instead. I can't remember if the non-Pro version comes with a projector but it's a 640x480 gimmick anyway. The regular one will suit your needs nicely, sound better than a samshit with one speaker, and is only around $200. Also has Dolby Atmos

Get the galaxy tab S2. The S is too laggy.

>touchwizz

Both Tab S/S2 have a really nice screen. Just flash the AOSP ROM as touchwizz is really laggy

there's no better alternative unfortunately

Can confirm, my Nexus 7 is still going strong after 3 years with no signs of becoming obsolete. May even push it to Android N and see what happens

Get the $50 Amazon tablet and sideload Google apps

OP here. I am leaning towards Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4" Tablet 16GB....it is refurbished though but it is $240.00 from Wallmart,

walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-S-SM-T700NTSAXAR-with-WiFi-8.4-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.4-KitKat-Operating-System-Titanium-Bronze/42300032?u1=hawk-2077593743&oid=223073.42300032&wmlspartner=kXQk6*ivFEQ&sourceid=11798477800217811999&affillinktype=15&veh=aff

seems like a better pickup then the ones off amazon.

>Mad
>ios 9

I've had ios 9 on several of my devices from them. It's pure dogshit