>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>You are new and want our advice? Use buyers template
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG

Keyset wiki
keypuller.com

Old thread:

more like eternally waiting on parts edition

What keyboard would you recommend for someone whose only experience with a mechanical keyboard was an old model M

While i liked it for typing it was just not right for playing games as the keys were too stiff.

I currently use a logitech g105 but the wasd keys are becoming incredibly squishy after all these years and i don't need all the extra keys it has anyways.

It's sad that there are no ANSI SA mods for Alps :(

Have you tried out MX Greens?

it's sad there are no profiles or caps worth a shit at all

i believe he wants less stiff, not a bad imitation of buckling springs

Do you have any required features in a keyboard? What's your budget?
Shall the switches click again?

o hello

Do you guys know of a mechanical keyboard that exists with this exact key layout?

It's the keyboard I use and love and don't ever want another keyboard with a different arrangement.

Im reading the switch guide and it seems the greens actuate at 70g. supposedly the rubberdomes i have do that at 65g

I always bottom this keyboard out so i assume i want a stiffer switch then? Because i was originally assuming i should get a blue switch

Sorry for being retarded ive pretty much just used normal 10$ keyboards before i was given this g105 5 years ago

redscarf III

its pretty rare and expensive though

Quickfire TK (piece of shit) or a 75% + numpad is the closest you'll get

Or you can just build your own

Id prefer to have function keys at a minumum stuff like pause play etc. Looking for tenkeyless because i always run my mouse into my current keyboard.

>build your own

Maybe if I had a 3D printer

shit is lit senpai

Any prefered design? You want it to still be clicky, tactile (so basically clicky without sound), or linear (no bump at all)

FIX THAT SPACEBAR OR I WILL KILL YOU

would like to have the clicking sound

I dont want a space ship but i wouldn't mind it having backlit keys, not a deal breaker though. and id prefer to spend somewhere around $100 US

I'm not sure what gives you the idea that you'd need à 3D printer for that.

Or that it'd even be a good idea to use a 3D printer. Maybe for the case, but there's nicer options out there for that too.

that looks fucking terrible to type on.

Get the cheapest Ducky TKL with MX-Blues, or also a very good choice: KBP V80 Matias Clicky (More tactile, more clicky), currently on Massdrop for 99$+Shipping.

how would I build such a keyboard on my own? I don't know how to do plastic molds, woodworking, or metal fabrication.

Thanks, this style is exactly what i was looking for

might splurge for the tkl rgb because i like my led rice a bit too much

You don't need to know any of those things.

tell me about it

Buy switches
Use plate builder tool to make a plate (swillkb.com iirc) to design a plate
Have it laser cut
Put in the switches
Handwire everything with a teensy
Use TMK FIRMWARE WITH THE TEENSY
Build some kind of case (can be as rudimentary as you like)
Get some keycaps

You now have a functional keyboard.
The thing you're looking at in the OP pic was built like that (not quite finished yet).

I'm off to bed now, but it's really relatively simple business. Do some googling and leave any questions you have here and I'll answer them tomorrow.

That looks a little too thicc senpai.

Your wiring still looks like shit. Did you cut a big hole in the bottom of the case?

i'm going to opposite route for my next idea
just pcb mounting my switches in a non standard config

Yeah I did, I hope it doesn't trigger your sensitivities.

My autism demands to know why.

I was wondering when you'd get a gons. What switches and config?

So I could put the teensy there. The useless standoff leg was blocking that space and it's the perfect place for it. Not to mention that having direct access to the programming button makes things easier too.

Couldn't you have just shaved it down? The board seems rather exposed. How is it mounted?

just the pcb
like fuck i would pay $400 for some shitty led minimalist case

but his pcb has slots for a good amount of different configs
i making these german cherry caps into a 60% for giggles

There's not as much space further down, removing that standoff was the easiest way to do it since it can connect directly to the usb cable in the same place where the original connector was.

It's not mounted on anything. It doesn't really move around due to the lack of space and the usb cable holds it in place when plughed in.

but it is fixed senpai

hurrdurr muh reddit flipped memebar

i mean you gotta be pretty autistic to care about someone wanting to be more comfortable while typing just because it fucks with your fake ocd

it looks like trash, having an opinion doesn't equal autism mr. reddit

having an autistic opinion does though

i'm sure reddit would love to hear more about those. back to ripster-land with you

Dear \g\entleman,

If price is not an issue what the best MK you could buy today? Could you list at last two options?

filco or realforce

Thanks user :)

IBM Beamspring or Burroughs dual-magnetic hall effect

Just wanna rage. But I had an IBM Model M SpaceSaver keyboard, and my IT department replaced it with a wireless HP piece of shit calling it an upgrade. When I asked if I could get it back, they had already dropped it off at the recycling center. Really fucking pissed off.

I'd be taking a drive to the recycling center

>Burroughs and Beam Spring MKs
Thanks user. I will be able to find only used pieces. This is correct?

Got my younger brother one of those cheapo zhuque keyboards for $65 and what the fuck this thing feels nicer than it has any right to be. I had some MX Reds laying around so no more cheap china switches either. China stepping their game up, sorta wanna grab one for myself to mess around with

It happened over last weekend, which means it was already crushed/recycled. Also the guys there are assholes about not letting you take items out of the storing containers ( Saw an 80s IBM PC in one, they threatened to beat me if I went in and got it).

Its me again. Just curious, but anyone already tried to 3D print your own MK (of course, the parts that could be printed) and what about the quality?

Another question: I'm creating a hexagonal key computer keyboard. Its possible to use some HW parts of existent MK (e.g.: the circuit board) to implement such a thing just to reduce costs in a prototype? Or I'm wrong?

Right, and usually in the neighborhood of 400-500 in good condition

That really sucks, I've found some facilities friendly enough to let me look around and buy stuff at a flat rate. Maybe you can find some in your area if you're professional about it.

Thanks user :)

Thinking of getting a Ducky Shine 5 with brown switches for my first keyboard. Any reason not to?

yeah, brown switches suck.

Y?

IBM Model M/Unicomp master race here.

Who else is buckling spring, here?

They feel like shitty reds. If you don't want clicky switches, get clears, or if you can't get blacks or reds.

Soooo when are Gateron tactile clears going to be re-stocked on winkeyless? :^(

overrated desu

newest member of the IBM family, about to do some cleaning

Own a model M But I honestly don't use it on a day to day basis just because its full size and fucking huge and is extremely loud the springs rattle like a tin can full of rocks

currently trying out this layout I made

Poker II w/ Clears

Apple Extended Keyboard masterrace.

Keycaps name?

gmk dolch

Is there a way to change the PN function on the Pok3r to Menu instead?

thx ily

no
many of the reasons why the pok3r sucks

Complete newfag to this. Please help.
Budget: I don't mind paying a little extra for something good that will last and look good, but cheapest possible, no overkill.
Preffered switch type: Black maybe? I'm a writer.
Layout: ANSI
Form factor: Full keyboard I think. I write a lot in Spanish. I need that numpad for those ñáéíóú and such.
Backlight: Why not?

This is a disingenuous statement. Browns feel like dirty linears, not necessarily a poor analog of linears. Browns have more tactility than linears do, but the bump they have is so small it is hard to notice when typing at higher speeds.

>I need that numpad for those ñáéíóú and such.
dó yóú nót íñtó ÚS INTL láyóút?

I love my 60% pok3r keyboard, but I'm having an extremely hard time comprehending why anyone would consider pic related.
Do any of you here have a planck or something similar?

i'm still waiting for mine

>alt codes

Have your heard the good word of Compose Key today, dear comrade?

Sure, so whatever. Can you help anyway?

filco

damn, that sucks. not even right alt can be changed?

You can bind it in software.

>minimalism taken to the edge of functionality
>compact sleek sensible grid layout
>no key is more than immediately away from the homerow
>cute as shit
what's not to get/love?

right control, M,,/ cant be changed

irrc you can move FN and PN to different keys, but you still end up with a dead key somewhere

I mean, shit nigga you have to press a button to access your damn numbers. Is the layout better than the standard staggered layout?
I'm just really curious, and this curiosity is going to end with me purchasing it somewhere in the future, i know it.

plank user reportin'

it`s a great keyboard, currently my favorite mech that i`ve owned. the real greatness lies in the firmware and being able to customize it. for example my number keys are on another layer all on the home row and i have a second layer with symbols + braces etc. really comfy once you get used to it. the size is nice too makes carrying it around in my backpack with a laptop much nicer than a tenkeyless.

the standard ansi layout is a holdover from the short lived period when typewriters had physical arms like pic related
it's retarded and an atrocity and you all should be embarrassed to even touch such a thing

I'd honestly rather have a number shift and not have to move from the home row than have dedicated number keys.
But I also understand that this isn't for everyone.
If it's not your thing, don't force yourself.

but there are ansi 40% keyboards
which though retarded i still find to be super cute

still haven't be able to finish mine, but it's coming along nicely

Thank you for reminding me.

>a million and one space-age 3D printed keyboards
>not a single modern recreation of the Hansen Writing Ball

There's something about huge legends that reminds me of Fisher-Price.

holy shit
i do wish people would experiment more with modern input devices

they even started the ortholinear maym

post more weird boards

I love rainbow wire bands.

with pleasure

nope

ortholinear layout is sooooo much nicer than staggered if you touch type. the push to access number/symbols is really not as big a deal as you think. the firmware allows you to switch layers on key tap or key press(hold). and key press switching can be a secondary function of the key. so the bottom middle 4 keys that my thumbs press are:

space(ctrl+alt) bspace(num layer) esc(symbol layer) enter(ctrl+alt)

it sounds like a bigger deal but really once you gain the little bit of muscle memory it`s just as fast if not faster than having seperate number keys