It's 2016, why aren't you programming functionally yet?

It's 2016, why aren't you programming functionally yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

adit.io/posts/2013-04-17-functors,_applicatives,_and_monads_in_pictures.html
pastebin.com/ncKvYdi3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump

just let your shitty thread die, bro. posting qt's is not a substitute for quality posting.

Bump 2/100

Because I'm not a fucking faggot and have at least a little bit of self respect.

>Need at least a 190 IQ to understand monads
>Only 189
>I'll always be an inferior imperative-programming plebeian

I am. OOP is for college students.

He should trie posting anime cuties instead.

I am
It's overhyped and I can't do anything without some imperative code

>It's 2016, why aren't you programming functionally yet?

Because pure functional programming is a meme

Because any programming done in a company environment in the 21st century is a collective effort that goes through multiple people and reviews and "your" coding ability doesn't matter. Any solo project will either fail in conception, or become so good that whether or not you have horrendous spaghetti code doesn't matter because you can hire someone to fix it for you.
If it doesn't fail in conception, being unable to spaghetti code your way through it would mean it would fail anyway, and then if it works but nobody uses it who cares what the code looks like.

>There is no reason to ever code well

>that goddamn fucking feel

Easy
adit.io/posts/2013-04-17-functors,_applicatives,_and_monads_in_pictures.html

I know you are memeing, but for others

I saw this tread a week ago.

I write functions in C. /thread

Btw, why is a picture of a kid being used as the thread starter picture?

Because I'm a C trap

Several different people are creating functional programming threads.

He or she?

i want to functionally program a slav gf

Why would anyone claim that a paradigm where state isn't a first-class concept is somehow superior to all other paradigms for all cases when many of them (e.g. vidya, image editing, simulation) are inherently stateful?

read, write, state monad

you can define mutable values as well

the idea is to LIMIT state for great good

>the idea is to LIMIT state for great good
That's already how it's done in languages like C, though. Not everything is stored as a global variable, you keep state local except when you need to communicate it between scopes.

but I am, my current project is a big island of functional purity. I try to minimize all the unpure stuff.

>it's somehow a bad thing that large, complex programs can be comprehended and maintained by fewer people

I am, here's some source code.
X11 window hider/unhider.
pastebin.com/ncKvYdi3

>FP in c
why

Thanks user. I am pretty new to FP. Although having years of experience in imperative paradigm, it's hard to grasp even basic FP concepts. That article is holy grail of information and illustrations always make it easier to grasp concepts which are hard to explain using only words.

That's why I like Scala. Mix FP and Imperative and get the best of both.

>It's 2016, why aren't you programming functionally yet?
I did in college, then I realised that very few in the real world does this and your colleagues will complain that your code is unreadable and unmaintainable if you do.

But she could easily be a German.