I live in an apartment complex with about 100-125 other apartments...

I live in an apartment complex with about 100-125 other apartments. We only get one service provider (Comcast) in our area. The past couple of months the wifi on the 2.4Ghz bandwidth has been getting increasingly worse. Last week I took the time to find out why and noticed that there was 212 SSID's and 98 of them were Xfinity hotspots.

Comcast sends out their "leased" modem/routers pre-configured to host their Xfinity hotspot on each persons modem/router.

Because of these hotspots, and all the other networks, I can not use any of my devices on the 2.4Ghz network even with them being 2 feet away from the AP. I have tried 4 other AP's that I own and a bunch of methods to try and boost my signal but it's still crappy. The best I can get is 0.06mbps when I pull 175Mbps easily from 30 feet away on my 5Ghz network. There is just SO MUCH TRAFFIC that nothing can communicate properly.

All my neighbors have this same issue and i've seen comcast vans outside probably 3-4 times a day, most of the time in a group.

What can I do to physically short circuit their leased modem/routers wirelessly? Is there a method that I can use to create an "EMP effect" to kill their network devices? I've already talked to more then 10 people from Comcast, and Level3, all of which say "you do what you have to do, but we can't turn off their Xfinity hotspots because they are paying for it" despite verifying that practically everyone here has called complaining about their wifi not working over the past month.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/EP-AB003-Repeater-Wireless-Broadband-Amplifer/dp/B00OOSRVPQ
aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=deauthentication
Sup
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lol you're fucked

Who even uses 2,4GHz anymore?

Buy a 1 watt router + 25dbi omni antenna, enjoy brain cancer and getting fucked by the FCC

>Any suggestions? Ideas?
Literally talk to your neighbors. Educate them about the issue. Get the ones who don't use the hotspot to turn them off and remove the service from their bill.
Go door to door and smash their cable boxes..

>I live in an apartment complex with about 100-125 other apartments.

How about moving out of that shithole?

>brain cancer
Why is everyone on this website retarded as fuck?

uhh.. lots of people...

Most of my devices are 5Ghz, but i'm not going to throw away perfectly good hardware simply because it operates on 2.4Ghz...

for a short list of some devices that operate on 2.4Ghz, there is amrt locks, IP cams, automated coffee makers, automated fridge, Smart lights, Smart thermostats, "old" laptops, most raspberry pi and arduino devices, ESP8266 chips, Wireless keyboard, mouse, audio, smart TV remote control.... the list goes on.

you're welcome

i've tried talking to a few of them. Unfortunately people aren't as open and friendly as they used to be. I've gotten cussed out in spanish, the door slammed in my face by people thinking im trying to turn off their internet, and people looking at me like im an alien with 4 heads.

after 8 people, I gave up.

>for a short list of some devices that operate on 2.4Ghz, there is amrt locks, IP cams, automated coffee makers, automated fridge, Smart lights, Smart thermostats, "old" laptops, most raspberry pi and arduino devices, ESP8266 chips, Wireless keyboard, mouse, audio, smart TV remote control.... the list goes on.
So a bunch of bullshit then? Who the fuck uses wireless IP cams?

There's absolutely nothing you can do in that signal heavy environment to improve your own wireless except stop using it and hardline into the router.

That's your only solution, and doing anything else is not only a waste of time but stupid: Comcast, if they visit the place that much, would be able to detect you're trying to jam the routers and they'd end up triangulating the signals till you get that knock on your door and handed a Federal warrant for your arrest.

Don't be a dick, Dick.

>1 watt router + 25dbi omni antenna

Plan on it, i'm on a lease... I moved in because I got a new job in the area and didn't know if it would be permanent so I didn't get a decent place, i'm stuck here for another 9 months.

most of my computers are hardwired, but there are appliances that I would like to run off the wifi..

>Who the fuck uses wireless IP cams?

Guess you've never done a Google search for random wireless IP cams, have you? Never been to ShodanHQ?

Eh?

Get 5GHz or wired appliances. I will never go back to using Wi-Fi for anything that isn't a mobile device.

would this do the trick?

amazon.com/EP-AB003-Repeater-Wireless-Broadband-Amplifer/dp/B00OOSRVPQ

as I explained in a previous post, most of my computers and mobile devices are on the 5Ghz network, and I don't have any issues with them whatsoever.

BUT there are some devices that I use, that only operate on a 2.4Ghz network, mainly smart home appliances and lots of Raspberry Pi and Arduino junk I mess around with.. Because of the network being all jammed up, I can't even test some of my builds to see if they even work properly or if it's just the network that's making it go nuts..

Dont some routers do 5.0 GHz

What about powerline adapters?

5ghz is only good if your in the same room as the router.

this could work for a few devices but not all.

I mainly want to block individual wifi SSID's from people connecting to them so I can limit the bandwidth traffic

Put WiFi analyzer on your phone and check which channel is better, then set it on your router.

I do forget sometimes that the end is nigh and the love of many is waxing cold.

I say move. Easier said than done, I know, but you really should.

uhhh. this issue is a little above picking the right wifi channel

stuck in a lease for another 9 months.. I got a new job in a different location and I didn't know if it was temp or perm so I went with the "ehh" housing option..

google faraday cage.
See if building will let you put it in.
Otherwise see if you can get away with setting your router to the world region or region free wireless freq, don't blame me if the FCC catches you with bad freq 2.4GHz.

Use a 10 foot long network cable

Lazy people who doesn't want to set any UTP cables.

>I mainly want to block individual wifi SSID's from people connecting to them so I can limit the bandwidth traffic
this is possible.
aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=deauthentication

You can disable their xfinity ....

Doesn't stop them board casting on that channel, also creates more noise and FCC will fuck you in the ass about those.

yeah, I know.
Just pointing out that you can block people from connecting to a wifi network (or deauth them right after connecting).

Stopping the SSID from broadcasting would require access to the router.

so basically, you just said some random shit that doesn't fix the issue.

Not to mention that it would be very easily to locate the person doing said de-auths.

So whats your solution dingus?

See

this is really the only logical step you can take at this point.

isolate yourself from all the radio noise of all the other APs.

choosing a non-US channel could also work, but youd have to try it to see if the noise is still too much, even though youve moved bands. and i have no idea of the legal repercussions on this.

Move to 5ghz cuck

Just use a fucking non-US channel. FCC won't care unless you start jamming the bands with fat ass outdoor antennas and two or three digit watt output.

ETHERNET
T
H
E
R
N
E
T

it does exactly what the post I quoted asked for ( )
in case you can't read here it is again:
>I mainly want to block individual wifi SSID's from people connecting to them so I can limit the bandwidth traffic

Faraday cage?

suggest the managers of the complex to get enterprise level internet connection for the complex and install aps all over with the same ssid, the costs go in the utilities bill, since it would be cheaper for normies everyone drops comcast

them only you and other neckbeards use your own connections

Aluminium foil over the walls, floors and ceiling. Though you wont have cellphone signal anymore.

This OP.

Turn your apartment into a dead zone.

>Just use a fucking non-US channel.

This shit right here

>tfw run on 13
>friend tells me the fcc is gonna be knocking on my door anytime

lel

Not like it matters any, since you can just setup your cell phone to make calls over wi-fi when at home.

ive been thinking about moving to a non-US channel. im in an apartment complex, while not super dense, it is blanketed by fucking comcast router/APs.

im pretty sure my router can broadcast on non-US, but the question is; will my otherwise regular US-market devices be able to use those bands?

Ha, no.

It's literally worse than wifi if more people use it in a building like op's

What about LiFi?

Nice meme :^)

>ive been thinking about moving to a non-US channel.
You're gonna get buttfucked you retard.

How does the FCC find this shit like "noise" do they just have vans roaming various rural and urban areas?

Amateur radio nerds will report you for fucking with their shit, as they should.

Change your channel to the least used one.

Also these hotspots shit out "free" xfinity wifi hotspots whether you turn Wifi on or not.
Even when you opt out of the xfiinity wifi hotspot, it literally still broadcasts just hidden.

>it literally still broadcasts just hidden.

There is no physical way to stop your comcast gateway from stopping all wifi broadcasts.
Look it up.

Call Comcast from a few burners/Skype (on Ethernet) pretend to be your neighbors and demand they turn off the public hotspot you didn't opt in for.

Or, just post a note in a common area asking others to do it as they must be noticing the bad WiFi too.

>find vulnerability in router model
>exploit it
>shut down the xfinity hotspots/lower the antenna power/simply fuck shit up
>profit

This. Put a notice up in the public area explaining the situation and letting everyone know they should turn the feature off.

Otherwise, just internally deuath everyones wifi 24/7 :^). Easy

I pull my full 100mbps on 5ghz from 20 feet away through multiple walls.

I dont believe you. first of all why do you claim poor performance on 5GHz if comcast is putting traffic on 2.4

also broadcasting SSIDs is not traffic

also its not separate SIDs they are all the same

what do the hacks at level3 have to do with anything?

why cant you use wired ethernet?

what is your router make and model?

you sound like a script kiddie looking for instructions on how to "hack the planet"

>using the smiley with a carat nose

What router gives you that range? Nighthawk?

>Le meme arrows of 2016

Welcome to the modern era? I've had this issue for over a decade, start buying 5Ghz equipment or run wired.

You dont have any other options besides doing something illegal.

I get over 150mbps on 5Ghz from about 15 feet away and through at least one wall.

Just using my ISP provided router.

>not apecifying wall material
chink paperwalls dont block 5gh as much as concrete walls

If you wanna be a skid, look for routersploit. Shouldn't really help because the Xfinity profiles are refreshed by upstream anyway. You'd have to call Comcast and pretend to be each family, and tell them you want the hotspot turned off. Maaaybe you can get around it by turning down the mW on each router...

>chink paperwalls
Well i'd say it's like 90% of all dwellings in the United states and it's normal drywall.

I dont live in a bunker and the only concrete walls would be in massive apartment buildings, and generally not the interior walls to the apartment.

can you post a "iwlist wlan0 scan | grep "ESSID" | wc -l"

the only 3 realistic solutions are:
>faraday cage your apartment
>make devices use a non-US frequency range
>move

Use channel 14

which is fine, but much less common in the EU, thus all the
>hurrdurr my 5g bypasses X walls
is bullshit nonsense
>also, anyone blindly trusting Sup Forums deserves what he gets

You realize this site is like 60% american right? Hell, pretty sure Europe is less than 25% of the total site, maybe 30% though. The majority of people posting saying it will go through walls are perfectly valid because it fucking does in this country.

you must kill them all and unplug their wifi routers afterwards

>summon moot
>get proof
>???
>I believe you

>making general statements based on results in special environments
go get a marketing job, goy

>Sup Forums.org/advertise

Go look at the demographics.

Yeah because I should totally be concerned about Wifi conditions in the EU, who gives a fuck? The statement 5Ghz wifi wont work through walls is just as false to Americans as us saying it does work

>demographics.
do we know how often is that refreshed?
>who gives a fuck?
>hurrdurr my country is superior
make america great britain

My point is if you're saying 5GHz wifi doesn't work through walls, you're just as fucking wrong to an american as an american telling you 5GHz does work through walls.

Stop being retarded.

aside from the fact that I wasn't saying that, you got it

Well the original parent comment was
>5ghz is only good if your in the same room as the router.

Since you took up replying, I assumed that was your comment.

How can you even locate a person doing the deauths if you spoof mac? Link me please, shit talker

Concrete walls will still shit on 5ghz in the US or the UK though bro

okay? The VAST majority of dwellings, either residential or otherwise in the US are not concrete though.

I wouldn't expect wifi to penetrate concrete very well no matter what. Sure 2.4Ghz might be better than 5Ghz for that, but both are likely shit simply because its a fucking concrete wall.

He's a retard. With all that wireless noise he claims, if he spoofs MAC they wont be able to trace him. Plus, who would give a fuck about that.

5ghz can go through walls but you lose a lot of bandwidth to the point that 2.4 is faster.

>end up triangulating the signals
These dense fucks can't run a network you think any of the hairbrain technicians they send out have any fucking clue?

> live in an apartment complex with about 100-125 other apartments.
Are you a Glasgow slum dweller?

>He's a retard. With all that wireless noise he claims, if he spoofs MAC they wont be able to trace him. Plus, who would give a fuck about that.
Not to mention he can literally do this with a laptop outside the complex

fucking paranoid cucks believe in the competence of the incompetent

>buy raspberry pi with anonymous account
>set up and hide the pi, make sure it has a good antenna
>set up deauth and attack access points with no target
>vpn in and turn on any time you need a connection for your meme wifi blender
>turn off when done
>FCC will sniff you out and find the pi if they're 1337 enough
>everything is encrypted and you VPN in so they take your pi, but won't happen because these tech illiterates will just assume their comcast is momentarily crapping out