Question for Linux users: What do you find the most annoying in a Linux distro?

Question for Linux users: What do you find the most annoying in a Linux distro?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

See that bended pin? that's all I can see

Xorg
Anything GNU

Bloated package. When one is shipped with 14 fucking dictionaries and thai fonts that I have to remove.

dependency hell

Setting up wifi drivers.
I mean it's 2016.

Nothin in fedora.
muh archlinox

ubuntu version upgrades

was using xubuntu on my laptop. major version upgrade came. broke panel beyond repair. widgets stopped showing up. took ages to fix. nother major version. broke panel again. switched to lubuntu. major update broke panel (completely different panel btw).

stopped using ubuntu

The popularity on desktop side meaning that some hardware manufacturers and software developers ignore it even though it's better than its alternatives. I want to get full performance out of my distro instead of using bad drivers or Wine for some programs.

So I hate all the faggots who try to keep the market share low by bashing Linux at every turn. They are slowing down the development.

Keeping python programs from breaking when you upgrade a package/dependency. Seems to happen to me a bit.

Also, corporations' love affair with freeware binary blobs. Like, you're developing for Linux anyway, stop fucking about and relax, the competition isn't going to profit off your shit.

>Setting up wifi drivers.
Haven't had any issues for quite a number of years.

See that bent grammar? That's all I can see.

Not being familiar with anything outside of /home, /bin, and /usr/include.

The users

Not to shill Slackware or anything (that's a lie), but with Slackware, all the packages are recorded under /var/log/packages with text files for each package with a list of files and file paths. Very helpful sometimes.

I don't know if other distros have similar ease of functionality (they probably do), but you should just use Slackware instead of searching for it.

I can distinguish between something that is to be blamed on the lack of support from third parties, lack of resources, an API or format lock-in or a chicken-egg situation, however if i talk about something that is purely a design problem or something shitty done by a software provider on purpose i must say that, even if i consider gnome-shell to be fine now, i dislike a lot of things on how gnome is being managed currently and how they often ignore what people want or how they don't care about breaking the themes API often. Another thing i dislike is for example canonical asking users to have an acccount for installing snap packages, even if the cli interface doesn't need an account it's still a shitty movement, of course the amazon thing is something i disliked a lot from them.

When the only means of installing it is an automated tool, because such tools rarely account for the complexity in the hardware where they'll run. So they end up making configurations that just don't work with the hardware, then the user is left with free problems (free as in suck my big greasy ballsack) and no easy means of solving it. When the automated install doesn't work out for you, you should have the option to troubleshoot the very installation so that you can catch the problems when it is proper, rather than too late.
Actually any kind of obscurity, for example in ubuntu where someone fails magically and you are presented with a popup window saying "system program failed" and an [OK] button.
But of all the things, the one I hate the most, which I abhor with my guts, is imposed bloatware.
Ubuntu and debian are good examples of this. You have to endure hours of installation because the developers decided that you're going to like gnome, like it or not. You're also going to use pigdin and libre/open office, and a shitload of god knows what fucking software you never end up using at all, not even knowing it is there on your system. For all I know I could be getting a ssh server running without my permission and I'll have to inquire just to know that's happening. You actually have to start wiping software upon installation, rather than install what you need. Actually you still have to install what you need because that shit comes with openoffice but not Vim, comes with pigdin but not irssi, comes with a bloatload of unwanted software but never even git or gcc. And you may or may not use irssi or tmux or even Vim, but not having git in the fucking operating system is way too stupid.
Also those distros (I'm talking to you debian... again) that do not have support for some drivers "because they're non free". We fucking respect your freedom, but only your freedom to not use this hardware if it conflicts with our motherfucking philosophy.

Kde stuff mess with i3

I like a LAMP setup the a script server with a database sidebar from LAMP.

This, those guys who try to discourage people to even try linux don't even gain something valuable from trying to keep linux marketshare low trying to perpetuate the egg-chicken situation, in fact i think they're shooting themselves in the foot just for the sake of an artificial sense of pride or because they see this as a tribal war. The fact is that if windows had more competition MS wouldn't be able to pull shit on their own customers.

Wouldn't know, most of them are incompatible with my hardware.

Being Debian based.

why?

Minute inconsistencies in the interface of xfce in slight version changes. Not having build support built in. Thinkfan no longer works so I screen bash watch -n4 myfancontrol
Login screen flashes quickly after lightdm starts up and removes any typed password before the flash
>Xubuntu

recommending Linux to someone before it's ready will only make him not use it again for a long time and tell others how bad it is

It uses apt for package management. It uses systemd.

yeah but you should take in mind that it's of no use to shield the user from the imminent.
I mean trying to keep the user in this fantasy world of GUIs and stalling use of the shell, because then the user will not only gain nothing from moving to another OS that just tries to emulate his old winbl0x but also will end up hating the system because linux is fragile as fuck, really, it's a patchwork of software from a shitload of vendors, and so it breaks. Now, the user has done everything they told him to do: namely, click here, click there, don't worry just enjoy the ride, no need to learn anything, here have something that kinda works.
Users should be warned that with linux they'll have to learn some computer stuff, and that it ain't so hard anyway.
When I first tried to learn the command line it seemed like black magic, but after I learned how to cd, ls, pwd, cat, and so on, I've never stopped using it. The same with Vim and :wq, :q! i, hjkl.
It's not about being elitist, its' about not crippling yourself.
Btw I didn't mean to say everybody should use vi, I meant that there's a core minimum of even complex tools hat a user can learn in a second

Linux Mint.
Seriously just use Ubuntu, Arch, Fedora, Gentoo or anything else.

Most toasters run linux. What are you using, user?

this desu lol

Everything graphical sucks.
X sucks.
Every video driver every completely sucks.
GUI libraries are bloated and fucking suck.

Basically everyone using Linux should have had a problem relating to these pieces of software once.
Your very first time fucking with drivers will definitely result into unrecoverable X crashes. Basically all drivers have screen tearing and if you like battery life well get fucked: multi-gpu switching support like Nvidia Optimus is not working very well.

Also
>Install one pretty simple package
>Small application dependent on Qt, Gnome or LooksLikeTotalAssLibre
>Installing 9000 packages

Then use a fucking package manager you fucking retard. Literally every distro comes with one nowadays. This isn't the days of old Slackware.

It's Linux's fault that I have a $70K/year job instead of the awesome factory job I used to have making $12/hour. Fucking Linux is always ruining everything.

Yes Microsoft, I will tell you so you can shitpost for the next months about that.

Yes, nearly every distro has this. For example, in Arch Linux, you can just type
pacman -Ql

On CentOS and Redhat you can type
rpm -ql

systemd is the biggest issue. bloated as hell and is an obvious attempt to turn every linux distro into a security nightmare/windows tier curry os

This is why we should be using Ruby with a ruby version manager and package manager like rbenv and rubygems. I used to be a Python guy, but Ruby takes the cake. (it actually looks like there is pyenv and PyPM for Python too).

Lalala, I can't hear you.

>(use Slackware)

The main issue with GNU/Linux is the dumb fucking neckbeards like this guy who don't want it to be easier to use. Systemd is an improvement in nearly every way shape and form. The only exception is the binary logs which really don't matter at all, because you can read them with systemd.
>inb4 poettering is bad because the internet told me so

While you do have a solid point around bloat, it is your choice to go with whatever install image you like.
If you wanted custom packages, you would create a script or custom install image to achieve that goal. There are also net install and server baseline install images alongside the many flavours of Ubuntu and Debian for general use. The beauty of Linux is choice, and you're choosing bloat.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

micro$oft shill

Bloat.

This, every single fucking time since 11.10.
I was surprised to see that the panel didn't break with the upgrade from 15.10 to 16.04, although a lot of other stuff broke instead

>I can't defend my position so I'll just call anyone who disagrees with me a shill

You realize that the ".10" releases are NOT long-term-support, right? If you want stability, you shouldn't be installing anything but LTS releases.

Ignorance is bliss, you jerk. Stop trying to educate me.

If I was looking for a stable OS, I wouldn't be using Ubuntu in the first place. Probably Debian Stable instead.
Still, it's just odd how the panel has been breaking with each new release for the past 5 years

Debian stable is intended for servers. It's far more stable than what a typical desktop user needs or is used to. But fine, if you intentionally want your shit to be unstable, then quit your bitching and start filling out bug reports.

this, they don't play nice

>Upgrading to new edition of unbuntu
>Being supprised everything breaks

You are supposed to do a fresh install dummy. Im not sure why theya even give you the option.

Having to boot into Windows whenever I need to get real work done.

>dualbooting
Is it 2006?

Hello Lennart!