How is it possible that free software is so unpopular in normalfag land...

How is it possible that free software is so unpopular in normalfag land? There are so many programs that respect the users freedoms and do the better jobs, yet most people choose proprietary alternatives.

Please explain!

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why would normalfags care about whether the source code is available or not? they don't and shouldn't.

Free software generally isn't as user-friendly as proprietary software because there's no incentive to make it appeal towards normies.

>how do businesses work 101

Because they're either
>absolutely unknown/irrelevant
>designed by nostalgic *nix codgers who live in the past
>look and feel half-assed and unpolished
>or don't do a better job overall
Normalfags don't care about whether or not their software complies with Stallman's outdated ideology.

>Free software generally isn't as user-friendly as proprietary software
Actually it is; it doesn't spy on you, you can change the source the way you want it to run and it allows you to share it with your neighbor. With proprietry software you can't do anything of this. How are such programs more user friendly?

You know what he meant you autist, 99% of people want their things to just work and free software consistently doesn't.

Normies don't care about any of that

>How are such programs more user friendly?
User friendly = even a retard can use it

Free software can still spy on you.

>how do businesses work 101
Businesses work by minimising and shifting liabilities onto someone else, while maximising and absorbing any profits into the business.

In this way, free software is often a liability, because you often cannot shift software liability to an external third-party.

So basically, pay for your software so you can blame Microsoft! Fucking Microsoft!!

>Yfw all successfull freetard software used to be proprietary.

The kernel is the only exception

Developer-friendly is not user-friendly.

Normalfags also generally don't give a shit about spying when most of what they produce on their computers is for public consumption anyway.

Yeah, and when you have a problem with it you get excellent support instead of a whiny tirade by some free software dev/"advocate" that you aren't using the software correctly.

Because Stallman is a fascist who wants locked down systems that only run HIS software?
Does that sound free to you? HUH? DOES IT?

The answer (if you have ANY common sense) should be a resounding NO!

>The kernel is the only exception
Vanilla Linux includes nonfree modules.

dumb tripfag cancer, go back to plebbit

>I'm too retarded to use computer programs
>blame the developers

"free software? that sounds like a virus"

>but they're just dumb!
And? If you want everyone to use your software, you cater to them. It's not their problem if your product is trash, they have the freedom to use something better that does the job exactly the way they like it.

If you truly care about freedom in software, you will put your hubris aside to spread it, instead of just giving detractors another reason to shit all over you.

>hating your hilarious trip friends

>The year of two thousand sixteen
>no thumbnails in the Gtk file picker

>you're using it wrong
It's not okay when Apple does it

>It is made by paid professionals, therefore it must be better than free alternatives

>bugs from my shitty code are the users' fault! they can just fix it themselves!
this is why the rest of the *nix community laughs at you

>when will GNU applications have the quality standard consumers expect from a product

When the GNU project stops thinking this is an acceptable interface for a program

yes, exactly so.
the half-decent open source software are also made by paid professionals.

>>absolutely irrelevant
Windows 10
>>designed by nostalgic *nix codgers who live in the past
Windows 10
>>look and feel half-assed and unpolished
WINDOWS 10
>>or don't do a better job overall
WINDOWS FUCKING 10
>Normalfags don't care about whether or not their software complies with Stallman's outdated ideology.
Windows 10 auto update

>that fucking abo flag
What in the fuck

What?

Is this some kind of desperate post-ironic shill attempt?

this

Even as a both proprietary (work) and freeware (hobby) dev, i dont give a shit. I use whatever works best, easiest, quickest and most painlessly. Freeware rarely comes out on top, and when it does it often faces other issues like longevity/updates and compatibility

UI almost always sucks and no marketing.

You're retarded. If you ever wrote a single line of code, you'd realize that people put more effort in programs they write because they enjoy writing them. A program you write because it's your job, doesn't make fun. You write it so it works and don't care about ugly code or memory leaks since nobody will see it anyway.

This.

The same reason with faggot companies buy Helvetica for $1500 cash, just because it's expensive = must be good.

Braindeads, braindead everywhere.

Your work ethic is showing, user

You are a fucking retard.

God tier
>using software that works, either proprietary or free

Shit tier
>choosing software based off of a "philosophy" instead of whether it works

The quality and functionality of GUI applications is often poor and not up to scratch. It isn't helped by the people pushing it seeming to have extreme mental disorders leading to violent outbursts and overall shitty attitude.

I'm not the one who made a nonsensical post.
What the fuck does Windows 10 have to do with anything said in that post?

Are you implying that it bucks that trend even though normalfags have many other reasons to despise 10?

Fuckin' racists! First ya stole our cuntry, now you wanna steal our software?

You fucking destroyed him there

Free software: No marketing budget
Proprietary software: Yes marketing budget

Does this answer your fucking question

no wonder why you autistic pricks couldnt made free software user friendly when you dont know what user friendly means

>2016
>not making the difference between free software and open source
You don’t belong here buddy.

Not always (cf. pic related) :^)

>using the smiley with a carat nose

>anecdotal evidence: the post
(even though I don't doubt it)

>>not making the difference between free software and open

it's the same fucking shit except RMS wants to have a monopoly on what should be considered a "free" license. Fuck him.

IT'S YOU AGAIN, ISN'T IT?!!

This thread is showing the true face of neo Sup Forums.

what does "neo Sup Forums" even mean nigga

Sup Forums was once a board dedicated to technology, then Sup Forums became popular and all sorts of cancer (reddit, facebook, 9gag9) arrived that changed Sup Forums into a place of maki, drake, speccy, homescreen-rate and "suggest me a good laptop for gaymen", "what's the best antivirus", "he fell for the %s meme" Sup Forums tier place.

>g..g..gibbe redpill

pic related

"We want people to use our products"

Okay?

>tons of people complain about neo-Sup Forums but only like one or two actually fight against it
you deserved this

except for the term evangelism, what is even supposed to be wrong with it?

go to tomshardware or something if u hate memes so much

Half-Life is open source and yet non-free. Linux is totally free yet not fully open source.

Did Windows 10 raped your mom?

>neo Sup Forums
oh wow

I've lived through at least 4 "neo Sup Forums".

pls kill me

You sure must be an oldfag.
Where can I upvote?

after I cum in your face, the upvote button will reveal itself.

>What is marketing?

Proprietary software is more likely to have an advertising budget

You are implying that humans are braindead sheeps?

you got it senpai

Also, if I watch for example pulp fiction, I really want to smoke a lot. that's because they're smoking all the time.
that's the same for normies and tech. everyone uses let's say iphones, microsoft-software such as office, windows so people want it because other people use it too. they see that shit everywhere.

btw, I quit smoking two years ago, it's been just for exampling (is that a word?)

The two most popular browsers in the world are open source software.

Turns out though that the open source desktop distros are simply fucking trash and no one wants to deal with them. What a shocker that most people just want a desktop computer with an OS that they're familiar with and don't run massive server databases or HPC clusters.

Does proprietary software damage brain cells?

Don't throw open source software and free software into one pot; these are two fundamentally different things.

Who fucking cares.

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

You know what's cool about Free software? If you don't like how it looks, you can change it. Maybe even make profit by selling your version to others. And if you're too dumb to change a few pictures you can pay some shekels to a smelly UNIX nerd to do it for you!

This. See RHEL.

Same with Bowie in Pop Music. He got so much support by Intelligence so he got success.

His success was for promoting bisexuality, paranoia, schizophrenia and other bullshit.

RHEL isn't free.

Prolly a lot of wincucks on Sup Forums use GNU software.
ffmpeg, 7zip, mpv, vlc, gimp, blender....

Normalfags don't know how tech works and just buy what others are using, and others are using things that are expensive, because they think expensive things = good quality. While this is actually true when it comes to hardware (materials are expensive), it fails with software.

See:

>How is it possible that free software is so unpopular in normalfag land?

A lot of free software, especially those with Linux ports, have a tendency to be very user-unfriendly and lacking in documentation. It seems like the developers developed the software mainly for their own personal use and they published them solely for stroking their own personal egos.

Name one.

You're confusing user-friendliness with convenience as marketing bait.

see

Semantics.

Oh I'm sure will come back with a very long and comprehensive list of free software that satisfy the gist of his original claim.

He surly will deliver, let's just wait.

Libreoffice is alright, different from ms office but some parts are easier.

freedom™ of choice®

Who cares about marketing?

Stallman makes me laugh

If you choosing to be a slave you're not free nigger.

but i have chosen freely to do so, wigger

False premise
people generally do use the better software

A program can be planning to murder you in 2017 and be user-friendly.

Makes you even more retarded.

you DO realize by telling me what's good and what's bad, you're dictating the decision and thus robbing me of my freedom?

>A program can be planning to murder you in 2017 and be user-friendly.
I'm wondering how people like you are even able to turn on their computers without help.

Being neurotypical helps

You fucking idiot. A program will only do what you tell it to.

Freedom isn't subjective.
Freedom isn't "doing whatever I want".
Freedom is not being enslaved; living in freedom.

If you choose nonfree software, you don't control the program; the program (technically the developer) is controlling you, which makes you a slave.

Furthermore, if you insist that freedom means that you "can choose to do what I want", try buying a car without money, or running around without legs.

you have a limited mindset, young one.
Think outside tge box for once.

i cam biy a car by trading it for a different item.
i can run with my hands, if i manage to hold balance.

freedom is a human right.

As much as I hate MS Office, Libreoffice is waaaaaay worse. Seriously, it's liked they tried to copy the most retarded parts of MS and skip the ones that actually sort of work.

I'm an Excel poweruser so I find Calc absolutely horrid. Inb4 ur too dumb, Calc feels like a cheap half-assed attempt to copy Excel that's infinitely worse to use.

because not everyone wants to fetch the internet via email stallman fuck off already