Cousin bought a Nvidia 1080 to use as an external GPU for his Macbook that has a 2.8 i7 cpu

>Cousin bought a Nvidia 1080 to use as an external GPU for his Macbook that has a 2.8 i7 cpu

Was this a good idea?

Trips wasted on 9gag meme post

Fuck off

Yes.

sure, CPUs don't make much of difference anyway.

>only 4 pcie lanes
If it's thunderbolt 2 or 3, the bottleneck will be little but if it's thunderbolt 1, then the card will get severely bottlenecked.

How do you even connect that to macbook? He has a razer box tihng?

Dumb meme-spouting faggot. Gaymes are a lot more CPU-intensive these days.

>Was this a good idea?
no, a dual-core cpu will bottleneck the shit out of a card like that

oh really then why can i play far cry 4 with an external gpu on laptop from 2009?

If it's the 15 inch version, it has a dual core

I mean quad core

His is quad core

With how gimped the 1080 will be with an egpu setup, it will be fine with that processor.

>oh really then why can i play far cry 4 with an external gpu on laptop from 2009?
you can play it just fine, but CPU load will be 100% all the time and GPU load maybe 60%

aka literally the definition of bottleneck

yet I can still play it. whereas without the egpu I couldn't have.

The bottleneck with egpus is the bandwidth of the egpu connector, neither the cpu or gpu will break a sweat.

what did he mean by this?

>gaymen on a macbook ever
Cmon, this has to be bait. R-right? Guys?

No

do you get your memes from 2007, user?

>shitty ass dual core cpu
>1080

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Nvidiafags everybody

quad core

Literally illiterate.
AMD Cucks Everybody

He's saying that a retard that would think an external card for a MacBook is a good buy is likely to buy Nvidia. You are the one that is illiterate. Keep on sucking that big green dick.

>No actual explanation of why this is bad

AMD shills

Sounds good to me. I wouldn't use a laptop, much less a Macbook for gaming, but if that's your thing, that's your thing. It'll work well enough for most current games.