I have OS 9 with MSIE 5.1 running, with working internet connection

I have OS 9 with MSIE 5.1 running, with working internet connection.

Tell me a website and I will get a screenshot, if it loads.

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.nytimes.com/
gnu.org/
openbsd.org/
templeos.org/
motherfuckingwebsite.com/
bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/
thebestmotherfuckingwebsite.co/
otakuworld.com/
nytimes.com/pages/aponline/index.html
acid3.acidtests.org/
losernet.tripod.com/loser.html
floodgap.com/software/classilla/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

mobile.nytimes.com/

Oh wow this really takes me back

Sup Forums loads, but not the recaptcha, also everything is fucking red for some reason.

Tell us how you accomplished this.

slither.io

>embossed background
>lots of decorative lines
Man os9 was pure gold

The images are fetching (see image) but then the web gets stuck on white. It never loads a word.

Probably some ad javascript that never loads, who knows.

Let's see arstechnica

SheepShaver is not that hard to get running.

However, get an internet running there took me a few hours.

Install netscape/mozilla

Clicking on the icons does nothing

youtube

YouTube

and twitter, facebook, tumblr, ect

Try apple.com

And how about bing

Ars technica

You fucking retarded? only the useless mobile versions would partially work

Are you? Nobody implied they would work.

I clicked on the Infinite Loop link, to read about Apple.

gnu.org/

Innerstring. Gonna have to get my blueberry iBook off the shelf and try a few sites out.

Appropriate. Thank you.

Fuck off reddit

was this the closest thing we got to a art-deco DE?

They wouldn't really work either.
The only site that I tried that somehow works is Google (the web search) plus image search. Those work fine.

Facebook fails to load entirely (both https:// and http:// version, including the mobile ones).

Wonder if duckduckgo works?

macintoshgarden.org
It eats shit even on Classilla.

>buy an old Mac for $20
>connect a cable to the back of it
>open the network control panel and set up IP information
It's not that hard. Even my 25 year old Quadra 700 sports 10base-T and all I had to do was install a control panel to get on the internet with it.

YouTube doesn't load either.

Probably using too fancy encryption.

openbsd.org/

Twitter fails to load too.

Well. This is less fun than I thought it would be.

kernel.org

I bet macLynx, even the old OS 9 version, would connect to more sites.

Skipping tumblr, it also fails to load entirely.

GNU looks... fine.

I might install more in the future, but I am too lazy to hunt the old version and install them and deal with issues right now.

More GNU since I like how it is kind of readable.

Looks about like it always has. See Slackware.com for a similar cohesion of design over time.

Try icab

Well this sucks though

templeos.org/

Duckduckgo fails to load.

Apple.com gets stuck on loading something and crashes the whole machine with a beachball, dammit.... ok now it unstuck, but never finishes loading it.

bing.com is a grey blob.

Macintosh garden is Error 403.

OpenBSD... finally something that looks exactly the same!

Forgot the picture

Hey what about zeldman.com or joeclark.org they've always been hardcore about web standards and fallback accessibility and such.

Yep, glorious as always. Except for the youtube errors.

I am out of website requests, so I will now try to install more browsers, maybe I will have better luck.

So, first Netscape Navigator. Not sure if it is an upgrade or downgrade.

based terry

>zeldman.com
well, it is zeldman.com indeed.

God damn. Sure as shit is.

reddit

I think their site is simplistic enough to at least load correctly but the javascript will probably fuck it up

but to be frank, except for the GIANT headers and badly loaded pictures, the text is readable just fine.

Classilla is the only choice if you're actually looking for a better browser to continue the website thing.

But that would be boring, since Classilla has pretty good support for most sites.

I'd expect that. Images are just giant everywhere nowadays. What res are you running, 800x600?

motherfuckingwebsite.com/
bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/
thebestmotherfuckingwebsite.co/

Classilla cheats a bit as well though, if there's a mobile version of the site available it will request it so it doesn't have to render the full page.

iCab is probably the most feature complete, latest actually developed browser for the platform.

otakuworld.com/

You can see the resolution in the description. I don't know for certain, since the emulated PPC machine crashes when I try to get into screen settings.

Joeclark looks amazing. Almost exactly the same. What the hell, how is he doing this.

more gay shit from Clark

He uses mostly styled text, and ie 5 for Mac was pretty good with CSS (maybe Eric Meyer was a dev then?). Shit, that ain't bad.

And I didn't notice the res, but that's pretty small, but realistically '1999' (though my Mac at the time was at least 1024x768)

Massive opinionated egomaniacal fag, but pretty respectable. And he definitely writes HTML that lasts.

his blog looks good too

And only now I noticed that IE5 actually writes the titles in little bubbles. That looks rad.

The first one

The second one :(

forgot the picture

Heh, I remember missing those ballon hovertext displays when I switched to OSX.

the last one

...but it looks kind of ok if you scroll down.

>otakuworld.com
Looks exactly the same.

Timeless design!

yep

(I clicked randomly)

cnn.com

nytimes.com (not the mobile ones)

It looks better than it is - the page just ends there, there are no stories loaded

>not downloading classilla

Also, how are you taking screenshots. Using the speakable items one and converting it to png is a pain. Or are you using some VM program?

Well it would be boring to show Clasilla, since everything would more or less work, right.

nytimes.com/pages/aponline/index.html

acid3.acidtests.org/

losernet.tripod.com/loser.html

Installing last Netscape for OS 9 now.

As long as it isnt javascript.
Non JS captchas are a bitch.

Apple.com in IE didnt crash my tibook, but it caused the fan to kick in before i closed it.

OK, installed.

The browser is much uglier, in my opinion. Anyway, the default is AOL and it doesn't load that well, but it loads.

Let's try all the pages that didn't load in MSIE.

Forgot the pic again.

Oh fuck Netscape Navigator sucks ass.

It's much worse than IE for Mac. Keeps throwing error messages at me and keeps on lagging.

Eh. Gonna stay with Internet Explorer.

Not a bad choice. Remember there was also opera, omniweb, and I think Firebird? Whatever predated Firefox. And of course the oft-mentined iCab.

>Whatever predated Firefox
Mozilla suite

No, there was a forked project that aimed to be a browser only, no mail and Usenet component. It became Firefox. The full communicator side w/mail became Seamonkey.

Phoenix -> Firebird -> Firefox

Oh yeah that's it

uwot? That's surprising. Facebook loads on Links.

floodgap.com/software/classilla/

I couldn't stand iCab just because I had to stare at this fucking shit in my dock every time I used a pre-10.4/classic system, it's maddening.

Also the experience wasn't that great compared to other options, I don't even think the guy supports it on OS 9 anymore.

does google or yahoo work?

You can still use Google (search engine component) even on early web browsers, their legacy compatibility is incredible.

that is some really nice font rendering. how does that computer handle the pages in load time

not him, but my real OS 9 box usually loads pages in like the 3-15 second range depending on how much of a clusterfuck it is, generally fine if most of what you do is text-based like imageboards, forums and wikipedia

add an "all me" for extra effect next time

Things dont take too long if you have noscript. I havent really used my TiBook for web stuff though. Classilla on OS 9.2.2 is faster to load stuff than TenFourFox on 10.4.11 though.

so.. there is no malware you can get on os9?

so... does that mean I could.. load Windows98 on a shit box and not get malware from browsing the web because 2016?

No, there is, you'll find virus-infected content on the Macintosh Garden from time to time but when people discover it they usually clean it pretty quickly, same goes for Win9x.

But if you're literally getting malware just from browsing the web, you will probably find a way to get owned no matter what you use.

internet used to be so democratic, low resources, you could used it on a pentium at 133mhz, what the fuck happened.

is javascript the answer to that?

time cube

Javascript, more specifically the mainstream's hard-on for overusing it on jobs it's not suited to do, probably a bit of browsers being garbage too.

I often post here from an SGI 540 Visual Workstation with a pair of 500 MHz Xeons. In its heyday, this tech was handling live effects in television broadcasts, huge-ass photoshop/illustrator graphics, scientific simulations and cluttered CAD projects without breaking a sweat, and now it can barely even handle the new captcha's pointless spinning arrows and fade effects, going to some sites will entirely lock up the browser. It's pretty fucking pathetic how shit JS really is.

font rendering looks good

Slashdot. Kuro5hin. Fark. Metafilter. Adequacy.